✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Paul S said:
Even though God made us free to make our own choices, we have to live with the consequences. And one possible consequence of our choices is hell.

The job of the Church is to save souls. It's not to promote choice. Although it probably wouldn't work nowadays, if censoring a book saved souls, then censor away.

If someone said "don't stick your head in the oven" or "don't play in traffic", you still have the choice to do it and possibly die, but probably nobody would say this advice is bad. The Church saying "don't read The Da Vinci Code" is no different, and actually even more important, since losing one's soul is far worse than losing one's life.

We need more bishops like this Cardinal, willing to call evil evil.

Amen. I didn't mean to apply that the Cardinal shouldn't give us direction or that we shouldn't obey or listen to good advice...I whole heartedly agree with you and Proud2bCatholic...

I'm just grateful that I didn't waste my time reading this book...thank God...KWIM? LOL :)

God's Peace,

D'Ann

Upvote 0

colleen

We are an Easter people!
Mar 8, 2002
✟21,098.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Let's phrase this issue a little differently:

My parents didn't allow me to dress a certain way, watch certain movies, or read certain books when I was a child/teenage, because they thought those things could only do me harm. As I grew older they let me make my own choices, but still pointed me in the right direction. They are still guiding me in the right places.

The Church is basically our parent. Part of their role is to shepard us. The Cardinal is asking not demanding that we can't read the book. He is warning his children that this book will probably not be helpful to most and can be very damaging to some. As adults we have the choice to read or not read the book (I read it because people I had finally convinced the Catholic Church wasn't the harlot of Babylon were going to read it and I wanted to be prepared), but we should still be seeking out the guidance and counsel of our church.

We still have a choice. The Cardinal is trying to lead is flock to the option which will do the most good for the most people. And, from experience, I would say for the average cafeteria Catholic the best option is probably not to read it.

Colleen

Upvote 0

D'Ann

Catholic... Faith, Hope and the greatest is LOVE
Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
[Q]We still have a choice. The Cardinal is trying to lead is flock to the option which will do the most good for the most people. And, from experience, I would say for the average cafeteria Catholic the best option is probably not to read it.

Colleen

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the underline here...but it seems you might be suggesting that those of us who choose NOT to read this book...are Cafeteria Catholics? Please tell me that I'm wrong or that I have misunderstood.

You do not know me, you do not know the work that I have done...I'm hoping that you are not judging anyone based on if they have read or haven't read this stupid book...please forgive me if I have offended you...that is not my intention.

I don't have a lot of time to read the books that I do want to read like I still need to read Scott Hahn's book I Swear To God...There are soooo many books about Mary and Fatima that I have yet to read...I'm somewhat a new Catholic and I have been spending a few years now reading many apologetic books and have done some apologetics work...So, forgive me for not wanting to waste what little time I do have... reading a book full of lies about our CC...even though it is fictional.

Now, if in my apologetics work, I come across someone who has read this book and I need to be prepared to give an answer for the faith, then well, I'll send them to YOU...LOL :) Or my husband.

God's Peace and Goodness to You and Yours,

D'Ann

Upvote 0

ProCommunioneFacior

I'm an ultra-traditionalist, run for your life ;)
Oct 30, 2003
Mesa, Arizona
Visit site
✟21,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
D'Ann said:
[Q]We still have a choice. The Cardinal is trying to lead is flock to the option which will do the most good for the most people. And, from experience, I would say for the average cafeteria Catholic the best option is probably not to read it.

Colleen
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the underline here...but it seems you might be suggesting that those of us who choose NOT to read this book...are Cafeteria Catholics? Please tell me that I'm wrong or that I have misunderstood.

You do not know me, you do not know the work that I have done...I'm hoping that you are not judging anyone based on if they have read or haven't read this stupid book...please forgive me if I have offended you...that is not my intention.

I don't have a lot of time to read the books that I do want to read like I still need to read Scott Hahn's book I Swear To God...There are soooo many books about Mary and Fatima that I have yet to read...I'm somewhat a new Catholic and I have been spending a few years now reading many apologetic books and have done some apologetics work...So, forgive me for not wanting to waste what little time I do have... reading a book full of lies about our CC...even though it is fictional.

Now, if in my apologetics work, I come across someone who has read this book and I need to be prepared to give an answer for the faith, then well, I'll send them to YOU...LOL :) Or my husband.

