Visit site
✟9,563.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Law of Tithing like all the other Laws, was nailed to the Cross and Fulfilled.
All that is really required is to be a generous giver.
If you do attend a church, and you are being spiritually fed by that church, then it is only right that you support that ministry.
If you feel that you can no longer offer financial support for any reason, then leave the church altogether.
The only folks who can "justify" not supporting the ministry that they are attending are those that are new converts who are still learning what it means to be christians, and those who are recieving charity from the church.
That said, like the others have all pointed out, there is a very fishy smell arising from that general direction.
It sounds like the church elders are running a buisness venture and have a willing hireling doing the services.
This is all too often the case with "elder led" churches.
They often own the building outright, and hold the hiring/firing/financial reigns of a rather lucrative tax shelter.

Upvote 0

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
If you do attend a church, and you are being spiritually fed by that church, then it is only right that you support that ministry.
If you feel that you can no longer offer financial support for any reason, then leave the church altogether.

Many people "attend" groups because others insist that they are commanded to do so . To first command people to go these groups and then command them to start paying the bills that *others* set up *before* they started to attend is very shady . In fact , it is a scam .

Person A : Do you go to church ?
Person B : No I do not
A : You must - the bible commands it
B : I don't know where to go
A : You are *welcome* to come to mine
several weeks pass
A : Are you not tithing to support us ?
B : What do you mean ? Was I not invited ? Do guests pay for something that has been offered to them for free ?
A : We have decided to have lots of programs and things that cost money - we have a new building and new sound system . If you don't contribute , leave altogether .
B : ok .
Weeks later :
Person C : Do you go to church ?
Person B : Get lost !

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
Obama: 53% deserve him ;)
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Many people "attend" groups because others insist that they are commanded to do so . To first command people to go these groups and then command them to start paying the bills that *others* set up *before* they started to attend is very shady . In fact , it is a scam .

several weeks pass
B : What do you mean ? Was I not invited ? Do guests pay for something that has been offered to them for free ?
A : We have decided to have lots of programs and things that cost money - we have a new building and new sound system . If you don't contribute , leave altogether .
Weeks later :

Person D: WE FOUND A GREAT CHURCH NEAR MY HOUSE THAT PREACHES SOUND DOCTRINE.

WE ENJOY GIVING OF THE INCOME GOD BLESSES US WITH AND LOVE THE FELLOWSHIP WE HAVE WITH OTHER BELIEVERS!
:angel:

Reactions: Sennaria
Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You see a cleansing in the churches? This is what several of the prophets have been saying was going to happen - Cindy Jacobs was the last one I read that said it.

Well, first of all, I don't at all think that ALL churches are guilty where there will be exposing.
There's some fantastic churches without any problems (we know of lol). ;)

But I'm hearing of many where some 'private' sins have been allowed to go on in either the leadership or congregations, and it seems that there's some sort of "outing" going on, where these sins are being exposed openly to the public.

When that happens, I believe revival is able to occur in the church. Once is cleared out, it can be cleaned up & be effective again.:clap:

Will we see full revival in American churches? I have no idea - but I PRAY so! :bow: :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Tithing is a false doctrine.
http://tithing.christian-things.com/howmuch.html

You can give offerings to your church, but give according to your ability and with a cheerful heart.

I totally agree with you - I don't see the Tithe in the NT anywhere (Unless they're verses I missed). :p
I'll check out your link. thanks.

But we can still freely give 10% - I know alot of people who give 10% becuz it was an original amount (or guideline) given by God in the Old Test. We actually go by that ourselves... but I don't lay that onto others like they have to! :holy:

As I read the story about the woman who gave her few shekels, she actually gave all she had becuz she was so poor even tho it was so much less than the rich people were giving.

I think the NT teaches that it's all a HEART issue - God just wants us to be happy in our giving to Him.
& it's not our place to judge anyone on their amounts (it's none of my business what others give anyways). :kiss:

Upvote 0

Wisdom's Child

Seek Wisdom and Understanding
Dec 30, 2003
Trenton, Florida
Visit site
✟9,563.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

several weeks pass
Weeks later :

Sadly there is far too much of that going on in the world today.
First they teach the false doctrine of "mandatory attendance" and then follow that with the false doctrine of "tithe".
Is not our Lord the Lord of The Sabbath?
We live by Grace, and our Faith (as shown by our works), and not by The Law. Why fullfill the Law of The Sabbath only to replace it by the Law of Attendance?

