Dec 24, 2003
✟77,794.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
It's not about emotion or intellect. It's about responding with humility to the Spirit. As far you finding it very strange, it is strange to us as humans, but it's what God decided to do. It's also Biblical. What he predestined was the means of salvation, not individuals.. I also have no idea where you are coming from, since you have only said what you don't believe, not what you do. Are you a universalist?
These verses seem to say that individuals are predestined:

Romans 8:29
For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters.

Romans 8:30
And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

Ephesians 1:5
he predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will—

Ephesians 1:11
In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will,

Or am I reading them wrong?

If I remember correctly Universalists believe that all will be saved (eventually at least). I'm not sure that's my position. I think the bible can be taken to mean either that or that those who are not saved simply die and don't get eternal life neither in hell nor in heaven.

Upvote 0

Loren T.

Jun 26, 2018
Hadley
✟24,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Something else I forgot to say about Romans 9, which really made me appreciate Paul's subtle way of wording things, or maybe it's not so subtle, but I never saw it for a long time.
"19 One of you will say to me: “Then why does God still blame us? For who is able to resist his will?” 20 But who are you, a human being, to talk back to God?"

Paul is using a literary device where he is arguing against an unseen opponent, in this case, a hardened Jew who is mad at God for using Israel's rebellion to spread the gospel to the gentile dogs.

But, sometimes I have wondered if Paul wasn't given a glimpse of how people would misuse Romans 9 to insist God arbitrarily chooses some for salvation and some for hell. Because he puts a subtle pun in here that not only proves the objecter wrong, it proves the determinist reader wrong too.
Once we know the objector is not us (unless we are mad at God for using our sin to save others)
we can see the objector is also wrong in what he says about us not being able to resist God's will. And this means, the one who believes in limited election is also wrong, because he thinks everything is predestined, therefore everything is God's will. But what does Paul say: "But who are you, a human being, to talk back to God?"
In one sentence, Paul confirms that we are, indeed, able to talk back to God, that we CAN resist God's will and that God is not controlling everything we do. And he tells the objector that he has no right to tell God who he can save and who he can't. Romans is about God's love and mercy being expanded by the cross to reach whosoever will. Those who think it's about limited atonement have it exactly backwards, which is actually quite sad. If they are right, then the rebellious objector is also right, God should not blame us for anything. But, thank God, they aren't!

Upvote 0

Loren T.

Jun 26, 2018
Hadley
✟24,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
These verses seem to say that individuals are predestined:

Romans 8:29
For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters.

Romans 8:30
And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

Ephesians 1:5
he predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will—

Ephesians 1:11
In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will,

Or am I reading them wrong?

If I remember correctly Universalists believe that all will be saved (eventually at least). I'm not sure that's my position. I think the bible can be taken to mean either that or that those who are not saved simply die and don't get eternal life neither in hell nor in heaven.

"(1) Election is Christocentric, i.e., election of humans occurs only in union with Jesus Christ. “He chose us in him” (Eph. 1:4; see 1:1, note). Jesus himself is first of all the elect of God. Concerning Jesus, God states, “Here is my servant whom I have chosen” (Mt 12:18; cf. Isa 42:1, 6; 1 Pet 2:4). Christ, as the elect, is the foundation of our election. Only in union with Christ do we become members of the elect (Eph 1:4, 6-7, 9-10, 12-13). No one is elect apart from union with Christ through faith."

"2) Predestination, like election, refers to the corporate body of Christ (i.e., the true spiritual church), and comprehends individuals only in association with that body through a living faith in Jesus Christ (Eph 1:5, 7, 13; cf. Ac 2:38-41; 16:31)."
https://soteriology101.com/2015/03/09/the-corporate-view-of-election/

This might be helpful.

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi, I am looking forward to forming a response a bit later on. In the meantime, could I ask you to supply the verses in support of what you have said here:
the bible doesn't say we become sinners, but that we are born that way.

But since the newborn is a sinner, there's simply no way he will not go on to commit sin.

God did indeed make us all sinners, apparently in order to prove a point

But the bible also says Judas did it in order that the scriptures be fulfilled.

.. I will be looking at the detail of what is said in them, much as you have done by observing St Paul: "it's interesting that he doesn't invalidate the objection".

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
It's what the Bible says over and over and over again. Salvation is contingent upon belief.
There are two problems with this:
  • Faith is more than belief. "pistis" is a broader word, including also trust and faithfulness.
  • It's not so clear that justification by faith means salvation by faith. Paul can reasonably be read as saying that God uses faith to put us right with himself, but then holds us responsible for what we do.

Upvote 0

holo

former Christian
Dec 24, 2003
✟77,794.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Hi, I am looking forward to forming a response a bit later on. In the meantime, could I ask you to supply the verses in support of what you have said here:

.. I will be looking at the detail of what is said in them, much as you have done by observing St Paul: "it's interesting that he doesn't invalidate the objection".

Romans 7:25
25 Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in my sinful naturea]">[a] a slave to the law of sin.

Paul wrote a lot about being slaves to sin, the sinful nature, how it can not please God, being destined for destruction and so forth. As far as I can tell, his point is that people are sinners by nature. Put another way, a sinner can't really choose not to sin. Which is evident anyway - if we could, then presumably we could find some sinner who actually didn't sin.

