MDC

Jan 19, 2017
Texas
✟59,701.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Nobody knows if they’re saved. You’re working on til the day you die.
Speak for yourself. The just live by faith. Our (elect) confidence and assurance rest in Christ and His merits alone for our salvation. The doctrine of losing salvation stems from the self righteous who rest in their “righteous” deeds as their foundation for gaining and maintaining their salvation. Of course there’s never really any assurance in such a teaching

• Agree
Reactions: Earth18
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I searched this online (bad idea for someone like me who constantly overthinks) and come to the conclusion im not as saved as i thought I was. A lot of my sins i haven't disclosed, meaning I've hid behind the cover of Gods grace. I sinned? Ask forgiveness. Sinned against or harmed someone? Ask forgiveness. Stole, lied or cheated (even in my current relationship) ask forgiveness. Some sins such as cursing, watching inappropriate content, talking behind peoples backs I've done without even thinking.

That said, I read an article today and it totally messed up my day because if salvation is that easy to lose, why do it? Is it as easy as asking for forgiveness of the sins mentioned above? Some of which i still struggle with? I don't know. Really frustrated today bouncing these thoughts around in my head.
First...""What is impossible with man is possible with God."
It is not so much forgiveness as it is repentance and the regeneration "putting on the new man" promised through the power of the Holy Spirit.

God will always forgive however are you really saved if you do not repent and change your mind about your sin? This is the work of the Holy Spirit in ones life. Living in continual unrepentant sin may be a sign that you have "quenched" the Holy Spirit that leads you to conviction and repentance. You may be a bit stubborn in your sin so since it is God that does the work, change, in our life you will need to let Him in to do it. It is obvious you are in pain and what better way to relive that pain than through the Grace God has given us. Start praying for change, change change in your behavior and know that God has forgiven you through your willingness to walk with Him.
Blessings

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
I searched this online (bad idea for someone like me who constantly overthinks) and come to the conclusion im not as saved as i thought I was. A lot of my sins i haven't disclosed, meaning I've hid behind the cover of Gods grace. I sinned? Ask forgiveness. Sinned against or harmed someone? Ask forgiveness. Stole, lied or cheated (even in my current relationship) ask forgiveness. Some sins such as cursing, watching inappropriate content, talking behind peoples backs I've done without even thinking.

That said, I read an article today and it totally messed up my day because if salvation is that easy to lose, why do it? Is it as easy as asking for forgiveness of the sins mentioned above? Some of which i still struggle with? I don't know. Really frustrated today bouncing these thoughts around in my head.

Yes of course, Except from a few sects all Christians believe its possible.
Catholics believe in it, orthodox believes in it and so did Luther. The dispute between the catholic church and luther was about the importance of faith vs works and even though Luther empathized faith he stressed the need for faith in Gods promises though Christ our redeemer.
If you lose faith according to Luther you'll also lose your salvation.

OSAS is not Lutheran even thought some link it to him falsely.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Speaking only for myself, I'll be consistent with responses I've given in the past and simply say that I think neither the "Once Saved Always Saved" or the "Salvation Can Be Lost" views likely catch the full meaning of the spiritual dynamics that are at work in our interactions with the Lord.

I don't think you can 'lose' your salvation like you 'lose' a quarter by dropping it and it rolls away. But, we can choose to reject the gift of God we've been given in Christ and [foolishly] attempt to drop kick it. But to do so effectively....well, that takes some skill. ;)

Reactions: mreeed
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you stray, he will discipline and restore you "in the paths of righteousness" for his name's sake.

What book/verse of the bible is that from, Jonaitis 4:12? You've gotten scripture mixed up there with your own words.

Can you show us where, if we stray, it's biblical he will force us to be restored if we do not choose to be?

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think you can 'lose' your salvation like you 'lose' a quarter by dropping it and it rolls away.

Thing is, who ever claimed that we could? God is the decider on that one. What if we decide to live with our better half and do so for the rest of our lives? See, OSAS, says that's ok, and they go to heaven still or they throw their completely false catch all "They were never saved to begin with" at it, something they have no idea if it's true or not.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thing is, who ever claimed that we could? God is the decider on that one. What if we decide to live with our better half and do so for the rest of our lives? See, OSAS, says that's ok, and they go to heaven still or they throw their completely false catch all "They were never saved to begin with" at it, something they have no idea if it's true or not.

