Mar 26, 2005
Connecticut
Visit site
✟19,679.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
What is the verdict on this? I grew up believing that the enemy cannot read your thoughts. But sometimes when I'm having a silent heart to heart with God, I get replies that make sense (I know its from God), and other times, replies that does not seem like they are from God. I find myself questioning if I am hearing from God or not. This is why other than praying out loud, I spent some of time talking to God in silence. I'm hoping that I do not have some mental issues affecting what I'm hearing. I've been praying for discernment and waiting on God to give it to me. What are your conclusions on this?

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The devil cannot read your mind. His minions can influence your thoughts in some cases. Usually Christians are far to quick to attribute any and all evil to satan when normally it is human nature causing grief and strife.

Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
What is the verdict on this? I grew up believing that the enemy cannot read your thoughts. But sometimes when I'm having a silent heart to heart with God, I get replies that make sense (I know its from God), and other times, replies that does not seem like they are from God. I find myself questioning if I am hearing from God or not. This is why other than praying out loud, I spent some of time talking to God in silence. I'm hoping that I do not have some mental issues affecting what I'm hearing. I've been praying for discernment and waiting on God to give it to me. What are your conclusions on this?

No, the enemy has no ability to read our minds. He is however, able to read our actions and our words. This would be a great time to pray in tongues where you don't know how to pray but the Holy Spirit does and He will intercede for you and our enemy is not able to understand. It's not uncommon for the enemy to interject his thoughts into ours in accordance with what we say and/or do. The way that is intercepted is by breaking into praise and thanking God. I remember one time when the enemy was particularly weighing me down with some things that had happened in the past. Suddenly, I realized what was happening and I began to praise God and thank Him for His deliverance from the things that had happened. In my mind I envisioned the enemy screaming and fleeing from me in terror. LOL It works. As time goes on and you break out in praise I think the enemy will be confused and not even be able to tell by your actions to even guess at what is going on in your head.

Reactions: Truthfrees
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The devil cannot read your mind. His minions can influence your thoughts in some cases. Usually Christians are far to quick to attribute any and all evil to satan when normally it is human nature causing grief and strife.

Could not have said it better.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.” II Cor 11:3
Are you saying this scripture says that the enemy can read our minds?

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Don't think he can read our minds but can influence our thinking - that's the reason we're to take every thought captive (II Cor 10:5). Thanks SpiritPsalmist for asking me for clarification,
You're welcome :) just wanted to make sure. I agree with you.

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I don't think the idea is scriptural that most people have - that the devil can't read our minds. He is a spirit-being. He does not need ears to physically hear. And I have silently told demons to shut up, and they have obeyed.

Reactions: Ajax 777
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think an evil spiritual being might be able to read what I am thinking. But I mean what is going on in "the spirit of your mind" (Ephesians 4:23) > not only in my physical brain, but in my spiritual mind. But this does not mean that a Satanic being would be able to understand what I am thinking. Because Satan and his beings are all messed up, in how they see and understand things.

But if an evil spiritual being is causing me to have wrong thinking, this is a problem, and "of course" that being does not "need" to read what I'm thinking, if that evil spirit is causing it.

Our Apostle Paul does say there is "the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience," in Ephesians 2:2. So, I understand that a Satanic being is able to work in people to have them thinking what is stinking and disobedient. But if and while we are obedient to God > "the peace of God which surpasses all understanding will guard you hearts and minds through Christ Jesus" > this is in Philippians 4:6-7.

And then, while God's peace is guarding our spiritual minds, we can think what God pleases . . . inspiring us in His love . . . and His almighty power of grace makes us unstoppable to do what He has us think and do. So, even if Satan can "overhear" what we are thinking with God . . . Satan won't be able to stop us if we are obeying God in His almighty grace which Satan can not change or stop.