Upvote 0

holo

former Christian
Dec 24, 2003
✟77,794.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I'm not sure I'll go on discussing this whole free will, does God love everyone, what is salvation anymore. I mean, I think theology is interesting and I'm still curious what the first Christians believed, but I mean... what are we even arguing about? I find it curious that even now that I don't believe, I still have the tendency to think that the bible is some sort of coherent and consistent story. But it's clearly not. If you don't come at it with the assumption that it's all true, the word of God, it's not exactly easy to figure out what it's actually saying. When it appears to be so unclear on pretty weighty matters like whether or not God loves everyone, and every denomination feels like their interpretation is obviously the right one, maybe it's time to ask the question: what if none of them is right? It could be that God gave us the bible and is ok with nobody understanding it fully, or that one denomination or one Christian somewhere is getting it right, but it seems to me a much more reasonable conclusion that the bible isn't in fact the word of God. I mean if you collected religious scriptures over thousands of years, written by people just like us, with all our opinions, culture, assumptions, our tendency to see meaning where there is none, etc, it's not unlikely to end up with something like the bible. I think that's the most likely explanation for why it's so darn hard to agree on what the bible teaches.

Another possibility is that God himself decided the bible be like this, but that itself seems to conflict with how God is described in the scriptures. Based on the bible stories one would expect God to be a little more clear about what he wants to say.

But it's like we have to "help" God all the time. Explain him. Seeing all kinds of coincidences as well as normal human behaviour and insert God as an explanation for it.

• Agree
Reactions: Serving Zion
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It could be that God gave us the bible and is ok with nobody understanding it fully, or that one denomination or one Christian somewhere is getting it right,

Well, ... of course, nobody gets it all right.

The message of the Bible is that God (a higher intelligence) arranged the circumstances and contexts of human existence, and continues to intervene in our development (both individually and collectively) to inspire us to moral progress, ... and Who will reward those that begin to progress into LOVE with admission into His own advanced and LOVING community.

The concept for the Jodie Foster movie "Contact" is essentially the same. We are being parented/mentored into becoming morally evolved citizens of the universe.

It is much more about this ... than about all the little accompanying details that we wish to make such a big deal about ...

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That doesn't really answer what I wrote, but if I'm reading you right, if I don't agree with you about what the bible says, it's because I'm making up narratives and compromising scripture. If that's how you really feel, let me know and we can just end the discussion right away, because it's not going to be meaningful.
1: I will never force anyone to reply. if you don't like me my message or how it is presented you can stop replying at any time. I won't pursue you or chase after you or even do a victory lap.

If you care my point was to show you the difference between how you interpret and what I do. I am quoting scripture, and giving a brief description of what was posted. you are telling what you think the bible says. That is pure commentary NOT interpretation. you must have a base line for interpretation meaning you must have source material to interpret. simply saying the bible says is not source material. Show me where exactly, what it says that contextually. That is what I do for you and provide a brief explanation.. That is interpreting something. Not the bible says and then give me the doctrine of free will. Again that is just providing commentary. you are not interpreting anything you are just repeating what some other man thinks about his ability to think apart from God.

I know about those verses. What I'm wondering is what the word hate means in the context and in the original language. Also if the hate is eternal.
I provided all of this maybe it was for someone else.. but hate is to have an emotional dislike. it does not have to be malicious or spiteful. it describes a dislike based on emotion rather than reason. that is the ancient and the modern definition. the urban version or the pop culture version ties evil to hatred. to hate in modern culture is to wish ill or to damn someone. that is not what the bible describes. hate here is neutral dislike.

I think we mostly agree about free will. That has probably been the biggest shift for me in how I understand the bible.
Good. the next most important thing to understand is the whole of Romans.. I know it is a big undertaking but get an easy to read version and start reading. because to understand we are slaves to sin brings us freedom from sin and the law. it does not allow us to sin in any way but it explains who we are in relation to God and ourselves. it is one more step to freedom in Christ. With freedom in Christ comes the Holy Spirit.. then hang on to something. He turn my life upside down in two weeks and built me back up stronger than I had ever been, or know it possible to be.

[qute]
Sorry, I just don't understand what you're saying here.

I have a hard time seeing the "responsibility" in it. The wicked are wicked because God made them so, and likewise with the righteous. So in one way it doesn't make sense to say one is more guilty or evil than the other. They can't do otherwise.[/QUOTE]
To a degree yes there is no "more wicked." there is only sin and redemption. Those in sin without redemption.. it does not matter if they have only told one white lie or they are murders. They belong to the sin without redemption category. so if their fate is the same no matter what Why not then use them to help the redeemed? God is the God of all even if sinners choose to not be redeemed, so then why can't God use all the lego type blocks in his box and not just the lego branded ones?

Meaning if they want to be evil, fine let them do evil for the purpose God would have them do to help benefit a believer in some way.

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Who is the one asking these questions? This is a very important question, because it tells us what their objection is too.
seriously? Paul asked them rhetoricly in romans 9, then later in romans 9 answered the question.

