Can Christians Work for Income on the Sabbath Day?

Doran

Oct 4, 2022
Lantana, FL
✟53,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus' teaching on how to observe (or keep) the sabbath day seems pretty clear. He not only provided several examples of how Jews would often do good works on the day, cf. Mat 12:11; Lk 13:15-17; 14:5, but he also asked his hypocritical detractors straight out whether it was lawful to do good or do harm, or to save a life or to kill on the sabbath (Mk 3:4); or was it even lawful to heal on the sabbath (Lk 14:3). But even more than these things, and no doubt due to the hardness of their hearts, he stated plainly and unequivocally that it was lawful to do good on the day (Mat 12:12).

On the other hand, The Law and the Prophets just as plainly teach that conducting commerce on the sabbath (i.e. earning income) was strictly forbidden (Neh 10:31; 13:15-17; Jer 17:21, etc.).

So...since all this is true, it certainly appears that born again Christians in this New Covenant Gospel Age are totally forbidden to do any kind or work for income on the sabbath day (whether this be on the 7th or 8th day). Christians are locked out of numerous professions that would do good unto others such as medical, law enforcement, fire, telecommunications, transportation, utilities, etc.

Reformed Baptists, for example, conveniently ignore the OT passages cited above and declare that "emergency" or "first responder" kind of work is perfectly okay for Christians to engage in on the sabbath because they rely only on what Jesus taught. Yet, the Law is the Law! And the Law says that no income-earning work can be done on the sabbath! Moreover, Jesus never accepted any money for any of the good works he did on the sabbath -- or on any other day for that matter. So, the Reformed Baptist tend to play a wee bit loose and free with the sabbath, in spite of all their rhetoric about the sanctity of the Law of Moses today.

So, what sayest you, sabbath-keepers: Are Christians in this age forbidden to do any income-earning work on the sabbath?

Last edited:

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Jesus' teaching on how to observe (or keep) the sabbath day seems pretty clear. He not only provided several examples of how Jews would often do good works on the day, cf. Mat 12:11; Lk 13:15-17; 14:5, but he also asked his hypocritical detractors straight out whether it was lawful to do good or do harm, or to save a life or to kill on the sabbath (Mk 3:4);

what He did not do is argue for doing secular labor on Sabbath, no building houses , no plowing fields, no repairing homes etc.

Jesus flat out condemned the speculation of some - that he had come to delete/set-aside even one of the commands of God in Matt 5.

he stated plainly and unequivocally that it was lawful to do good on the day (Mat 12:12).
But did not argue that it was "lawful to build a good house on Sabbath or to plow a good field on Sabbath" since scripture in Ex 20:8-11 and Is 58:13 condemned it.
On the other hand, The Law and the Prophets just as plainly teach that conducting commerce on the sabbath (i.e. earning income) was strictly forbidden (Neh 10:31; 13:15-17; Jer 17:21, etc.).
Jesus sold nothing on Sabbath, Jesus bought nothing on Sabbath.

But Jesus affirmed the work of priests on the Sabbath as they had been doing for 1000's of years, in their occupation as priests.
So...since all this is true, it certainly appears that born again Christians in this New Covenant Gospel Age are totally forbidden to do any kind or work for income on the sabbath day (whether this be on the 7th or 8th day). Christians are locked out of numerous professions that would do good unto others such as medical, law enforcement, fire, telecommunications, transportation, utilities, etc.

Reformed Baptists, for example, conveniently ignore the OT passages cited above and declare that "emergency" or "first responder" kind of work is perfectly okay for Christians to engage in on the sabbath because they rely only on what Jesus taught.
The priests of the OT engaged in their profession on Sabbath. Hospitals are open on Sabbath.

Jesus affirmed providing necessary care for others on Sabbath
Yet, the Law is the Law! And the Law says that no income-earning work can be done on the sabbath! Moreover, Jesus never accepted any money for any of the good works he did on the sabbath -- or on any other day for that matter. So, the Reformed Baptist tend to play a wee bit loose and free with the sabbath, in spite of all their rhetoric about the sanctity of the Law of Moses today.
Jesus Himself was engaged in ministry on Sabbath and was supported by his followers with money and housing etc to continue his work in his occupation. Unlike Paul who would go do tent-making on the week-days but not on Sabbath - Jesus was employed full time in his missionary work - and never engaged in any secular work on any day of the week once he began his Gospel ministry.

Upvote 0

Doran

Oct 4, 2022
Lantana, FL
✟53,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
what He did not do is argue for doing secular labor on Sabbath, no building houses , no plowing fields, no repairing homes etc.

Jesus flat out condemned the speculation of some - that he had come to delete/set-aside even one of the commands of God in Matt 5.