I think our Apostle Paul learned this, after having that "thorn in the flesh" "messenger of Satan" messing with him > 2 Corinthians 12:7-10. At first, to me it seems, that thorn demon was getting the better of Paul . . . but only if and while Paul was doing things in the weakness of his own ego. But then he had a little talk with Jesus, and he learned to make sure he did only what God had him doing in grace with almighty power to make him unstoppable in whatever God really had him doing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I don't think the idea is scriptural that most people have - that the devil can't read our minds. He is a spirit-being. He does not need ears to physically hear. And I have silently told demons to shut up, and they have obeyed.
A deaf person does not have to hear in order to know they are being resisted. The devil and his demons are fallen angels. They can know according to their observations of my actions and my past and my ancestery what my thoughts may or may not be, and they play with what they know to get further information, but he nor they are God that they actually know my innermost thoughts. I've totally ignored them and they left....I think it was boredom, not obedience.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Bible says >

"Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you." (James 4:17)

So . . . like Spirit Psalmist could be showing > just talking to Satan won't make him go away; whether or not an evil spiritual being can "hear" our thinking, words of our thinking alone can't make evil beings go away. We need to submit to God, and how God's power makes us so Satanic feelings and emotions and stinking thinking can not get the better of us; and it is God's almighty power which makes Satan flee.

So, then . . . even if an evil being can read what we are thinking, what matters is if we are living in God's power which is able to make Satanic beings flee from us.

So, the real issue is if we are submitting to God.

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
...So, then . . . even if an evil being can read what we are thinking, what matters is if we are living in God's power which is able to make Satanic beings flee from us.... the real issue is if we are submitting to God.
Amen.

Upvote 0

ServantJohn

Not quite a newbie...
Nov 9, 2010
✟12,108.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
"Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so." (Acts 17:11) Don't just pray and wait passively. Study to show yourself approved and examine the Scriptures to see if the things you hear are so. Don't be too quick to decide whether something is true or not, good or bad. Be thorough and patient. Above all else, don't be anxious. Rest in your Father's love for you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AGTG

Mar 11, 2014
✟6,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My firm belief is that the enemy cannot read our minds. But, two things:

1) The enemy becomes expert at reading our face, our body language, our emotional responses, our voice, our gestures, etc, etc... You get it. If the devil wants to hinder someone, he will examine them closely and use whatever insight he can glean from those observations. He is brilliant, and he also watches our environments and knows how and when to push buttons or place little whispers into our mind to deceive or demoralize.

2) The Bible clearly teaches that the heart, above all things, is wickedly deceptive. From that passage, I presume the heart to translate into our flesh. Christians can be walking after the Holy Spirit or tarrying in their flesh. In other words, New Covenant believers can walk powerfully after the Holy Spirit if they live their faith according to Biblical standards and practices. But, if people don't walk out those things daily, they can get very fleshly and carnal. In that state, our hearts will whisper deceptive nonsense to us. Why? Because our flesh, as the Bible clearly states, is the enemy of God even though we've surrendered our lives to Him.

There have been times when I've been walking so powerfully after the Holy Spirit that my flesh was silent. Then, when I heard from the Holy Spirit, I knew it. It was very clear.

If you want to walk after the Spirit in a greater measure, mortify the flesh through fasting and prayer. Spend time in worship and study of the Word. You can gain a great deal of momentum as it's kind of like getting a two-ton truck rolling.

Reactions: CarolNY
Upvote 0

Flowful

Aug 27, 2015
✟15,482.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, the enemy has no ability to read our minds. He is however, able to read our actions and our words. This would be a great time to pray in tongues where you don't know how to pray but the Holy Spirit does and He will intercede for you and our enemy is not able to understand. It's not uncommon for the enemy to interject his thoughts into ours in accordance with what we say and/or do. The way that is intercepted is by breaking into praise and thanking God. I remember one time when the enemy was particularly weighing me down with some things that had happened in the past. Suddenly, I realized what was happening and I began to praise God and thank Him for His deliverance from the things that had happened. In my mind I envisioned the enemy screaming and fleeing from me in terror. LOL It works. As time goes on and you break out in praise I think the enemy will be confused and not even be able to tell by your actions to even guess at what is going on in your head.

" In my mind I envisioned the enemy screaming and fleeing from me in terror. LOL It works."

Oh My God finally someone who has experienced same!! I was already believing it by myself alone because it always worked so well! I was already building theories about this that imagination is coming from spiritual realm etc. etc. Praying in tongues, praising, praying, worshipping, reading bible, striking back with Word of God I guess there is more ways to make the devil flee. You can humiliate him by using Word of God against his lies and God will be happy about it, you can literally make devil beg for mercy.. at least thats what I am seeing sometimes when he is not running away.
This one time not too long ago I was on LSD and I was attacked, devil tried to make me do some stupid things which I would regret afterwards.. everytime I got these nasty lies in my head I envisioned a snake and some more very symbolical things, like a cross too. (LSD boosts your imagination, I read bible that day while still on LSD and I felt like I was reading some super magical book from different realm and it was extremely interesting, it also opened my eyes towards some things and made me start reading the Bible out loud with other people, because I was seeing so clearly how God's Word works)
Sometimes I see (completely sober too) a demon/dragon, sometimes a dagger etc. when I get these lies. Sometimes his lies make no sense, like he misses completely. I still miss at least a shield from my armor, but I think when you will get fully equipped his lies cant touch you.. You will always see behind them when you get your whole armor, sword included. I think it is actually underestimated how much lies devil can try to push in your head even when you are Christian. They can be very minor too, say one wrong word or eat something you should not and you might get a pointless argument from someone which again gives devil a chance to tempt you into saying wrong thing and eventually sin or at least might make you feel bad.

Not only I see devil I also have got these things from God too! This one time I got extremely detailed image of a snail.. haha I was slow at grasping some things.. for example how huge is His Love for us.. God bless you all ♥

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CarolNY

Dec 25, 2015
NY
✟7,661.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
My firm belief is that the enemy cannot read our minds. But, two things:

1) The enemy becomes expert at reading our face, our body language, our emotional responses, our voice, our gestures, etc, etc... You get it. If the devil wants to hinder someone, he will examine them closely and use whatever insight he can glean from those observations. He is brilliant, and he also watches our environments and knows how and when to push buttons or place little whispers into our mind to deceive or demoralize.

2) The Bible clearly teaches that the heart, above all things, is wickedly deceptive. From that passage, I presume the heart to translate into our flesh. Christians can be walking after the Holy Spirit or tarrying in their flesh. In other words, New Covenant believers can walk powerfully after the Holy Spirit if they live their faith according to Biblical standards and practices. But, if people don't walk out those things daily, they can get very fleshly and carnal. In that state, our hearts will whisper deceptive nonsense to us. Why? Because our flesh, as the Bible clearly states, is the enemy of God even though we've surrendered our lives to Him.

There have been times when I've been walking so powerfully after the Holy Spirit that my flesh was silent. Then, when I heard from the Holy Spirit, I knew it. It was very clear.

If you want to walk after the Spirit in a greater measure, mortify the flesh through fasting and prayer. Spend time in worship and study of the Word. You can gain a great deal of momentum as it's kind of like getting a two-ton truck rolling.

This makes perfect sense....The Enemy walks around like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour....and the battle we face is a spiritual one. Satan knows how to get our buttons pushed. This explaination of how he observes our every move and make calculated moves...it is all part of his battle plans. I used to think he could read my mind, but it turns out...he just spies on my every move. Thank you for this insight!

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I can't really say either way from first hand knowledge. However, as there are human mind readers, and the being you're talking about has been around observing us for thousands of years... the probability is high.
the best trick to fool mind readers is just to think about something else until your mind is filled with it. Philippians 4:4-9 talks about something similar, howbeit .. "next level"

Upvote 0