God's Peace and Goodness to You and Yours,

D'Ann

D'Ann,

I think what Colleen was saying is that she doesn't think people should read this book, ESPECIALLY cafeteria Catholics.

She is probably saying that cafeteria Catholics (Catholics that choose what they want to believe) should not read this because they are either not well informed about their faith or they look for reasons to attack the faith and change it as they see fit.

Upvote 0

D'Ann

Catholic... Faith, Hope and the greatest is LOVE
Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
proud2bcatholic said:
D'Ann said:

Colleen

D'Ann,

I think what Colleen was saying is that she doesn't think people should read this book, ESPECIALLY cafeteria Catholics.

She is probably saying that cafeteria Catholics (Catholics that choose what they want to believe) should not read this because they are either not well informed about their faith or they look for reasons to attack the faith and change it as they see fit.

Thank you...that makes a lot more sense then what I was thinking...thanks for clearing that up...Can I delete my last post? LOL :)

God's Peace,

D'Ann

Upvote 0

SarahEngland

Mar 14, 2005
✟255.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I bought"The Da Vinci Code" last year, Its sitting on my bookshelf I 've never had the time to read it. I only bought it because I recognised the title and I had heard it was a good read. I had no idea about the content of the book, from what I have heard though it is a fictious novel, How can people think it is a factual book?
I didn't know it was anti catholic in content, so prehaps not a good book to have on my shelf as I am researching Catholicism, I know better than to go to Dan Brown for answers.

Upvote 0

Paul S

Salve, regina, mater misericordiæ
Sep 12, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟17,194.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
SarahEngland said:
I bought"The Da Vinci Code" last year, Its sitting on my bookshelf I 've never had the time to read it. I only bought it because I recognised the title and I had heard it was a good read. I had no idea about the content of the book, from what I have heard though it is a fictious novel, How can people think it is a factual book?

I think it's because people want to think it's factual - we all love a conspiracy, especially when we think we've figured it out and we know who the bad guys are.

And the problems within the Church lately, particular the sex abuse committed by priests, doesn't help.

But Catholics who know their faith know that the Church is full of sinners, but she is protected from teaching error by the Holy Ghost. The first Pope even denied Jesus three times. There have been some really bad Popes, but after 2000 years, the Church is still here, teaching the same things she's always taught. No other human institution has done that - God must be watching over the Church.

Upvote 0

Metanoia02

Owner of the invisible &a mp;
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟20,203.00
Faith
Catholic
MichaelFJF said:
I swore to myself I was done with this thread, but this is quote is ridiculous. Anyone who 'loses their faith' over a piece of fiction is in trouble long before they pick up the book.

So I guess that means they don't "deserve" to be warned. What an utterly elitist attitude.

Let them eat cake!!

Reactions: Miss Shelby
Upvote 0

paulus7

Mar 10, 2005
metro Boston
✟184.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
...but I wouldn't base my faith upon it. What is so disturbing is how many people I've met who are willing to accept what Dan Brown has written at face value as fact.

Personally, I believe people are looking for something to believe in, and the presentation Brown makes is what they find appealing. I would suggest seekers go to the source documents and the Bible for more reliable information.

with blessings,
Paulus7

Upvote 0

Sacha Saint Francis

Disillusioned
Jul 13, 2004
Vancouver
✟1,111.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Why, has no-one ended this argument by quoting from the CCC? :scratch:

All you who claim to hold the Catholic faith should adhere to the teachings of the Church, which are as follows:

2088 The first commandment requires us to nourish and protect our faith with prudence and vigilance, and to reject everything that is opposed to it. There are various ways of sinning against faith:
Voluntary doubt about the faith disregards or refuses to hold as true what God has revealed and the Church proposes for belief. Involuntary doubt refers to hesitation in believing, difficulty in overcoming objections connected with the faith, or also anxiety aroused by its obscurity. If deliberately cultivated doubt can lead to spiritual blindness.

We are taught that to read things that could inspire doubts, is not only a sin, but it is taking the Great Gift of Faith for granted, endangering your Faith for the sake of curiosity.

St. Thomas a Kempis wrote:

Leave off that excessive desire of knowing: because there is found therein much distraction and deciept.
He is very unwise who attends to other things than what may serve to his salvation.

