Can I reduce my tithe to buy back my engagement ring?

Runswithdogs

Mar 11, 2016
Scotland
✟76,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I have searched the area where it is thoroughly and I think the only explanation is it fell into a pop can or something near my bedside table and I accidentally threw it out, or the cat I looked after for a friend ate it or hid it. I really feel like God is saying to wait 10 days. I'm not sure why and I am not someone who normally hears much from God at all. I am not sure if this means I will feel differently about it in 10 days, or if I will find it.

If you feel God is telling you to wait, then There is probably a reason and I would suggest you do just that. And in the meantime sitting down daily and praying about it, that Gods perfect will will be done (that way if he wants you to Get your original ring back, you will and if its something else that needs to happen then you've got that covered to ) You may not know where it is but God does.
Im notorious for loosing things and ive found the best thing to do in that case is to give it to God to sort out. I have literally searched the house top to bottom for things that I couldent find (& its a small house, how the heck I can loose so much stuff in here ???) prayed and turned around to see it sitting somewhere that I know it wasent there minutes ago. :eek:

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have recently lost my engagement ring and I am devastated. I am not someone who has nice things or cares about material wealth but this was my MOST prized posession. I think it somehow ended up in the garbage and is long gone. I can't stop crying about it. We have contents insurance but our deductible is almost as high as the cost of the ring. We also have insurance on the ring from the store but it only covers damage. I really tried to have this ring insured and yet I will still end up paying almost the full cost. I am very upset with God lately because I have had a number of extreme challenges. This is the third of a series of bad events this summer-first I had a major health problem that will never fully be fixed but is managable although I suffer from pain, second I had a major career problem that made me so stressed that I couldn't even sleep for a week and is not really fully resolved, and now this.

The only difference between this problem and the other problems is that at the moment, the ring store still sells my ring (although it's on clearance and will likely be gone soon) so I could fix the problem by buying new one. I have been praying about all of these problems and nothing has really been fully resolved and I am upset with God. I also don't want to pay out $2000 for a new ring. I am wondering if I can reduce my tithe to pay for the ring because God just isn't helping me out right now and I could use the money to repurchase the ring. I would need to reduce my tithe by about almost 50% for almost a year to buy my ring back.
If a surplus of about $2000 for a year is needed this is a little less then $170 a month. Could you possibly find other things you could sacrifice other than your tithe to get this money? It's like $5 bucks a day you're looking for or $35 a week. This is easily someone's coffee money or some other indulgence.

There's a lot of stuff about tithing that is an interesting conversation but if this is how you choose to give to God it is a good thing but I don't think withdrawing this giving is going to resolve any problems and if anything it will only distance yourself further from God. Tithing is not just money so perhaps you could find a more creative way to settle your tithe like volunteering at a soup kitchen... maybe after that your perspective of a $2000 ring will also change.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Luke 12:20-21
Proverbs 28:22
Matthew 6:19-24

Hi, I am sorry that you lost your ring and hope that you find it or get a replacement soon. (Wonder if it is down in your sofa?) I had a ring get stuck under the skirting board in my bedroom.

On to the subject of tithing. I think it would be wrong to pay for a replacement out of your tithe. However, if you begrudge paying it you tithe is not given freely. I am thinking of Jesus words about treasures on Earth. Where moth will destroy.

It also makes me think of idolatry. Loving jewellery more than the Lord. You might not like that said and feel that it isn't the case but think back to the days when you would give with joy. You would be giving with gratitude for all he has given us. Hoping that the money would be used in furthering his kingdom as well as for paying towards the church upkeep and staff of the church.

I would rather ask the Lord for wisdom. He can provide your old ring, a new ring. He sees your heart and surely will bless you when you decide to serve him from the heart and not worldly things.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark+12:41-44&version=NIV

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+21:1-4&version=NIV

(The parable of the poor widow)

• Agree
Reactions: Porpoise
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,013,756.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
People always blame God for things and when times are tough! Pathetic really.

Carry your cross with pride and in the name of Jesus. Put your trust in Him. Don't worry about material things. You can't take them with you when you pass from this world.

Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Assembly of God denomination expects tithing to their denomination. I would pray about that sort of question instead of asking us.

Someone stole both my wedding ring and engagement ring. I haven't spent my money on new ones, but I'd like to have new ones. They are way too expensive and mine were very old; I wouldn't be able to find duplicates.

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have recently lost my engagement ring and I am devastated. I am not someone who has nice things or cares about material wealth but this was my MOST prized posession. I think it somehow ended up in the garbage and is long gone. I can't stop crying about it. We have contents insurance but our deductible is almost as high as the cost of the ring. We also have insurance on the ring from the store but it only covers damage. I really tried to have this ring insured and yet I will still end up paying almost the full cost. I am very upset with God lately because I have had a number of extreme challenges. This is the third of a series of bad events this summer-first I had a major health problem that will never fully be fixed but is managable although I suffer from pain, second I had a major career problem that made me so stressed that I couldn't even sleep for a week and is not really fully resolved, and now this.