I'll give you a hint.
Romans 3:5 But if our unrighteousness brings out God’s righteousness more clearly, what shall we say? That God is unjust in bringing his wrath on us? (I am using a human argument.) 6 Certainly not! If that were so, how could God judge the world? 7 Someone might argue, “If my falsehood enhances God’s truthfulness and so increases his glory, why am I still condemned as a sinner?” 8 Why not say—as some slanderously claim that we say—“Let us do evil that good may result”? Their condemnation is just!
Romans 3 is a parallel to Romans 9. Same basic questions and same answers that are in chapter 10, just not as wordy.

(Also, your translation seems a little funky. I don't know any other translation that uses the word "controls" )
yeah kinda explained all of this in my last post. when someone actually asked about how this was a fair practice of God.

Also don't be one of those guys who hangs their whole belief system on a specific translation. for 1 the same graced extended to us when we willfully sin is also extended when we use out tools and everything he gave us in an effort to find and worship him even if we get it wrong. Really how much more will would God be to forgive someone trying to love Him with all their heart mind spirit and strength but simply do not have the ablity to do any more than they do, even if that falls short.

Think of a child who bring a drawing home from preschool of your home the car, dog the tree out front and the rest of the family done in stick figure form all with big smiles.. Now the standard would be a 4K super hi-def photograph of the same scene but actually set in front of your house with all those things and people. Now the stick figure effort from your kid no where close represents what the 4K photo does in the way of accuracy. but do you think a Father would punish his child for not being able to obtain the photo realism of a 4K photo graph if the poor child had no way of producing a 4K super hi def photograph? All the while mindfully forgiving out right rebellion and even sometimes hatred towards himself and his son? How can he punish the redeemed who are working in the love commanded and forgive those who are in a state of rebellion when they come to Him?

2 translations are never to be used as standard bearers. Translations merely convey ideas or premises based on two methodologies. one being the literal translation only making room and adjustment for grammar and syntax and a literal translation. which are often squed by denominational influences. Then there are bibles like the ERV who split the hairs of literal and topical translations. the take the codex and hammer out what the text would say in everyday language. which is not a problem for people with the tools and knowledge to look up any passages that might be in question.

The idea being one need to have a strong understanding of the basics first which is why we need something easy to read as none of us speak in a dead dialect. then we can split hairs in the greek.
because it is meaningless to split hairs in the english as too much no matter which translation you use is lost in said translation.

The word 'control' is derived from 3 words in the greek which when assembled describe God's control over people.

ἀνθίστημι
anthistēmi or to resist

αὐτόςautos literally "HIS"

βούλημαboulēma literally 'will'

So together " Who can resist his will?" The the passage goes on to describe God controlling pharoah by hardening his heart in order so that God may make an example of this ruler and of this nation. His will being his control.

The reason people tend to still use dead dialects is so the passage is semi hidden and can be made to mean a variety of different things especially when paired with scrap book theology. The easy to read removes all obscurity and plants it's feet and locks in a final direction or a final narrative. people don't like this because again it leaves no room to change what the bible says. And again if you think a passage is wrong then look it up.
99 times out of 100 I found the erv to be correct, and my perception to be wrong. which forces me to change what I thought about God.

What is Paul getting at? He is explaining how God used the rebellion of the Jews to bring the gospel to the whole world. God chose Isaac to be the father of Israel. God chose to use even Pharoah's rebellion for good. The Potter and the clay?
you do understand I quoted this passage to give this same explanation but I took the time to break it down a little further right?
"Jer 18:5 Then the word of the Lord came to me: 6 “O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter has done? declares the Lord. Behold, like the clay in the potter's hand, so are you in my hand, O house of Israel. 7 If at any time I declare concerning a nation or a kingdom, that I will pluck up and break down and destroy it, 8 and if that nation, concerning which I have spoken, turns from its evil, I will relent of the disaster that I intended to do to it. 9 And if at any time I declare concerning a nation or a kingdom that I will build and plant it, 10 and if it does evil in my sight, not listening to my voice, then I will relent of the good that I had intended to do to it. 11 Now, therefore, say to the men of Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem: ‘Thus says the Lord, Behold, I am shaping disaster against you and devising a plan against you. Return, every one from his evil way, and amend your ways and your deeds.’

God chose some people for special jobs and some for common use. Does this mean God doesn't love all? As you can see from the above verses, it surely does not mean that man's choices for good or evil do not affect what God does. In fact, we see that God himself can be conflicted. He wanted to show his anger but he wanted to show grace more, so he was patient until the chosen time. Now, to understand how WE are chosen you have to get beyond the artificial separation of chapters and quit reading romans 9 as if it isn't connected to romans 10 and 11.

romans 10:12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.

(All means all.)

13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?

17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

18 But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world.

19 But I say, Did not Israel know? First Moses saith, I will provoke you to jealousy by them that are no people, and by a foolish nation I will anger you.

20 But Esaias is very bold, and saith, I was found of them that sought me not; I was made manifest unto them that asked not after me.

21 But to Israel he saith, All day long I have stretched forth my hands unto a disobedient and gainsaying people.

Those who have faith are chosen for salvation. This is the point Paul is getting to, by explaining how God brought about the plan of salvation through the Jews rebellion.
do you even read my posts or do you look for key words in what I write, assume that I am wrong and just write out preconceived sermons? why is there a need to take what was written and simply rephrase everything? all you did here is took what I purposely made simple and took it up a few notches. It's great you understand things on this level, but you... are not the one being focused on. I was writing to a person who did not need what you came here to 'correct.'

Einstein said if you truly understand a principle you can phrase it in such a way to make a child understand it. Don't confuse simple with simple minded. when I see someone describing something on a very simplistic but accurate level I assume first I see a master at work, until they prove otherwise.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Loren T.

Jun 26, 2018
Hadley
✟24,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
seriously? Paul asked them rhetoricly in romans 9, then later in romans 9 answered the question.

yeah kinda explained all of this in my last post. when someone actually asked about how this was a fair practice of God.

Also don't be one of those guys who hangs their whole belief system on a specific translation. for 1 the same graced extended to us when we willfully sin is also extended when we use out tools and everything he gave us in an effort to find and worship him even if we get it wrong. Really how much more will would God be to forgive someone trying to love Him with all their heart mind spirit and strength but simply do not have the ablity to do any more than they do, even if that falls short.

Think of a child who bring a drawing home from preschool of your home the car, dog the tree out front and the rest of the family done in stick figure form all with big smiles.. Now the standard would be a 4K super hi-def photograph of the same scene but actually set in front of your house with all those things and people. Now the stick figure effort from your kid no where close represents what the 4K photo does in the way of accuracy. but do you think a Father would punish his child for not being able to obtain the photo realism of a 4K photo graph if the poor child had no way of producing a 4K super hi def photograph? All the while mindfully forgiving out right rebellion and even sometimes hatred towards himself and his son? How can he punish the redeemed who are working in the love commanded and forgive those who are in a state of rebellion when they come to Him?

2 translations are never to be used as standard bearers. Translations merely convey ideas or premises based on two methodologies. one being the literal translation only making room and adjustment for grammar and syntax and a literal translation. which are often squed by denominational influences. Then there are bibles like the ERV who split the hairs of literal and topical translations. the take the codex and hammer out what the text would say in everyday language. which is not a problem for people with the tools and knowledge to look up any passages that might be in question.

The idea being one need to have a strong understanding of the basics first which is why we need something easy to read as none of us speak in a dead dialect. then we can split hairs in the greek.
because it is meaningless to split hairs in the english as too much no matter which translation you use is lost in said translation.

The word 'control' is derived from 3 words in the greek which when assembled describe God's control over people.

ἀνθίστημι
anthistēmi or to resist

αὐτόςautos literally "HIS"

βούλημαboulēma literally 'will'

So together " Who can resist his will?" The the passage goes on to describe God controlling pharoah by hardening his heart in order so that God may make an example of this ruler and of this nation. His will being his control.

The reason people tend to still use dead dialects is so the passage is semi hidden and can be made to mean a variety of different things especially when paired with scrap book theology. The easy to read removes all obscurity and plants it's feet and locks in a final direction or a final narrative. people don't like this because again it leaves no room to change what the bible says. And again if you think a passage is wrong then look it up.
99 times out of 100 I found the erv to be correct, and my perception to be wrong. which forces me to change what I thought about God.

you do understand I quoted this passage to give this same explanation but I took the time to break it down a little further right?

do you even read my posts or do you look for key words in what I write, assume that I am wrong and just write out preconceived sermons? why is there a need to take what was written and simply rephrase everything? all you did here is took what I purposely made simple and took it up a few notches. It's great you understand things on this level, but you... are not the one being focused on. I was writing to a person who did not need what you came here to 'correct.'

Einstein said if you truly understand a principle you can phrase it in such a way to make a child understand it. Don't confuse simple with simple minded. when I see someone describing something on a very simplistic but accurate level I assume first I see a master at work, until they prove otherwise.
Well, then we agree that Romans 9 is not teaching individual election..no need for further discussion.

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, then we agree that Romans 9 is not teaching individual election..no need for further discussion.
...and that is your problem.

From the start you have been trying to corner me into a stereotype so you can trounce out well worn over used traditional arguments just to be bogged down in your same old conclusions..

How many time must I tell you people I am not a calvinist? that I do not believe in predestination? yet can also say we are slaves and not believe the BS that comes with the doctrine of free will that could not have existed when the bible was compiled as it was not even a point of discussion till 600 AD ? As far as I am concerned (and anyone with any loyalty to truth is concerned) the doctrine of free will was invested in the middle of the dark ages as a means for the church to tighten it's control over people. because if we choose to sin we need the church to sell us indulgences (forgiveness from sin because apparently the work of Christ was not enough back then) So clearly the bible never mentions or even points to free will as the doctrine defines it. It says we are slaves to sin. In this case... slaves get to make some limited decisions, just not when it comes to sin. yes you might be able to forgo sinning from time to time, but no one can live sin free. The choices we make are not free will, they are the consequences/limitations placed on us by our sin. Freedom is not a or b live here work there marry a dude or woman. free will is the absolute freedom to do anything without obstruction. our will will always either be subject to God or subject to Satan/sin. we can not do anything out side of the will of our masters. until we accept our roles and seek freedom through Christ. still not free will, but it is freedom from sin.

Upvote 0

Loren T.

Jun 26, 2018
Hadley
✟24,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
...and that is your problem.

From the start you have been trying to corner me into a stereotype so you can trounce out well worn over used traditional arguments just to be bogged down in your same old conclusions..

How many time must I tell you people I am not a calvinist? that I do not believe in predestination? yet can also say we are slaves and not believe the BS that comes with the doctrine of free will that could not have existed when the bible was compiled as it was not even a point of discussion till 600 AD ? As far as I am concerned (and anyone with any loyalty to truth is concerned) the doctrine of free will was invested in the middle of the dark ages as a means for the church to tighten it's control over people. because if we choose to sin we need the church to sell us indulgences (forgiveness from sin because apparently the work of Christ was not enough back then) So clearly the bible never mentions or even points to free will as the doctrine defines it. It says we are slaves to sin. In this case... slaves get to make some limited decisions, just not when it comes to sin. yes you might be able to forgo sinning from time to time, but no one can live sin free. The choices we make are not free will, they are the consequences/limitations placed on us by our sin. Freedom is not a or b live here work there marry a dude or woman. free will is the absolute freedom to do anything without obstruction. our will will always either be subject to God or subject to Satan/sin. we can not do anything out side of the will of our masters. until we accept our roles and seek freedom through Christ. still not free will, but it is freedom from sin.
Maybe if you had just stated your position clearly in the first place...I could have saved a lot of typing. No Christian believes we are free to do anything we please, of course we have limits, we are mere humans, that would be silly. I doubt even Peligious took it that far.

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Maybe if you had just stated your position clearly in the first place...I could have saved a lot of typing. No Christian believes we are free to do anything we please, of course we have limits, we are mere humans, that would be silly. I doubt even Peligious took it that far.
Look at your first few quotes to me.. you were not interested in my position, you were only interested in correcting calvinist doctrine. I never even address you directly, our interaction comes from you correcting what you thought I was trying to sell, and me trying to show you the contrast between what you thought I was doing and what I have been saying for the last month here.

Upvote 0

holo

former Christian
Dec 24, 2003
✟77,794.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
1: I will never force anyone to reply. if you don't like me my message or how it is presented you can stop replying at any time. I won't pursue you or chase after you or even do a victory lap.

If you care my point was to show you the difference between how you interpret and what I do. I am quoting scripture, and giving a brief description of what was posted. you are telling what you think the bible says. That is pure commentary NOT interpretation. you must have a base line for interpretation meaning you must have source material to interpret. simply saying the bible says is not source material. Show me where exactly, what it says that contextually. That is what I do for you and provide a brief explanation.. That is interpreting something. Not the bible says and then give me the doctrine of free will. Again that is just providing commentary. you are not interpreting anything you are just repeating what some other man thinks about his ability to think apart from God.
My point is it seemed to me that your attitude was that if someone doesn't agree with your interpretation or understanding of the scriptures, then it's because they're picking and choosing or distorting or making things up and so forth.

We can't read the bible without interpreting it somehow. When I say what I think some verse means, it's because I have read it and have an interpretation of it, or I may go with somebody else's interpretation. It may be wrong.

By the way, my thoughts about free will and such are mostly my own (as far as I'm aware), meaning I didn't merely read it somewhere to parrot it.

• Useful
Reactions: Serving Zion
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Loren T.

Jun 26, 2018
Hadley
✟24,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Look at your first few quotes to me.. you were not interested in my position, you were only interested in correcting calvinist doctrine. I never even address you directly, our interaction comes from you correcting what you thought I was trying to sell, and me trying to show you the contrast between what you thought I was doing and what I have been saying for the last month here.
Actually you replied to me first, it appears, so I would say that you did address me directly, if that matters. Shrug. It was a fun discussion.

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

May 7, 2016
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
By the way, my thoughts about free will and such are mostly my own (as far as I'm aware), meaning I didn't merely read it somewhere to parrot it.
I am still looking forward to come back to your other thoughts, but here's another thought for you as you have put it in my mind by saying this:

Where do you think your thoughts, ideas, concepts come from if they are not from what you have read? .. and then, why do you consider that origin a different type of origin from what you might read? (What does the word "spirit" mean to you, as distinct from knowledge?).

Upvote 0

holo

former Christian
Dec 24, 2003
✟77,794.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I am still looking forward to come back to your other thoughts, but here's another thought for you as you have put it in my mind by saying this:

Where do you think your thoughts, ideas, concepts come from if they are not from what you have read? .. and then, why do you consider that origin a different type of origin from what you might read? (What does the word "spirit" mean to you, as distinct from knowledge?).
Good questions. I don't think my thought appear literally out of nowhere. But there are certain things I have come to think without having read or heard about them elsewhere. For instance, not too long ago I realized a serious problem with saying God is the author of morality: are things good because God says so, or does he say so because they are good. Of course I soon found out that I'm not exactly the first one to come up with that. But my point is I didn't merely repeat somebody else's argument. Same with free will. I've been thinking a LOT (probably too much, heh) about free will, and then sometimes I'll see that, for example, Sam Harris has come to the exact same conclusion (which made me feel kind of smart :D).

I'm not sure what you mean about knowledge distinct from spirit. Are you talking about the holy spirit revealing things?

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

May 7, 2016
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Could you elaborate on that?
Yes, what I meant by that is that when Jesus said on the cross "it is finished", it was a statement of finality. A declaration wherein there is no "if", "maybe", "let's see what happens", "one day.." etc, but in those words is an absolute declaration of certain authority.

Modern Christianity scarcely reflects that certain authority, where there is lots of democracy, compromises, "if's", "perhaps's" and "one day's". There is lots of fighting, hypocrisy, folly and downright evil amongt it too. Whereas your attitude has escaped all of that, so that you are just parting the seas and going wherever it seems right to go.. but you're also fairly accurate in your judgements - which means that your basically zen with the truth. But, what you think Christianity is doesn't match who you are, and what I just described of you seems to describe exactly what a Christian should be. This is why I have said that you seem to be suffering from a perspective of scripture that doesn't so well reflect the attitude that Jesus brought, and I gave an example of the attitude that I have seen in you, as Matthew 21:43-44 states:

"I tell you, the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a nation producing the fruits of it. Anyone who stumbles over that stone will be broken to pieces and it will crush anyone it falls on".

Again, it is one of those statements of finality, a declaration of certain authority, the type of speech that belongs to the noble calling of the one who is zen with the truth.

I don't see how those verses imply that there's an age of accountability though.
Luke 12:47-48 shows that the punishment is relative to the responsibility, and seeing as children have not learned or matured enough to be responsible for their errors, there is much more mercy naturally available to them in judgement. There is an age where this changes though, as the responsibility for error becomes more grave.

John 15:22 shows the same concept, is all. That there is no excuse for error once a person is sufficiently responsible.

James 4:17 shows that the definition of sin is directly relative to the knowledge of what is good and bad, and again, there is an age that a child attains this knowledge. Babies aren't born with a knowledge of good and bad, so that they can be blamed for doing sin.

Ecclesiastes 7:29 shows that God does not make mankind crooked, but it is over time that we invent ways to be less upright.

I guess it would be wrong to call them depraved, but a sinner is a sinner because he is born a sinner. Maybe we can talk about more sin or less sin, but the as far as I can tell, the bible (Romans 7:25) doesn't say we become sinners, but that we are born that way. It's in man's very nature to sin. As should be apparent since there is indeed no one righteous.
This phrase "sinner" is describing someone who does not reflect the perfect intention of the human, that is to love. As a result of the sin, they do things that produce regret or resentment, whereas wrong things can be done by a person who is acting of love, that doesn't righteously cause resentment or regret as sin does. What I find as a result of this, is that children have no condemnation for the wrong they do, because it is not of sin that they do those things. As soon as they are made aware of the wrong that they have done, in love, they repent. But grown-ups don't have the same knowledge of love, and being sinners themselves, they judge the child by the standard that is aplicable to their own sense of conscience. It is unrighteous to do that, but that is, by and large, what grown-ups are these days (Matthew 24:12).
I don't understand what you mean by "cannot happen unless it has actually happened".
It's a bit of a play on words. Where you said "It seems to me that we are sinners by birth, not by actions", I picked on the word "act" where you said "action", by saying that unless a thing "act"ually happens, then it cannot cause offence, and by logical conclusion seeing sin is an offence, a person can only be proven to be a sinner as a result of their actions.
I don't think your assumptions about my (former) doctrine. But maybe we're talking past each other. I don't mean that a newborn has guilt per se. I don't see what he could be judged for. But since the newborn is a sinner, there's simply no way he will not go on to commit sin.
But I am saying that it isn't the fact that a person is capable of doing sin that makes them the sinner, but that the world teaches and forms it's fallen, sinful ways into them long before they have learned to have the authority to make their own decisions.
Again I don't see how those verses say that it's the sinner who can't endure the righteous presence.
Do you know why? It only seems too clear to me. You'll actually have to explain yourself to me for this!
Well, yes. But maybe a better way to put it would be: I can't offer God anything unless he gives it to me first. I can't even believe in him unless he chooses to give me faith.
But seeing as you did once believe and that you were impervious to doubt at that time, then the more realistic reasoning is to address the source of the disbelief.
Nobody told me, I figured it out all on my own :D

But how to reconcile those verses with what Paul says in Romans about God making one vessel for glory and one for destruction and so forth? I don't see how anything can ultimately happen apart from God's will. Even Paul quotes the objection that "why have you made me so?" and it's interesting that he doesn't invalidate the objection, but just dismisses it with "who do you think you are to question God?" God did indeed make us all sinners, apparently in order to prove a point (his own righteousness or our inability to save ourselves, as far as I can tell).
It seems another example as with Pharaoh below.. where you have presented the cause as a mutually exclusive choice between our will and God's, whereas in reality it needn't be mutually exclusive, and I would argue that it indeed isn't.

This is because it is necessarily true that God does choose to "make/let" us become sinners, but it is ultimately our own choice to do the sin. Being wise as He is (Proverbs 21:30), He is always able to justify His righteousness in comparison.. and yet, is it not true that a sinner has failed to be holy because of his own choice? Is it not true also that God has allowed the sinner to do so while remaining beyond reproach in judgement?

These are not rhetorical questions but an absolute crux, because it is the basis for the truth in Philippians 3:21, that God has a remarkable power to put all things into subjection to Himself.

But the bible also says Judas did it in order that the scriptures be fulfilled.

