Can one demon fraudulently cast out another demon?

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,663.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Luke 11:
14 Now he was casting out a demon that was mute. When the demon had gone out, the mute man spoke, and the people marveled. 15 But some of them said, “He casts out demons by Beelzebul, the prince of demons,”
According to some, it was possible for one demon to fraudulently cast out another demon.
17 But he, knowing their thoughts, said to them, “Every kingdom divided against itself is laid waste, and a divided household falls. 18 And if Satan also is divided against himself, how will his kingdom stand? For you say that I cast out demons by Beelzebul. 19 And if I cast out demons by Beelzebul, by whom do your sons cast them out? Therefore they will be your judges.
What was Jesus' logic here? Was Jesus saying that it was impossible for one demon to cast out another demon?

No, I don't think so. Indeed, it was possible for one demon to cast out another demon for short-term gain. Jesus had been casting out demons (plural) many times. Satan could not have been employing Jesus because doing so would destroy Satan's evil kingdom in the long run. Jesus' argument was not based on just one incident of casting out demons but based on Jesus' long-term character.

20 But if it is by the finger of God that I cast out demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you. 21 When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe; 22but when one stronger than he attacks him and overcomes him, he takes away his armor in which he trusted and divides his spoil. 23 Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.
If you accuse me of casting out demons by Beelzebul, then whose side are you on? That's the more important question.

Jesus warned them in Matthew 7:
22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’
One could even fraudulently cast out demons in Jesus' name! The question is this: When you do, are you on Jesus' side? Do you belong to Christ? Are you acting on his behalf or just paying him lip service?

Paul expressed a similar sentiment in 2 Corinthians 11:
14b no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. 15 So it is no surprise if his servants, also, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness.
Satan can use demons to perform deceptively righteous works here and there but not in the long run consistently. If he did, it would be self-destructive for him.

Dosblade

Aug 5, 2013
✟20,354.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Satan can use demons to perform deceptively righteous works here and there but not in the long run consistently. If he did, it would be self-destructive for him."

Did we read the original text in Greek? No where does it say Satan can "do" righteous works here and there. That is a false statement. You do not understand who he is what he can and can not do.

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,663.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Satan can use demons to perform deceptively righteous works here and there but not in the long run consistently. If he did, it would be self-destructive for him."

Did we read the original text in Greek? No where does it say Satan can "do" righteous works here and there. That is a false statement. You do not understand who he is what he can and can not do.
Satan can use demons to perform deceptively righteous works here and there.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You can get on YouTube at this very moment and witness fake exorcisms. Stuff happens all the time by people who want to make themselves seem more spiritual and connected than they really are. Now I do not believe for a second that it's the devil doing it. The only true casting out can be done by the Holy Spirit. Jesus said unless a stronger man enter the house... People will fake all manner of spiritual activity to gain a following for themselves, but that is the flesh manifesting itself.

Scripture does state that in the end there will be many fake signs and wonders that will be so convincing that even the elect would be tempted to believe in them, but they won't. I would hesitate to say that the casting out of actual demons will be included in that number. Again, fake signs and fake wonders, convincing enough to be believed but not legitimate.

• Useful
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,373.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Think that's the main reason believers need to be able to discern whether It's from God or not.

Signs and wonders are in Exo 7-12 before Pharoah. The sorcerers and magicians did some of the same signs as Moses and Aaron. View this an example of tonychanyt's post - they were deceptive. The difference is when Moses and Aaron did signs it was because God instructed them to do so.

Jesus, while on earth, said look at the signs and wonders "If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not. But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in Him." (John 10:37-38)

Seen some disturbing exorcisms televised. Understand why some believers view all signs and wonders as ungodly. But instead of going by what we think, we can have discerning of spirits which are by His Spirit (I Cor 12:10)

ByTheSpirit post of Matt 24:24 shows they play a vital part. For there to be false signs and wonders, there will be genuine Godly ones.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EverydayBread

Aug 9, 2021
Uusimaa
✟30,755.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I ran across this one, and I thought it would have a lot of wisdom on this topic.

Mark 9:38-42
38 Now John answered Him, saying, "Teacher, we saw someone who does not follow us casting out demons in Your name, and we forbade him because he does not follow us."
39 But Jesus said, "Do not forbid him, for no one who works a miracle in My name can soon afterward speak evil of Me.
40 For he who is not against us is on our side.
41 For whoever gives you a cup of water to drink in My name, because you belong to Christ, assuredly, I say to you, he will by no means lose his reward.
42 But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were thrown into the sea.

For some reason the "he who is not against us is on our side" really stuck with me. How is this possible?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,663.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian