Can a born-again Christian have a demon?

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,069,959.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
The Apostle Paul told a Christian congregation....

My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you... - Galatians 4:17

If Christ is formed in the character there will be no demonic spirits on the inside. Turn from the Spirit into the flesh then there is much room for evil. I have heard that the devil and the flesh are so akin that it is hard to discern between the two of them.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The Apostle Paul told a Christian congregation....

My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you... - Galatians 4:17

If Christ is formed in the character there will be no demonic spirits on the inside. Turn from the Spirit into the flesh then there is much room for evil. I have heard that the devil and the flesh are so akin that it is hard to discern between the two of them.
However, those who are not yet fully formed are also born again Christians.

The question as to why Paul travails until Christ is formed in them may be relevant to the question in the OP and shed some light.

• Agree
Reactions: rockytopva
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Apparently, according to Matthew 16:23, when we act in our own self interest, Jesus rebukes the devil, not us.

Perhaps the devil that some Born Again Christians "have" is explained in the o wretched man that I am speech in Romans 7.

Jesus did speak of different kinds, and the people of that day did not differentiate between psychological demons or the fallen kind.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Sun!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,138,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh yes we do, there is plenty of evidence in the scripture. For a start he was referred to as a demon (John 6:70) and son of perdition (John 17:12) and he was a thief while he was the keeper of the money bag (John 12:6) and there is the fact that he didn't repent of his sins, but choose to commit suicide. Furthermore he never referred to Jesus as Lord, but rabbi which indicates he never recognized Jesus for who he really was. He didn't really love Jesus, but saw him as a good man & rabbi, but not the savior of the world, otherwise he wouldn't have sold him out for 30 pieces of silver. It would of been better for him if he was never born (Matthew 26:24). All these are signs of an unbeliever (Matthew 7:15-20).

Anyway if you want to read more about Judas, just click here: Was Judas saved?

Yes, I understand that, but I'm under the impression that Judas had been empowered in the Holy Spirit through Christ to Preach the Good News, cast out demons and heal the sick just as had the other 11 first disciples/apostles. And we need to also realize that the Synoptic writers do give a little different slant upon the 'nature' of Judas than does the writer of John's Gospel.

Anyway, this thread isn't about whether Judas was saved or not, but whether demons can inhabit a Christian, and I would say "no," they can not, or at least not until a Christian abjures his faith in Christ.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟795,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Is there any scripture stating that a born-again believer can be indwelled with a demon?
FWIW it is not exactly logical, I think, to try to make the spirit world fit the material laws of physics.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟911,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is there any scripture stating that a born-again believer can be indwelled with a demon?
Welcome! I have been hearing this lately and believe this is just another one of Satan's deceptions. I am sure this is very prevalent in the hyper-charismatic movement where manifestations are rarely discerned and hyper- spirituality is promoted. Paul warned us about such things:

"Let no one keep defrauding you of your prize by delighting in self-abasement and the worship of angels, taking his stand on visions he has seen" (Col. 2:18a, NASB).

Satan will use deception where ever he can. God will allow him to do so because some do not want to know the truth. A Christian who walks in the Holy Spirit is not deceived therefore, cannot be possessed. Best we place our trust in Him fully. In Jesus Christ of Nazareth words:

21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

Blessings

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eha

Jan 6, 2020
Tallinn
✟30,373.00
Country
Estonia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1) Can you be born again, if you do NOT confess
" 2 By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3 and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God." 1 John 4
So - to be born from Spirit, you need to confess Jesus, as God, Who came in flesh to die for yours sin, that you may have life - then you are born again from Spirit? Agree?

Then simple question - CAN you be born again, if you are filled with spirits, that CANT confess "Jesus Christ has come in the flesh"?
If you BORN from Holy Spirit, by CONFESSING Jesus, you CANT be filled with demons, at least NOT that moment.
I do NOT say, it still may happen later, if you believe, as some say - "i am no longer christian - Jesus does not exist"...
It MAY happen.
Even if you do not say to others, hide this belief, and others are not aware of, what is going on.
Can it be?
I believe so.

Upvote 0

Eha

Jan 6, 2020
Tallinn
✟30,373.00
Country
Estonia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
btw - if anyone are time to time FILLED with Holy Spirit - i AM SURE - he cannot be filled with demons.
Because, it is blasphemy to say, that Holy Spirit may fill you, if there are demons - either it wont happen or demons will be GONE at that very moment - our God, Holy Spirit IS God, is God of HOLY FIRE - no demons survive His fire!