But did not argue that it was "lawful to build a good house on Sabbath or to plow a good field on Sabbath" since scripture in Ex 20:8-11 and Is 58:13 condemned it.

But Jesus affirmed the work of priests on the Sabbath as they had been doing for 1000's of years, in their occupation as priests.

The priests of the OT engaged in their profession on Sabbath. Hospitals are open on Sabbath.

Jesus Himself was engaged in ministry on Sabbath and was supported by his followers with money and housing etc to continue his work in his occupation. Unlike Paul who would go do tent-making on the week-days but not on Sabbath - Jesus was employed full time in his missionary work - and never engaged in any secular work on any day of the week once he began his Gospel ministry

Wow! What an informative post! I just learned now for the first time in my entire life that Hospitals are open for business on the sabbaths. That's good to know. Does that mean that a Christian can actually be a doctor or some other kind of health care worker, or even in a lesser health care supporting role for doctors, nurses, patients, etc. and work for income on the sabbath?

By the way, do you know that all New Covenant believers are also priests unto the Most High God?

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟663,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus came to this Earth into a Jewish family in Israel and lived under the laws given to Israel at Sinai. He taught the Torah as it was supposed to be taught and kept by Jews. He didn't teach Torah to Gentiles because they were never under Torah. Torah was the laws of the Old Covenant. The Old Covenant ended at Calvary where Jesus ratified the New and better covenant with His own blood. Jews are now under the New and better covenant and I reiterate Gentiles never were under the ritual, civil and health laws Jews were under. Sabbath observance was a ritual law given only to Israel and since it ended at Calvary no one is now subject to its requirements. We are free to worship and rest any time we choose. Therefore, we are free to work for income any time we choose.

Reactions: expos4ever
Upvote 0

Doran

Oct 4, 2022
Lantana, FL
✟53,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

Jesus Himself was engaged in ministry on Sabbath and was supported by his followers with money and housing etc to continue his work in his occupation. Unlike Paul who would go do tent-making on the week-days but not on Sabbath - Jesus was employed full time in his missionary work - and never engaged in any secular work on any day of the week once he began his Gospel ministry.
So, given your final paragraph above, are you saying that it's okay for Christian medical professionals to perform their secular good works on the sabbath for pay, since Jesus performed his 3-/2-year full time ministry for pay?

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
So, given your final paragraph above, are you saying that it's okay for Christian medical professionals to perform their secular good works on the sabbath for pay, since Jesus performed his 3-/2-year full time ministry for pay?
Jesus worked for money?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
And fire fighters, and Police, and Ambulance etc.

God's directive was not that society should go up in flames every 7 days.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Jesus came to this Earth into a Jewish family in Israel and lived under the laws given to Israel at Sinai. He taught the Torah as it was supposed to be taught and kept by Jews.

And He said for His followers to teach OTHERs what HE had taught THEM. Matt 28:19 (for those who choose to read it)

He did not teach them to rebel against the commandments of God as we can see in Mark 7:7-13 - but we DO have people that teach that very thing today.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Wow! What an informative post! I just learned now for the first time in my entire life that Hospitals are open for business on the sabbaths. That's good to know.
wow -- I just learned for the first time in my life that you did not know that until now.
That's good to know. Does that mean that a Christian can actually be a doctor or some other kind of health care worker, or even in a lesser health care supporting role for doctors, nurses, patients, etc. and work for income on the sabbath?
As long as it provides for necessary health - (as opposed to cleaning a swimming pool or conductnig aerobics classes etc)
By the way, do you know that all New Covenant believers are also priests unto the Most High God?
I do - but they do not farm for Jesus on the Sabbath as a necessary form of spreading the Gospel even though they farm for 6 days of the week.

Necessary work is allowed - secular work that can be performed on any other day is not. Look up the term "Sanctified", read Is 58:13

And remember - the New Covenant is Old Testament Jer 31:31-34 as even Heb 8:6-13 reminds us

Upvote 0

Doran

Oct 4, 2022
Lantana, FL
✟53,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus worked for money?
Well, someone observed that Jesus's ministry was supported with the filthy lucre -- which is true. I think they were trying to draw a parallel between that and a secular income-earning profession.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Doran

Oct 4, 2022
Lantana, FL
✟53,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
wow -- I just learned for the first time in my life that you did not know that until now.

Here's another life lesson for you: You don't recognize tongue-in-cheek sarcasm either.

As long as it provides for necessary health - (as opposed to cleaning a swimming pool or conductnig aerobics classes etc)

I do - but they do not farm for Jesus on the Sabbath as a necessary form of spreading the Gospel even though they farm for 6 days of the week.

Necessary work is allowed - secular work that can be performed on any other day is not. Look up the term "Sanctified", read Is 58:13

And remember - the New Covenant is Old Testament Jer 31:31-34 as even Heb 8:6-13 reminds us
No, the New Covenant is not the Old Covenant. There is no syncretism with these two covenants. The New is UNLIKE the old. There are many differences between them. In fact, both Covenants are contradictory, which accounts for Jesus' warning about trying to pour new wine into old wine skins.

So...when you say "necessary work" is allowed, I assume you're saying necessary secular, income-producing work, correct? I mean... " the laborer is worthy of his hire", right (1Tim 5:18)? If so, how do you square such an idea with OT passages that strictly forbid all commerce on the sabbath (Neh 10:31; 13:15-17; Jer 17:21), knowing of no exceptions in the Law for "necessary" income-producing good works.. Therefore, it appears that Christians in this New Covenant era are locked out of all the many medical, emergency, first-responder type professions if they get paid for doing their good works.

Also, for the record....what specific income-producing good works are classified as "necessary" in scripture? You have some chapters and verses on this concept to share with us?

Reactions: pasifika
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Well, someone observed that Jesus's ministry was supported with the filthy lucre -- which is true. I think they were trying to draw a parallel between that and a secular income-earning profession.
Where is your evidence for such an assertion?

Upvote 0

Doran

Oct 4, 2022
Lantana, FL
✟53,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Where is your evidence for such an assertion?
For what assertion: That Jesus' ministry was monetarily supported? I didn't draw that parallel, however. Jesus' ministry was a gospel ministry and as such full time laborers in that kind of ministry are worthy to be compensated per 1Tim 5:17-18.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
For what assertion: That Jesus' ministry was monetarily supported? I didn't draw that parallel, however. Jesus' ministry was a gospel ministry and as such full time laborers in that kind of ministry are worthy to be compensated per 1Tim 5:17-18.
OK. the way you said that it sounded like you agreed with it toe.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟663,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And He said for His followers to teach OTHERs what HE had taught THEM. Matt 28:19 (for those who choose to read it)
Jesus taught the Jews that not jot or tittle could be removed from the Law. Is this what your missionaries teach??? Could it be that your missionaries are the ones that are teaching the doctrines of a woman and her minions???
He did not teach them to rebel against the commandments of God as we can see in Mark 7:7-13 - but we DO have people that teach that very thing today.
That is correct, He taught them to observe all of the 613 laws that pertained to them. I see a real problem with what you are teaching.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Jesus came to this Earth into a Jewish family in Israel and lived under the laws given to Israel at Sinai. He taught the Torah as it was supposed to be taught and kept by Jews.

That is correct, He taught them to observe all of the 613 laws that pertained to them. I see a real problem with what you are teaching.
I referenced Matt 28:19 and you claim that you need to reject it so as not to have 'the problem' you see with accepting it.

problem for you -- noted.

What are your views of the 1050 commands in the NT?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟663,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I quoted Matt 28:19 and you claim that you need to reject it so as not to have 'the problem' you see with accepting it.
Oh, I accept it and support it, just not your version.

Laws dealing with moral issues are forever, I would like to see all 1050 commands before I comment. I know of one I do not believe is binding on Christians and that one is women not having a voice in the church, Seems like you would even agree with me on that since you bow to your woman prophet,

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

I referenced Matt 28:19 and you claim that you need to reject it so as not to have 'the problem' you see with accepting it.

Oh, I accept it and support it, just not your version.
That is pretty weak given that all I did is post the reference to it. Like this
"Jesus did not teach them to rebel against the commandments of God as we can see in Mark 7:7-13"

Do you read the posts??
do you cut past responses from some other board - here because you liked them there? If you read the post in context before posting it works better.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Laws dealing with moral issues are forever
The TEN are forever -- in fact the Sabbath is for all eternity after the cross in the New Earth Is 66:23.
James 2- "To break one is to break them all"
, I would like to see all 1050 commands before I comment
. I know of one I do not believe is binding on Christians and that one is women not having a voice in the church,
No NT statement says women are not allowed to have a voice in the church.

in fact we have women prophets in the NT.
We have a woman instructing Apollos in more accurate Gospel doctrine.
We have "neither male nor female" in God's order in the church according to Eph 2.

But we also have women told not to be quizzing their husbands in the middle of church. That we do have.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
BobRyan said:

Jesus taught the Jews that not jot or tittle could be removed from the Law. Is this what your missionaries teach???
Are you trying to find a way to ignore the NT statement of Christ???
Why would we teach people to ignore the Bible?
Could it be that your missionaries are the ones that are teaching the doctrines of a woman and her minions???
Could it be that you don't have your facts straight??

Upvote 0