CAN YOU LOSE YOUR SALVATION AND ETERNAL LIFE?

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟481,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi, I know this is an old comment but I’ve been scouring the site for commentary about Hebrews 6:4-6 & 10:26-27 and have been reading this thread tonight. I’ve just came across these passages the other day and have been struggling with them a lot (and obsessing and freaking out) ever since. The other day I was lying on my couch practically paralyzed in fear that I might be now beyond saving. Here, I wrote a post detailing my story if you’re curious for more context.

I guess what I am wondering is, am I a “child of the devil” even though I don’t want to be? :/ Are my attempts at repentance going unheard/unrecognized, because God has shut himself off from me? I “got saved” (or so I thought) back when I was a child living in a Christian family. I thought it was genuine, and I did believe in God and Christ’s saving grace and all. I probably seemed like a decent enough kid on the outside, though in middle/high school I fell into some habitual sins in my private life.

And then, not really having much in the way of an actual foundational relationship with God, when I went off to college out-of-state I totally went astray and entered 6-7 years of a sinful lifestyle, during which time I didn’t give much thought to God - largely because I felt bad and knew what I was doing was wrong; I felt that I was a “lost cause” because of some specific sins I committed, and was extremely demoralized and thought it was pointless to try and avoid sin. (What a lie straight from the devil!!!)

Anyways, long story short, in 2020 something changed for me in a big way; since July/August I’ve been reading my Bible every day and praying. I’ve been asking God for forgiveness, asking him to change me and rid me of any sins in my life, and to show me his will for me. I’ve asked him to mold me to look more like his Son, I’ve asked him to give me more faith, I’ve asked him to give me strength to endure to the end, I’ve asked him to give me enough strength that I would be willing to die for my belief in him if it ever came to it, etc.

I’ve *never* in my life read the Bible or prayed this consistently before, so I thought that this was a really good sign that I was changing. However I stumbled across these Hebrews passages and now can’t help but wonder if I am beyond saving, and that I’m totally lost forever because I previously slipped into a lifestyle of sin. :( Or do you think that those passages are referring to people who become apathetic and lose the will to repent of their sins - people whose hearts get totally hardened and have no desire to get right with God?

I hope it’s not too late for me… I have been loving reading the Bible and I never thought I would enjoy it like this. So far I’ve read the entire New Testament the whole way through for the first time ever, and I have also read Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, and Job; currently in Genesis. I have also noticed some small but positive changes in my life which I attribute to some involvement by the Holy Spirit, but I hope it’s not just wishful thinking on my part. I guess it’s also quite possible that I’m on the right track, and that Satan is using these verses to try and accuse me/scare me back off-course/make me feel hopeless? Anyways, thanks for reading. Sorry to resurrect such an old thread! God bless.

I am not @LovesGodWord but maybe this will help:

Hebrews 6:4-8 and Hebrews 10:26-39 is about those who are living a life of known unrepentant sin once they have been given a knowledge of the truth of Gods' Word and have chosen to reject Gods Word in order to continue practicing sin.The above scriptures are not to those who have chosen by faith to believe and follow God's Word through repentance of sin, confession of sins and faith (Acts 2:38; 1 John 1:9 and 1 John 5:4).

If we have faith in God's Word and continue in Gods' Word (John 8:31-36; John 17:17) God promises to save us from our sins (don't give up seeking God through prayer and His Word) - This is how we seek and find God when we search for him with all of our heart!

Ask God for His Spirit to guide you and teach you which is God's promise to us in (John 14:26; John 16:13; John 7:17; 1 John 2:17; Hebrews 8:11). Turn away from seeking God's truth from men and seek God's truth through his Word believing and claiming His promises.

God loves us and is not willing that anyone should perish and that all should come to repentance *2 Peter 3:9 an knowledge of the truth of Gods' Word *Acts of the Apostles 17:30-31 and be saved and it is not God's will that we sin (break God's commandments - 1 John 5:4; James 2:10-11 Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7 etc) but if any man does sin we have an advocate with the father Jesus Christ the righteous *1 John 2:1-4

Lastly and most importantly our salvation is only found in God's grace through faith *Ephesians 2:8-9 there is nothing that we can do to save ourselves *Matthew 9:12-13 we are saved solely by God's love for us and His Grace and mercy towards us through faith alone bringing us to our final point below...

