Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
as for the 2nd question, quite simply, i dont feel bad about certain sins i do.
I admire the honesty. Most people wouldn't say what you did here even if it applied. But maybe it's time to ask why you don't feel bad about "certain sins" (you do). Why don't you feel that they were wrong? What sins are you referring to? Is this the main stumbling block you are dealing with (as opposed to belief in Christ, etc.)?

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟963,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This dialogue begs the question, does repentance require remorse, (or perhaps, how much remorse does it require)? Or does repentance merely require change? As an adolescent exploring the world, I remember telling my dad, a clergyman, that he had an uphill battle because some sin was pretty fun. To my surprise, that didn't get the kind of reaction I suspected, but more one of agreement, as I recall.

I confess that at times in my life I have thought that if I was the omniscient, omnipotent Creator of the Universe, I might have permitted some things now forbidden. Goodness knows, some I might have even made a sacrament (God, forgive me). But be that as it may, I think the first step of discipleship is obedience, not remorse. Obedience even to things we do not understand, agree with, or feel remorseful about. Obedience for no other reason than because that is what He told us we are supposed to do.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In principle, I agree to most of that, but it remains the case that we, the readers, just do not have enough information at this point from which to offer our friend an unequivocal answer. Or so it seems from here.

I thought that a talk with the pastor would put to rest some mistaken ideas about faith, repentance, and all of that, but the more recent posts make me think that's only a possibility.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Wow, you completely missed the whole point of what i was saying. What i am saying is that you seem to believe in what some call easy believism. Simply believing in Jesus isnt going to save anyone. James tells us this. Even demons believe in Jesus. So why arent they saved?? Why didnt judas get saved?? No repentance. Without repentance, you CANNOT be saved.

No, I fully understand what you were saying.

I don't believe in "easy believism". I believe in Jesus. And I believe in Jesus' love for you. I am trying to get it through to you that you aren't somehow a worse sinner than any of the rest of us.

You are the only person who is stopping you from enjoying the forgiveness that is already yours in Jesus Christ.

And if flicking you on the forehead and telling you that this is silly, and to just trust Jesus may help, then that's what I'm going to do.

As I said, you aren't going to win against God's love for you. His love is way too big, and you are--like it or not--included in His love.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0