enroute
✟1,402,279.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The last generation that was brought up in racial apartheid was us Boomers. We aren't dead yet. We're still largely in control of government, industry, and media.

But there will be a significant change that occurs when we do die off.
Boomer here! ^_^ . I plan to be around for a while longer ^_^. I can dream can't I ^_^? But the racist attitudes and behaviors are passed from generation to generation.
Hosea 8:7a
For they sow the wind and they shall reap the whirlwind.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,436.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Boomer here! ^_^ . I plan to be around for a while longer ^_^. I can dream can't I ^_^? But the racist attitudes and behaviors are passed from generation to generation.

Some will be, but no generation after ours got the intense, pervasive, all-encompassing inculcation of racism that we got.

At least any kid today will see black people on television as a normal part of society.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The only hope is to first recognize and then own it.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,530.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
In the first century, and every century since then thru today, there have been groups, places, where there was no racism. Be becoming like that.
May be so, but it still is a sin problem just like all other ills that plague mankind.

Upvote 0

rdclmn72

May 19, 2007
dunlap, tn
✟36,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Remember what happened to Miriam, who criticized Moses's wife for being dark-skinned.
God's reaction was to strike her with leprosy.
God is holy and he has a dim view on racism.
Revelation mentions haters of men.
We need not follow the beliefs of the past that can keep us from making it into heaven.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟884,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was looking at the news and they had a item on how even for popular figures in our culture they still are faced with racism at many levels...

"Racist 'Star Wars' fans aren't new. Why doesn't Disney do more to protect its actors?"

Racist 'Star Wars' fans aren't new. Why doesn't Disney do more to protect its actors?

Star Wars pushes back against racist backlash to new Black character

I come from a diverse background and grew up in South Florida with friends from all ethnicities and so didnt consider it issue to come into contact with underlying racism. But one incident was a eye opener that I never forgot. We had gone up North for a convention and needed shoes to be resoled, so we went to a shoe repair shop and asked if we could get them done. Well the answer was they were too busy, so we asked if we could bring it the next day and the answer was no, so we asked if at the end of the week and still it was no, so we asked when we could bring it and the answer was still they were too busy this or the next week or basically ever. I didnt think anything of it as we turned to leave, but my mother whose accent was definitely picked up, turned back and uncharacteristically called the owner out. That is when I saw the true cost and affects of racism..

I dont have an accent or look Hispanic so I had never really experienced it, but now my eyes were opened. Some say you just let it go no matter what, while others say that words cant hurt, but even they have a breaking point or line that can be crossed as there is usually action associated with the words. So is racism something that can be stopped or overcome, or will it be with us to the end?
Anytime you dealing with millions of people on a social media site there’s always going to be a large number of idiots in the mix. That’s just part of the diversity of any group of that size. I guarantee you the ratio of racist comments to non racist comments is extremely low.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟96,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Does not look like you did , since that is the line of thinking you had when i ask that question. Because my question was directed to sinful acts which is what racism falls under. And since these acts have not been been remedied neither will racism in the age of satan and man.
I would have to say I'm not racist. I was raised where there were very few blacks too. In the mountains of Northwestern Montana, northern Idaho, and Oregon. I've just never cared what color a person's skin was. A good person is a good person. A good looking woman is a good looking woman. A smart person is a smart person. As far as I'm concerned color makes no difference,

I know very well what it's like to be discriminated against as I grew up in a very dysfunctional family in which everyone else took out their pain and anger on me so that may be why, or God just made sure I was born without a racist bone in my body. Part of it may also be that I'm a Christian and I believe we all have the same beginnings and belong to a denomination that has had a focus on worldwide missions since it's inception .

We all descended from Adam and Eve and I grew up singing songs in Sabbath school like:

Jesus loves the little children
all the children of the world
red and yellow black and white
they are precious in His sight
Jesus loves the children of the world.
I'm a SDA if you couldn't tell already.
I'm 70, btw., so I'm a boomer.

• Winner
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was looking at the news and they had a item on how even for popular figures in our culture they still are faced with racism at many levels...

"Racist 'Star Wars' fans aren't new. Why doesn't Disney do more to protect its actors?"

Racist 'Star Wars' fans aren't new. Why doesn't Disney do more to protect its actors?

