Can a Spirit-filled Christian cast out a demon today?

Can a Spirit-filled Christian cast out a demon today?

• Total voters

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hi Family,

I have been told by some members that Christians today cannot cast out a demon because it was only for the apostles. I have also been told thst the command to heal and cast out demons was to only the apostles.

Without going into detail as to the how-tos...

Do you believe Christians nowadays are still called to help deliver the captives and that these Christians have the Holy Spirit given power to do so?

~Natsumi Lam~

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Deliverance ministry (casting out a demon) is not a manifestation of the Holy Spirit. (spiritual gift) So, my answer is yes and no. Allow me to explain.

Yes, a Christian can cast out a demon today.
No, that Christian does not have to be "Spirit-filled". (having had the Baptism with the Holy Spirit)

In fact, a person can do self-deliverance if they understand the basic principles. Allow me to explain.

Spiritual oppression is matter of a contract with the enemy. Break the contract and the oppressing spirit (demon) can be removed. The contract is made when we believe a lie planted by the enemy. Renouncing the lie (replacing it with God's truth) breaks the contract. The OP asked to not get in to the "how-to". So, I will stop here.

But here's the BIG question for those who claim we cannot minister in this area. Does God surrender those who are swindled by the enemy in this way? Are they to maintain their contract with the enemy with no remedy?

In churches where they hold these beliefs, it is common to take someone from their congregation that is suffering in this way to a Pentecostal/Charismatic church to seek help. All done quietly so as not to draw any attention to it, of course.

It's a real problem, requiring real solutions.

• Agree
Reactions: Natsumi Lam
Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Deliverance ministry (casting out a demon) is not a manifestation of the Holy Spirit. (spiritual gift) So, my answer is yes and no. Allow me to explain.

Yes, a Christian can cast out a demon today.
No, that Christian does not have to be "Spirit-filled". (having had the Baptism with the Holy Spirit)

In fact, a person can do self-deliverance if they understand the basic principles. Allow me to explain.

Spiritual oppression is matter of a contract with the enemy. Break the contract and the oppressing spirit (demon) can be removed. The contract is made when we believe a lie planted by the enemy. Renouncing the lie (replacing it with God's truth) breaks the contract. The OP asked to not get in to the "how-to". So, I will stop here.

But here's the BIG question for those who claim we cannot minister in this area. Does God surrender those who are swindled by the enemy in this way? Are they to maintain their contract with the enemy with no remedy?

In churches where they hold these beliefs, it is common to take someone from their congregation that is suffering in this way to a Pentecostal/Charismatic church to seek help. All done quietly so as not to draw any attention to it, of course.

It's a real problem, requiring real solutions.

I honestly think a person who go to the "feel good Churches" like Christ Church of the Valley will have to seek else where to receive deliverance because they focus on the fluff and milk of the Word. Deliverance often requires the dirty " eating the meat off the bone" Words of freedom like contract breaking. The Holy Spirit does not move there because of fear and legalism primarily. So yes, one would have to seek elsewhere for freedom.

Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Hi Family,

I have been told by some members that Christians today cannot cast out a demon because it was only for the apostles. I have also been told thst the command to heal and cast out demons was to only the apostles.

Do you believe Christians nowadays are still called to help deliver the captives and that these Christians have the Holy Spirit given power to do so?

~Natsumi Lam~
In my experience, it's typically Americans who ask this question (which I am). Satan has different tactics in different parts of the world, and different tactics at different times in the same place. Bottom line, he does whatever he can to keep people from seeing Christ.

In America for example, it's not very often we see miracles. It's not very often we see demonic activity of any kind, much less casting out. Personally, I think Satan's mode of attack in America is doing everything he can to silence spiritual activity in its entirety. To make spiritual activity seem archaic, even barbaric.

Conversely, if you have been to India, or Africa for example (I have, so that's why I'm using them), you'll find Satan using a very different tactic. Spiritual warfare is much more visible there, and people aren't skeptical of spiritual activity. Satan just tricks people into the source of the spiritual activity.

So can Christians cast out demons? Through Christ, certainly.

• Agree
GraceR
GraceR
There is actually a lot of demonic activity in America today. For example, witchcraft is literally people using demons to have "magic." Another example is New Age. People open up their minds to demons by meditation and trying to get to a higher level of spirituality. Satin uses these types of beliefs to draw us from God. Satin uses all these tactics, all these religions to lead people in the wrong direction.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Hi Family,

~Natsumi Lam~
Every Catholic diocese has an exorcist who actually does cast out demons. So it is a real thing. These exorcists have been appointed to this work by successors to the apostles, their bishops. They do need the Holy Spirit given power to do so, of course, because it is not the mere man who casts out demons but the power of God.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Samaritan Woman

Sep 2, 2013
Midwest
✟66,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I used to be involved in a deliverance ministry - don't get me started...that's just wonderful and positive the experience it was. :sick: After numerous, and I do mean numerous, years of healing and recovery from the trauma, I have searched the NT for scriptures that can back up the practice of "casting out a demon". I can't find the justification simply on the grounds that in none of the epistles is this topic directly addressed with clear guidance provided for deliverance.

Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
By the way, please define what a "Spirit-filled believer is" as all believers are indwelled with the Holy Spirit.

I mean a Christian who is saved, not through lip- service, but who has, with their heart, accepted Jesus.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
o you believe Christians nowadays are still called to help deliver the captives and that these Christians have the Holy Spirit given power to do so?
Yes. I have done it a few times myself.

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I started and led the deliverance ministry of the church we were going to 15 years ago. I led it for 2 years. So yes I too believe in it and have done it. I think one reason there isn't much 'written' about it is because I think you need to be very Spirit led in this. And that's where I also learned a lot, from those who were Spirit baptized tongue talking Christians. People who ministered and wrote books. I don't think any book was 100% either. Just people walking and writing as best they could..

I think that's why it took Paul two days before being led to discern and cast out the demon of divination . A demon who was speaking the truth, which may have been why Paul missed dealing with it sooner. Or, IMO, maybe that's when the Spirit was ready to deal with it and gave Paul the 'gift of spiritual discernment' to realize it, and the 'authority' to deal with it. (Acts 16)

I do find it interesting that Saint Steven (welcome back bro)thinks anyone who is born again has the authority to walk in deliverance. I personally would disagree with that statement. What are the thoughts of others here concerning that POV?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Gryphon

Sep 26, 2018
Canyon Country
✟23,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
While I was a youth pastor I assisted my pastor in doing exactly that. It assuredly is NOT something that happens a lot nor should it be entered into lightly or without training! It still does go on today. My degree in college was in Psychology so mental illness needs to be ruled out before such an extreme measure is even considered.

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
While I was a youth pastor I assisted my pastor in doing exactly that. It assuredly is NOT something that happens a lot nor should it be entered into lightly or without training! It still does go on today. My degree in college was in Psychology so mental illness needs to be ruled out before such an extreme measure is even considered.
I had a friend who was studying for a degree in psychology.....until he had to do a 2 week educational stint at the state mental hospital. It was supernatural manifestations that he saw there that convinced him there were demons. Scared him so bad he quit pursuing his psych degree. :idea:

Upvote 0