That's what I was implying, Kenny. You have the read the whole post, not just the little bit that catches your first attention. :rolleyes: ... I don't agree with OSAS, but neither do I think that those who call upon the Lord, participate in the work of the Holy Spirit, are "sealed" in just the way that OSAS proponents say we are. Can you tell that I'm not a big fan of Calvin? Of course, this doesn't mean that I just automatically throw in the towel to Arminius, either.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
What book/verse of the bible is that from, Jonaitis 4:12? You've gotten scripture mixed up there with your own words.

Can you show us where, if we stray, it's biblical he will force us to be restored if we do not choose to be?

It is like people choose to hear what they want to hear, and make a presumption that that's what we are saying. It does no good to the discussion, it only furthers the divisiveness between Christians.

No where did I say that Christians are forced against their will to be restored. If you came willingly, by grace, to believe, you will continue willingly, by grace, to persevere (Hebrews 6:9; Romans 8:29-30). God will convict and work in the heart of children to repent, even from long periods of certain sins.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alistair_Wonderland

Apr 14, 2018
New Philadelphia
✟28,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Take it from somebody who has struggled with a lot of sins and a lot of self-judgmental thinking my whole life, it really is just as easy as asking for forgiveness. Now, you want to overcome your struggles, and should probably pray to God about helping you through them, but Christians have a messed-up view of forgiveness. We cannot and never will be able to be good on our own, and God knows that, and loves us anyway. The Bible never said "Jesus died for the people who became Christians, always confessed their sins, and lived a good American lifestyle." No, Jesus died for the world. That is why there is only one unforgivable sin, and that is to choose to turn away from God's forgiveness and choose to hold on to your sins. Every other sin was covered on the cross. All you have to do is ask him to take them from you.

You're flawed. You're sinful. So are we all. And anybody who acts like they're morally superior to you because they're sins are "not as serious" are suffering from the sin of pride. (I've suffered from moral hubris enough times myself to know.)
To imply that you can do anything to earn God's forgiveness is just silly. The reason His salvation is so amazing is because it is so simple. He's been teaching me a lot recently about how He loves me even though I don't deserve it and never could.
Again, this isn't to say you shouldn't try to stop your mistakes. But when you mess up, don't let it be an opportunity to give in to the Devil's lies that you are unforgiven or unloved. Let it be an opportunity to come humbly before God and rejoice in the fact that He loves us and gives us grace even when we don't deserve it. After all, have you even read about the people God said He loved in the Bible? King David was "a man after God's own heart", and he was a murderer and an adulterer. Having a repentant spirit is the only thing you can really try to do, because we are all flawed, and we have to admit it and ask God to help us overcome our mistakes. Repentance is about being sad that you upset someone you love (God), not beating yourself up because you broke a rule.

Reactions: C Johnson
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's what I was implying, Kenny. You have the read the whole post, not just the little bit that catches your first attention. :rolleyes: ... I don't agree with OSAS, but neither do I think that those who call upon the Lord, participate in the work of the Holy Spirit, are "sealed" in just the way that OSAS proponents say we are. Can you tell that I'm not a big fan of Calvin? Of course, this doesn't mean that I just automatically throw in the towel to Arminius, either.

Sorry, i did read it and knew exactly what you were saying. I just wanted to comment on the one thing you brought up that is often mentioned about loss of salvation as if it can be turned on and of like a light switch.
Those that push that are only doing so to make loss of salvation sound ridiculous, when in fact it is them and them only claiming non OSAS are making that claim, when we are not. It's just another of the many tricks they use. I was not accusing you of using it. :)

Another is "Why do non OSAS always claim a "works" salvation?" Fact is no one does that, it's just another trick to make it look like we are works only oriented, when no one I have ever run across here has ever claimed that...it's faith and works. Another lie about non OSAS, and attempt to make it sound ridiculous. That's the only way they can make their lie work, with other lies and false accusations.

Sorry bout the confusion, it was probably my fault the way I ran with that one part of your post.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sorry, i did read it and knew exactly what you were saying. I just wanted to comment on the one thing you brought up that is often mentioned about loss of salvation as if it can be turned on and of like a light switch.
Those that push that are only doing so to make loss of salvation sound ridiculous, when in fact it is them and them only claiming non OSAS are making that claim, when we are not. It's just another of the many tricks they use. I was not accusing you of using it. :)

Another is "Why do non OSAS always claim a "works" salvation?" Fact is no one does that, it's just another trick to make it look like we are works only oriented, when no one I have ever run across here has ever claimed that...it's faith and works. Another lie about non OSAS, and attempt to make it sound ridiculous. That's the only way they can make their lie work, with other lies and false accusations.

Sorry bout the confusion, it was probably my fault the way I ran with that one part of your post.

No problem. It sounds like we have similar views on this stuff. Thanks for clarifying! :oldthumbsup:

• Agree
Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is like people choose to hear what they want to hear, and make a presumption that that's what we are saying. It does no good to the discussion, it only furthers the divisiveness between Christians.

No where did I say that Christians are forced against their will to be restored. If you came willingly, by grace, to believe, you will continue willingly, by grace, to persevere (Hebrews 6:9; Romans 8:29-30). God will convict and work in the heart of children to repent, even from long periods of certain sins.

I heard exactly what you said and commented on it, so what do you mean by the first sentence there??

And I assure you, this is not simply a matter of causing "divisiveness" between Christians, this is about a false doctrine that can deceive some to Hell, not a mere misunderstanding.

You said God restores them, what if they choose not to be restored? Please stick with the subject, answer it directly, and post any scripture here that you think makes your case so we can go over it here.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Upvote 0

PanDeVida

Feb 21, 2007
✟42,102.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

C Johnson,
Re your title "Can a Christian Lose their Salvation".

Lets put it this way: if Christian is walking along a safe sidewalk the road to heaven, but then decide to cross the "highway of Sin" and there so happens to be a Mac truck/Sins barreling 100+ mph and it hits this Christian, knocks his or her soul right out of their body, he or she is dead, where is this "Christian" Now? I am not judging this person/soul only Jesus Christ Can. However, would we like to be in his or her shoes?

To answer your title, "Can a Christian Lose their Salvation", The answer is YES if you die in that state of Mortal Sin, a Sin that leads to death.

you state: "...if salvation is that easy to lose, why do it"?

Why do we have to WORK for a living? We do it, to have clothes on our backs, a roof over our heads, to put food in our mouths, to have a car, to get married and raise a family, oh the list goes on and on.

If you want the above you have to work for it!

Now what if you don't work for it, where would one be?

It is the same with heaven, YES WE ARE SAVED BY GOD'S GRACE, however, God Only helps those who help themselves, who want to fight the good fight, who want to REMAIN in Him and this takes Faith and Works, one without the other is dead as St. Paul states in Scripture.

To get to heaven is like climbing and climbing a beautiful staircase, however Climbing a staircase especially on a life journey to heaven takes a whole Lot of Work. Yes, it is hard to climb BUT it is so very easy to go down the wide staircase to hell.

I'm sure we all here have climbed up a five-story + building it takes WORK, so it is the same for the road that leads to heaven.

I'm sure we have all gone down a five-story + building, really there is hardly ANY WORK at all to do so, and that is the same way to the road that leads to hell, there is no work involved you can actually fall down so easily because of the gravity of sin, it pulls you down.

C. Johnson, FIGHT the Good Fight, that leads to Heaven with Faith and Works, why? Because We all have to WORK and we all have to have FAITH.

God Bless you on your Journey Home.

Pan De Vida

Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You're flawed. You're sinful. So are we all.

a common statement when it comes to this subject...as if to say we all sin no big deal. But that is not the truth, not "all" of us live in unrepentant sin. We don't live with our girlfriend, we don't, as a rule, party every weekend or whatever, nor are we always up for sinning/ready to go should it come up. Sin is the exception and not the rule for us. We don't plan to sin, as a matter of fact, we plan not to. Huge difference.

