✟10,805.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi everyone,

I don't know if this is the right forum section but I'm planning to digitalize our old VHS tapes and also buy some and play them. I like the nostalgia :)

I was thinking about buying some pre-recorded VHS tapes with shows and news and sport etc. from people who sell these online at Ebay for example.

As far as I know, recording from TV is allowed by Fair Use, but you're not allowed to sell them. Is it illegal if I buy a pre-recorded VHS from the 90s today? Just want to make sure I won't do anything illegal :)

Yours sincerly,

Jorn

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi everyone,

I don't know if this is the right forum section but I'm planning to digitalize our old VHS tapes and also buy some and play them. I like the nostalgia :)

I was thinking about buying some pre-recorded VHS tapes with shows and news and sport etc. from people who sell these online at Ebay for example.

As far as I know, recording from TV is allowed by Fair Use, but you're not allowed to sell them. Is it illegal if I buy a pre-recorded VHS from the 90s today? Just want to make sure I won't do anything illegal :)

Yours sincerly,

Jorn
I don't know what the law in the Netherlands is concerning this. Why purchase VHS tapes though, if the content is available for purchase on DVD or Blu-Ray?

Reactions: Jorn
Upvote 0

Jorn

Nov 15, 2018
Elsloo
✟10,805.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't know what the law in the Netherlands is concerning this. Why purchase VHS tapes though, if the content is available for purchase on DVD or Blu-Ray?

It's a recording from 1988 the EURO Soccer Final, presumably with post-match interviews etc. so not available on DVD :)

What I've read is that it's illegal to sell recorded VHS tapes but that buying them is not illegal. Let's say there are various views :)

But let's say it's also illegal to buy them, would you consider it a sin if I buy the tape?

I mean, the licence owners NOS and UEFA aren't harmed or anything when that tape gets sold, but on the other side if it's illegal then rules are rules I'd say.

Upvote 0