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not going to find that many that have seen in the spirit.. born again have a demon. Some will say yes as fact praise GOD.. but no. More like attached. See we filled our home with Christ. Unless one KICKS out Christ.. I just can't see Him sharing.

Seen many delivered where it seems looks as if they had one.. again just attached to them so to speak. If I pray NEVER ..that the devil tries to lie to you about this.. saying "you have one". Its written in GODS word and HE can never lie said who so ever calls on the name of the lord shall be delivered."And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered"

Call on Him.. He will.. not maybe not if you feel it.. but WILL deliver you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Romans 8
9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. 10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. 11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

If you obey Jesus, it's evidence of the new birth.

2 Corinthians 13:5
Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟738,082.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

There is a difference between demonic possession, and oppression. Demonic possession is being controlled, by a demon, to the degree that we no longer have control over our actions. To be possessed of a demon, we must have surrendered control to it through unrepentant sin. Demonic oppression on the other hand occurs to people, including believers, it is a process where by the devil may cause feelings in us, be they oppressive in nature, or some times even positive feelings around asking us to sin. Demonic oppression, can appear physical. Paul as an example suffered a demonic oppression for a time, he was never possessed by the demon just oppressed.

2Co 12:7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

Upvote 0

Randy777

Oct 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟91,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you mean possessed then no. The one in us is greater then any other in the world. A demon is no match, as in strong enough, to drive out the Spirit of Christ in us.

• Agree
Reactions: Eha
Upvote 0

LightLoveHope

Jesus leads us to life
Oct 6, 2018
London
✟79,782.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Sadly there are a number of youtube videos that preach exactly this.
Demon of lust, anger, hatred, addiction etc. while the person is a believer.
They will perform exorcisms, and use this to justify their ministries and belief system.

The Holy Spirit in their view is just one resident in the believer, which is clearly absurd, and a denial of who God is and His authority over the enemy.

Such teaching often goes along with out of body experiences, getting messages from the dead, prophecy whether it is right or wrong, at least you are trying, using christian fortune telling by accessing the spiritual realm etc.

There are passages where people where anointed by the Holy Spirit for a short time, and also tormented by a spirit, as in King Saul

9 As Saul turned to leave Samuel, God changed Saul's heart, and all these signs were fulfilled that day.
10 When they arrived at Gibeah, a procession of prophets met him; the Spirit of God came upon him in power, and he joined in their prophesying.
1 Sam 10:9-10

14 Now the Spirit of the LORD had departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD tormented him.
1 Sam 16:14

Paul said he hand over believers to satan to rebuke them.

20 Among them are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have handed over to Satan to be taught not to blaspheme
1 Tim 1:20

As far as spirits possessing believers, the opposite is true, spirits are cast out and the Lord takes residence in the believers heart.

• Informative
Reactions: Eha
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Contenders Edge

Site Supporter
May 13, 2019
Hayfork
✟167,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not that I'm aware of, really. Judas is the closest we can get to 'seeing' an example of what may appear to be such a case ...

Only Judas never really followed Christ out of any love for Him. (Jn. 12:6)

Upvote 0

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟121,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Only Judas never really followed Christ out of any love for Him. (Jn. 12:6)
That was before Jesus was Resurrected. The consensus is that the indwelling of God's Spirit wasn't possible with His disciples/Apostles until after Jesus ascended to Heaven.

John 14:16
But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.​

A true Spiritually Born Again Believer can't be possessed of a demon, but is possible for an immature believer (unbelieving believer) to be oppressed. One modern trend in some churches is to use Christian psychology (an oxymoron) to "deliver" a Christian from demonic oppression NOT possession.

The premise is that the elder that has been trained to minister deliverance will begin by commanding the demon not to speak. Well, that in itself comes pretty close to implying a demonic possession. It's all psychological and it's possible that the trained elder might not even be Spirit-filled (anointed). He may not even have the Gift of supernatural Knowledge, Wisdom and/or Discernment. The Pastor and board chooses an elder with good people skills with perceptive intuition. Then it may take at least a week or more for his/her (a man for men & a woman for women) training based more on Christian Psychology which in itself is based more on philosophy than the leading of the Holy Spirit ...

