But we are better people?

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,930.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Jesus was the best person and he grew up talking to the elders. As a man he was learned and addressed people needing healing, body and mind, the lepers, those tormented by unclean spirits, adults and little ones, tax collectors and prostitutes and also the Pharisees. People today unwittingly become Pharisees. They hate sinners, see themselves as a better more classy people, dealing out rejection and harsh treatment, long sentences on sinners, laughing about their own faults. These are grand children of Christians who do not want to learn forgiving, loving enemies, counsel, ministry... it seems they'd like grace to come from the reputable to the reputable and they may not repent themselves, proud of themselves. Are they better people? What can one say to them? They hear a testimony of a life changed and they may be angry that a sinner gains grace and gets a good wife or husband...

Last edited:

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, I have been able to just criticize others and not have compassion and hope for them. And I did not look at myself and see how I was being self-righteous, which Jesus could consider worse than what the people I was criticizing were doing. But it helped me to meet and share with Christians who were humble and kind and caring, and I could see that they were how I needed to become. So, their example did help me. God uses example.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Jesus was the best person and he grew up talking to the elders. As a man he was learned and addressed people needing healing, body and mind, the lepers, those tormented by unclean spirits, adults and little ones, tax collectors and prostitutes and also the Pharisees. People today unwittingly become Pharisees. They hate sinners, see themselves as a better more classy people, dealing out rejection and harsh treatment, long sentences on sinners, laughing about their own faults. These are grand children of Christians who do not want to learn forgiving, loving enemies, counsel, ministry... it seems they'd like grace to come from the reputable to the reputable and they may not repent themselves, proud of themselves. Are they better people? What can one say to them? They hear a testimony of a life changed and they may be angry that a sinner gains grace and gets a good wife or husband...
I think one potential problem has do with thinking that faith stands in for righteousness or frees us from its obligation--which isn't true. Anyway, Gandhi once said, “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

I don't think that should be dismissed easily, but rather should give us some pause for reflection.

Upvote 0

RoBo1988

Sep 3, 2021
Dayton OH
✟93,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you not including yourself in this description? If not, perhaps a testimony of how you have been delivered; that would certainly inspire me.

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,930.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Are you not including yourself in this description? If not, perhaps a testimony of how you have been delivered; that would certainly inspire me.
I think of Psalm 40 and King David is freed, testifies, people fear God, he needs more freedom yet, people challenge him with "aha aha".

I had a rough up bringing, I need freedom, at my time of rising I was crushed by a bigot who at first had my trust. But I still tried. I was given encouraging words of knowledge. Assuring me I was born again. I had at first read from a Catholic Bible Galatians 5 for, when you are out for a good time. But got some bad as well as good. I heard from Joyce Meyer of 3-5 years, recovering from one's past. It was stubbed out.

But I sought the power of the cross once and got a break. Had a vision, made commitments, a renewed sense of honour. I judged myself and found myself unwell and repented and during an operation had another vision. The next year my conscience active again I fasted from sin and was broken free from an area of sin during a Christian conference and that was 13, 1/2 years ago. That freedom enabled me to change my thought life and give up more sin. I need to learn to hear God and receive grace at home.

I do not know what I'd be like if I had a nice up bringing. Proud or spiritually leaning?

Upvote 0

RoBo1988

Sep 3, 2021
Dayton OH
✟93,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good testimony. Philippians 1:6 says that The Lord will continue to work in a person, that is willing to yield to his will and spirit.

I was raised Lutheran, catechized, confirmed, and then went worldy for about a dozen years, before I received salvation in 1988 ( hence the "1988" in my handle)

It was just about 2 years ago The Lord convicted me of regarding others according to the flesh 2 Corinthians 5:16 instead of looking at them as sheep having no shepherd Mark 6:34 as I once was, myself.

If we are to be imitators of Jesus, we are to be doing good Acts 10:38 and speaking truth when necessary; that can be part of the healing process for us.

Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am not completely free of this kind of thinking, but growing up outside the faith I did some horrible things that God has forgiven me and cleansed me of. Therefore, I have a certain level of humility, remembering what I was before Christ (as well as some things I've done since), that gives me a tendency to be more forgiving of other's faults. Again, I still struggle with this when someone does something I find abhorrent, but God is always working on me and I usually am able to forgive and act with kindness.

Reactions: RoBo1988
Upvote 0