• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Featured Burning bridges

Discussion in 'Christian Advice' started by ChicanaRose, Jan 12, 2020.

1. ChicanaRose

ChicanaRose Well-Known Member

+1,308
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    “Failing well means ending something that is not working and choosing to do something else better.”
    ― Henry Cloud, Necessary Endings.

If you are the type that is reluctant to burn bridges, in what areas have you, or are willing to make an exception? How did you, or will you gain peace from the Lord about it?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Cross Over the Lake

Cross Over the Lake Member

+114
    United States
    Baptist
    Divorced
    US-Republican
    When I think about “burning bridges” I think about times I have mistreated someone to the point where they were no longer there for me. I don’t really treat people like that anymore. If you are talking about distancing yourself from somebody because the relationship is unhealthy I’m all about that. I don’t like “burning a bridge” with these people though so I can be there for them in the future.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. crossnote

crossnote Berean Supporter

+1,140
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    I'm quick to burn bridges, I carry matches, a stick of dynamite and a blow torch in my back pocket.

4. ChicanaRose

+1,308
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Yes, like when you distance yourself from someone...and you don't mean to cut that person completely out of your life, but that person would not respect the distance. Then you have no choice to but to burn bridges.

Do people not use this metaphor anymore?

5. Cross Over the Lake

Cross Over the Lake Member

+114
    United States
    Baptist
    Divorced
    US-Republican
    Everyone’s situation is different. What the other person does with the distance is out of my control. Sometimes it’s for the best.

6. paul1149

paul1149 that your faith might rest in the power of God Supporter

+3,905
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican
    When I was younger I clung to some very important but seriously messed-up relationships (family). I felt I "should", and even the Bible seemed to insist I did, and I was too damaged spiritually to see things clearly. But finally I reached a breaking point where I just "knew" that I could not countenance the situation any longer, and I walked. I had vacillated back and forth, in and out of the relationship, in pain for years, but ironically once I had made that determination from the heart I had peace, and I have had it ever since, with a strong conviction that I did the right thing. If I had it to do over again, I would have walked much sooner. There was no repentance on their part, or even admission of wrongdoing, and they were attacking me terribly, putting everything on me. Now I understand that the commandment to honor parents has limitations. IOW, I'm a lot healthier than i was back then.

How to get to that point as quickly as possible? The best I can say is to stay in the Word, which as we receive its revelation will make us free. Once I had a clearer picture of the incalculable value of the Sacrifice made for me, I saw that no other relationship, even that with parents, had the right to hold me in bondage. Jesus even says we have to hate our parents.

Once you get it, it becomes much easier. You will have learned to hold relationships more loosely - with an open palm, as is said - rather than clinging tightly. God alone deserves unconditional, unmitigated loyalty. We serve and are loyal to others only in light of our relationship with Him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. LaBèlla

LaBèlla ❤️ Supporter

+5,827
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    That’s a great book! :)

If I detect the impossibility of sharing life with someone I aim to part amicably. Sometimes you grow apart or you’re pursuing a course that’s incompatible. But these aren’t predicated on a breach. Life happens.

Endings are another matter. There’s a violation which compromises a boundary, threatens my person or calling in a negative way. Permitting a second occurrence is not an option.

I have a zero tolerance policy on privacy. There’s no airing of dirty laundry or secrets. Defamation of character is unredeemable. It encroaches upon His territory and redirects the focus from His work to foolishness.

That’s a reputational risk I can’t accept. And I won’t renew the connection.

~Bella

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. jahel

jahel Well-Known Member

+202
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    Look what happened to the Canaanites fi

9. ChicanaRose

+1,308
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Yes. Situations with family members are complicated, as bridges exist by a default of blood or adoptive relationship. Yet even then, there are limitations. Your advice is biblical.

10. crossnote

crossnote Berean Supporter

+1,140
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    I've been around since '48 and know exactly what you meant by burning bridges. My poetic license is part of my bridge burning arsenal :) (That is, people end up hating me for it as they easily misunderstand).

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  11. ChicanaRose

+1,308
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Yes, in these instances, I don't burn bridges, while I may not necessarily be inclined to call them up to chat anymore.

Yes, these would be compelling reasons to burn bridges, especially the threat to one's calling. It is a distinctively-Christian reason.

12. LaBèlla

LaBèlla ❤️ Supporter

+5,827
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    As we surrender more of ourselves to Him, He makes His wishes known. We’ll have a sense of the associations He blesses and those He compels us to set aside. :)

We all have a place in the body. But if your calling involves the public. You must be prudent about your associations. The Internet and social media have brought about changes. We’ve seen the fallout of smear campaigns, viral rants and deceptive stories that inspired mob action.

Once upon a time people took a drive or walk to cool off. Now they get on Facebook and Insta. They tell the world what’s bothering them and who did it. And people feed on that.

~Bella

13. ChicanaRose

+1,308
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    So true.

As burning bridges is never completely mess-free, it's probably better to learn whom I should not build bridges with in the first place.

14. ChicanaRose

+1,308
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    It makes sense to be on guard.

15. Michie

Michie Human rights begin in the womb. Supporter

+26,168
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    I have burnt bridges but I tend to simply try to separate if possible. There are times in life we have to do these things.

16. ChicanaRose

+1,308
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Yes, naturally drifting away is the most damage-free way to part.

When my distancing is not respected, that's when I feel the need to burn the bridges...

...although I will not understand why anyone would want a human relationship that is not mutual.

relationship-quotes-4-1024x1024.png

17. ChicanaRose

+1,308
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Hi Jahel. Nice seeing you again :)
    Can you elaborate on the Canaanites comment?

18. public hermit

public hermit Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,885
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    I'm very reluctant to burn bridges. If I have a falling out with someone I am usually ready to reconcile quickly. Usually, if the bridge is burned it has been on the other person's initiative. Even then, if they are ready to reconcile, I am usually open to it. As far as having the peace of the Lord about it, if the situation is bad I am already in constant prayer about it. By the time things are broken off, I know I am open to reconciliation and so I take it as God's will and let it be.

That being said, I am very picky with whom I form close relationships with. If I sense a person is toxic I will try to melt away and limit my exposure to them. I'm not so desperate for relationship that I am willing to engage no matter what. In other words, I try to make good choices on the front end.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. ChicanaRose

+1,308
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    That's the best. :oldthumbsup:

20. Michie

Michie Human rights begin in the womb. Supporter

+26,168
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    I tend to feel guilty about it even if it is a gradual drifting away. I think public hermit is right in being very selective in who you engage with but there are many situations where it is unavoidable too.