Faith in God's Word is where we find God's salvation. He has His salvation now the very moment we believe God's Word and we abide in Christ as we believe and follow what His Word says *Romans 3:31; Romans 8:1-4; John 3:16; 1 John 1:9; 1 John 5:4 etc).
God bless

• Winner
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

Billy93

Feb 24, 2021
Florida
✟22,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am not @LovesGodWord but maybe this will help:

Hebrews 6:4-8 and Hebrews 10:26-39 is about those who are living a life of known unrepentant sin once they have been given a knowledge of the truth of Gods' Word and have chosen to reject Gods Word in order to continue practicing sin.The above scriptures are not to those who have chosen by faith to believe and follow God's Word through repentance of sin, confession of sins and faith (Acts 2:38; 1 John 1:9 and 1 John 5:4).

If we have faith in God's Word and continue in Gods' Word (John 8:31-36; John 17:17) God promises to save us from our sins (don't give up seeking God through prayer and His Word) - This is how we seek and find God when we search for him with all of our heart!

Ask God for His Spirit to guide you and teach you which is God's promise to us in (John 14:26; John 16:13; John 7:17; 1 John 2:17; Hebrews 8:11). Turn away from seeking God's truth from men and seek God's truth through his Word believing and claiming His promises.

God loves us and is not willing that anyone should perish and that all should come to repentance *2 Peter 3:9 an knowledge of the truth of Gods' Word *Acts of the Apostles 17:30-31 and be saved and it is not God's will that we sin (break God's commandments - 1 John 5:4; James 2:10-11 Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7 etc) but if any man does sin we have an advocate with the father Jesus Christ the righteous *1 John 2:1-4

Lastly and most importantly our salvation is only found in God's grace through faith *Ephesians 2:8-9 there is nothing that we can do to save ourselves *Matthew 9:12-13 we are saved solely by God's love for us and His Grace and mercy towards us through faith alone bringing us to our final point below...

Faith in God's Word is where we find God's salvation. He has His salvation now the very moment we believe God's Word and we abide in Christ as we believe and follow what His Word says *Romans 3:31; Romans 8:1-4; John 3:16; 1 John 1:9; 1 John 5:4 etc).
God bless

Thanks for your comment! I agree with and believe everything you said; I guess the crux of what I’m having a hard time with is this:

Hebrews 6:4-8 and Hebrews 10:26-39 is about those who are living a life of known unrepentant sin once they have been given a knowledge of the truth of Gods' Word and have chosen to reject Gods Word in order to continue practicing sin.”

The thing is, I “believed” (or so I thought at least) years ago when I was a kid... and yet I fell into years of willful sin with no repentance. I had “been given a knowledge of the Truth,” but didn’t live it out in my life. So does the fact that I am repenting now mean that I’m not lost and there is still hope for me? Or does the fact that I went so astray to begin with, mean that whatever I *think* is me “repenting” right now is a lie, and that God has actually already shut Himself off from me and has no interest in me anymore? :/

Also, I suppose it’s entirely possible/maybe even likely that I wasn’t saved back when I thought I was, since my life didn’t really reflect Christ much at all - wasn’t really growing fruit of the Spirit or anything. Either that, or I was saved but have been backsliding for a LONG time. All I know is now I want to be serious about God and do things His way, and the thought that maybe He doesn’t want me anymore is terrifying.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The sin of Hebrews 6:4-6, was Jews who had gotten saved... returning to the Temple to offer animal sacrifices for their sins! It was making a mockery of the Blood of Christ! God had only so much patience with this apostate church, and had the Temple and the city destroyed by Rome in 70AD.

The Book of Hebrews was written as a warning because of the many apostate Jewish believers in Jerusalem. It was written only a few years before God was going to judge and destroy Jerusalem.

It was written as a warning to the apostates, and for those remaining faithful to stop trying to get them to repent. Instead, to concentrate on continuing to mature in their own salvation in grace and truth... To mature. And, receive the blessings that accompany salvation.

Its not a passage about losing one's salvation as some like to distort it into meaning. Its about losing out on maturing in sound doctrine and becoming blessed. Failing to be blessed by God by entering into false doctrines and apostasy! Losing what God wants us to be become by grace while here on earth...

They (the losers) will be in Heaven, having only a resurrection body to show for the moment they chose to believe in Jesus. All their eternal rewards will be forfeited while they watch their dead works (wood, hay, and stubble) being burned up in the Lord's evaluation of His saints 1 Corinthians 3:11-15.

Grace and peace

• Informative
Reactions: Billy93
Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Salvation is not probation.
Eternal life is not temporary life.
Jesus is the door. He is not a revolving door.

They who think we can lose our salvation lack the integrity to identify with the Lord's integrity.

Many of those who think that way would welch on a deal if the pressure got high enough.

We are not being 'leased,' nor 'rented' by the Blood of the Lamb!

:holy: - We are not being "delivered" by the USPS.

God tolerates the stupid (sorry to be blunt) and allows them to remain on earth, so fallen angels can see themselves in what they witness to. When fallen angels condemn such Christians, they are admitting they deserve the condemnation God has declared for them. God is getting them to become their own judges. (neat trick!)

grace and peace.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Billy93

Feb 24, 2021
Florida
✟22,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The sin of Hebrews 6:4-6, was Jews who had gotten saved... returning to the Temple to offer animal sacrifices for their sins! It was making a mockery of the Blood of Christ! God had only so much patience with this apostate church, and had the Temple and the city destroyed by Rome in 70AD.

The Book of Hebrews was written as a warning because of the many apostate Jewish believers in Jerusalem. It was written only a few years before God was going to judge and destroy Jerusalem.

It was written as a warning to the apostates, and for those remaining faithful to stop trying to get them to repent. Instead, to concentrate on continuing to mature in their own salvation in grace and truth... To mature. And, receive the blessings that accompany salvation.

Its not a passage about losing one's salvation as some like to distort it into meaning. Its about losing out on maturing in sound doctrine and becoming blessed. Failing to be blessed by God by entering into false doctrines and apostasy! Losing what God wants us to be become by grace while here on earth...

They (the losers) will be in Heaven, having only a resurrection body to show for the moment they chose to believe in Jesus. All their eternal rewards will be forfeited while they watch their dead works (wood, hay, and stubble) being burned up in the Lord's evaluation of His saints 1 Corinthians 3:11-15.

Grace and peace

Great explanation; thank you. I’ve seen some pastors say that these are “the Devil’s favorite verses” and I can see why; they sure get anxious/OCD people like myself all worked-up!

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
CAN YOU LOSE SALVATION AND ETERNAL LIFE?

No....and yes. Kind of.

Jesus did die for sinners. It's already done.
Was His sacrifice complete for everyone? Yes.
Now...
Do people accept that Jesus is qualified to offer full forgiveness?

The problem of being saved or not, is that people swing back and forth on "Can God forgive me?"

People have the faith that God has forgiven them, but do they hold that until the end? It seems many do not hold the faith. Even though Jesus can't do more for them than He already has, some don't accept it.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No....and yes. Kind of.

Jesus did die for sinners. It's already done.
Was His sacrifice complete for everyone? Yes.
Now...
Do people accept that Jesus is qualified to offer full forgiveness?

The problem of being saved or not, is that people swing back and forth on "Can God forgive me?"

People have the faith that God has forgiven them, but do they hold that until the end? It seems many do not hold the faith. Even though Jesus can't do more for them than He already has, some don't accept it.

There is a big difference between being saved. What to do when we sin. And, not being saved.

My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if
anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus Christ,
the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only
for ours but also for the sins of the whole world."
1 Jn 2:1-2​

Don't be confused. God knows believers can and will sin. We are not yet in our resurrection bodies. He provided a simple way to return walking in the Spirit after we sin by simply naming to God that you know you sinned... Name the sin, and move on.

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our
sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." 1 Jn 1:9
The devil wants us dumb. God wants us wise. We choose.

This is basic training for the believer. But for too many its not been taught properly.

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a big difference between being saved. What to do when we sin. And, not being saved.

We were already saved. (Jesus)
Only by denying our forgiveness, leads to death.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We were already saved. (Jesus)
Only by denying our forgiveness, leads to death.

We were already saved? Who are you talking about? Everyone? Those who believe? In what way are they saved?

