Can I reduce my tithe to buy back my engagement ring?

puddleoffaith

Veteran
Dec 18, 2007
✟11,002.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
1 Corinthians 16:2 tells us “On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income.” This means that we should give regularly. It does not say that Christians must tithe. The matter of your giving is between you and God, and He always takes into account our circumstances. The important thing is that we must see giving as being a privilege and not a burden. It should not be out of a sense of duty, but rather out of love for the Lord.

Yes, I agree with this. I probably shouldn't have called it our tithe but our offering. I don't normally see it as a burden, but because of this ring situation, I fear that I will. So by redirecting the funds to the ring for a short period, I can resume giving happily afterwards. I don't want to give grudgingly while paying for the ring. I would not normally feel this way and for any item under $1000 I would not care. This is the only item we own besides the car (which has proper insurance) that is over that amount anyways so I wouldn't do it for anything else.

Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

FatalHeart

Wisdom's Associate
Jan 23, 2013
The pulsating core of the interwebs
✟20,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't actually believe in most churches and think that the money spent there isn't really where it should go. It tells you to bring it to the Lord or God's house and I don't really find that many churches that really are God's house. But if your resources are going to the less fortunate, shared among believers having hard times, remembering the poor, or are being used to provide chances to minister and build godly relationships, I'm sure you'll find yourself not only less involved with the physical nature of things, but giving much more to God than you would tithing each Sunday.

God has made it so that those who minister should be compensated, but if you don't believe in your church, I wouldn't be giving to them. However, if you do believe in your church, you're also semi-responsible to support them in keeping with the work you know they are doing for Christ. There are special times for specific amounts, but God loves a cheerful giver. And the one who sows sparingly will reap sparingly. "The one who knows the good they ought to do, and doesn't do it, sins." But false guilt is a real thing and the conscience itself needs to be brought into servitude to God, as even the conscience can be an idol.

I would also say, although I don't believe that this is the current lesson God is teaching you, it is worth mentioning that at the end of life, Christ is all that matters. There are plenty of things in this life you were called to love, but the time has always been short and it has always been true that only God matters. The more mature you grow in Christ, the more disconnected from the trouble of this world you will become, and it's interesting how often we look back and wish we would have been better people. Be the person you will have wanted to be, standing before God with a life sold out to Him. There will be no regret for it and great glory.

Upvote 0

puddleoffaith

Veteran
Dec 18, 2007
✟11,002.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
God isn't helping you out right now? Maybe God isn't so concerned over the ring? We are not in a relationship with Christ so he will help us with worldly matters but to serve and live for him. You could reduce your giving to get a new ring, sure, but maybe you are too attached to it? If you get a cheaper ring instead, what you do then is giving up something for God, I think this is the true meaning of a fast, a fast of the heart.

If they didn't still make the exact same ring, I wouldn't replace it at all since it wouldn't be the same. So I don't want to get a cheaper ring, even if it were a better ring. I have given a lot up to God. I gave up major career aspirations in the past, lots of money, my choice of husband. I ended up with lots of savings and the best husband and a career that I am mostly happy with so I probably should trust God with this too. I am just currently feeling very defeated because of the events of this summer, especially the health issue which I can't buy my way out of.

Upvote 0

puddleoffaith

Veteran
Dec 18, 2007
✟11,002.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The Church, unlike a national government or the theocratic Judah/Israeli government under Moses, only needs a tithe of about 2% to be maintained or run, ie the Church does not need a tithe or tax of about 10%.

God often chastens His sons/daughters for their sins/evil-deeds/law-breaking.(HEBREWS.12) Please check which non-burdensome laws of God you may have broken as per ACTS.15:24-29.

The Story of Job is not about God purposely giving calamities/challenges to His sons/daughters, just to test their faith. Job had ignorantly sinned by making a vile offering to God, in order to "insure" against his sons' sins/evil-deeds.(JOB.1:5 & 3:25)
....... Christians buying non-mandatory insurance shows a lack of faith in God/Jesus Christ - cf; DEUT.28, ROMANS.2:5-10. In general, Christians have nothing to fear if they are walking(or being led by) in the Spirit (of God) to keep the laws of God.(HEB.8:10, GALATIANS.5:16-26) Similarly, law-abiding citizens do not need to fear the police.