James 4:7
But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.​

As a new creation in Christ sinful acts are no longer practiced whether it be lust or gluttony just to mention two. From what i know a person going through this Christian Psychology approach realizes they have to make effort to listen, learn, read their Bible daily and pray as they now not only have to be accountable to the church elders, but more importantly the LORD. In other words in the end it's still up to them by drawing closer than ever in establishing a relationship to their Savior and LORD as friend and deliver.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Read it in Acts5v
1But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession. 2And he kept back part of the proceeds, his wife also being aware of it, and brought a certain part and laid it at the apostles’ feet. 3But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back part of the price of the land for yourself?
Take note, (or as Paul frequently says, 'I would not have you ignorant) Peter states quite categorically that Satan had filled Ananias's heart..
ie, Ananias was indwelt by the biggest of demons!

4While it remained, was it not your own? And after it was sold, was it not in your own control? Why have you conceived this thing in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God.”
Again take note, Ananias had conceived in his heart to lie to the Holy Spirit, and that opened the door for Satan to enter.
The story of Ananias and Sapphira resembles that Adam in the Garden of Eden, also of Judas Iscariot. It invariably starts with Satan or demons whispering thoughts into a man's heart, and that man foolishly agreeing. The rest, as they say, is history! -

Look at the parallel to Ananias in the Passover story-
Jn13v2And supper being ended, the devil having already put it into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon’s son, to betray Him,
So the idea of betrayal is now floating around Judas's heart, but rather like Pharaoh confronted by Moses, a decision is still to be made.

When Jesus informs the disciples he is about to be betrayed, they ask him who it will be.
Jn13v26Jesus answered, “It is he to whom I shall give a piece of bread when I have dipped it.” And having dipped the bread, He gave it to Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon. 27Now after the piece of bread, Satan entered him. Then Jesus said to him, “What you do, do quickly.”
Jesus didn't make the decision for Judas, he merely triggered the timing.
But in that wicked decision of treachery, Judas surrendered completely to Satan who walked straight through that open door.

Back to Ananias.-
5Then Ananias, hearing these words, fell down and breathed his last. So great fear came upon all those who heard these things. 6And the young men arose and wrapped him up, carried him out, and buried him.
Ananias and his wife had no excuse. They were right at the start of the mightiest move of God since the miracles around the Exodus and Jericho. God dealt with them like he did Achan.

Now I know people will be scrabbling around trying to prove that Ananias was not a believer, but that's shear nonsense.
1). If Ananias was not a believer, then this is a complete non story. Non believers blaspheme God every day by rejecting the convicting power of the Holy Spirit. And that blasphemy is unforgivable till they repent and turn to God. The issue of lying about a property value is utterly irrelevant when compared to eternal life.

2). The previous chapter sets the context of what Ananias did. (Don't forget, chapters and verses are a modern addition to your bibles.)

Thus Ananias and Sapphira are included in the activity of the saints described below.-
Acts4v32Now the multitude of those who believed were of one heart and one soul;
The multitude of saints included these two foolish believers.
neither did anyone say that any of the things he possessed was his own, but they had all things in common.

33And with great power the apostles gave witness to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And great grace was upon them all. 34Nor was there anyone among them who lacked; for all who were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of the things that were sold, 35and laid them at the apostles’ feet; and they distributed to each as anyone had need.

36And Joses, who was also named Barnabas by the apostles (which is translated Son of Encouragement), a Levite of the country of Cyprus, 37having land, sold it, and brought the money and laid it at the apostles’ feet.
And as part of this movement of the saints Ananias did the same, only he was not whole hearted!
There is absolutely no evidence to say he was not a born again believer when he submitted to Satan's whispers!

In contrast Judas was godless and unregenerate. He had all the chances in the world to repent, but never did.
Jesus included Judas to fulfill a certain role, just as God chose Pharaoh for a certain role. In both cases God knew what they would do without forcing them to do it.

For reference, I have been involved in the deliverance ministry for 40 years, and have cast demons out countless times.
In all cases, I cast them out of born again, spirit filled Christians.
Christians who are not Spirit filled generally don't believe in demons, so they never ask for help and remain bound.
Non believers likewise, never seek help for deliverance. Why would they?

Upvote 0