A wise King finds happiness in acts of mercy
Aug 13, 2006
Texas
✟17,305.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Eating a religous symbol is disrespectful--and tacky.
catlover , i am not disagreeing with you but please step back and look at the whole picture here, if eating religious symbols is disrespectful , what would you call it in eating candy that promotes , contributes to the sales of commercializing something that is religious and is the foundation of our christian belief , such as the death burial and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ. ?
the offense should be greater in what the world has done to such as easter and other religious holidays.

Upvote 0

munchycrunchy

*nom nom nom* Non-literalist Progressive Christian
Feb 26, 2008
✟16,422.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I see nothing wrong with it personally. I don't find it morbid. I think people are reading too much into it. Stop eating candy canes. That is religious. Stop eating Christmas cookies that are in the shape of an angel because of their shape. Really...it's not like you're actually eating an angel. If it's candy, it's candy. If it's a cookie, it's a cookie. You can't read too much into the shape of it.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with a keychain. Nothing wrong with a cross necklace either. I have one...a lot of people have one. They're beautiful whether they be a symbol of your faith or not. There are a lot of shapes and symbols today that have been used for things that were less than desirable, but that doesn't mean they should be boycotted. I think that's taking it way above the fundamentalist level.

Reactions: Chie
Upvote 0

wannabeadesigirl

Dec 28, 2007
✟17,294.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Green
It has to do with respect. I think you should have a cross in your home as an obvious reminder of who the household belongs to. It would make more sense than the outline of a fish.
From an eastern mindset, whatever you eat comes out in a very unholy place. You don't let a holy symbol be desecrated like that.
Also from an eastern mindset, if you have a religious symbol on your say purse *yours truly* you don't throw it just anywhere. My purse has an image of Krishna on it because my aunt bought it for me for my birthday, and I put it facedown on the shoes one day. My Indian boyfriend gave me a gentle, but firm reminder not to do that.

Upvote 0

united4Peace

Contributor
Jun 28, 2006
Alberta
✟26,223.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Should we ban Hot Cross Buns??

In many historically Christian countries, the buns are traditionally eaten on Good Friday, with the cross standing as a symbol of the crucifixion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_cross_buns

History of the Hot Cross Bun:
Hot cross buns are typically eaten on Good Friday and during Lent
Stories abound about the origins of the Hot Cross Bun. Yet, the common thread throughout is the symbolism of the "cross" of icing which adorns the bun itself.

Some say that the origin of Hot Cross Buns dates back to the 12th century, when an Angelican monk was said to have placed the sign of the cross on the buns, to honor Good Friday, a Christian holiday also known as the Day of the Cross. Supposedly, this pastry was the only thing permitted to enter the mouths of the faithful on this holy day.

Other accounts talk of an English widow, who's son went off to sea. She vowed to bake him a bun every Good Friday. When he didn't return she continued to bake a hot
cross bun for him each year and hung it in the bakery window in good faith that he would some day return to her. The English people kept the tradition for her even after she passed away.
Others say that Hot Cross Buns have pagan roots as part of spring festivals and that the monks simply added the cross to convert people to Christians. Even if this is the case, I think it was rather bright of the monks to be able to so readily tie existing traditions to Christianity!

http://www.dltk-holidays.com/easter/hotcrossbuns.htm

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
We ahve several unchurched children in our neighborhood and every year we buy them a little basket that contains a children's devotion book, some Peeps and a chocolate cross. We also include the passion history. The children love it.

We will continue to do so...the cross isn't a symbol of death to us, it is a symbol of LIFE, as Jesus gave up his own to save ours. The cross didn't defeat Jesus, Jesus defeated DEATH.

Upvote 0
C

catlover

I see nothing wrong with it personally. I don't find it morbid. I think people are reading too much into it. Stop eating candy canes. That is religious. Stop eating Christmas cookies that are in the shape of an angel because of their shape. Really...it's not like you're actually eating an angel. If it's candy, it's candy. If it's a cookie, it's a cookie. You can't read too much into the shape of it.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with a keychain. Nothing wrong with a cross necklace either. I have one...a lot of people have one. They're beautiful whether they be a symbol of your faith or not. There are a lot of shapes and symbols today that have been used for things that were less than desirable, but that doesn't mean they should be boycotted. I think that's taking it way above the fundamentalist level.

Candy canes are not a religious symbol---as for the so called angel is that an accurate depiction?.

Upvote 0
C

catlover

catlover , i am not disagreeing with you but please step back and look at the whole picture here, if eating religious symbols is disrespectful , what would you call it in eating candy that promotes , contributes to the sales of commercializing something that is religious and is the foundation of our christian belief , such as the death burial and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ. ?
the offense should be greater in what the world has done to such as easter and other religious holidays.

I agree consumerism has polluted religious holidays.

Upvote 0
C

catlover

We ahve several unchurched children in our neighborhood and every year we buy them a little basket that contains a children's devotion book, some Peeps and a chocolate cross. We also include the passion history. The children love it.

We will continue to do so...the cross isn't a symbol of death to us, it is a symbol of LIFE, as Jesus gave up his own to save ours. The cross didn't defeat Jesus, Jesus defeated DEATH.

The cross was used for execution--for some reason Christians adopted it. Eating a candy cross is disrespectful--what next candy Bible versus and Candy Bibles?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The cross was used for execution--for some reason Christians adopted it. Eating a candy cross is disrespectful--what next candy Bible versus and Candy Bibles?

I have a tin of mints that are wrapped up in bible verses. Are you going to tell me that that's tacky and disrespectful?

I see nothing wrong with eating a chocolate cross. You have a negative view of the cross, I have a positive view of the cross.

Some consider drinking alcohol to be a sin, some don't. There's no right answer in an argument like this.

Reactions: united4Peace
Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Which is why it's appropriate for Christian Philosophy and Ethics..:)

Well, true. :D

I just wouldn't go as far as to say that people who eat a chocolate cross or candy cross or candy bible are being disrespectful.

I actually got to thinking, I'm pretty sure I've seen the larger type candy hearts with a bible passage written on them. To me, that's not any different.

Now, eating a chocolate Jesus, that could be considered bad taste.

But we don't worship the cross or the bible, we do worship Jesus.

Does that make sense?

Upvote 0

FaithLikeARock

Let the human mind loose.
Nov 19, 2007
California
✟4,662.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I have a tin of mints that are wrapped up in bible verses. Are you going to tell me that that's tacky and disrespectful?

I see nothing wrong with eating a chocolate cross. You have a negative view of the cross, I have a positive view of the cross.

Some consider drinking alcohol to be a sin, some don't. There's no right answer in an argument like this.

Well no that last ones pretty set seeing as how Jesus drank wine during the first communion.

Chocolate crosses are a commercial "how many ways can be market Christianity" plow. It's like the money changers in the Temple using sacrifice and required Jewish tradition as a way to make money. It just seems to defile a symbol of God.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Well no that last ones pretty set seeing as how Jesus drank wine during the first communion.

Chocolate crosses are a commercial "how many ways can be market Christianity" plow. It's like the money changers in the Temple using sacrifice and required Jewish tradition as a way to make money. It just seems to defile a symbol of God.

I make my own chocolate crosses. But I'm probably in the minority there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

munchycrunchy

*nom nom nom* Non-literalist Progressive Christian
Feb 26, 2008
✟16,422.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Candy canes are not a religious symbol---as for the so called angel is that an accurate depiction?.

Candy canes are religious. Some say that the shape is a "J" for Jesus, while others say it was fashioned to be in the shape of a shepherds cane. The red symbolizes the blood that Jesus shed on the cross, while the white is the purity of Jesus. Religious.

Upvote 0

Chie

A wise King finds happiness in acts of mercy
Aug 13, 2006
Texas
✟17,305.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Me and my son sat and shared a can of pringles, each one had a question and answer printed on them . It was very educational, not to mention how much we enjoyed sharing time together, How wonderful it would be for them to make candy verses or print verses on a chip , imagine someone might read them and be blessed.

Upvote 0

united4Peace

Contributor
Jun 28, 2006
Alberta
✟26,223.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Me and my son sat and shared a can of pringles, each one had a question and answer printed on them . It was very educational, not to mention how much we enjoyed sharing time together, How wonderful it would be for them to make candy verses or print verses on a chip , imagine someone might read them and be blessed.
Actually the Christian Store here has suckers at Halloween with versus on...
So yes my children have come home with candy with bible versus on... and no we dont keep sucker sticks around the house forever, regardless of whether it has bible versus or not...:sorry:

Reactions: Chie
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.