Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Merlin said:
Can money ever buy happiness?
It has for me.
How about you?

The happiness is rather temporary when it is bought, though I do admit it is happiness; whenever I feel sad I do go on buying sprees and I do, indeed, think of it as thereaupeutic.

But the problems still exist, and my feelings of happiness are more about an accomplishment than the money; usually I spend my money on my record collection, so in reality it is not my money buying me happiness, but the sound of music that is giving me the happiness.

So sometimes we can have a gray area of whether we are or aren't buying happiness.

Upvote 0

Patzak

Sep 9, 2005
✟15,722.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
No. Money buys stuff which might or might not make you somewhat happy (in my case it isn't so much happiness as just fulfillment of a need/craving, it might be different for you). Shopping sprees can make you happy in the same way drinking coffee in the morning or gambling away your fortune can. It might be exhilerating and enjoyable but I would hardly call that happiness.

I would tend to somewhat agree that at least in the western world money does seem to be kind of a prerogative for happiness - it doesn't make you happy directly but you're more likely to be unhappy if you don't have it. This is hardly universal however, as the people from poor African countries consistently describe themselves as happier than us.

Upvote 0

Abbadon

Self Bias Resistor - goin' commando in a cassock!
Jan 26, 2005
Bible belt, unfortunatly
✟22,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's more of a distraction from the current sadness you feel, really. It may actually be happiness, but it's only temporary.

"Money doesn't buy happiness" should really be said "Money doesn't by permanent happiness, or guarenteed happiness".

Upvote 0

myquestions

Aug 10, 2005
✟15,459.00
Faith
Christian
i think money makes ppl happy to buy the things they like. like i love shopping and that is material i knoe it's bad, but it makes me happy none the less.

but i feel good beucas ei deserve the thing si buy blothes and stuf because i work for it, and it isn't causing me anyharm. if i dind't work for the money maybe i wont be that happy because i'll feel guilt maybe. shurgs but i am not in that position to say anything because that isn't me.

those that are less material, i guess money wont make them happy. maybe bush walking or relationships make them more happier.

both makes me happy. there is different ways to find happiness for each person i think
hope that helps

Upvote 0

Mandevar

Nov 1, 2005
✟8,068.00
Faith
Humanist
I definitly think money can buy happiness. Seeing another person happy makes me happy. Knowing everyone in the world is guaranteed equal rights would make me happy. Knowing every person in the world is well nourished, loved, and provided a decent education would make me happy. Money can solve all these problems, unfortuantely there are rather selfish individuals and even entire countries that care very little about international problems.

I Just heard (think it was) Usher bought a $75,000 dollar watch. Think of all the celebrities or super rich people (who make purchases of A LOT more than 75k) in the world who choose to spend money on material items rather than another person's well being.

This is how I believe money can buy happiness, of course it indirectly "purchases" it, but happiness can be obtained through money. But yeah, just my opinion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Adela

Senior Veteran
Oct 29, 2005
Georgia
✟2,695.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Of course it can. It can also cause destruction. I know I'd be a lot happier if I had more money. But not because I want to buy a $ watch or anything. It would bring me happiness because it would bring me more security, I could help people around me in need, I wouldn't have debt from student loans...I could go on all day about what kind of happiness money could bring me.

However, I would never choose the lifestyle of being rich and spoiled. I'd take being poor any day over being a snotty rich girl.

Upvote 0

Merlin

Paradigm Buster
Sep 29, 2005
Avalon Island
✟17,437.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Of course money has bought me happiness.

Go to a 'foodbank'
Hand a 100 dollar bill to people as they leave.
Watch their face.
Yes, it buys me happiness.

Find a family in need.
Bring them some toys this Christmas.

Find a widow
Bring her a Chistmas gift or dinner.

You must have money to share it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Soul Searcher

The kingdom is within
Apr 27, 2005
West Virginia
✟39,544.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Adela said:
Everyone I've ever heard say that money can't buy happiness has never been really poor.
I guess it is true then that there is a first time for everything. Having been really poor as a child and into my adult life and having said a couple of posts back that money can not buy happiness you have heard it now :)

Upvote 0