Burning the Koran bad?

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
brewmama said:
Then why did they help and sponsor Al-Qaeda?

They didn't.

To some extent AQ financially sponsored the Taliban. Not the other way around.

The Taliban declined to give what help they could to getting Bin Laden out of Afghanistan because (a) they felt any trial needed to be in an Islamic country, while the US wouldn't even agree to the Hague, and (b) to some extent because he was giving them some much needed money.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
WinBySurrender said:
Peace and stability are achieved through ignored rape, terrorist extremism and barbaric marital and psychosocial practices? Really??

The Taliban government was far from perfect - and they admit they made lots of mistakes. But it bought more peace and stability to the country than any other government was able to for a very long time.

Upvote 0

WinBySurrender

Dec 27, 2011
✟4,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Taliban government was far from perfect - and they admit they made lots of mistakes. But it bought more peace and stability to the country than any other government was able to for a very long time.
Oh, for cryin' out loud! What are you smoking? The Taliban did in fact sponsor al-Qaeda, allowing bin Laden to train his 9/11 hijackers at a half dozen different terrorist training camps in Afghanistan. They are also responsible for some of the most repressive regimes in the history of the world. How can you apologize for them when they have allowed women who were raped to go to prison because they were raped? That's just one example. "Made a lot of mistakes"? That's got to be the understatement of the year! Peace and stability were foreign thoughts under the Taliban. The truth of that statement is found in the number of civilians who were willing to take up arms against them after the NATO invasion.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
WinBySurrender said:
Oh, for cryin' out loud! What are you smoking? The Taliban did in fact sponsor al-Qaeda, allowing bin Laden to train his 9/11 hijackers at a half dozen different terrorist training camps in Afghanistan.
The Taliban were no more able to control A-Q than the US or Saudi. They don't have and never had a fraction of the resources that would take.

They are also responsible for some of the most repressive regimes in the history of the world.
Not remotely as repressive as its been portrayed in the west.

How can you apologize for them when they have allowed women who were raped to go to prison because they were raped? That's just one example. "Made a lot of mistakes"? That's got to be the understatement of the year! Peace and stability were foreign thoughts under the Taliban. The truth of that statement is found in the number of civilians who were willing to take up arms against them after the NATO invasion.
Not for long and not in the south.

The US basically backed the loosing side in a civil war. It's not surprising that the backers of that side backed the US invasion initially.

The US backed government has been massively corrupt and desparetly ineffectual. The Taliban government had virtually zero corruption and achieved a remarkable amount considering they had less money to spend in a year than the US spends there in a day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

All Englands Skies

Christian-Syndicalist
Nov 4, 2008
Midlands
✟221,157.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
A flipping book? You guys consider the Bible the same thing as Jesus Christ. The "Word of God". Is the Bible just a flippin book?

Just because you reject Islam, doesn't mean they don't exalt the Koran to the same level as you view the Bible.

Man, the point you're making would hold some weight if when a bible is defaced, people started murderering, rioting and assassinating people over it.

So what are you doing, man, the point the guy was making is over people killing over the book being defaced and in response it sounds like your Sanctioning the violent actions, because the Holy Book was importent to them.

I am sure its just the way it was worded that made it seem that way, but still, come on man!

If someone is proud of the Neighbourhood gardens and one guy keeps his garden messy and lowers the tone of the rest of the area upsetting the proud gardener, whos gardening is his life and the proud guy went and gunned him down over it, is it justiified the guy murdering him, "because his garden was a mess"?

I know this is a silly and far fetched example, but its the only way I convey the message that while it was wrong that the Qurans were burnt because of the sensetivities surrounding the Muslims holy book, its heavily outweighed by the murderers and those fueled by vengeance over it, the quran burning should be a mere shadow to the nutcase response to it.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This whole incident sends a strong message, we need to get out of there. We are helping people that in the end will go against us ... Iraqis as well. In there hearts, the world converted to Islam is their goal.
As far as anyone burning their books, don't bother, Jesus will do that when He returns! Revenge is mine, says the Lord!
I hadn't planned to burn books. Come to think of it, would that be so bad? If some churches had a big beach fire, people could bring books they felt were occult related? After all, some in the early church did. Did they stop because 'Jesus will do that when He returns'. No.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
dad said:
I hadn't planned to burn books. Come to think of it, would that be so bad? If some churches had a big beach fire, people could bring books they felt were occult related? After all, some in the early church did. Did they stop because 'Jesus will do that when He returns'. No.

If and only if those books are irreplaceable and worth a year's salary each it'll be compatible to the early church.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If and only if those books are irreplaceable and worth a year's salary each it'll be compatible to the early church.
No. The market price of books at this or that time is not what the issue is. If they were more expensive that should only make it harder to part with, to be able to burn. Now that they are cheap...a party is easy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Whatever your generalized Islamic demonizjng might suggest, the (afghan) Taliban have no interest in the rest of the world - their objectives were always simple to bring some peace and stability to their own country through Sharia law.
NATO would disagree with you. You have been fooled by propaganda that wants to win the Afghans over with a new peaceful code of conduct --less suicide bombing, etc.
" Taliban leader Mullah Mohammad Omar took a similar hard line in orders to insurgents that NATO forces said they intercepted in early June.
Mullah Omar urged fighters to kill anyone working with international forces or the Afghan government, including women, according to NATO."Huff Post World; MATIULLAH ACHAKZAI

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Ronald said:
NATO would disagree with you.
Of course they would.

