hopeforhappiness

Jan 24, 2016
united kingdom
✟14,857.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This was the first week of Lent at my local methodist church. It seems that the work of Christ in atonement and salvation has almost completely given way to calls for social justice activism.
SJ hymns like "In an Age of Twisted Values" (which we sang) just make me very uncomfortable indeed. Where is the cost to God the Father in giving up His Son, who took on Himself the sin of mankind? Are our leaders embarrassed by religion, by the supernatural? We are told we are ALL on a journey, implying there is no point of finally giving in and acknowledging that we are sinners, deserving of eternal separation from a good, but Holy God and needing the indwelling Christ? Nor can it be said that the people know these truths but just need to be moved to good deeds. One lady said she never understood who the Holy Spirt is after years of attending.
I am very exercised. My wife and I feel very isolated theologically although we have made friends, but who just seem to go along with whatever is offered to them on a Sunday.

jas3

Jan 21, 2023
Southeast
✟23,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I felt the same when I was attending my last UMC church. The pastor increasingly started talking about how we need to "love the person in front of us" hinting that that meant embracing the ordination of people in disordered relationships and even began outright calling for the removal of the part of the Book of Discipline that bars them from ordination. And I was just as shocked as you when in one small group study I was a part of, nobody else in the group had heard that the Holy Spirit is a Person of the Trinity, instead of a poetic way to refer to God's will or activity.
Have you looked into the Global Methodists or one of the other Methodist denominations?

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
This was the first week of Lent at my local methodist church. It seems that the work of Christ in atonement and salvation has almost completely given way to calls for social justice activism.
SJ hymns like "In an Age of Twisted Values" (which we sang) just make me very uncomfortable indeed. Where is the cost to God the Father in giving up His Son, who took on Himself the sin of mankind? Are our leaders embarrassed by religion, by the supernatural? We are told we are ALL on a journey, implying there is no point of finally giving in and acknowledging that we are sinners, deserving of eternal separation from a good, but Holy God and needing the indwelling Christ? Nor can it be said that the people know these truths but just need to be moved to good deeds. One lady said she never understood who the Holy Spirt is after years of attending.
I am very exercised. My wife and I feel very isolated theologically although we have made friends, but who just seem to go along with whatever is offered to them on a Sunday.
The local Uniting (formerly Methodist) church has a large sign, "Justice for refugees" on the side. Even if every "refugee" was given a million dollars and allowed to settle in this country, the kingdom of God would still not be advanced one iota. It's a good thing that the Wesley brothers are oblivious to all this. It would break their hearts to see what they worked and suffered for so trivialised and so corrupted by the world system.

• Agree
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Joseph G

Saved by the grace of Jesus Christ
Dec 22, 2023
Austin
✟26,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This isn't surprising to me. I grew up in the UMC and all I remember is a brief "reading of the word", slamming it shut, and preaching a sermon worthy of an Ann Landers column.

It wasn't till years later, after genuinely accepting Christ (amazingly outside of church), that I bought a study Bible and learned about the Holy Spirit and the nature of sin, the deception of worldliness, ect. that should have been taught in the UMC. I confess that I felt some bitterness that they felt so little concern for their flock's eternal security.

Upvote 0

Pioneer3mm

Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
North America
✟551,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Methodism started..as the 'Revival Movement' in England..
- during the 18th century.
- John Wesley, George Whitfield..
--
'The original vision, commitment & fervor' were lost..
- many years ago.
--
I was involved in UMC..
- 1970's.
--
*Many agencies promoting Christian work (including social reform)
started..as a result of the 18th century Revival in England.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hopeforhappiness

Jan 24, 2016
united kingdom
✟14,857.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The local Uniting (formerly Methodist) church has a large sign, "Justice for refugees" on the side. Even if every "refugee" was given a million dollars and allowed to settle in this country, the kingdom of God would still not be advanced one iota. It's a good thing that the Wesley brothers are oblivious to all this. It would break their hearts to see what they worked and suffered for so trivialised and so corrupted by the world system.
And yet, the hierarchy has posited that the Methodism is "going back to its roots". Oh yeah? When there is no call to repentance, when God's only character is one of love, that Christ's death means nothing more than an accident.

Upvote 0

hopeforhappiness

Jan 24, 2016
united kingdom
✟14,857.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And yet, the hierarchy has posited that the Methodism is "going back to its roots". Oh yeah? When there is no call to repentance, when God's only character is one of love, that Christ's death means nothing more than an accident.
This is what they want Methodism to be...

In an age of twisted values
we have lost the truth we need;
in sophisticated language
we have justified our greed;
by our struggle for possessions
we have robbed the poor and weak –
hear our cry and heal our nation:
your forgiveness, Lord, we seek.

2. We have built discrimination
on our prejudice and fear;
hatred swiftly turns to cruelty
if we hold resentments dear.
For communities divided
by the walls of class and race
hear our cry and heal our nation:
show us, Lord, your love and grace.

3. When our families are broken;
when our homes are full of strife;
when our children are bewildered,
when they lose their way in life;
when we fail to give the aged
all the care we know we should –
hear our cry and heal our nation
with your tender fatherhood.

4. We who hear your word so often
choose so rarely to obey;
turn us from our wilful blindness,
give us truth to light our way.
In the power of your Spirit
come to cleanse us, make us new:
hear our cry and heal our nation
till our nation honours you.

The wonder and glory and sacrifice of Christ is nowhere.

• Agree
Reactions: Aussie Pete
Upvote 0

hopeforhappiness

Jan 24, 2016
united kingdom
✟14,857.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Are you looking for another Wesleyan denomination like the Church of the Nazarene?
Well, we moved to a village and we really wanted not to have to travel. I said to my wife that I would have preferred to go to the Anglican church. After all, there is a liturgy which is used that is at least historically orthodox. But to do that now would be very awkward. The two leaders have a close relationship.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Well, we moved to a village and we really wanted not to have to travel. I said to my wife that I would have preferred to go to the Anglican church. After all, there is a liturgy which is used that is at least historically orthodox. But to do that now would be very awkward. The two leaders have a close relationship.
I would talk with the Anglican priest then and see where you fall theologically and liturgically. Methodism started from Anglicanism.

Blessings

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Wesley's Christianity was indeed practical, but certainly not the social justice do-goodism that too many churches subscribe to these days. The local Sikhs have a food van for the homeless. Not wrong, but hardly Christian. Many "Christians" think that Jesus was a good example to follow - as long as you don't mention sin, salvation and the Kingdom of God. I call it "Christianism". The Bible says that they have a form of godliness but deny its power. It is incredibly deceptive. The followers of this philosophy are deceived and end up deceiving others.

Upvote 0