the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
And with the woman usually being the younger partner in a marriage and women living longer than men it is very likely the man will die first leaving any woman who has been 'sheltered' totally up the creek.

It seems some don't care about that however.
In the older generation of my husband's family, not a few women have been left utterly confused when a spouse has passed away. Some didn't even have passwords to accounts, or know the balance in their accounts. That is ridiculous. That said, I'm slightly older than my husband, so he may out-live me yet. ;)

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I personally never had to deal with the whole maternity leave thing...BUT...a woman having to head back to work 6-12 weeks after giving birth is barbaric. I do not understand why the US doesn't have a comprehensive paid parental leave policy. Probably because the corporations whine that it will cost them a little of their billions in profits and the congresscritters that are bought and paid for by these corporations are "urged" not to support this.
This is just one way in which the US is light years behind the rest of the world.

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
This is just one way in which the US is light years behind the rest of the world.

Ya think? I have slight hope for progress after the November elections...but if it's the same stuff/different day, we will seriously be looking at relocating elsewhere...to a real first world country.

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Yes she does. Proverbs 31:10-31 quite clearly shows the woman buying fields, planting, and that has employees. While her husband sits around talking, btw.

That's what I thought! Thanks. I like that my mom works tbh. It's really great bc her job now has some perks that I get to have too.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟280,993.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You want to put woman back in the kitchen and home, how about increasing minimum wages so that many woman that would be stay at home arn't forced to work to pay for everything along with their husbands.

I'm for woman working, but you can cut down on the numbers by removing the need for them to work.

Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Ya think? I have slight hope for progress after the November elections...but if it's the same stuff/different day, we will seriously be looking at relocating elsewhere...to a real first world country.
We are heading home in a couple of years. ;) To universal healthcare, long maternity leave (although I'm passed the point that I'll need it, my kids will benefit from it), to getting 30 days vacation in the bag when I start a new job (yep), to alllll kinds of things. :)

Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I am a Christian who married a Christian, and we had kids. I used to stay home and be the "godly wife and mother." He was abusive and cheated. I left and divorced after trying for 9 years to make it work.

Am I supposed to be homeless with my children? Not feed them? Not buy clothes and shoes for them? Not be concerned if they need to see the doctor or get medicine? All this cost money. You can't get money without working. You can't get enough money without pursuing a career.

It cannot possibly be God's will for me to neglect my children by staying home instead of working. It is also not God's will for me to marry just anyone so that he can support me and my kids. It takes time. So unless the church is going to totally support me and my kids until I'm able to marry, I'll keep my job and continue trying to climb the ladder, thank you.

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship

That's my thought as well. I'm already exploring options about emigration into Canada, the UK, or Germany.

Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
That's my thought as well. I'm already exploring options about emigration into Canada, the UK, or Germany.

There is an island off of Ireland that is willing to take immigrants to rebuild their community and commerce. ..can't remember the name.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I am a Christian who married a Christian, and we had kids. I used to stay home and be the "godly wife and mother." He was abusive and cheated. I left and divorced after trying for 9 years to make it work.

Am I supposed to be homeless with my children? Not feed them? Not buy clothes and shoes for them? Not be concerned if they need to see the doctor or get medicine? All this cost money. You can't get money without working. You can't get enough money without pursuing a career.

It cannot possibly be God's will for me to neglect my children by staying home instead of working. It is also not God's will for me to marry just anyone so that he can support me and my kids. It takes time. So unless the church is going to totally support me and my kids until I'm able to marry, I'll keep my job and continue trying to climb the ladder, thank you.
I'm sorry for what happened to you Jam. It's not the first time I've heard that kind of story. :( More power to you for supporting your family.

Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Come to France!! :)

If it wasn't for the difficulties of emigrating (again), we would probably go to Canada. It seems like a much, much better way of life. My youngest son wants to live in Canada when he is an adult.

Upvote 0

Locutus

May 28, 2014
✟22,874.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I personally have had two colleagues who pumped after they returned to work, and they did so in a manner that nobody ever saw them BUT they also didn't have to go and sit in the restroom to do it. Of course, the ideal scenario would be a more liberal extension of maternity and paternity leave so that people don't have to race back to work after 6 weeks with their newborn.

We get 12 months maternity leave, here. Male or female :)

Upvote 0

Locutus

May 28, 2014
✟22,874.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
We are heading home in a couple of years. ;) To universal healthcare, long maternity leave (although I'm passed the point that I'll need it, my kids will benefit from it), to getting 30 days vacation in the bag when I start a new job (yep), to alllll kinds of things. :)

The same benefits we have here. Maybe we'll be neighbours :p

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm slightly older than my husband, so he may out-live me yet.
Perhaps, but unless the difference is greater than 5 years, probably not. Stats in the US show a 5 year difference in life expectancy in years:

Men: 76.3 Women: 81.3

Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics. Mortality – All County Micro-Data File, as compiled from data provided by the 57 vital statistics jurisdictions through the Vital Statistics Cooperative Program. Population counts are from the CDC WONDER Database.
Compiled by the Kaiser Family Foundation.

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Are you saying other countries have better maternity plans for working women? If so, which countries?

Quite literally almost every country in the world...

Screen-Shot-2013-02-21-at-5.02.21-PM.png

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟591,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
not a few women have been left utterly confused when a spouse has passed away. Some didn't even have passwords to accounts, or know the balance in their accounts.
Hi, Hetta :)

I suppose you already know Proverbs 31, including how it says a virtuous wife can handle business matters, including selling for profit >

"She considers a field and buys it;
.From her profits she plants a vineyard."
. . . . . . . . . . . . . (Proverbs 31:16)

"She makes linen garments and sells them;
.And supplies sashes for the merchants."
. . . . . . . . . . . . (Proverbs 31:24)

1 Samuel 25 >

And I consider how Abigail straightened out David, when he was getting ready to make a disastrous mistake about how to rule. And he said the LORD had greatly blessed him, to send Abigail to correct him.

Also, she had the authority to direct servants to prepare supplies for a visit with David. The servants did not treat her like she was a slave and they did not need to listen to her.

So, where Paul says for women to guide the house > I see this means a wife is the guide . . . the head . . . of the house. So, she guides finances, among other things. She has her own head, for a reason :)

So, if a man marries a woman he doesn't trust, or if a woman marries a guy who does not trust her . . . they are their own problem.

Reactions: Hetta
Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
And with the woman usually being the younger partner in a marriage and women living longer than men it is very likely the man will die first leaving any woman who has been 'sheltered' totally up the creek.

It seems some don't care about that however.
Off the top of my head, the widows in the past couple generations of my family all lived off of the late husband's Social Security benefits and inheritance. Probably life insurance, too, though that didn't used to be as common. But obviously there aren't sufficient funds for this in every family.

Upvote 0