Thanks, I will take a look into these verses. Especially since I was planning to get extra insurance to insure the new ring. Our contents insurance was mandatory to live in our building.

Upvote 0

puddleoffaith

Veteran
Dec 18, 2007
✟11,002.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
1 Corinthians 16:2 tells us “On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income.” This means that we should give regularly. It does not say that Christians must tithe. The matter of your giving is between you and God, and He always takes into account our circumstances. The important thing is that we must see giving as being a privilege and not a burden. It should not be out of a sense of duty, but rather out of love for the Lord.

Thanks! I think because of the ring I am seeing it as a sense of duty rather than giving cheerfully. However, once the ring is paid for, I know I could give cheerfully again. But I think I need God to work in my heart so that I can reprchase the ring and give cheerfully. I mean, He gave us the means to give and also pay for the ring so maybe that's where I should start thinking about this.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If they didn't still make the exact same ring, I wouldn't replace it at all since it wouldn't be the same. So I don't want to get a cheaper ring, even if it were a better ring. I have given a lot up to God. I gave up major career aspirations in the past, lots of money, my choice of husband. I ended up with lots of savings and the best husband and a career that I am mostly happy with so I probably should trust God with this too. I am just currently feeling very defeated because of the events of this summer, especially the health issue which I can't buy my way out of.
A rock set in precious metal is not a very good investment. The first one you owned resulted in total loss. The status of things like your marriage, your health, etc. are more important. There are some pretty rings that are not expensive. A ring is not the same as money in the bank. The jeweler will only pay pennies on the dollar for rings. The pawn shop will not show mercy. Some women only wear wedding bands.

Upvote 0

puddleoffaith

Veteran
Dec 18, 2007
✟11,002.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I don't actually believe in most churches and think that the money spent there isn't really where it should go. It tells you to bring it to the Lord or God's house and I don't really find that many churches that really are God's house. But if your resources are going to the less fortunate, shared among believers having hard times, remembering the poor, or are being used to provide chances to minister and build godly relationships, I'm sure you'll find yourself not only less involved with the physical nature of things, but giving much more to God than you would tithing each Sunday.

God has made it so that those who minister should be compensated, but if you don't believe in your church, I wouldn't be giving to them. However, if you do believe in your church, you're also semi-responsible to support them in keeping with the work you know they are doing for Christ. There are special times for specific amounts, but God loves a cheerful giver. And the one who sows sparingly will reap sparingly. "The one who knows the good they ought to do, and doesn't do it, sins." But false guilt is a real thing and the conscience itself needs to be brought into servitude to God, as even the conscience can be an idol.

I would also say, although I don't believe that this is the current lesson God is teaching you, it is worth mentioning that at the end of life, Christ is all that matters. There are plenty of things in this life you were called to love, but the time has always been short and it has always been true that only God matters. The more mature you grow in Christ, the more disconnected from the trouble of this world you will become, and it's interesting how often we look back and wish we would have been better people. Be the person you will have wanted to be, standing before God with a life sold out to Him. There will be no regret for it and great glory.

I think you are right. I have been meditating on the fact that you can't take anything with you (I went to a funeral last week so that makes it easier), but I know that ring would have given me joy throughout my life and I would want to be buried with it one day.

My conscience is giving me guiltover considering this as a solution, but maybe it's false guilt? Or maybe I am supposed to be giving to God and replacing the ring (or not replacing the ring but I don't think I could bear that and we can afford to). I do believe in our church and we live in a city with many lost and it's such a central church that is growing and reaching so many people. We also give to missionaries that we know personally and street ministries. The money that we stop giving would probably be that going to the church though.

Upvote 0

puddleoffaith

Veteran
Dec 18, 2007
✟11,002.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
A rock set in precious metal is not a very good investment. The first one you owned resulted in total loss. The status of things like your marriage, your health, etc. are more important. There are some pretty rings that are not expensive. A ring is not the same as money in the bank. The jeweler will only pay pennies on the dollar for rings. The pawn shop will not show mercy. Some women only wear wedding bands.