Star Wars pushes back against racist backlash to new Black character

I come from a diverse background and grew up in South Florida with friends from all ethnicities and so didnt consider it issue to come into contact with underlying racism. But one incident was a eye opener that I never forgot. We had gone up North for a convention and needed shoes to be resoled, so we went to a shoe repair shop and asked if we could get them done. Well the answer was they were too busy, so we asked if we could bring it the next day and the answer was no, so we asked if at the end of the week and still it was no, so we asked when we could bring it and the answer was still they were too busy this or the next week or basically ever. I didnt think anything of it as we turned to leave, but my mother whose accent was definitely picked up, turned back and uncharacteristically called the owner out. That is when I saw the true cost and affects of racism..

I dont have a accent or look Hispanic so I had never really experienced it, but now my eyes were opened. Some say you just let it go no matter what, while others say that words cant hurt, but even they have a breaking point or line that can be crossed as there is usually action associated with the words. So is racism something that can be stopped or overcome, or will it be with us to the end?

Your post made this song pop into my head. Never been to Spain.

I think racism is real but it is a lie. I remember in the late 60's growing up in Columbus Ohio. There was all that MLK stuff going on and there was trouble in the schools. Violence, razor blades crowds of people in the streets, mostly blacks vs the whites and always on the news being advertised. So there was house talk about it and I asked my dad if Blacks were bad people. He explained that Blacks are like any other people, some are bad and some are good. It depends on the man. Carry your 45 son and look at the man. WHat is he trying to do? Shake your hand and be friends or is he coming at you with a knife? Then you knoiw what to do. I think that was pretty sound advice. I've since realized that there are two genders (LoL!) and One Race. The Human Race. So we have different cultures depending on where you grew up and where your folks are from. Big deal. When I lived in Colorado there is a huge Mexican population there and I had to work around a lot of them. But they're just like other people too. Some are fantastic workers and take pride in their work. Others will knife you in the back for your $40. Just people. Some of my best friends were black.. From what I can tell in my 61 years its hard not to somewhat catagorize people that you've met. I respect that the Black men have always been good warriors throughout history, Spanish girls have a lot of charisma, so do Finnish girls and the Poles have top notch hospitality. You can't trust some of them either, lol. So am I racist now? Lol! Some are honorable and many are not, within every ehnicity. Watch their hands and their behavior and movement.

"Your enemy is never a villain in his own eyes. Keep this in mind; it may offer a way to make him your friend. If not, you can kill him without hate, and quickly..." (Lazarus Long)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟884,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would have to say I'm not racist. I was raised where there were very few blacks too. In the mountains of Northwestern Montana, northern Idaho, and Oregon. I've just never cared what color a person's skin was. A good person is a good person. A good looking woman is a good looking woman. A smart person is a smart person. As far as I'm concerned color makes no difference,

I know very well what it's like to be discriminated against as I grew up in a very dysfunctional family in which everyone else took out their pain and anger on me so that may be why, or God just made sure I was born without a racist bone in my body. Part of it may also be that I'm a Christian and I believe we all have the same beginnings and belong to a denomination that has had a focus on worldwide missions since it's inception .

We all descended from Adam and Eve and I grew up singing songs in Sabbath school like:

Jesus loves the little children
all the children of the world
red and yellow black and white
they are precious in His sight
Jesus loves the children of the world.
I'm a SDA if you couldn't tell already.
I'm 70, btw., so I'm a boomer.
I’m just curious, I’m confident that you probably personally know hundreds of people if not thousands. How many people do you think you know and how many of them would you say are racists? I’ve lived my entire life in Texas and I’d say I have around 300 friends and I can probably count on two hands how many of them I would consider to be racist. I’m 50 years old and in my experience racism is almost completely dead. I don’t think it will ever completely be done away with simply because there’s always going to be a lot of stupid and hateful people out there. That’s just never going to change but the percentage is so low that it’s insignificant.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,436.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’m just curious, I’m confident that you probably personally know hundreds of people if not thousands. How many people do you think you know and how many of them would you say are racists? I’ve lived my entire life in Texas and I’d say I have around 300 friends and I can probably count on two hands how many of them I would consider to be racist. I’m 50 years old and in my experience racism is almost completely dead. I don’t think it will ever completely be done away with simply because there’s always going to be a lot of stupid and hateful people out there. That’s just never going to change but the percentage is so low that it’s insignificant.
Racism in Texas is a different thing from racism in, say, Nebraska or Illinois. It's different from racism in the SE and even different from racism in Oklahoma.