What the Bible teaches, is the wise council of not forsaking the gathering together with fellow believers for fellowship and worship.
This can occur in any venue, not just a church building on specific days.
Like I said before, if you are being fed spiritually by a ministry, then you "should" support them financially. I did not say that you are required to support them, only that you should....and then only if you are recieving benefit from their guidance, because it is only right that you do so.
This giving should also be done in secret, and as a gift of love.
That makes the difference between a pastorship and a hireling.
Pay your ministers by love gifts, and not out of "budgets".
Pay checks create hirelings.
As for those who are concerned about how ministers will spend "their" offerings, I ask why do you wish to mussle the Ox that plows? If you wish to ensure a certain issue recieves funding then fund it yourself. Be involved.

Reactions: rocklife
Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As you all well know, noone in the church is to receive a salary for church work. If anyone sells products in the name of Christ, you know they are not right before God.

I'd be more than glad to consider your comment, but I'd like your scripture supports rather than just a claim because I've read scriptures from Paul that seem to say otherwise.

I'd also like to mention that it costs MONEY to create all the products, and distribute them... so asking for a gift for the materials isn't "sin" in and of itself. NAMELY WHEN PEOPLE WANT TO FINANCIALLY SUPPORT THAT MINISTRY to keep them going.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Nov 20, 2006
✟108.00
Faith
Christian
Nadiine,

Paul says otherwise. I could show you some verses, but I think it is better to deal with the verses you are misreading first off. Let's get rid of the demon, before we move onto to proofs. Obviously, what I have said is not said in vain, for I can prove it.

On the matter of products, there is nothing wrong with making a product and selling it, and it costs money to make products. But that is not the issue. The issue is nowhere do we see in the apostolic age of the first century the apostles making religious products and then selling them. They do this because they would not be blamed. Therefore, this principle stands, and if a person doesn't like it and prefers to do it their own way for money, just know it is their own way, and not freely given, but a price is involved, and that is wrong.

The lesson is clear: a true Apostle will not charge a thing. An elder won't sell products. An evangelist operates locally and so does a prophet. They don't need to sell products. A teacher teaches locally and does not need to sell products. All these workers don't sell products in the church.

But what about all the great products that are useful? What is the solution to view this problem correctly? It's simple. If someone wants to make a religious product, they do it not as a worker, but they do it on their own.

Therefore, selling products on tv as part of evangelism is wrong, so they should just be honest and realize their product sales is what they are really after rather than the evangelical work or the prophetic work or the work as an apostle or an elder.

Upvote 0
Nov 20, 2006
✟108.00
Faith
Christian
If you can't keep giving freely separate from charging for products, then you are already lost. In the church, everything is freely given. Let those people profit off of Christianity; we do not need to follow them in their footsteps. We received Christ freely, so we who are truly saved, charge for nothing. What is freely received is freely given. If you have already crossed over to filthly lucre, come on back to the faith. God will remember what we did.

Upvote 0

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Sadly there is far too much of that going on in the world today.
First they teach the false doctrine of "mandatory attendance" and then follow that with the false doctrine of "tithe".
Is not our Lord the Lord of The Sabbath?
We live by Grace, and our Faith (as shown by our works), and not by The Law. Why fullfill the Law of The Sabbath only to replace it by the Law of Attendance?

A big "amen" to that . :)

What the Bible teaches, is the wise council of not forsaking the gathering together with fellow believers for fellowship and worship.
This can occur in any venue, not just a church building on specific days.
Like I said before, if you are being fed spiritually by a ministry, then you "should" support them financially. I did not say that you are required to support them, only that you should....and then only if you are recieving benefit from their guidance, because it is only right that you do so.

Should , must , , obligated , required , all mean the same thing in this context .

This giving should also be done in secret, and as a gift of love.
That makes the difference between a pastorship and a hireling.
Pay your ministers by love gifts, and not out of "budgets".
Pay checks create hirelings.
As for those who are concerned about how ministers will spend "their" offerings, I ask why do you wish to mussle the Ox that plows? If you wish to ensure a certain issue recieves funding then fund it yourself. Be involved.

I would agree that , if one is willingly under another human and it is understood that said person has decided to have that function as their livelihood , then it would be appropriate to pay them for their time if possible .

I disagree with the idea that people come into that function as their only employment which places unnecessary baggage on encouraging others which I would like to see to be without cost .

I would also agree that it would be nice if the group allows people to fund only the projects upon which they themselves agreed .

The thing is ... many things are expected of a group calling itself a "church" and quite a bit of money is needed for these things that they consider to be required . But , those expectations and considerations are not founded on truth - only what groups traditionally do . It amazes me more and more what things people *think* are mandatory . This brings about the false doctrines of tithing and the attendance because a constant flow of monies is needed to put in place and maintain those things . They then fight tooth and nail on those doctrines .

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm wondering what this emphasis is on people "forcing" you to go to church?

