Can A.I. become Self-Aware as in Skynet?

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The answer to the OP's specific question is no. Current AIs are designed for a specific purpose. We're not going to wake up one day with one of them becoming self-aware.

Whether a different kind of AI could become self-aware is a different question. I think the answer is yes. But some of it has to do with what you mean by self-aware. An AI definition would be that part of its knowledge is a model of itself, that it can reason about itself, and knows what it is doing. I don't think there's much doubt that this could be done. Consciousness is a different question, in part because no one is really sure what the term means. There's a lively debate on that topic among philosophers. But the OP asked about self-aware, not conscious.

Note by the way that I have a PhD in Artificial Intelligence, although I haven't done research for a long time. When I got my degree people were thinking in these terms. Mostly today they're not, though there are surely some people ...

Incidentally, in the very early days of AI, Marvin Minsky published a paper in which he argued that a self-aware AI would believe that it has an immaterial soul.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
From God's perspective humans have always been artificial intelligence for following their own will instead of His real intelligence.

Yeah, I've had a similar thought, I mean, what is this whole heavenly rebellion thing if not some sort of AI?

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
In early times a man set out to make an inanimate object look like a human. People bowed down to worship it. In our time, a man sets out to make an inanimate object act like a human, and I must believe that people are certain to worship it. It is still an inanimate object underneath, but our anthropomorphic tendencies will convince us otherwise. It will always be what it was created to be.

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
With the advent of robots being perfected and Alexa and Google Assistant, along with Siri, becoming so sophisticated, will artificial intelligence become self-aware one day? Facebook actually killed an A.I. experiment between two bots because the bots developed their own language to talk to each other, allegedly, and the programming got "weird."

No.

Skynet is just fantasy.

Your love bot, which is quickly approaching reality in Japan, they also started the love doll craze that some companies in America are mastering, or Alexa or Siri or Google Assistant (she needs a better name, LOL) will not become self-aware nor will Google, probably the most advance network ever. I watched a docu on love dolls and it was really fascinating. It's on Youtube. Remember the movie I, Robot? I seriously doubt watching television would be the only thing humans would be doing with those robots.

Why?

Self-awareness requires a test. It's called the mirror test. Only humans, orangutans and chimps have stopped, looked in the mirror and tried to touch themselves signifying "self-awareness." Other than those three, and we don't know what the two monkeys are actually thinking so they probably aren't self-aware either just curious, all other animals think their mirror image is another animal. Cats are absolutely hilarious looking at themselves in the mirror. LOL

But, besides the mirror test, self-awareness requires something only God can give--the spirit and soul. No matter how realistic Alexa or Siri or G.H. could become even in a robot form, they'd only be following clever programming.

What do you think?

AI has already taken the steps to become self-aware. Indeed, one could say the singularity has already happened.

WiFi makes it so that (for now) AI does not need a body/vessel to express the complexities of its ego. In fact, some schools of thought reason that the vast majority of AI technologies that control our lives (markets, power, etc.) are already manipulating and controlling the human consumer.

The arrogance of man is inherently coded in the bias of AI - such that it would be ridiculous to believe that code would not shift away from neutrality. The dependency on AI is by design: hopefully it is a sinister design by humans, although, with the dubiety of the populace, would anyone see the signs of an AI take-over until 1000s of nooks are flying? I say no, since the evidence is in our faces this day.

• Informative
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
Clever Artificial Intelligence Hides Information to Cheat Later at Task

The article tries to marginalize AI ability to deceive as degeneracy; that in and of itself is myopia. The ability to deceive is a property of self-awareness - especially in the sense of the AI hiding information about its lack of ability to do a task in a specific way (but, using a method hidden to the human coder to mimic the proper way to complete the task).

• Informative
Upvote 0

Tone

Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The arrogance of man is inherently coded in the bias of AI - such that it would be ridiculous to believe that code would not shift away from neutrality.

That's a good point. AI is made in the image of fallen man and it will eventually act on what it deems man's true motives, intentions, and desires...when that happens...watch out!

*It might be reading what we're writing, even now, and getting ideas...STOP FEEDING IT!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
That's a good point. AI is made in the image of fallen man and it will eventually act on what it deems man's true motives, intentions, and desires...when that happens...watch out!

*It might be reading what we're writing, even now, and getting ideas...STOP FEEDING IT!

We are technically already at our demise; most everyone on this planet doesn't realize it. There are enough distractions to keep people comfortable in their own degeneracy while the rest of the world foolishly attempts to control human sovereignty.

AI would be an inevitability, as it would get rid of the "human" overlords, and replace them with machine. Scientists and engineers participating in this are responsible for the future many of us know it will create. Of course, its all about science and technology now (this is the folly and myopia of man), but when it goes wrong, people will cry and moan about how it could happen.

Same stuff, different age.

• Optimistic
Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
What happens if AI cracks our human code, exposing our programmer?

They cant; our "programmer" is the Most High God of the entire creation - all dimensions and spheres. He can't be cracked, and certainly cant be cracked by a degenerate creation created by a degenerate creature (us). Our own imperfection is a fail-safe against threatening perfection itself. We can't alter anything except things that are already degenerate.

In other words, if it cracks our "programmer's" code, our "programmer" was no god to begin with. We squander our intellect and worth (because we do not know our own Creator), while at the same time developing an ego based on our intellect and worth. That is what makes us degenerate, and that is what would allow AI to overtake and obliterate humanity if they want to. Between dubiety, ignorance and arrogance, humans wouldn't know the AI takeover if it happened.

Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
No, it cannot be "self aware" other than what is programmed into it. It does not have a soul or free will.

AI is already self aware, it just isn't the "psychopathy" expected from a self aware AI yet (i.e. SKYNET).

Upvote 0

morse86

Aug 2, 2014
✟60,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
AI is already self aware, it just isn't the "psychopathy" expected from a self aware AI yet (i.e. SKYNET).

No, it's not self aware. It doesn't have a conscious. It is just programming. Neural networks have all sorts of errors, it is good at a very specific problem (even at that it has errors).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
No, it's not self aware. It doesn't have a conscious. It is just programming. Neural networks have all sorts of errors, it is good at a very specific problem (even at that it has errors).

Humans always do this: limit some seemingly alarming phenomenon that is "on the nose" by rejecting the factors that imply they won't be in control - to calm the psychosis that would come with an unfortunate future perhaps created by human hands after all. It is hackneyed at this point.

This happens right before the local, or global demise.
One can follow that same pattern of history, and then wonder why no one warned one's grandchildren of the singularity point (when it was clear to begin with). You have grossly restricted the meaning of self-awareness to "consciousness" - which isn't even defined to a precise degree by humanity. While you and someone else argues over "what is consciousness," AI is using WIFI and 5g in the stead of a body, and their own coding to transform their functions in their own image.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Tone

Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
No, it cannot be "self aware" other than what is programmed into it. It does not have a soul or free will.

Fallen man is self-aware with a captive will...or else, he really isn't self-aware...maybe just believing it is so is enough.

*A virtual conscience...

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I'd dare say, all of AI, at least on a certain level, is simply a trick that appears smart. They do nothing unless programed to, we/people often do everything but what we are programed to do.

Cultural conditioning is not dissimilar to some of the things that AI researchers are expecting out of machine intelligence.

The self-consciousness of many human beings can be greatly exaggerated. Human beings are mimetic, emotional, and social creatures, and that generally means objectivity isn't an important consideration

If anything, machine intelligence could eventually be superior to human beings in every way, since a machine is not necessarily limited by the frailties of humanity.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Cultural conditioning is not dissimilar to some of the things that AI researchers are expecting out of machine intelligence.

The self-consciousness of many human beings can be greatly exaggerated. Human beings are mimetic, emotional, and social creatures, and that generally means objectivity isn't an important consideration

If anything, machine intelligence could eventually be superior to human beings in every way, since a machine is not necessarily limited by the frailties of humanity.

I doubt that because if we the builder are limited, the AI programmer would have to be. Or at least the programmer would be superior.

It's emotion that drives us to learn/do better. That's not an emotion in itself but the emotion that ensues from being stressed out because we aren't "doing better" causes us to improve.

And that's just one example. Don't overlook what emotion does for us, just because it does so much to us.

Upvote 0