• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Cannot do my hobby because of a vow

123flower

Apr 22, 2012
✟25,520.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Lately I’m into photography, but because of a vow I feel I cannot take photos anymore. The vow was intrusive and happened during one of my prayers. It was something like ‘if i take photos than something bad will happen to me’. Now I know an intrusive vow is part of my OCD and therefore not valid.

But many years ago when my ocd was extremely worse, I made a deal with God that if an intrusive thought of vow popped in my mind I would say ‘I don’t want that’ or else the thought or vow would become valid. So I could just say the thing above and then I’m free of that vow. But I’m scared I might made other deals in the past that would messed up the first deal. I don’t remember all my deals and promises. And some are intrusive and some are made with a clear mind.

Now I still haven’t made the vow invalid and I’m scared to take photos. I’m afraid the vow is valid and something bad will happen to me. I like taking photos and I just started with it. If I quit now I’m too ashamed to tell the real reason to my husband and therefore have to lie to him that I don’t like photography anymore.

What am I supposed to do? I have prayed about it and thought about that God knows I have a mental illness and therefore probably don’t hold me accountable for all those vows made because of my OCD. Still I’m scared to take photos.

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Lately I’m into photography, but because of a vow I feel I cannot take photos anymore. The vow was intrusive and happened during one of my prayers. It was something like ‘if i take photos than something bad will happen to me’. Now I know an intrusive vow is part of my OCD and therefore not valid.

But many years ago when my ocd was extremely worse, I made a deal with God that if an intrusive thought of vow popped in my mind I would say ‘I don’t want that’ or else the thought or vow would become valid. So I could just say the thing above and then I’m free of that vow. But I’m scared I might made other deals in the past that would messed up the first deal. I don’t remember all my deals and promises. And some are intrusive and some are made with a clear mind.

Now I still haven’t made the vow invalid and I’m scared to take photos. I’m afraid the vow is valid and something bad will happen to me. I like taking photos and I just started with it. If I quit now I’m too ashamed to tell the real reason to my husband and therefore have to lie to him that I don’t like photography anymore.

What am I supposed to do? I have prayed about it and thought about that God knows I have a mental illness and therefore probably don’t hold me accountable for all those vows made because of my OCD. Still I’m scared to take photos.
You are right. You have OCD and therefore your responsibility is to NOT do your compulsions. So, in this case, your job is to ignore the intrusive 'vows' you've made, and the "deals" you made in the past to counteract the vows with phrases (saying those phrases is a compulsion), and to do the opposite of what the OCD wants you to do. OCD makes us overthink so much that we can't even remember what we've thought or felt, but the bottom line is that most of it is OCD anyway, so it really doesn't matter whether we remember it or not. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Caroline♡
Upvote 0