The only difference between this problem and the other problems is that at the moment, the ring store still sells my ring (although it's on clearance and will likely be gone soon) so I could fix the problem by buying new one. I have been praying about all of these problems and nothing has really been fully resolved and I am upset with God. I also don't want to pay out $2000 for a new ring. I am wondering if I can reduce my tithe to pay for the ring because God just isn't helping me out right now and I could use the money to repurchase the ring. I would need to reduce my tithe by about almost 50% for almost a year to buy my ring back.

Mark 8:36 For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul?

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟887,266.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

God isn't helping you out right now? Maybe God isn't so concerned over the ring? We are not in a relationship with Christ so he will help us with worldly matters but to serve and live for him. You could reduce your giving to get a new ring, sure, but maybe you are too attached to it? If you get a cheaper ring instead, what you do then is giving up something for God, I think this is the true meaning of a fast, a fast of the heart.

Upvote 0

discipler7

Oct 5, 2017
tog
✟42,302.00
Country
Heard Island And Mcdonald Islands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am very upset with God lately because I have had a number of extreme challenges....

I am wondering if I can reduce my tithe to pay for the ring because God just isn't helping me out right now and I could use the money to repurchase the ring. I would need to reduce my tithe by about almost 50% for almost a year to buy my ring back.
The Church, unlike a national government or the theocratic Judah/Israeli government under Moses, only needs a tithe of about 2% to be maintained or run, ie the Church does not need a tithe or tax of about 10%.

God often chastens His sons/daughters for their sins/evil-deeds/law-breaking.(HEBREWS.12) Please check which non-burdensome laws of God you may have broken as per ACTS.15:24-29.

The Story of Job is not about God purposely giving calamities/challenges to His sons/daughters, just to test their faith. Job had ignorantly sinned by making a vile offering to God, in order to "insure" against his sons' sins/evil-deeds.(JOB.1:5 & 3:25)
....... Christians buying non-mandatory insurance shows a lack of faith in God/Jesus Christ - cf; DEUT.28, ROMANS.2:5-10. In general, Christians have nothing to fear if they are walking(or being led by) in the Spirit (of God) to keep the laws of God.(HEB.8:10, GALATIANS.5:16-26) Similarly, law-abiding citizens do not need to fear the police.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

puddleoffaith

Veteran
Dec 18, 2007
✟11,002.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I don't understand why cutting out a percentage of your offering to pay for a one-time purchase would be warranted if withdrawing the amount from your savings isn't warranted. Why not make the withdrawal from your savings and keep up with the tithe?

Because then my spending for the year would stay the same. In my mind, it makes it so that I didn't actually lose anything because lots of people only give 5% to the offering anyways and I was planning to give 10ish but now only giving 5.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

puddleoffaith

Veteran
Dec 18, 2007
✟11,002.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
If you feel God is telling you to wait, then There is probably a reason and I would suggest you do just that. And in the meantime sitting down daily and praying about it, that Gods perfect will will be done (that way if he wants you to Get your original ring back, you will and if its something else that needs to happen then you've got that covered to ) You may not know where it is but God does.
Im notorious for loosing things and ive found the best thing to do in that case is to give it to God to sort out. I have literally searched the house top to bottom for things that I couldent find (& its a small house, how the heck I can loose so much stuff in here ???) prayed and turned around to see it sitting somewhere that I know it wasent there minutes ago. :eek:

Thanks, I will! I have definitely lost a different ring years ago and looked under a bookshelf several times because I remembered seeing it there. Then, the day I was supposed to move, I found it under the bookshelf where I had looked so many times befre.

Upvote 0

puddleoffaith

Veteran
Dec 18, 2007
✟11,002.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
If a surplus of about $2000 for a year is needed this is a little less then $170 a month. Could you possibly find other things you could sacrifice other than your tithe to get this money? It's like $5 bucks a day you're looking for or $35 a week. This is easily someone's coffee money or some other indulgence.

There's a lot of stuff about tithing that is an interesting conversation but if this is how you choose to give to God it is a good thing but I don't think withdrawing this giving is going to resolve any problems and if anything it will only distance yourself further from God. Tithing is not just money so perhaps you could find a more creative way to settle your tithe like volunteering at a soup kitchen... maybe after that your perspective of a $2000 ring will also change.

I could take on ANOTHER part time job to pay for this but I don't think I could find another $2000 by limiting my spending because the only thing I indulge in is eating out once a week, but removing this would punish my husband too. I don't buy coffee, smoke, etc. We already live in the cheapest apartment in the city, cheapest phone plan, etc. I could also take it out of savings.

Upvote 0

puddleoffaith

Veteran
Dec 18, 2007
✟11,002.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Luke 12:20-21
Proverbs 28:22
Matthew 6:19-24

Hi, I am sorry that you lost your ring and hope that you find it or get a replacement soon. (Wonder if it is down in your sofa?) I had a ring get stuck under the skirting board in my bedroom.