Since it's initialized BY GOD Himself (and it is), and we're given chapters & chapters on how to corporately run the church in a Godly way (whether it be a small group in a friend's basement or a large church), THEN WHY THE ATTITUDE?

It sounds to me like there's some angry attitude going on as if WE thought church up & it's OUR idea to push you to go there.

WHAT ABOUT, I WANT TO GO and be with others who love the same Lord I do. How horrible is that?? :confused: :eek:

Trust me, IF YOU DONT WANT TO GO, God doesn't want you there anyways.

Stay home by all means.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
we are have elders but our voting membership makes the financial decisions. We pay our preaching elder (full time) and our youth leader (part time). I'd look at the churchs by-laws to see if there is a way to fix the mess at your church.

As to who gets your money? First, it's all Gods..everything I have not just the money. When I get ready to write that check each week I pray about it and give where He leads. Sometimes it's to my local fellowship, sometimes its to other ministries, sometimes directly to a missionary family we support, and sometimes its to some person in need that God brings across my path.

I see nothing in the NT that suggests that we have to give to the church. Remember, when local churches gave to Paul it was either so he could take it to those in need or for when he was unable to support himself due to imprisonment.

Upvote 0

seekthetruth909

Veteran
Dec 14, 2005
✟16,813.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Our church is elder ruled, and the pastors and one elders make all financial decisions. They spend alot of money on paying themselves, but do not work at the church much or attend church activities. They don't allow missionaries to come to our church because "those people expect you to give them money". MY husband and I are deacons, tithe faithfully and lead a Wednesday night life group, where we study Christian books and pray for one another. None of the elders (two of which are the pastor and associate pastor) have ever attended our meetings. We support a wonderful father and son missionary team that visit our group a couple of times a year and inspire us with their testimonies of their mission work in the Amazon and Artic circle. In a congregation of 300 people, (all invited to attend our special nights of visits from these missionaries), no member, pastor, leader or member attend (other than the 8 people in our study group). We make announcements at church on Sunday , but no one shows up--even though they NEVER ask for money.Our church is a very giving church, and the Sunday morning offering is tremendous in size, but since our pastors and elder meet behind closed door about the budget, we never see where or how the money is spent. ( though we know through a family connection that they all make handsome salaries).
My question is this-- is it okay to tithe to the missionaries who live very frugally while ministering to the Arctic circle and Amazon for half our tithe? We feel we are sowing seed into the kingdon when we give to the missionaries, but have no idea where the money goes that we give to our church. (We do know that the elders, music and children;s ministry leaders fly several time a year to lavish conferences and stay at fine hotels, but our pastor has never visited our Wednesday group in the 3 and a half years that we have been meeting.
Quitting this church is not an option- we have too much invested in our Wednesday night group to leave. We are very dissapointed that we get so little interest or committment from the higher ups, and feel like we have no voice. (Everytime we try to express our feelings, they say we have a Jezebel spirit and they get very defensive) They are very elitist and unapproachable, our pastor often cuts off communication with anyone who complains, and avoids phone or physical contact if anyone ask for a conference with him,
We want to sow our tithe into fruiful seed, and know that it is going to further the message of Christ, rather than the travel arrangements of our aloof leadership-
Please advise and bless you ahead of time.
thanks
I think tithing to missionaries is more in the Spirit of the bible than tithing to the church. If you study the New Testament, missionaries are basially what a church is all about.Although if we attend a local church we should contribute to it's expenses too.Half to each sounds good.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,617.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Originally Posted by ElderofEphesus
"As you all well know, noone in the church is to receive a salary for church work. If anyone sells products in the name of Christ, you know they are not right before God."

Paul worked but he also took donations. How are the people in ministry full-time suppose to pay their bills? Granted there are some who go too far the other way but to say that no one is to get a salary ??.

Where is it scripturally that "they are not right before God" for selling products?"

Upvote 0

peacechild4

My ♥ is hidden in GOD~ want to find me ~ find GOD
Mar 4, 2005
Victoria Australia
Visit site
✟38,392.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
The church is world wide.. it is considered the body of Christ.. You just happen to be meeting with a small part of the church.. Unless there are set rules in your church about giving.. re being obedient to your leaders and those above you.. Then I would imagine that giving to the work of the Lord wherever that might be would be putting your tithe into the storehouse of God!! Personally speaking.. I am a church libarian.. and use my tithe and other monies to purchase materials for this ministry as I don't ask for any money from the church as such to run it.. And as our library is being well used and is touching people.. I see that God has blessed it and is happy with this!! To God be the glory!!

I understand about staying in a less then perfect church.. God can make flowers/grass grow even in a desert!! \0/

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.