However when we sin out of ignorance or out of temptation we get forgiveness and move on. What we don't do is just keep sinning willfully as a rule, become unrepentant and tell ourselves we are saved regardless, so we don't have to worry about what we do.. Those that do so, love their sin more than they do God and what his word tells us we must do.

So you see there is more to it than "we all sin".

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Many are not going to make it. Even those who are against Eternal Security can justify sin. Even those who say you need works of faith as a part of the faith justify sin. We are living in the last days, and everyone is living for themselves, their own pleasures, or living for their own sin and yet, they think they are saved by having a belief on Jesus and by their standard of holiness. But it doesn't work like that. It never did. Jesus says we have to pick up our cross, deny ourselves, and to follow Him. So if you are still holding onto something sinful in your life (it could be inappropriate content, role playing games, secular movies, money, etc.) you have not truly brought forth fruits worthy of your repentance (i.e. Repentance meaning to ask the Lord Jesus to forgive you of your sins). Sure, someone can say a pray of forgiveness, and sure somebody can make up their own rules on holiness, but if we are not truly following God's way of righteousness according to the Bible, we are not going to make it.

Narrow is the way that leads unto life and FEW be there that finds it.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yes of course, Except from a few sects all Christians believe its possible.
Catholics believe in it, orthodox believes in it and so did Luther. The dispute between the catholic church and luther was about the importance of faith vs works and even though Luther empathized faith he stressed the need for faith in Gods promises though Christ our redeemer.
If you lose faith according to Luther you'll also lose your salvation.

OSAS is not Lutheran even thought some link it to him falsely.

I know OSAS is not Lutheran, but do Lutherans believe if a person loses their faith that there is no way back, or do they think one can be saved again?

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey.. "C"... me.. I take God at His word. He can not lie. So.. John sees Christ.. says "behold the lamb of God that takes away the sins of the world". So.. He dies.. rises.. PRAISE GOD GLORY TO JESUS.

So you come to Him repent.. YOUR SAVED! John 3:16-17 Rom 10:9-10.. do you believe that? Then your saved.. you are NOT righteous if you stop sinning. That wont happen. The FLESH is not what got born again. Nothing happened to the flesh. It STILL loves to SIN! Until its changed.. you will like everyone here have problems with sin.

And so MANY still have sins they have problems with.. we all do. The word says..if you say you have no sin you deceive your self and the truth is not in you.. See Christ made a NEW Spirit in you.. so if you take what the WORD says.. THAT which is BORN of GOD does not sin. So then we understand what Paul said.. its no longer I that sin but sin that is in me.

And.. "C" there is NO CONDEMNATION to them in Christ Jesus. So.. you goof up.. you miss it.. just ALWAYS run to HIM.. say sorry.. repent.. try to not do it again and wow MOST OF ALL! Forgive your self.

See.. its NEVER us..its ALL HIM! Think.. His word.. says..put on the whole armor of God. We have the peace of GOD that passes all understanding. We have the JOY of the lord.. be strong in the lord in the power of HIS Might. We have the MIND of Chrsit..

In ALL I just typed.. did you notice NONE of it is YOU! He KNEW THIS! Every answer to your problems is RELAX in HIM! You are covered from head to toe with HIM HIM HIM ...

Reactions: C Johnson
Upvote 0

marineimaging

Texas Baptist now living in Colorado
Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

How is it possible to lose a gift that you did not win? Besides, your life is not over. Not by a long shot. David sinned, but was not lost. Abraham questioned God, but was not lost. Moses killed a man, ran away, could not speak well, married outside his sect, but he was chosen to lead Israel and even though he could not finish the journey he started, he was not lost. Most importantly Paul persecuted believers, chased them down and took them out of their homes, ran them down, was 100 percent convinced that he was doing the will of God, but he was not lost. You are not dead. If you continue believing in Jesus as your Lord and savior, even though you continue to discover you are not perfect and still sin, He is just to forgive over and over. 70 times 70 times...,. If you continue to strive for Jesus you will soon change from doing it for selfish reasons to doing it because of the Love he has for us all. You will stumble. Get up and continue on. You will fall. Get up and continue on. You were not promised perfection when you accepted Jesus. You were promised eternal salvation.

Upvote 0