I know they are worth so little after you buy them and I know they are a poor investment. But this ring brought me so much joy and gave me comfort whenever my husband had to be away for work, as he currently is and that's making this harder. I don't care about the monetary value or the ring as an investment-I would never dream of pawning it or reselling it anyays.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No, I am actually leaning away from taking it from our giving. I am thinking I can take on an extra contract in January once my current extra contract end. It just really sucks to think about because I was looking forward to not having to work so much. Or perhaps taking it out of savings which my husband is probably leaning towards. Our offering to the church is one of the only 'optional' expenses in our budget so it seemed like something I could cut back on, but I also don't want to take away from any blessings God might have in store for us and I want to show a steadfastness in faith through giving which can be hard. I also would not be able to tell this to any of our christian friends because I know they would disagree with us taking from our offering to buy a diamond and this would take away from our fellowship with other believers.
have you considered a third option.... not buying the diamond? or a fourth option work hard and get the extra money, then give the money away. Jesus calls us to a life of self denial where we take our crosses up daily. go ahead take from your regular givings, why not 100% then you can get it quicker but we need to consider that our actions should return glory to God. God's blessing to you has eternal reward and there are those who suffer greatly while on earth despite their faith in Christ; his promise to us is of heavenly gain not earthly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In truth, you know you are only wanting to replace it (because you can never really do that) to somehow satisfy yourself you are impressing the rest of the world. You are really doing it for how others will react to it and you. This really has nothing to do with a thing called "tithe."

If it is that important, you know there are any number of things you can sell to get the money. Shoot, you say you already have it sitting in the bank. This really goes back to what Sabertooth said in Post # 2.

Upvote 0

puddleoffaith

Veteran
Dec 18, 2007
✟11,002.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
have you considered a third option.... not buying the diamond? or a fourth option work hard and get the extra money, then give the money away. Jesus calls us to a life of self denial where we take our crosses up daily. go ahead take from your regular givings, why not 100% then you can get it quicker but we need to consider that our actions should return glory to God. God's blessing to you has eternal reward and there are those who suffer greatly while on earth despite their faith in Christ; his promise to us is of heavenly gain not earthly.

I considered not buying the diamond at all but it's honestly the only thing I would go out of my way to repurchase if lost (except my wedding band and laptop because I need it for work). I just can't see going through the rest of my life without it. I would rather have this diamond than nice furniture or clothes. It's a symbol of my husband's love for me and is such a comfort when he is away so much working. Maybe I will feel differently in 7 more days, when I reach the 10 days I said I would wait.

It's true that many suffer greatly and I have been greatly blessed for most of my life. Even the fact that I can easily pull the money from our savings speaks greatly of God's blessings in our life and how our needs are provided for (because to me, this currently feels like a need, in a way that no other material item is my life ever has). I need to work on my gratitude.

Upvote 0

puddleoffaith

Veteran
Dec 18, 2007
✟11,002.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
In truth, you know you are only wanting to replace it (because you can never really do that) to somehow satisfy yourself you are impressing the rest of the world. You are really doing it for how others will react to it and you. This really has nothing to do with a thing called "tithe."

If it is that important, you know there are any number of things you can sell to get the money. Shoot, you say you already have it sitting in the bank. This really goes back to what Sabertooth said in Post # 2.

It's really not about impressing the rest of the world at all. I barely even wore it this summer because of all the times I went swimming or on vacation. I just looked at it in my room, examining it's beauty and thinking about my husband. I don't really care that much what others think-I don't buy expensive clothing or status items and live well below our means. I just truly loved this ring and what it represented.

I do have the money sitting in the bank plus loads more. I am being selfish.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have recently lost my engagement ring and I am devastated. I am not someone who has nice things or cares about material wealth but this was my MOST prized posession. I think it somehow ended up in the garbage and is long gone. I can't stop crying about it. We have contents insurance but our deductible is almost as high as the cost of the ring. We also have insurance on the ring from the store but it only covers damage. I really tried to have this ring insured and yet I will still end up paying almost the full cost. I am very upset with God lately because I have had a number of extreme challenges. This is the third of a series of bad events this summer-first I had a major health problem that will never fully be fixed but is managable although I suffer from pain, second I had a major career problem that made me so stressed that I couldn't even sleep for a week and is not really fully resolved, and now this.