On to the subject of tithing. I think it would be wrong to pay for a replacement out of your tithe. However, if you begrudge paying it you tithe is not given freely. I am thinking of Jesus words about treasures on Earth. Where moth will destroy.

It also makes me think of idolatry. Loving jewellery more than the Lord. You might not like that said and feel that it isn't the case but think back to the days when you would give with joy. You would be giving with gratitude for all he has given us. Hoping that the money would be used in furthering his kingdom as well as for paying towards the church upkeep and staff of the church.

I would rather ask the Lord for wisdom. He can provide your old ring, a new ring. He sees your heart and surely will bless you when you decide to serve him from the heart and not worldly things.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark+12:41-44&version=NIV

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+21:1-4&version=NIV

(The parable of the poor widow)

Thanks! I think the problem is that I was giving because I wanted to, but now that I lost this ring and God has not helped me find it, I would be giving begrudgingly because I would rather buy back the ring. I could stop the giving for 5 months to buy the ring, and then give cheerfully again. Or I could buy the ring from savings and give grudgingly. But I guess I could also ask God for wisdom and to help me give cheerfully while also paying for the ring myself.

Upvote 0

puddleoffaith

Veteran
Dec 18, 2007
✟11,002.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
People always blame God for things and when times are tough! Pathetic really.

Carry your cross with pride and in the name of Jesus. Put your trust in Him. Don't worry about material things. You can't take them with you when you pass from this world.

I try not to clame God but if He has control, He is at least partly to blame. Am I only supposed to give attribute good things to Him?

It's true that we should not idolize material things and generally, I am pretty good about not caring about material things. There are only 5 things that I own that I would cry over if the whole apartment burned down and this was Number One so this has hit me where it hurts most.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I could take on ANOTHER part time job to pay for this but I don't think I could find another $2000 by limiting my spending because the only thing I indulge in is eating out once a week, but removing this would punish my husband too. I don't buy coffee, smoke, etc. We already live in the cheapest apartment in the city, cheapest phone plan, etc. I could also take it out of savings.
It sounds like you've made your mind up.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

puddleoffaith

Veteran
Dec 18, 2007
✟11,002.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Assembly of God denomination expects tithing to their denomination. I would pray about that sort of question instead of asking us.

Someone stole both my wedding ring and engagement ring. I haven't spent my money on new ones, but I'd like to have new ones. They are way too expensive and mine were very old; I wouldn't be able to find duplicates.

I'm sorry to hear that. I first thought that it would be impossible to find the same ring I lost and was heartbroken but would not have purchased a different ring. But then when I saw that the same one was for sale 5 years later, I just know that it would completely fill the place in my heart the other one had (I did replace my most prized childhood toy once because I saw it for $10, and I never remember or care that it's not the original. I keep it on display in my living room.).

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
1 Corinthians 16:2 tells us “On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income.” This means that we should give regularly. It does not say that Christians must tithe. The matter of your giving is between you and God, and He always takes into account our circumstances. The important thing is that we must see giving as being a privilege and not a burden. It should not be out of a sense of duty, but rather out of love for the Lord.

Upvote 0

puddleoffaith

Veteran
Dec 18, 2007
✟11,002.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
It sounds like you've made your mind up.

No, I am actually leaning away from taking it from our giving. I am thinking I can take on an extra contract in January once my current extra contract end. It just really sucks to think about because I was looking forward to not having to work so much. Or perhaps taking it out of savings which my husband is probably leaning towards. Our offering to the church is one of the only 'optional' expenses in our budget so it seemed like something I could cut back on, but I also don't want to take away from any blessings God might have in store for us and I want to show a steadfastness in faith through giving which can be hard. I also would not be able to tell this to any of our christian friends because I know they would disagree with us taking from our offering to buy a diamond and this would take away from our fellowship with other believers.

Upvote 0

puddleoffaith

Veteran
Dec 18, 2007
✟11,002.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Mark 8:36 For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul?

It's true, but as an offering isn't it optional anyways? Am I really forfeiting my soul by redirecting some funds for awhile?

Upvote 0
Aug 14, 2018
Lagos
✟8,407.00
Country
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The only difference between this problem and the other problems is that at the moment, the ring store still sells my ring (although it's on clearance and will likely be gone soon) so I could fix the problem by buying new one. I have been praying about all of these problems and nothing has really been fully resolved and I am upset with God. I also don't want to pay out $2000 for a new ring. I am wondering if I can reduce my tithe to pay for the ring because God just isn't helping me out right now and I could use the money to repurchase the ring. I would need to reduce my tithe by about almost 50% for almost a year to buy my ring back.[/

Please brother don't allow devil to deceive you. you can not reduce your tithe just because you want to buy a new ring. it is a sin in the sight of God. God know your heart and know want you want, all your need to do is to call on God to bless you more and remind Him (God) of His promise.

Upvote 0