You have been fooled by propaganda that wants to win the Afgans over with a new peaceful code of conduct --less suicide bombing, etc.
" Taliban leader Mullah Mohammad Omar took a similar hard line in orders to insurgents that NATO forces said they intercepted in early June.
Mullah Omar urged fighters to kill anyone working with international forces or the Afghan government, including women, according to NATO."Huff Post World; MATIULLAH ACHAKZAI
None of that is about influencing the outside world. It's about getting imperial forces out of his country.

Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Of course they would.

None of that is about influencing the outside world. It's about getting imperial forces out of his country.

OK, defend the Taliban and Islam ... I forget ... we are supposed to be tolerant. If you went over there and preached the gospel to the Taliban, they'd probably cut your head and send back to your family. But go ahead and be nice and tolerant, we'll see how long that last. You think 9/11 was something, much more devastation is coming. They have cells within the US that are just waiting for the right time, when Iran and Syria make a move, with the Muslim Brotherhood, you'll see. Then, I'll ask you if you've changed your perspective and when it's at your door, I'll if you are still tolerant. Oh, but you are in Australia, maybe they won't mess with you too much over there?

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Ronald said:
OK, defend the Taliban and Islam ... I forget ... we are supposed to be tolerant. If you went over there and preached the gospel to the Taliban, they'd probably cut your head and send back to your family. But go ahead and be nice and tolerant, we'll see how long that last. You think 9/11 was something, much more devastation is coming. They have cells within the US that are just waiting for the right time, when Iran and Syria make a move, with the Muslim Brotherhood, you'll see. Then, I'll ask you if you've changed your perspective and when it's at your door, I'll if you are still tolerant. Oh, but you are in Australia, maybe they won't mess with you too much over there?

Sorry, but you've been sold a pack of ....

There are Islamic groups with international agendas - like Al-Qaeda, JI, to a limited extent the TTP.

But the TTT have strictly national aims - the bulk of which are good.

But they have been consistently misunderstood and misrepresented by the west who have been unable/unwilling to understand the afghan situation, the Pastun culture and what the Taliban have actually done.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Luke disagrees with you - he points put their enormous value.
False I never argued that they used to have a higher value. Strawman. If we burned some rare evo books like this one, it also would be expensive..so?

"A first edition of Charles Darwin's 'On the Origin of Species' was auctioned off for £103,000 today "

Darwin's 'On The Origin Of Species' sells for £103,000 at auction on 150th anniversary of publication | Mail Online

The party of the burned books was after the event where people got the uknowwhat beat out of them by a man that had real demons in him. They did not decide to have a book marshmallow roast party just to see how much money they could waste. Ridiculous. They had one no matter how much it cost.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
It seems we have different opinions on how to read texts - I take it for granted that when a careful writer like luke tells as something like the value it's because that matters - its the light in which we need to understand the action.

We would know the books were valuable without him telling us - because all books were. But he draws our attention to it for a reason.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It seems we have different opinions on how to read texts - I take it for granted that when a careful writer like luke tells as something like the value it's because that matters - its the light in which we need to understand the action.

We would know the books were valuable without him telling us - because all books were. But he draws our attention to it for a reason.
The value was of note but not why something was destroyed. The event that came right before that explains a motive. Fear. But one poster I asked about this on this thread and he would not be honest and admit whether he actually believed in real demons and demon possession or not. So that poster might need to grasp for some other motive I guess.

Upvote 0

WinBySurrender

Dec 27, 2011
✟4,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Taliban were no more able to control A-Q than the US or Saudi. They don't have and never had a fraction of the resources that would take.
They invited bin Laden to set up shop in Afghanistan. They gave him money from their opium profits to finance the 9/11 attacks. They spent the rest of that money imprisoning their own people under a hardline Sha'ria law that had not one inch of give in it, with punishment automatically being the maximum allowable. You're smoking some good stuff if you think those turban-charged airheads weren't in control of things over there.
Not remotely as repressive as its been portrayed in the west.
Oh, puh-leeze! I can't believe you actually posted that drivel.
Not for long and not in the south.
Again, drivel. Kandahar was liberated with a combination of British Special Forces, US air power and armed Afghani resistance fighters. Read something besides left-wing blogs occasionally, please.
The US basically backed the loosing side in a civil war. It's not surprising that the backers of that side backed the US invasion initially.

The US backed government has been massively corrupt and desparetly ineffectual. The Taliban government had virtually zero corruption and achieved a remarkable amount considering they had less money to spend in a year than the US spends there in a day.
"Zero corruption"??? Is that what you call financing terror and tyranny with opium money? :doh: How much do you think opium brings in in a day? Trust me, its nearly as much as the US spends on the war.

I'd like a straight answer from you on this: Why are you apologizing for a terrrorist organization? Are you that severely brain-washed by the left that you think what you're spouting is the truth??

Upvote 0