can still join church if doctrine diffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynnallison

Dec 8, 2005
✟120.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi I have a question for any A/G or like members,
I have attended this church body for over a year, but did not sign up for membership YET, only b/c I have some disagreement with a couple of their doctrinal points which are non-essentials.

Am I allowed to become a member, even if I dont subscribe/adhere to every single point? All else is perfect. I do feel led to membership and desire it very much.

Thanks for your opinion/answer.
Blessings,
Lynn

Godslilgurlalways

I am a Child of the King:)
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2005
Earth now heaven later
✟67,365.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I would say yes that you may not agree with every certain point. I feel that you need to list them and see if they are very important or does it strongly go against what you believe but most of all I think you need to ask God and he will tell you in due time. I hope this helps and God please you, btw, Good question.:)God Bless:)

Upvote 0

lynnallison

Dec 8, 2005
✟120.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, thank you - very helpful! :amen:

I will pray and consider that these non-essentials should not hold me back from signing my name on "the dotted line" for the church I am in most belief with.
They are so awesome! I came from a Protestant-Church of Christ backround, so there are a few things I still dont see clearly on, denominationally. But we should always refer to the bible, and Holy Spirits speaking to our hearts.

Thank you again.,
Lynn

Upvote 0

EmeraldLily

Sep 13, 2005
WHERE IT'S COLD!!!
✟8,298.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have just taken a membership class and have my booklet what are your doctrine issues? I may be able to tell you specifics on what the booklet or my pastor says. We spent a few weeks and went in depth on a lot of the information. PM me if you want. I'd love to help.

Upvote 0

lynnallison

Dec 8, 2005
✟120.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oh thank you!!
first is tithing - I came from church that gave free-will, so this A/G ordinance is new to me. I will support it being it is biblical as I understand it, however I'm not yet fully convinced in my heart for me yet....dont want to give 'under compulsion', see. I do give alot and have a giving heart.

second is complete abstinence from wine,
I dont care to partake much, and comPLETEly understand the lack of wisdom involved and do not recommend, but there are so many bible verses in support and restriction, that I again -- unconvinced at complete denouncement by A/G.

If I am not adhering to these -- may I still join as member?
I have the 16 doctrines of AG booklet, do not see these inside.

Thanks for your help, always!
Blessings in Christ.
Lynn

Upvote 0

EmeraldLily

Sep 13, 2005
WHERE IT'S COLD!!!
✟8,298.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
lynnallison said:
If I am not adhering to these -- may I still join as member?
I have the 16 doctrines of AG booklet, do not see these inside.
:) Tithe was addressed in a hand out and wine was on the Membership covenant that you sign if you join.
Hope I was able to help some...Best advice....
Talk to your pastor/Pray/ Follow your heart.
Blessings

Upvote 0
L

LittleRocketBoy

lynnallison said:
Hi I have a question for any A/G or like members,
I have attended this church body for over a year, but did not sign up for membership YET, only b/c I have some disagreement with a couple of their doctrinal points which are non-essentials.

Am I allowed to become a member, even if I dont subscribe/adhere to every single point? All else is perfect. I do feel led to membership and desire it very much.

Thanks for your opinion/answer.
Blessings,
Lynn
You will never find a church where you agree with their teaching 100%. That is a very rare thing indeed. Part of being a beleiver is knowing our limitations in this area and exercising compassion toward each other. I would say you should shoot for the top threee or four:

What do they believe about Jesus?
What do they believe about faith?
What do they believe about sin?
How do they praise and worship?

The rest will work itself out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

prophecystudent

Oct 10, 2005
✟1,313.00
Faith
Christian
It sounds to me like the leadership in your particular church is imposing requirements on its members that are not biblical. For starters, there is no Bible requirement that prohibits the drinking of wine. In fact, if it is a sin, how is it that Christ's first miracle was the turn wine into water at the wedding? The other evening I was reading the Bible, and came across a verse in which Paul was encouraging the recipient of the letter to drink a little wine for the sake of his stomach. Our whole belief in Christ and His salvation is based on His sinless life. If it was a sin to drink wine, then He would have caused everyone who drank of the wine he created to sin. Not possible.

Regarding the tithe: Tithing is encouraged in the Bible, Nowhere have I read that it is a requirement. In fact, check out Acts 5:1 regarding Ananias and wife. They sold some property and decided to keep part of the proceeds. They lied about how much they had received. Peter said it was their money and they could have kept it, or given part as they saw fit. Their sin was not in giving what they chose to the church, their sin was in lying about it.

I once had an interesting conversation with our pastor's wife regarding playing cards and drinking wine. She stated that both were sins and therefor were prohibited. I asked why Christ's first miracle was to create wine if it was a sin to drink it. She said it led to drinking too much and that could lead to sin. I also pointed out that the Bible recommended drinking a little wine, but not to excess. She had no answer. (A/G church)

Regarding playing cards, her position was that doing so was a sin because the Roman soldiers had gambled for Christ's cloak as He was hanging on the cross. Nothing in the Bible about gambling or playing cards. In fact, many times in the Old Testament, the leaders of Israel "cast lots" to make decisions. I assume this was on the basis that God controlled the dice (or whatever they were using) to have them reach the decision He wanted.

In closing, I would not sign a promise that I would tithe, or that I would not drink wine. If they decide that you cannot join the church because you refuse to agree to something that is not biblical, then you should look elsewhere. If you like the A/G church find another congregation and see if they have the same restrictions. I would be very surprised if they did. This sounds like some of the "elders" are putting their own spin on things, and that seldom leads to "good things".

Fred

Upvote 0

lynnallison

Dec 8, 2005
✟120.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Fred,

Your words of advise are both refreshing and encouraging...you have quite a gift there, and I'm thrilled you decided to us it in this forum, by answering. I guess I had assumed all A/G's had the same restrictions, interesting. Well, I have attended my congregation for two years and am very happy there -- and/but you are right! I do not intend to membership for the reasons you brought forward, that would be lying if I signed up without intention of keeping each of their ordinances.

So I will continue as 'attender'.

Thank you for being a blessing.
Lynn

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.