• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Bush acknowledges secret CIA prisons

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Nightson, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Nightson

Nightson Take two snuggles and call me in the morning

+225
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14689359/?GT1=8506

I thought these were supposed to be nothing more than liberal lies as well. Guess not.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. AirPo

AirPo with a Touch of Grey

+7,091
    Atheist
    Married
    From the CIA to Gitmo. Is that an upgrade?

3. horuhe00

horuhe00 Contributor

+186
    Puerto Rico
    Non-Denom
    Married
    It's like when they admitted that Area 51 exists.

However, to those who care about human rights, these "secret prisons" have a lot of explaining to do. For starters, just exactly WHY does the United States NEED a secret prison outside of the United States?

4. steelerguy99

steelerguy99 Defeator De Stupidus

+15
    Christian
    I am glad that they have secret prisons. I am sure there are valid reasons for it i.e. the same reasons they use GITMO

5. PACKY

PACKY Contributor

+346
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    There is a very fitting quote:

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell -

it is these same men/women who serve their country and are willing to die for it that give YOU teh right to sit in front of your Electronic soapbox and bash the nation and its policy...

Sleep well!

6. blueapplepaste

blueapplepaste the purpose of life is a life of purpose

+751
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Others
    I'm not! America was founded on the principal of a transparent government that was accountable to the people. Bush and his secret prisons are chiseling away those very principals. I'm astonished that there are people who actually think this is a good thing.

7. Nightson

+225
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    A George Orwell quote used in support of totalitarian practices. I do believe I have now seen everything.

8. Vylo

Vylo Stick with the King!

+4,693
    Atheist
    US-Others
    Why exactly do they use Gitmo again? Honestly I am a bit curious on that. Gitmo is a far cry from a secret prison though. When people start dissappearing is when the government is overstepping its boundaries.

9. steelerguy99

steelerguy99 Defeator De Stupidus

+15
    Christian
    What are you talking about?
    If these were citizens, then you would have a legitimate point
    But these are enemy combatants that weren't caught on US soil and hence do not have the same protections

10. Vylo

Vylo Stick with the King!

+4,693
    Atheist
    US-Others
    Indeed this is true, but why not simply hold them as PoWs?

11. JustOneWay

JustOneWay :)

+6,179
    Lutheran
    Private
    You are right, they dont have the same protections as Americans....they have the protections of the Geneva Conventions

12. Sycophant

Sycophant My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

+263
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Others
    Prisons, no problem.

Why do they need to be secret? Why must the government be able to hold people without anyone knowing about it?

13. PACKY

PACKY Contributor

+346
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Your welcome!!! :thumbsup:

14. PACKY

PACKY Contributor

+346
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    are you talking about the American Goverment?

or the New Zealand goverment?

15. FredSmith

FredSmith Well-Known Member

+274
    Christian
    As Club Gitmo is considered to be U.S. soil, technically, it is not outside of the U.S.

16. Sycophant

Sycophant My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

+263
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Others
    The American one.

My government barely seems to be able to build enough prisons for the normal prisoners, let alone maintaining secret ones all over the world.

To people supporting the US administration's use of secret prison facilities - why? Why aren't normal prisons enough, or even somewhere like Gitmo?

As for Gitmo - I always understood that US law applied to US government facilities internationally (embassies, military bases etc) so why to US rights not apply to those held at Gitmo? Is that 'US Soil abroad' concept simply urban legend?

17. FredSmith

FredSmith Well-Known Member

+274
    Christian
    And that's the point that's constantly lost on the left.

They love to make it sound like these guys were just sitting at the Starbucks in downtown Iowa City sipping a latte, when President Bush personally burst in and kidnapped them.

That's just not so. These men were captured on the field of battle trying or conspiring to kill American soldiers.

The Constitution details the rights the government has in dealing with U.S. citizens in criminal or civil cases.

This is neither. It's war.

18. marshlewis

marshlewis Well-Known Member

+167
    Atheist
    There are long established laws to deal with prisoners during war. The US government with the support of the logically challanged does not follow these laws. This is not war, its facisim.

19. JustOneWay

JustOneWay :)

+6,179
    Lutheran
    Private
    If it is war, they are afforded rights under the Geneva Conventions....now Bush is trying to get congress to pass laws that say the "enemy combatants" cant sue America for the inhumane treatment and torture methods.

20. Nightson

+225
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Democrat