Peace in Christ,
Sacha

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MichaelFJF

Nov 13, 2002
Utah
✟12,597.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
proud2bcatholic said:
:doh:

And where in the quote of the Cardinal or anybody here does it say that people should not be making their own choices?

That's a nice cute smiley you used there, but before you use it next time, you really should do some research:

“Don’t buy this. Don’t read this because this is rotten food,” said Bertone, the highest ranking Catholic churchman to speak out against the blockbuster.

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟89,685.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Sacha Saint Francis said:
Why, has no-one ended this argument by quoting from the CCC? :scratch:

All you who claim to hold the Catholic faith should adhere to the teachings of the Church, which are as follows:

2088 The first commandment requires us to nourish and protect our faith with prudence and vigilance, and to reject everything that is opposed to it. There are various ways of sinning against faith:
Voluntary doubt about the faith disregards or refuses to hold as true what God has revealed and the Church proposes for belief. Involuntary doubt refers to hesitation in believing, difficulty in overcoming objections connected with the faith, or also anxiety aroused by its obscurity. If deliberately cultivated doubt can lead to spiritual blindness.

We are taught that to read things that could inspire doubts, is not only a sin, but it is taking the Great Gift of Faith for granted, endangering your Faith for the sake of curiosity.

St. Thomas a Kempis wrote:

Leave off that excessive desire of knowing: because there is found therein much distraction and deciept.
He is very unwise who attends to other things than what may serve to his salvation.

Peace in Christ,
Sacha

Just in case anyone missed it.

Michelle

Upvote 0

ProCommunioneFacior

I'm an ultra-traditionalist, run for your life ;)
Oct 30, 2003
Mesa, Arizona
Visit site
✟21,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
MichaelFJF said:
That's a nice cute smiley you used there, but before you use it next time, you really should do some research:

I did my research, thank you.

And we're still free to make our own choices, he's speaking as a spiritual father to the flock, we can choose to listen or not, there is no consequence (materially speaking) to not listening to him.

For example, God gave us the 10 commandments, however He didn't say we couldn't make our own choices.

So, where again, did the Cardinal say we can't make our own choices?

Upvote 0

Paul S

Sep 12, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟17,194.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
MichaelFJF said:

Yes, the Cardinal is telling us not to exercise their choice to buy this book. I'm sure he also tells people to not exercise their choice to stop believing in God.

Both choices can send a person to hell - it's his job to tell people not to choose evil. That's why God gave us the Church.

Upvote 0

Poohbear246

Feb 17, 2005
✟1,702.00
Faith
Catholic
D'ann said:
I'm just grateful that I didn't waste my time reading this book...thank God..

Eh, you're better off, it was a really silly bit. ;) My friend had given me a bare bones quick summary before I read it, and I pretty much figured out the ending 50 pages into the book: "Yeah, he's going to say this chick is the descendant of Mary Magdalene...gee because she is the only female main character in the book!!!" I just found it really, really predictable.

You notice, though that it is now grouped in Barnes and Noble tables amid books about the Templars, Masons, Holy Grail, etc., every little thing the book touched on? It positions it around books that will support the claims which is admittedly very disturbing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Poohbear246

Feb 17, 2005
✟1,702.00
Faith
Catholic
Presence of the divine feminine can be gleaned in alot of Catholic literature, NOT in the way Brown presents it which is just....really weird. I don't mean in the sense that one should worship Mary Magdelene or Virgin Mary, but in the sense that Jesus' physical suffering and redemption holds a very powerful message for women as mothers and nurturers. His suffering is uniquely feminine in its physicality and aftermath. He birthed human salvation with blood. (My thesis. :p Not inspired at all by that ****** book!!!)

Upvote 0

NDIrish

Senior Veteran
Oct 8, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟13,979.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Paul S said:
Yes, the Cardinal is telling us not to exercise their choice to buy this book. I'm sure he also tells people to not exercise their choice to stop believing in God.

Both choices can send a person to hell - it's his job to tell people not to choose evil. That's why God gave us the Church.

Oh come on Paul, don't bring up "hell". Didn't you know that we don't believe that anymore? :doh:

Upvote 0

Paul S

Sep 12, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟17,194.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
NDIrish said:
Oh come on Paul, don't bring up "hell". Didn't you know that we don't believe that anymore? :doh:

Silly me. :)

I forget we got rid of hell when we got rid of altar rails, sin, and Latin.

And that's just the way the devil likes it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.