Dec 29, 2006
✟426,474.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was looking at the news and they had a item on how even for popular figures in our culture they still are faced with racism at many levels...

"Racist 'Star Wars' fans aren't new. Why doesn't Disney do more to protect its actors?"

Racist 'Star Wars' fans aren't new. Why doesn't Disney do more to protect its actors?

Star Wars pushes back against racist backlash to new Black character

I come from a diverse background and grew up in South Florida with friends from all ethnicities and so didnt consider it issue to come into contact with underlying racism. But one incident was a eye opener that I never forgot. We had gone up North for a convention and needed shoes to be resoled, so we went to a shoe repair shop and asked if we could get them done. Well the answer was they were too busy, so we asked if we could bring it the next day and the answer was no, so we asked if at the end of the week and still it was no, so we asked when we could bring it and the answer was still they were too busy this or the next week or basically ever. I didnt think anything of it as we turned to leave, but my mother whose accent was definitely picked up, turned back and uncharacteristically called the owner out. That is when I saw the true cost and affects of racism..

I dont have a accent or look Hispanic so I had never really experienced it, but now my eyes were opened. Some say you just let it go no matter what, while others say that words cant hurt, but even they have a breaking point or line that can be crossed as there is usually action associated with the words. So is racism something that can be stopped or overcome, or will it be with us to the end?

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,403,911.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
As long as people blame the 'other' ethnic groups for the troubles we have in society, we will never see the end to racism. It is funny how people do not see the sin nature in mankind.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The people who were taught to be racist died off.

The Boomer generation was the last generation that, as a whole generation, was explicitly taught to be racist.

No, we have not died off yet. We still largely control society.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Boomer generation was the last generation that, as a whole generation, was explicitly taught to be racist.

No, we have not died off yet. We still largely control society.
Yes, I am 67 and brought up racist. As hard as I try to be aware of it and not let it affect my views and behavior it is still an active part of me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I am 67 and brought up racist. As hard as I try to be aware of it and not let it affect my views and behavior it is still an active part of me.

Even as a black man, I have to admit that it affects me in my core.

A couple of years ago, my wife and I were driving through an area of the city known to be "old money." Large mansions, large yards, a Rolls Royce appearing at a gat.

We saw a young black man jogging. My wife grunted. I'd noticed him too.

That's the thing about being in our generation: We noticed him. The thought that had specifically come into our minds was that the young black man was "out of place" in that neighborhood. I'm sure the majority of white people our age would have the same instantaneous thought, because it had been drilled into us by society in our childhoods that "the races have their places."

Now, our second reaction to the initial thought of "he's out of place" was "Way to go, brother!" Others our age may have a different second reaction.

It takes a deliberate effort to push back the lessons of childhood ("Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old, he will not depart from it"), and most people don't make such an effort.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As the very old black man said a few years ago "racist was the last word used. Today its the first". That word is being tossed out so much today. You just look the other way "racist". YES I agree that word does not mean what it use to.

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟426,474.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How does it affect you, do you see others as a 'lower class' or 'having less education or money' or a danger at first glance?

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How does it affect you, do you see others as a 'lower class' or 'having less education or money' or a danger at first glance?
For me it is a sense of danger, fear more than anything else. Probably because I was attacked as a child.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-

So you are living where those acts do not happen, sure would like to know where this is.

The question was: "Can you get over stealing, murder, corruption, adultery, etc....?"

Yes, I have gotten over the stealing, murder, corruption, adultery, et cetera, that white perpetrated upon the black people they brought from Africa for 350 years. I'm over that.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The question was: "Can you get over stealing, murder, corruption, adultery, etc....?"

Yes, I have gotten over the stealing, murder, corruption, adultery, et cetera, that white perpetrated upon the black people they brought from Africa for 350 years. I'm over that.

Does not look like you did , since that is the line of thinking you had when i ask that question. Because my question was directed to sinful acts which is what racism falls under. And since these acts have not been been remedied neither will racism in the age of satan and man.

Last edited:
Upvote 0