Please... Make sense. Stop speaking with your own private interpretation. Say what you are not saying, so we can know what you want to say, please?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We were already saved? Who are you talking about? Everyone? Those who believe? In what way are they saved?

Please... Make sense. Stop speaking with your own private interpretation. Say what you are not saying, so we can know what you want to say, please?

We were already saved. ( by Jesus death)
Only by denying our forgiveness from Jesus does anyone not make it to heaven.
Jesus did save every person from the results of their sins. The second death.
John 3:16
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

Many refuse to accept God's grace, which immediately puts them in Hell.

Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

But hell gets much worse after the first death. No beer at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Jesus died for all sinners. All is quite inclusive.
Jesus didn't die for perfect people like a Pope.
He died for sinners.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
JAMES 1:12 [12], Blessed is the man that endures temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord has promised to them that love him.

But it can't be of your own effort, so no.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We were already saved. ( by Jesus death).

We were already 'about; to be saved. God was done drawing us. Next step was to present Christ, so we could discover the one we accepted the drawing from.

God is free to draw everyman on the basis of the atonement.

"He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours
but also for the sins of the whole world."
1 John 2:2​

There is no man that God is forbidden to draw, because the atonement of the Cross paid for the sins of all.

Therefore.. God draws all....

When being drawn men will be free to reject God's drawing of them. Many choose to reject God at varying points.

In Romans 1:18-23 - some reject the drawing of God at its most basic level. Romans 1 shows that these ones who were being drawn, later, as a result of rejecting God's drawing, were turned over to militant homosexuality. That took place after being shown clearly by God that there is a God! They knew God was real because God made it clear to them.

Interesting note on Romans One. The Greek says that these men after being shown there is God. They in turn deny and suppress what they were shown, and snootily and snobbishly reject God. God in turn? Returns their snobbishness by dismissively handing them over to their total humiliation of depravity. God's justice was at work.

grace and peace....

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi, I know this is an old comment but I’ve been scouring the site for commentary about Hebrews 6:4-6 & 10:26-27 and have been reading this thread tonight. I’ve just came across these passages the other day and have been struggling with them a lot (and obsessing and freaking out) ever since. The other day I was lying on my couch practically paralyzed in fear that I might be now beyond saving. Here, I wrote a post detailing my story if you’re curious for more context.

I guess what I am wondering is, am I a “child of the devil” even though I don’t want to be? :/ Are my attempts at repentance going unheard/unrecognized, because God has shut himself off from me? I “got saved” (or so I thought) back when I was a child living in a Christian family. I thought it was genuine, and I did believe in God and Christ’s saving grace and all. I probably seemed like a decent enough kid on the outside, though in middle/high school I fell into some habitual sins in my private life.

And then, not really having much in the way of an actual foundational relationship with God, when I went off to college out-of-state I totally went astray and entered 6-7 years of a sinful lifestyle, during which time I didn’t give much thought to God - largely because I felt bad and knew what I was doing was wrong; I felt that I was a “lost cause” because of some specific sins I committed, and was extremely demoralized and thought it was pointless to try and avoid sin. (What a lie straight from the devil!!!)

Anyways, long story short, in 2020 something changed for me in a big way; since July/August I’ve been reading my Bible every day and praying. I’ve been asking God for forgiveness, asking him to change me and rid me of any sins in my life, and to show me his will for me. I’ve asked him to mold me to look more like his Son, I’ve asked him to give me more faith, I’ve asked him to give me strength to endure to the end, I’ve asked him to give me enough strength that I would be willing to die for my belief in him if it ever came to it, etc.

I’ve *never* in my life read the Bible or prayed this consistently before, so I thought that this was a really good sign that I was changing. However I stumbled across these Hebrews passages and now can’t help but wonder if I am beyond saving, and that I’m totally lost forever because I previously slipped into a lifestyle of sin. :( Or do you think that those passages are referring to people who become apathetic and lose the will to repent of their sins - people whose hearts get totally hardened and have no desire to get right with God?

I hope it’s not too late for me… I have been loving reading the Bible and I never thought I would enjoy it like this. So far I’ve read the entire New Testament the whole way through for the first time ever, and I have also read Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, and Job; currently in Genesis. I have also noticed some small but positive changes in my life which I attribute to some involvement by the Holy Spirit, but I hope it’s not just wishful thinking on my part. I guess it’s also quite possible that I’m on the right track, and that Satan is using these verses to try and accuse me/scare me back off-course/make me feel hopeless? Anyways, thanks for reading. Sorry to resurrect such an old thread! God bless.

Sorry for the slow reply, Billy. The short answer is no, you have not lost your salvation. Just the fact that your faith in these scriptures in regards to Hebrews 6:4-8 and Hebrews 10:26-39 have led you back to seek God shows that God is talking to you. The fear of the Lord is indeed the beginning of wisdom. There is more rejoicing in Heaven this day because you have returned to God through His Word. The application of these scriptures are present tense indicative meaning that they are only applicable to those who remain in a state of known unrepentant sin not to those who have repented and confessed their sins and have returned to God who can claim God's promises *1 John 2:1; 1 John 1:9. As to Hebrews 6:4-8 and Hebrews 10:26-39? Yes they are talking about believers who have departed the faith to live in a life of known unrepentant sin and chosen to remain there. Detailed scripture reply here linked earlier in the thread.

God bless

Upvote 0

Billy93

Feb 24, 2021
Florida
✟22,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sorry for the slow reply, Billy. The short answer is no, you have not lost your salvation. Just the fact that your faith in these scriptures in regards to Hebrews 6:4-8 and Hebrews 10:26-39 have led you back to seek God shows that God is talking to you. The fear of the Lord is indeed the beginning of wisdom. There is more rejoicing in Heaven this day because you have returned to God through His Word. The application of these scriptures are present tense indicative meaning that they are only applicable to those who remain in a state of known unrepentant sin not to those who have repented and confessed their sins and have returned to God who can claim God's promises *1 John 2:1; 1 John 1:9. As to Hebrews 6:4-8 and Hebrews 10:26-39? Yes they are talking about believers who have departed the faith to live in a life of known unrepentant sin and chosen to remain there. Detailed scripture reply here linked earlier in the thread.

God bless

No problem; thanks very much for your response. Well, I definitely do fear the Lord these days, so hopefully wisdom will increase in the days and years to come. :p

Your explanation is very helpful; I do *not* intend to “remain there” in known unrepentant sin, and I’ve been turning away from multiple ones (thanks to God’s help I would assume) in recent months, which - combined with my newfound daily Bible-reading and praying - would lead me to believe that the Holy Spirit is doing some work on me, in my heart. At least I sure hope that’s the case.

The good news is I’ve stopped obsessing quite as much over the Hebrews passages over the past week, so I’m more inclined to think I *can* be saved. ...The bad news is that now I’ve turned to obsessing over whether or not I’m actually saved/whether I “am doing it right.” I just absolutely don’t want to be one of the people told “Depart from me” at the end. :/ Anyways, thanks again for the explanation. The present-tense point you made is a good one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No problem; thanks very much for your response. Well, I definitely do fear the Lord these days, so hopefully wisdom will increase in the days and years to come. :p

Your explanation is very helpful; I do *not* intend to “remain there” in known unrepentant sin, and I’ve been turning away from multiple ones (thanks to God’s help I would assume) in recent months, which - combined with my newfound daily Bible-reading and praying - would lead me to believe that the Holy Spirit is doing some work on me, in my heart. At least I sure hope that’s the case.

The good news is I’ve stopped obsessing quite as much over the Hebrews passages over the past week, so I’m more inclined to think I *can* be saved. ...The bad news is that now I’ve turned to obsessing over whether or not I’m actually saved/whether I “am doing it right.” I just absolutely don’t want to be one of the people told “Depart from me” at the end. :/ Anyways, thanks again for the explanation. The present-tense point you made is a good one.

Your strength is in John 8:31-36; John 17:17; John 14:26. God's Word is God's power to save us from our sins as we by faith alone believe what God says. It is the same Word that created all things in Heaven and in earth.

God bless dear friend.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Jesus died on the cross for all our sins. He's not going to do it again.
Meaning: It is already done.

So you can BLOCK and reject forgiveness if you choose to.
But it doesn't change. It's still there.
You are always saved if you have the faith that Jesus did enough.
But He's not going to do more because you were extra bad yesterday.
It's all done.

• Useful
Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟377,466.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesus died on the cross for all our sins. He's not going to do it again.
Meaning: It is already done.

So you can BLOCK and reject forgiveness if you choose to.
But it doesn't change. It's still there.
You are always saved if you have the faith that Jesus did enough.
But He's not going to do more because you were extra bad yesterday.
It's all done.
Paul knew different

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
CAN YOU LOSE SALVATION AND ETERNAL LIFE?

What are your thoughts?

According to the scriptures, God's salvation is condtional on...

1. FAITH (believing and following God's Word) *JOHN 3:14-21 in God's word and promises *2 PETER 1:4, JOHN 3:16; JOHN 10:26-27

2. REPENTANCE FROM SIN *MATTHEW 3:2; MATTHEW 4:17; LUKE 13:3-5; ACTS 2:38; ACTS 3:19; ACTS 8:32; PROVERBS 28:9-13

3.CONFESSION OF SIN
*1 JOHN 1:9; PROVERBS 28:13; JAMES 2:10-11; 1 JOHN 3:4 and

4. ACCEPTANCE OF JESUS AS OUR PERSONAL LORD AND SAVIOUR FROM SIN *JOHN 8:31-36; John 10:26-27; JOHN 10:38; JAMES 2:18-20; 16; ROMANS 6:1-23; MATTHEW 7:21-27; John 4:42

Those who follow God do not practice sin and those who continue in SIN do not know God *1 JOHN 3:9; 1 JOHN 2:1-4 and need to be BORN AGAIN with a new heart to love. If the HOLY SPIRIT cannot come and go if we depart the faith, why are we warned to not GRIEVE the HOLY SPIRIT *EPHESIANS 4:30; PSALMS 51:10-13?

We GRIEVE God's SPIRIT by SIN *GENESIS 6:5-6; PSALMS 119:158 and not BELIEVING and FOLLOWING God's WORD *PSALMS 95:10-11; HEBREWS 3:10-11; HEBREWS 3:17-19. It is ONLY those who BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's WORD to the END that will be saved *JOHN 8:31-36; MATTHEW 24:13; MARK 13:13; HEBREWS 3:13-14; HEBREWS 3:6; COLOSSIANS 1:12-14; 23; HEBREWS 10:26-27; HEBREWS 6:4-8; MATTHEW 13:18-23.

According to the scriptures if we are not CONTINUING to BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's WORD to the END we can GREIVE God's Spirit and depart from the faith *2 THESSALONIANS 2:1-3; 1 TIMOTHY 4:1.

ARE WE IN A SAVED STATE WHILE CONTINUING IN KNOWN UNREPENTANT SIN?

For me the scriptures teach we can have the hope of eternal life today through faith but it is only those who endure temtation to the end and continue in the faith that reveive eternal life.

TITUS 1:2 In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;

TITUS 3:7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

COLOSSIANS 1:22-23 [22], In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and blameless and unreproveable in his sight: [23], If you continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel..

TITUS 3:7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

However, it is only those who ENDURE temptation to the END BELIEVING and FOLLOWING God's Word that receive eternal life.....

MATTHEW 24:13 [12], And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. [13], But he that shall endure to the end, the same shall be saved.

MARK 13:13 [13], And you shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that shall endure to the end, the same shall be saved.

HEBREWS 3:13-14 [13], But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. [14], For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end

HEBREWS 3:6 [6], But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm to the end.

JAMES 1:12 [12], Blessed is the man that endures temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord has promised to them that love him.

What are your thoughts?

May God bless you as you seek him and continue in His Word.
You can't "lose" it. However, you can give it away by falling into false teachings, thus believing in a false version of Jesus and you can lose it by simply ceasing to belive Jesus was God.

"Since we believe human testimony, surely we can believe the greater testimony that comes from God. And God has testified about his Son.
All who believe in the Son of God know in their hearts that this testimony is true. Those who don’t believe this are actually calling God a liar because they don’t believe what God has testified about his Son.
And this is what God has testified: He has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.
Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have God’s Son does not have life.
I have written this to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know you have eternal life."

See that? If you no longer believe in the name of the Son of God, and all that comes with that, you no longer have eternal life.

Upvote 0