Nov 14, 2003
Boston
Visit site
✟8,053.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
This brought down my day a bit. A great theologian and servant of God has gone to his heavenly home. May he rest in peace.
ZE08121205 - 2008-12-12
Permalink: http://zenit.org/article-24544?l=english
Cardinal Dulles Dead at 90

Scholar Suffered From Post-Polio Syndrome

NEW YORK, DEC. 12, 2008 (Zenit.org).- The New York Province of the Society of Jesus reported that renowned theologian and prolific author Cardinal Avery Dulles died this morning at 90.
Avery Dulles was born Aug. 24, 1918, in Auburn, New York. He was the son of John Foster Dulles, who later served as U.S. Secretary of State under President Dwight Eisenhower.

Dulles converted to Catholicism in 1940 while studying at Harvard University. After graduation he continued at Harvard studying law, but after a year and a half he left the university to join the Navy during World War II, where he rose to the rank of lieutenant.

He entered the Jesuits in 1946 and was ordained 10 years later. He earned a doctorate from the Pontifical Gregorian University in Rome in 1960.

Father Dulles taught theology at Woodstock College from 1960 to 1974 and at the Catholic University of America from 1974 to 1988.

He served as the Laurence J. McGinley Professor of Religion and Society at Fordham University from 1988 until April of this year.

He was created a cardinal by Pope John Paul II in 2001, making him the first American-born theologian not a bishop to receive this honor.

To read the rest of the article click the link on top.

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The thing about Cardinal Dulles that's fascinating is that he was the first and, as far as I know, only Cardinal who was never a Bishop. He was a priest who was created a Cardinal by Pope John Paul II. I think that says a lot about him that the Pope would make such an exception for him to bypass being a Bishop and go straight to Cardinal.

May God have mercy on him, and may he rest in peace. :crossrc:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.