The only difference between this problem and the other problems is that at the moment, the ring store still sells my ring (although it's on clearance and will likely be gone soon) so I could fix the problem by buying new one. I have been praying about all of these problems and nothing has really been fully resolved and I am upset with God. I also don't want to pay out $2000 for a new ring. I am wondering if I can reduce my tithe to pay for the ring because God just isn't helping me out right now and I could use the money to repurchase the ring. I would need to reduce my tithe by about almost 50% for almost a year to buy my ring back.
Tithing is Mosaic Covenant as a national Israeli tax and is not part of the New Covenant. Arguments of examples of Old Testament saints tithing before Moses are not obligatory offerings, but one time voluntary gifts of gratitude. God loves a cheerful giver, not givers of obligation.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I'm sorry to hear that. I first thought that it would be impossible to find the same ring I lost and was heartbroken but would not have purchased a different ring. But then when I saw that the same one was for sale 5 years later, I just know that it would completely fill the place in my heart the other one had (I did replace my most prized childhood toy once because I saw it for $10, and I never remember or care that it's not the original. I keep it on display in my living room.).

That is so cool about the toy. I did the same thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

I absolutely do not agree that she wants to impress the world. The "world" seldom looks at a person's wedding ring.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have recently lost my engagement ring and I am devastated. I am not someone who has nice things or cares about material wealth but this was my MOST prized posession. I think it somehow ended up in the garbage and is long gone. I can't stop crying about it. We have contents insurance but our deductible is almost as high as the cost of the ring. We also have insurance on the ring from the store but it only covers damage. I really tried to have this ring insured and yet I will still end up paying almost the full cost. I am very upset with God lately because I have had a number of extreme challenges. This is the third of a series of bad events this summer-first I had a major health problem that will never fully be fixed but is managable although I suffer from pain, second I had a major career problem that made me so stressed that I couldn't even sleep for a week and is not really fully resolved, and now this.

The only difference between this problem and the other problems is that at the moment, the ring store still sells my ring (although it's on clearance and will likely be gone soon) so I could fix the problem by buying new one. I have been praying about all of these problems and nothing has really been fully resolved and I am upset with God. I also don't want to pay out $2000 for a new ring. I am wondering if I can reduce my tithe to pay for the ring because God just isn't helping me out right now and I could use the money to repurchase the ring. I would need to reduce my tithe by about almost 50% for almost a year to buy my ring back.
It would be unwise to take from the Lord (however True or misguided this notion is) and keep it for yourself. This is what the Priest were doing in Malachi..... Shall a man rob God?
If you want to convince yourself it is ok.....look what happened to Ananias....He didnt given all he said he gave and thought he should give....then he lied to the holy spirit about it......he withheld some of what he said he gave.....didnt work out well for him.

If you believe that you are to tithe 10% of your money.... you should continue at all costs.

• Agree
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have searched the area where it is thoroughly and I think the only explanation is it fell into a pop can or something near my bedside table and I accidentally threw it out, or the cat I looked after for a friend ate it or hid it. I really feel like God is saying to wait 10 days. I'm not sure why and I am not someone who normally hears much from God at all. I am not sure if this means I will feel differently about it in 10 days, or if I will find it.

So now that you feel God wants you to wait 10 days.....are you going to wait 5 instead....and use the other 5 for yourself? This is the same thing you are considering for the tithes as well correct?

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟887,266.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I understand, it's not that I was trying to jugde you. I too got some things that I'm emotional attached to. I was trying to inspire you to turn this into an opportunity to serve God. I won't blame you if you get that new ring, I'm very sorry for your loss of the old one. I don't believe there is a command of tithing for Christians, but we are to live with a generous heart, financially and practically. I have also struggled with some health issues, I know of the burden not being healthy. God bless you, and may God lead you to the right decision.

Christ love,
P

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Because then my spending for the year would stay the same. In my mind, it makes it so that I didn't actually lose anything because lots of people only give 5% to the offering anyways and I was planning to give 10ish but now only giving 5.
You're speaking in terms of your money in, your money out. Giving is more than that. I give what I give because I believe in what my church is doing, both in terms of our worship service and teaching, and in terms of how it helps people in the community. I spent a long, uncomfortable stretch being unemployed, and I am thankful to God that I have work now and the percentage I give can help the next person in need. That's the heart of giving, and where your heart should be. The percentage is secondary to that. Personally, I'm failing to see how getting a similar ring to your engagement ring that isn't your engagement ring and cutting your offering in half to pay for it reflects such a heart.

Last edited:
Upvote 0