Oct 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
✟8,539.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Defens0rFidei said:
Hmmm, a couple of years ago I took one look at it and put it back down.

I don't know if the Cardinals approach is the best one though. It is a piece of fiction, first of all. Second, telling people not to read it may actually make them curious enough to read it.

DF, I have to agree with you. Reverse psychology tells us that banning something only makes people want it more. The way the Church needs to handle this is through prudent education.

I read the book and liked it--as a thought provoking piece of fiction. But I am strong in my faith and don't believe that Jesus and Mary Magdalene had kids, nor do I believe that he was married or that Opus Dei is really some masochistic, evil, secret strong-arm of the Church. But I do realize that many people who are not strong in the faith could interpret it as gospel truth. This is where a good education program could come in.

While it may be true that Dan Brown has an axe to grind against the Catholic Church, I don't think that he intends the book to destroy Catholicism. He speaks out against some of the corruptness, which we have to admit, has existed in the Church in the past. The truth is, the reaction to this book could be a godsend to the Church, if they can harness the interest in the right way. Think of it, this book has gotten a lot of apathetic people, including disinterested Christians, to suddenly start thinking about religion and who Jesus was. People are talking about Christ and want to understand.

A lot of the ideas raised in the book aren't new either. But if the Church keeps an open mind and then helps people to decipher the truth from the fiction (which is what a lot of the book is), it may actually help. Priests and bishops have to be willing to talk about it with their congregations. Just like good parents have to be willing to talk to their children about things that they see on tv and movies--and help them to understand that just because they read it in a book or see it on a movie doesn't mean it's right. But "The Da Vinci code" does make people think, and that in itself is not wrong.

Upvote 0

Axion

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2003
uk
Visit site
✟4,616.00
Faith
Catholic
I read the book - to find out what all the fuss was about.

It is not good writing, and the main idea - that Jesus set up home with Mary Magdalene, who later moved to France with the "true" Semi-pagan teachings of Jesus - is just ludicrous.

The problem is the so-called "facts" that appear throughout the book. And which many people believe ARE facts. These all come from the standard anti-catholic legends, produced by extreme protestants and rationalists. False "facts" in the book include:

* The Catholic Church was a conspiracy to destroy the power of Women and replace it with a patriarchal power.

* The church suppressed the true Gospel as taught by Mary Magdalene and the Gnostics. This was preserved by an enlightened secret society.

* The Council of Nicea voted that Jesus was God, not man, under pressure from Emperor Constantine, in order to increase Imperial and Church power.

* The Church tortured and killed down the ages to preserve its false male power.

* The Church was against science and tried to suppress it and all free thought.

* The Popes killed the Templars and burnt them in Rome.

* Opus Dei employs killer albino monks.

All of these points are in fact lies, (for example: King Philip the Fair destroyed the Templars. The pope was a virtual prisoner in Avignon - not Rome - at the time) but countering this barage of untruths is very difficult. people read the book, accept that the background "facts" are true, and end up hating the Church.

That is why the book needs to be challenged and opposed.

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟89,485.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Axion said:
I read the book -
Oh well you are in BIG trouble now, mister. I can't believe you just openly admitted that. One of the Vatican's top officials is probably on the way to your house right now with your excommunication papers... AND they're gonna take away all of Bingo cards, too. :p

j/k.... Thanks for the review. :)

Michelle

Upvote 0

Axion

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2003
uk
Visit site
✟4,616.00
Faith
Catholic
Miss Shelby said:
Oh well you are in BIG trouble now, mister. I can't believe you just openly admitted that. One of the Vatican's top officials is probably on the way to your house right now with your excommunication papers... AND they're gonna take away all of Bingo cards, too. :p

Not the Bingo cards! Nooooo!

Anyway. I only read it to refute it. Honest. :holy:

Upvote 0

BAChristian

Discerning the Diaconate. Please pray for me.
Aug 17, 2003
Indiana
✟13,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Cosmic Charlie said:
So is Bush's Social Security policy, what are we gonna do, put that on the index ?

Darned if you do, darned if you don't. Had a Democrat instituted this policy, they'd be hailed as a revolutionary.

You really think it's better to not invest your own money?

And the alternative is better because...? :)

Upvote 0

BAChristian

Discerning the Diaconate. Please pray for me.
Aug 17, 2003
Indiana
✟13,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Axion said:
I read the book - to find out what all the fuss was about.

It is not good writing, and the main idea - that Jesus set up home with Mary Magdalene, who later moved to France with the "true" Semi-pagan teachings of Jesus - is just ludicrous.

The problem is the so-called "facts" that appear throughout the book. And which many people believe ARE facts. These all come from the standard anti-catholic legends, produced by extreme protestants and rationalists. False "facts" in the book include:

* The Catholic Church was a conspiracy to destroy the power of Women and replace it with a patriarchal power.

* The church suppressed the true Gospel as taught by Mary Magdalene and the Gnostics. This was preserved by an enlightened secret society.

* The Council of Nicea voted that Jesus was God, not man, under pressure from Emperor Constantine, in order to increase Imperial and Church power.

* The Church tortured and killed down the ages to preserve its false male power.

* The Church was against science and tried to suppress it and all free thought.

* The Popes killed the Templars and burnt them in Rome.

* Opus Dei employs killer albino monks.

All of these points are in fact lies, (for example: King Philip the Fair destroyed the Templars. The pope was a virtual prisoner in Avignon - not Rome - at the time) but countering this barage of untruths is very difficult. people read the book, accept that the background "facts" are true, and end up hating the Church.

That is why the book needs to be challenged and opposed.

Exactly.

It's interesting how you don't see other Christian faiths called out like the Catholic Church is...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paul S

Salve, regina, mater misericordiæ
Sep 12, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟17,194.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
BAChristian said:
Darned if you do, darned if you don't. Had a Democrat instituted this policy, they'd be hailed as a revolutionary.

You really think it's better to not invest your own money?

And the alternative is better because...? :)

Because the State, unlike the Church, knows what's good for us and what's not, far better than we do. ;)

Upvote 0

Paul S

Salve, regina, mater misericordiæ
Sep 12, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟17,194.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
BAChristian said:
Exactly.

It's interesting how you don't see other Christian faiths called out like the Catholic Church is...

Why should Satan spend his time going after other faiths when he can attack the true one?

All the attacks on the Church just make me more convinced that the Catholic Church is the one true Church.

Upvote 0

D'Ann

Catholic... Faith, Hope and the greatest is LOVE
Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sacha Saint Francis said:
Why, has no-one ended this argument by quoting from the CCC? :scratch:

All you who claim to hold the Catholic faith should adhere to the teachings of the Church, which are as follows:

2088 The first commandment requires us to nourish and protect our faith with prudence and vigilance, and to reject everything that is opposed to it. There are various ways of sinning against faith:
Voluntary doubt about the faith disregards or refuses to hold as true what God has revealed and the Church proposes for belief. Involuntary doubt refers to hesitation in believing, difficulty in overcoming objections connected with the faith, or also anxiety aroused by its obscurity. If deliberately cultivated doubt can lead to spiritual blindness.

We are taught that to read things that could inspire doubts, is not only a sin, but it is taking the Great Gift of Faith for granted, endangering your Faith for the sake of curiosity.

St. Thomas a Kempis wrote:

Leave off that excessive desire of knowing: because there is found therein much distraction and deciept.
He is very unwise who attends to other things than what may serve to his salvation.

Peace in Christ,
Sacha

As Michelle pointed out...and now I am...just in case some of us still has missed this particular point...

D'Ann

Upvote 0

D'Ann

Catholic... Faith, Hope and the greatest is LOVE
Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Poohbear246 said:
Eh, you're better off, it was a really silly bit. ;) My friend had given me a bare bones quick summary before I read it, and I pretty much figured out the ending 50 pages into the book: "Yeah, he's going to say this chick is the descendant of Mary Magdalene...gee because she is the only female main character in the book!!!" I just found it really, really predictable.

You notice, though that it is now grouped in Barnes and Noble tables amid books about the Templars, Masons, Holy Grail, etc., every little thing the book touched on? It positions it around books that will support the claims which is admittedly very disturbing.

You made me laugh big time when you wrote that you knew the ending 50 pages into the book...I do the very same thing when I read books...I've heard sooo much about this book...I feel as if I have already read the high-lights...

I'm sadden to hear that this book has been placed among these other books...This is not a good thing. This book is evil and it has and will mis-lead many people away from God and His Church...

I have heard that this book will be made into a movie...it has been finalized somewhat that Ron Howard will be directing it and that Tom Hanks will have the lead role...I'm soooo disappointed with both of these people...I will not waste my time or money seeing this movie...

I realize that the Cardinal requested that we not read this book...I don't understand why people want to disobey this Cardinal? He is giving us a directive...and shouldn't we choose...by our own freewill...to obey this directive for our own soul's sake...? Shouldn't we read books that build us, not test us or test our faith? Doesn't our faith and strength and courage already get enough testing without us looking for more...just my humble opinion...please don't flame me... I'm just trying to understand all of the different concepts. Those that have read it...did it help you? Was it edifying? Did it help build your trust and faith in God? Did it really help you with helping others to know God's truth? Honest questions that I have to start asking myself when I pick up a book that isn't a "good" book to read... I have no room to throw stones...I'm not go to even tell you all what kind of books I have read in the past...LOL :) This thread has accomplished one thing for me...it has brought to my conscious the importance of being careful what I allow my mind to learn by reading...

God's Peace,

D'Ann

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Poohbear246

Feb 17, 2005
✟1,702.00
Faith
Catholic
D'Ann said:
You made me laugh big time when you wrote that you knew the ending 50 pages into the book...I do the very same thing when I read books...I've heard sooo much about this book...I feel as if I have already read the high-lights...

In which case, you know enough. It's one of those books where you read it, tally the amount of time you spent reading it and think: that is time that I could have spent doing laundry! :)

D'Ann said:
I'm sadden to hear that this book has been placed among these other books...This is not a good thing.

Yes, the bookstores are looking to profit from its popularity by giving people the tools to further research the stuff that the book talks about. Brown cites some "source material" on which he bases his claims: that was being sold next to the book. I saw a few of those titles that aimed to debunk the DaVinci code's claims, but it was largely outnumbered by the titles that were meant to confirm it. The advertising methods used in the very placement of the book on the display table were really unfair. That is probably a large part of why people may think it's true. You could look at the display and think: Hey! Look at all those other books that Dan Brown got his "facts" from -- that must mean there's something to it.

D'Ann said:
have the lead role...I'm soooo disappointed with both of these people...I will not waste my time or money seeing this movie...

That is so disappointing. I generally like Tom Hanks, with a couple exceptions. I'll probably pass on the movie too.

D'Ann said:
I realize that the Cardinal requested that we not read this book...I don't understand why people want to disobey this Cardinal? He is giving us a directive...and shouldn't we choose...by our own freewill...to obey this directive for our own soul's sake...?

I think whenever the church requests something like that, people have a tendency to freak out and assume that it infringes on our rights, just because it is the church that's saying it. But the Cardinal makes sense. It's kind of like what we were talking about before with horror movies. If you know that it is going to scare you or trouble yuou unduly, don't watch them. :)

D'Ann said:
Shouldn't we read books that build us, not test us or test our faith?

Definitely. :) As one poster said before, after having a firm grounding in our faith, it's interesting and helpful to read these other texts if only to refute them. If someone asks me if the DaVinci code is true, I can tell him why it is not. :D You can help other people out that way, especially since it has exploded into such a phenomenon!

D'Ann said:
without us looking for more...just my humble opinion...please don't flame me...

Not at all! You have interesting opinions!

D'Ann said:
read it...did it help you? Was it edifying? Did it help build your trust and faith in God? Did it really help you with helping others to know God's truth?

Well, like I said before, I could have been doing laundry or cleaning the bathroom. :) But it did start really interesting debates and conversations that I think were helpful in clarifying what I and my friend -- the one who first told me about it -- believe. So in that sense, I guess so!
Have a great day!
Colleen

Reactions: churl
Upvote 0

MichaelFJF

Nov 13, 2002
Utah
✟12,597.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
proud2bcatholic said:
I did my research, thank you.

And we're still free to make our own choices, he's speaking as a spiritual father to the flock, we can choose to listen or not, there is no consequence (materially speaking) to not listening to him.

For example, God gave us the 10 commandments, however He didn't say we couldn't make our own choices.

So, where again, did the Cardinal say we can't make our own choices?

You're equating a cardinal's book review with the 10 commandments? How interesting.

Upvote 0

ProCommunioneFacior

I'm an ultra-traditionalist, run for your life ;)
Oct 30, 2003
Mesa, Arizona
Visit site
✟21,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
MichaelFJF said:
You're equating a cardinal's book review with the 10 commandments? How interesting.

Nope, I did not say anything about the gravity about not following the Cardinal's request, I'm just saying like everything else, we have a choice.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.