Little Rock, AR
✟153.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I hope so. I'm conservative and have been a Methodist for over 20 years. I taught an adult Sunday School class for several years and a number of the participants were definitely in the Democratic camp. Didn't cause any problems.-- in fact, we had a great time.

I am, however, what George Will described as a compassionate conservative.

-T

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ClementofRome

Spelunking the most ancient caves of Xianity
May 27, 2004
✟5,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have a problem with the label "conservative." "Conservative" in what? Politically conservative? Theologically conservative? Socially conservative? Economically conservative? When you ask about conservative, do you mean that for someone to be conservative one must be conservative in all of those areas and others?

I am a member of the UMC. I am shockingly conservative on some issues and probably shockingly less than conservative in other areas (I refuse to use the term "liberal" because it is a perfectly good and useful term that has been highjacked from academia and misapplied to politics and religion).

Now we need to be more specific if we are going to label. :) Who wants to go first?

Upvote 0
C

catlover

I answered "mostly conservative" thinking the question was asking about social issues.

I understand, but I can relate to your post, because I can't call myself a hardcore conservative.

Now we need to be more specific if we are going to label. Who wants to go first?
I can name people Far right, Ann Coultier, Rush Limbaugh. Far Left Bill Maur (sp) the host of politically incorrect. Patricia Ireland director of N.O.W.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟962,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have always preferred the term "traditional" Christian as opposed to "conservative" Christian. But, I suspect that reflects a definite bias.

I have also always had problems with the term "progressive" Christian. I don't understand where is the "progress" among the "progressives."

seeking.IAM
<><

Upvote 0

alaurie

Welcome, Preston!!!
Feb 21, 2004
✟11,556.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
catlover said:
I understand, but I can relate to your post, because I can't call myself a hardcore conservative.

I checked your profile ...dunno where you live? I'm smack dab in the middle of the Bible Belt and am definitely not as socially conservative as many of my neighbors. Most of the rest of the world would label me very conservative, though.

Upvote 0

Ric

1 John 5:13
Feb 6, 2002
Orlando, Florida
Visit site
✟9,815.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.