Could he have freely chosen to love?
That is a question that only he is entitled to ask, and that I certainly have no right to answer. But it doesn't mean that I am not willing to dialogue with you further about it, just, that is all that seems appropriate for me to say at this stage.
There seems to be more verses saying that God hardened his heart than those saying he hardened his own heart:

Exodus 4:21
The Lord said to Moses, “When you return to Egypt, see that you perform before Pharaoh all the wonders I have given you the power to do. But I will harden his heart so that he will not let the people go.

Exodus 7:3
But I will harden Pharaoh’s heart, and though I multiply my signs and wonders in Egypt

Exodus 9:12
But the Lord hardened Pharaoh’s heart and he would not listen to Moses and Aaron, just as the Lord had said to Moses.

Exodus 10:1
Then the Lord said to Moses, “Go to Pharaoh, for I have hardened his heart and the hearts of his officials so that I may perform these signs of mine among them

Exodus 10:20 But the Lord hardened Pharaoh’s heart, and he would not let the Israelites go.

Exodus 10:27
But the Lord hardened Pharaoh’s heart, and he was not willing to let them go.

Exodus 11:10
Moses and Aaron performed all these wonders before Pharaoh, but the Lord hardened Pharaoh’s heart, and he would not let the Israelites go out of his country.

Exodus 14:4
And I will harden Pharaoh’s heart, and he will pursue them. But I will gain glory for myself through Pharaoh and all his army, and the Egyptians will know that I am the Lord.” So the Israelites did this.

Exodus 14:8
The Lord hardened the heart of Pharaoh king of Egypt, so that he pursued the Israelites, who were marching out boldly.

Exodus 14:17
I will harden the hearts of the Egyptians so that they will go in after them.

But since the bible seems to be saying both that he hardened his own heart and that God did it, what do we make of that?
I ask to establish the method by which God hardened Pharaoh's heart .. whether there is any indication that it was not Pharaoh's own decision that is to blame. The hardening of a heart when it is unrighteous to do so, can only be attributed to sin, that is pride, greed or envy, all of which are present factors in Pharaoh's plight. Then the important question in my view becomes not whether God has the necessary wisdom to cause Pharaoh to choose to harden his heart (because what match can reasonably be expected between the wisdom of a human compared to the wisdom of God?), but it is important to establish whether God was somehow responsible not only for His own decisions, but for Pharaoh's decision in each case, to the extent that Pharaoh cannot be rightfully blamed for the decision - in other words, did Pharaoh have a fair chance to choose to let Israel go, or was God ultimately to blame in some way for what culminated in the blood of Egypt's firstborn.
Romans 7:25
25 Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in my sinful naturea]">[a] a slave to the law of sin.

Paul wrote a lot about being slaves to sin, the sinful nature, how it can not please God, being destined for destruction and so forth. As far as I can tell, his point is that people are sinners by nature. Put another way, a sinner can't really choose not to sin. Which is evident anyway - if we could, then presumably we could find some sinner who actually didn't sin.
This comes right after he has said in verse 9 that he was alive once, but after the commandment came then sin came to life and he died.. so I am inclined to wonder, what about a baby? I'll suggest that a newborn doesn't "actually sin" .. (unless you might give some examples!). In fact, what is the first sin a child ever commits? It would be interesting to study the case and see the factors that contributed to it, because it is never without cause (iow, I posit that it would not have happened in an ideal world, therefore the fallen world provokes and teaches a person to become a sinner).

Without a perfect world to use as an example, all we can reasonably do is study specific examples. What I hate though, is the ignorance of the antichrist community that already has it's beliefs and doesn't bother to look at the reality. Those are the real provocative ones (Proverbs 29:27).
When it appears to be so unclear on pretty weighty matters like whether or not God loves everyone, and every denomination feels like their interpretation is obviously the right one, maybe it's time to ask the question: what if none of them is right? It could be that God gave us the bible and is ok with nobody understanding it fully, or that one denomination or one Christian somewhere is getting it right, but it seems to me a much more reasonable conclusion that the bible isn't in fact the word of God.
It is important to know that the bible itself isn't the Word of God, but we believe that what the bible says is the Word of God. This means that the translation into English has an inescapable impact upon the message - where the English language cannot convey the fulness of the original meaning, and even the translator themselves are making decisions about what meaning should be conveyed through it.

This article is a bit of an eye-opener about that, if you are interested. It explains how the YEC crowd have come about, and that so much of the value of Genesis is lost in translation.

Good questions. I don't think my thought appear literally out of nowhere. But there are certain things I have come to think without having read or heard about them elsewhere. For instance, not too long ago I realized a serious problem with saying God is the author of morality: are things good because God says so, or does he say so because they are good. Of course I soon found out that I'm not exactly the first one to come up with that. But my point is I didn't merely repeat somebody else's argument. Same with free will. I've been thinking a LOT (probably too much, heh) about free will, and then sometimes I'll see that, for example, Sam Harris has come to the exact same conclusion (which made me feel kind of smart :D).

I'm not sure what you mean about knowledge distinct from spirit. Are you talking about the holy spirit revealing things?
I say rather that knowledge describes an understanding that includes an element of information, whereas the spirit is an intention, or mood, that manifests attitude - affecting willingness to cooperate and expression through behaviour - so where we might talk about revelation by holy spirit, it means to me that a person does not have any sinful tendency (that is, a self-centred interest) that would prevent the truth from prevailing through the spirit's management of the resource of the mind - that is, to use the existing knowledge and character of the person, without any impairment that comes through the unwillingness of the individual to go there (which might be, for example, a fear of finding out that they were wrong, or their bitterness toward the one that they are conversing with etc).

In that way, if you have understood the previous paragraph, we see that the scriptures get twisted by people who are not willing to gain from them the new knowledge that The Holy Spirit is trying to convey through them. So instead of reading the scripture accurately for the given context in order to find agreement in truth that leads to growth (Ephesians 4:14-25), they begin reading the words as saying something different than what the words actually say, commonly called "confirmation bias". Those people have been tempted and lured to follow a deceiving spirit instead of The Holy Spirit, in the way that Jesus warned through John 15:3-6.

Upvote 0

Steven Wood

Not my will but Thy will be done
Jul 17, 2015
Arkansas, United States
✟18,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was raised in a devout Christian household. I believed. I prayed. I had faith. I was also very young. Later, once I had gained a more sophisticated intellect, I began to notice that what I believe did not match up with what I was seeing every day, and what I knew of human history (horrible and disgusting).

Everyone seems to agree on the premise that God loves us, and desires to be with us forever. But in order to be with him, you have to go through a pass/fail test called life. Consider all the people throughout history who have lived and died. It’s a number that completely dwarfs the number of people alive at present, more on that later. Now consider how many of those people likely passed the test. Keep in mind that God murdered entire cities for doing so poorly on the test he didn’t even wait until they died to send them to forever-hell (not just non-existence like the time before birth, but eternal punishment for a finite life). I think it’s safe to say the vast majority of people who have lived and died here did NOT pass the test for one reason or another. After all, it’s easier for a camel to fit through the eye of a needle etc etc…

Setting that aside for a moment, consider the fact that the majority of people alive at the moment are not Christians. God must be very disappointed (again…more) because Christianity, while being a major world religion, is totally eclipsed by the other major religions, population-wise. That isn’t even counting the atheists and the I’m-not-sures. So, God doesn’t get what he wants? Why? Because free-will is more important? Seriously, God’s success rate looks very, very low – like an idea that appears good in theory but fails in execution. He even had to drown ALL of us at one point because things were going so badly. This is the etch-a-sketch version of creation. This is the absent watch-maker which, sadly, makes more sense to me every day. People say they have experienced the hand of God in their lives, but all I see is coincidence. It’s a thing, guys. It happens.

Free-will obviously existed before we did, if the Bible is to be believed. God already created a cadre of angels, seemingly on a ranking system since Lucifer was the main dude in charge. But Lucifer, having intimate knowledge of God’s omniscience and power, figured he could challenge God and win? Wait, what? Was he stupid? How am I supposed to believe that? And to make matters worse, ONE THIRD of God’s soldiers followed Lucifer? So even within God’s own angels he has a failing grade: 66.6% is an F+. If God is so awesome (in the real context of that word) why would his creations rebel? Because free-will? That makes NO sense to me. I would happily give up free will to get out of this place (earth).

To sum up: God created lots of angels, then 33% of them left, figuring they could beat God. Then God created an unthinkable number of human beings for the specific purpose of populating hell forever, as punishment for their finite lives. He knew what he was doing and what would happen. This constitutes the vast majority of the entire human race, living and dead, which really looks like failure (or, at the very least not love) to me. And lastly, our only guide comes in the form of an ancient book, written by ancient people in antiquated languages (classical Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek) which have NO PUNCTUATION, VERB TENSE OR EVEN SPACES BETWEEN WORDS. In Greek, you can’t tell the difference between

God is now here

And

God is nowhere

Because what you're looking at is Godisnowhere. Or maybe it's "God I Snow Here". You don't know.

There’s a reason why “It’s all Greek to me” is an expression. The result: A crazy long book we have no hope of understanding unless we are fluent in classical Hebrew, ancient Aramaic and Greek, and can time-travel in order to understand the social context of all these documents when they were written. The book is so vague and open to misinterpretation it seems unlikely anyone can decipher its original meaning. That’s probably why there’s 150 different flavors of Christianity. And furthermore, within this document, he calls us sheep. I don’t know if you’ve ever been around sheep, but they are the dumbest things ever to walk the earth. Astoundingly stupid. How could us sheep ever decipher the Bible in any meaningful way? If God is Love, I don’t feel it, I don’t see it, and believe me, I’m looking.

I really want to believe like I did before, but too many things just make no sense to me. Baaaaaaa.
It honestly sounds like you are looking for an argument. Not necessarily to prove you wrong or help you find lost faith, but to try to prove that The people that believe in God and hold the Bible true are the stupid sheep that you truly think God likens us to. I can say that if you truly have all of these doubts, Not only did you really have no idea who God is, but what you call faith was a completely blind following and that's most likely why lost it so easily. As I know that this is not the place to have a long winded debate or argument, I invite you to pm me and I assure you that if you have a lick of common sense or any open mindedness which you claim to have, most of your elementary questions will be answered and the opinions that lack wisdom and insight will be addressed. To address one thing here though, I have terrible punctuation. But any fairly intelligent person can read what i write and understand it. It's just the trolls looking to insult and fight that like to make a big deal of it. Or maybe those people are just that stupid and lack common sense.

Upvote 0