Texans seem to be comfortable enough around black people that even if they are racist, it's not as easily noticeable because they're still comfortable in presence. It may not matter in day-to-day contacts. It might be arguable that if it doesn't matter, then, it doesn't matter.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟96,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Your post made this song pop into my head. Never been to Spain.

I think racism is real but it is a lie. I remember in the late 60's growing up in Columbus Ohio. There was all that MLK stuff going on and there was trouble in the schools. Violence, razor blades crowds of people in the streets, mostly blacks vs the whites and always on the news being advertised. So there was house talk about it and I asked my dad if Blacks were bad people. He explained that Blacks are like any other people, some are bad and some are good. It depends on the man. Carry your 45 son and look at the man. WHat is he trying to do? Shake your hand and be friends or is he coming at you with a knife? Then you knoiw what to do. I think that was pretty sound advice. I've since realized that there are two genders (LoL!) and One Race. The Human Race. So we have different cultures depending on where you grew up and where your folks are from. Big deal. When I lived in Colorado there is a huge Mexican population there and I had to work around a lot of them. But they're just like other people too. Some are fantastic workers and take pride in their work. Others will knife you in the back for your $40. Just people. Some of my best friends were black.. From what I can tell in my 61 years its hard not to somewhat catagorize people that you've met. I respect that the Black men have always been good warriors throughout history, Spanish girls have a lot of charisma, so do Finnish girls and the Poles have top notch hospitality. You can't trust some of them either, lol. So am I racist now? Lol! Some are honorable and many are not, within every ehnicity. Watch their hands and their behavior and movement.

"Your enemy is never a villain in his own eyes. Keep this in mind; it may offer a way to make him your friend. If not, you can kill him without hate, and quickly..." (Lazarus Long)
During my high school years I worked for a guy that hired a lot of illegal aliens which, back then. was a synonym for Mexican. They were all just people. I remember working one day in a new orchard with a Mexican guy and my brother stopped by to talk to me. The Mexican guy lets out a yelp, immigracion, and just disappeared. I had turned my head to look at my brother and when I looked back and he had just disappeared. My brother had been in the army and was wearing his old army green Jacket. We had a good laugh about it and after he left the Mexican guy came back and wanted to know who that was. I told him it was my brother and you could see him visibly relax.

• Haha
Reactions: Divide
Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
During my high school years I worked for a guy that hired a lot of illegal aliens which, back then. was a synonym for Mexican. They were all just people. I remember working one day in a new orchard with a Mexican guy and my brother stopped by to talk to me. The Mexican guy lets out a yelp, immigracion, and just disappeared. I had turned my head to look at my brother and when I looked back and he had just disappeared. My brother had been in the army and was wearing his old army green Jacket. We had a good laugh about it and after he left the Mexican guy came back and wanted to know who that was. I told him it was my brother and you could see him visibly relax.

That's funny. I was a Mechanical Contractor in Colorado and one time I had just got a new white service van and when I pulled onto my jobsite I could see the Mexicans working up by the house and as I was walking up I heard ne of them whisper Inspector...So I had some fun with them and seen what they were doing (masonry) and I walked right towards them yelling What are you doing? No right angles! No right angles! You tear all this our and do it over!!! And I never heard such silence in my life. Those poor guys looked like they would sink into the ground. I let them in on the joke about 5 minutes later. I dont think they understood english but they knew what an inspector was and knew what yelling is, lol!

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟96,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I've known very few real racists during my life. Three that I can think of. One guy told nothing but racist jokes. Another one was a supervisor of mine who grew up in the deep south. This was during the time we were involved in Somalia and his solution was to carpet bomb the entire country,

The third guy was someone I didn't know. He was a young black guy standing in line at a community college where I was waiting in line to buy textbooks. He was literally screaming at this white woman that he was going to sue her for being racist. Everyone there was just staring at him with shocked expressions on their faces. The woman he was screaming at just went about her business and ignored him

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums