Can a Christian support or condone torture?

Can a Christian condone torture? (public poll!)

• Yes. A Christian can condone torture

• No. A Christian cannot condone torture

• It depends (please explain)

• I do not know

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReasoner

Former christian, current teapot agnostic.
Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No real fancy anything here. Just; Can a Christian really condone or support torture? Is torture something a Christian can give the OK?

[edit]
Re-phrased; Would Jesus condone torture? As we are supposed to be little Christs the answer to that question should be our answer to this poll
[/edit]

Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
faith guardian said:
No real fancy anything here. Just; Can a Christian really condone or support torture? Is torture something a Christian can give the OK?

[edit]
Re-phrased; Would Jesus condone torture? As we are supposed to be little Christs the answer to that question should be our answer to this poll
[/edit]
Jesus would probably not condone torture. Jesus was tortured, and forgave those who tortured him. Although I do not condone torture, I will not hold judgement against those who do torture.

We are supposed to forgive those who torture others.

Reactions: k
Upvote 0

TheReasoner

Former christian, current teapot agnostic.
Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
MethodMan said:
Can we come up with a definition of torutre that we can all agree on? Panties on the head doesn't cut it for me.
it all depends on many issues. In order to extract information through torture you can use medieval torture, like, erm... On second thought, I won´t post any descriptions. Nasty stuff... Which destroys your body and leaves you in a state of excruciating pgysical pain. Which can make most people say whatever you want them. Most would confess to being a duck on steroids if exposed to this torture.
And that is the problem. Physical torture of this kind has a few downsides.
Point one; It leaves a lot of dead bodies. Whoever is exposed to the iron maiden, or the saw, or such is killed, albeit slowly. The object of the torture would thus be dual. One, get information. And two, get rid of opposition.
Most others maim the victim for life, leaving visible marks which can very easilly be identified.
Two; It can get people to say anything. Like say they were definitely the main person behind the mongol raids, or even genghis khan himself. As demonstrated in the knights templar admitting to worshipping the devil.
Other, more modern methods do not kill or maim too severely, and have been used effectively. Such as electrocution, cigarette burns, a few chinese methods and so on. Drugs... Loads of options. But again, you get the same problem. The victim will confess to anything. And often his zeal will not be broken, but strengthened. So in the case of a religious extremist whose beliefs you bolster by physical torture, what do you do? Well, you find something else. Something which does not spoil your information and does not spoil the victim physically.
In short; You break them. Mentally. If you can, attack the most fundamental part of their beliefs. Something essential to their belief or zeal. Attack their cause. Make it seem lost, make it seem futile. Convince them that you are superior and they are nougt but inferior dogs. Make them believe it. Whatever their culture or their belief finds the most degrading, force them to do that. Spit and beat, underline what you do with physical action, but focus mainly on the mental assaults. Kill and remove their identity and sense of belonging. Keep the people isolated, and only talking to eachother when it can strengthen your cause.
What's more, if it does leak you will not have that big of a trouble, because what makes headlines in such situations is mainly one thing; Death tolls. Keep the death toll nonexistant, and keep the headlines low too.

For a muslim, as far as I understand, it is an extreme assault to have his hair and beard shaved off. Being prevented from praying five times a day. It may not be very degrading to put a panty on your head. But what if another person had worn that panty for a month without changing. Being beaten and degraded to the point of him occasionally urinating in it. Then, you are commanded to pull it over your head. Imagine months and months in a hellish camp with constant mental assaults. With constant attacks on everything crucial to you, everything you believe and stand for being completely undermined and destroyed, and this would only be one piece in a major puzzle to break who you are. Torture is not merely crushing a foot. Or cutting, beating, electrocuting, burning... It is also mental harassment in the extreme.

torture

n 1: extreme mental distress [syn: anguish, torment] 2: unbearable physical pain [syn: torment] 3: intense feelings of suffering; acute mental or physical pain; "an agony of doubt"; "the torments of the damned" [syn: agony, torment]

It is all relative to many factors. I do not have a problem with putting a pair of clean boxers on my head in the right situation. But put that happening in the right circumstances and suddenly it can be extremely degrading and really really break you.
Do not underestimate a simple action in the right setting.

Upvote 0

Bradford

Fool on the Hill
May 5, 2004
✟29,708.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This thread is being re-opened now.

This thread ahs also found a new home. It is now in Christian Philosophy and Ethics, moved in from General Politics.

This means Rule 6 now ATTACHES to this thread, and must be obeyed.

Rule 1:

[noflame]

and Rule 2

[notroll]

Also apply as well, and you are advised to follow them. Thank you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stumpjumper

Left the river, made it to the sea
Site Supporter
May 10, 2005
✟71,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would have to say no.

Jesus stated quite emphatically in the Sermon on the Mount:

"But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. For if ye only love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?"

And I think he meant it...

Reactions: JustOneWay
Upvote 0

stumpjumper

Site Supporter
May 10, 2005
✟71,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Gospel According to St. Matthew, Chapter 25, Verse 40
And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CaDan again."

Oh and I think Jesus was also big on forgiveness too:

The Gospel According to St. Luke Chapter 23, verse 34
Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Of course a Christian can condone torture. Christians can commit torture. Every day, Christians torture and murder. Every day, Christians lie, steal, and commit adultery. If God told us not to do it, somewhere out there, we're doing it.

So obviously, Christians can condone torture.

The question is whether Christ can? I believe He did, once, when it was Him being tortured. I think, however, that this was more to prove a point about His teachings than it was an endorsement of the practice on its own merits. I believe He intended us to come to terms with the horror of what we do to each other, and thus to Him.

Sadly, it was not to be.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Miss Shelby said:
No I don't think Jesus would condone torture. I certainly don't think that he would condone a going on 4 decade mass slaughter of innocent babies, otherwise known as legalized abortion.

I can certainly sympathize with this view, but I'm not quite clear on how it connects to the torture question. Is there a connection between them that I'm missing?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mandrake

Brother Cattle Prod of Reasoned Discussion
Mar 5, 2006
✟17,078.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
I think that this is a hard question to answer, and will always remain so. It's easy to say that no, of course Christ wouldn't order someone tortured, but much more difficult to say that he would, if he could prevent it by torturing an accomplice, allow a group of terrorists to commit an act leading to the death of hundreds or thousands of people.

While I don't support torture personally, I think that the dei ontological construction stating that it's always wrong and thus cannot be done falls short. I think it's wrong because I think that the negative aspects of allowing torture will always outweigh any positive outcomes in a single case of doing so over the long term.

Upvote 0

Buttermilk

Oct 19, 2003
✟16,334.00
Faith
Atheist
CaDan said:
The First Station
Jesus Is Condemned

The Second Station
The Cross Is Laid Upon Him

The Third Station
Jesus Falls the First Time

The Fourth Station
Jesus Meets His Mother

The Fifth Station
Simon of Cyrene Is Forced to Bear the Cross

The Sixth Station
Veronica Wipes the Face of Jesus

The Seventh Station
Jesus Falls a Second Time

The Eighth Station
Jesus Meets the Women of Jerusalem

The Ninth Station
Jesus Falls a Third Time

The Tenth Station
Jesus Is Stripped of His Garments

The Eleventh Station
Jesus Is Crucified

The Twelfth Station
Jesus Dies

The Thirteenth Station
His Body Is Removed From the Cross

The Fourteenth Station
His Body Is Laid In the Tomb

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

:thumbsup:
And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me

exactly

(wouldn't let me reproduce the images :()

Reactions: stumpjumper
Upvote 0

stumpjumper

Site Supporter
May 10, 2005
✟71,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I also found reading Republican Senator John McCain's article in Newsweek informative about torture and how it harms the torturers just as much (well certainly not as much physically) as the torturees: Article Here

Excerpt:
"The mistreatment of prisoners harms us more than our enemies. I don't think I'm naive about how terrible are the wages of war, and how terrible are the things that must be done to wage it successfully. It is an awful business, and no matter how noble the cause for which it is fought, no matter how valiant their service, many veterans spend much of their subsequent lives trying to forget not only what was done to them, but some of what had to be done by them to prevail."

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
seebs said:
I can certainly sympathize with this view, but I'm not quite clear on how it connects to the torture question. Is there a connection between them that I'm missing?
You don't see the connection between abortion and torture or you don't see the connection about how people can support or condone it?

Michelle

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
seebs said:
The question is whether Christ can? I believe He did, once, when it was Him being tortured. I think, however, that this was more to prove a point about His teachings than it was an endorsement of the practice on its own merits. I believe He intended us to come to terms with the horror of what we do to each other, and thus to Him.

Sadly, it was not to be.
I don't think He was trying to prove a point, I think he died for the atonement of sin. edited because I realized I was wrong. I hate that.

But I agree, reflecting on his passion should make us more aware of our own actions.

Michelle

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.