Burn powdered boron instead of hydrogen or oil!

eclipsenow

Scripture is God's word, Science is God's works
Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟143,058.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
EV's are great for short distances. I readily concede that EV's cover 95% of our trips. It's not the distance that is the problem, it's the cost. Even the Tesla family car is going to be around $40k.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jaymcgregor/2014/03/31/tesla-to-offer-affordable-cars-by-2015/
Even with electricity at about half the price of oil per km, that's still expensive to me.

Still, I hope that battery prices can drop to my kind of range, as cheaper batteries would be useful across a range of applications. Really cheap electricity storage is the holy grail for *so* many reasons, but I just don't know if we're going to get there.
In the meantime, boron cars would have a slightly different engine but should be around today's car prices. The fuel would be *much* cheaper! So cheap you could buy the initial boron for your car (about $200, or over $400 for 2 lots), and then recycle that for ever by just mailing it to your country's first boron recycler. Even with the cost of mail & de-rusting it would be cheaper than petroleum. It solves the chicken-and-egg problem of early adopter cars in a country without the fuelling system to run them.

As the boron economy eventually grew you would just swap the boron over at your local garage or shops, and eventually sell the spare tub back, or keep it in your garage for a blackout. Hydrogen leaks terribly and can explode. Boron only burns in a super-oxygenated environment. It's *safe*, so you can store it for years. Your car could operate as a backup power station during blackouts, which is not that big a deal here but in Canada could be the difference between life and death in a snowstorm.
It would solve energy security, climate change, air pollution and associated health costs, and deliver clean driving in clean cities with a far safer fuel. I'm a fan.

Now I'll hand you over to Dr James Hansen. Enjoy.

Boron-Powered Cars and Greenwash,

Blees properly ridicules FutureGen, commonly dubbed NeverGen, as a greenwash construction of the coal industry, intended to make it look like they were working on cleaning up their horrendous environmental damage.

Blees suggests that hydrogen-powered cars are a greenwash of the oil and auto industries, while they continue to stick us with gas-guzzlers. That charge may be too strong, but it seems fair to say that they have not been looking at alternative vehicles as hard as they should have been. Also I need to point out a possible personal bias: I have been driving a hydrogen-powered car over the past two weeks [a BMW executive recognized me on an airplane and offered a free trial – for the first time I can look my Mercedes-driving lawyer friends on the level, even though it was just a trial – don’t get excited, the hydrogen cars are not for sale, would be very expensive if they were, and there was only one place, in Jersey City boondocks, where I could fill it up.

Blees thinks that there is a superior alternative to hydrogen. Here is the basis of the idea. If a metal is ground into fine enough dust, nanoparticles, it will burn. We could burn iron-dust in our cars, capture the rust-dust, take the rust home, and cook it to drive the oxygen off, thus recovering our initial iron dust, which we then could use to power our car on its next trip. We supply energy at the time of cooking. Iron is just the energy carrier.

So iron dust is an alternative to hydrogen as an energy carrier to power our post-fossil-fuel cars. Iron dust (unlike hydrogen) has the advantage of being non-explosive, but (among other things) it is heavy and gets heavier as rust. Enter a better idea: boron. It is much more energy dense than iron: it takes a quart of boron to match the energy in a gallon of gasoline. A tank (box) of boron would cost a few hundred dollars, but you only need to buy one tankful, when you buy your car. After that you just take the boron oxide to a store, a Seven-Eleven would be happy to serve, and trade it in for a box of boron (anyone can handle this material). Blees figures that processing boron oxide back to boron would cost only tens of cents. Even if he is too optimistic (or if Exxon/Mobil sees to it that he is put 6-foot under – they are not likely to appreciate competition from Seven-Eleven), it should be much cheaper than gasoline. If the processing from B2O3 back to B is done with carbon-free electricity, it takes care of the carbon emissions problem. Blees, as you might guess, envisages the energy coming from IFR nuclear plants.

O.K., let’s go back a step. It is widely agreed that electric cars can be a solution for a piece of vehicular needs, and plug-in hybrid-electrics are a partial solution for the remaining piece. We should start with those technologies because they are ready to go, and batteries will improve, even though it has been slow going. But we must have something other than gasoline for complementing the electric part. Hydrogen, used in a fuel cell as opposed to being burned in an internal combustion engine, has the great advantage of emitting only water vapor as an exhaust product. Hydrogen could be produced at remote sites where renewable energy, such as wind or solar, is plentiful (or by IFR). But it has technological challenges, as described well in Science a few years ago, and more so in Joe Romm’s book, The Hype About Hydrogen.

Automakers have been working hard on hydrogen for several years. Some of the technological problems must have been solved. All I can say is that the hydrogen-BMW drove great, better than any car I have ever owned, with enough getty-up for even a Texas cowboy (I am not a Texas cowboy). The car also had a gasoline tank, to avoid stranding with no hydrogen, and at push of a button switched seamlessly between hydrogen and gas.

In dismissing hydrogen Blees relies in part on a note by Tromp et al. (Science, 2003) suggesting that hydrogen leakage might threaten the stratospheric ozone layer. But Michael Prather (Science 302, 581, 2003) looked harder and found that it is unlikely to be a problem with realistic hydrogen leakage rates. There are greater challenges for hydrogen, though.

Getting the price of hydrogen vehicles down to a reasonable level is a big challenge and there would need to be a distribution system analogous to gas stations, perhaps replacing them. Boron must have challenges too, but maybe less. Blees says the boron must burn in pure oxygen, which requires miniaturization of an oxygen supply system for the car. I wonder if collecting the boron oxide and converting it back to pure boron is as simple as claimed? Also, the product of hydrogen (in a fuel cell) is water vapor, which we do not have to worry about. That is the big draw of hydrogen: zero pollution. I wonder if we can burn boron without tailpipe pollution?

Bottom line: Blees has stimulating, revolutionary vision. The jury is still out on hydrogen vs boron vs something else. But I am confident that there are better alternatives than fossil fuels. It is time to start working much harder on such alternatives.”
http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/mailings/20080804_TripReport.pdf

Download the free book here that outlines more wonderful things about the boron economy, describes plasma burners that convert ordinary household waste into most of the ingredients required to build the next house and car and boat, and even details nuclear-waste-eating breeder reactors like the GenIV Integral Fast Reactor.
Free book "Prescription for the planet" here
http://www.thesciencecouncil.com/pdfs/P4TP4U.pdf

whois

rational
Mar 7, 2015
✟3,336.00
Faith
Non-Denom
why not use biotechnology to power our cars?
enter ATP synthase.
as far as i know, this molecule produces 0% pollution in any form.
as far as i can tell, this is a catalytic reaction, the hydrogen ions are transferred from one area to another through the molecule, and can work in reverse.
the hydrogen is not used in the process, only to turn the machine.
ADP enters the molecule and is converted to ATP.
the ATP is used as the power source breaking down into ADP and a phosphorous atom.
all 3 of these compounds can be reused, they aren't "used up" like gasoline or coal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATP_synthase

Last edited:
Upvote 0

[serious]

'As we treat the least of our brothers...' RIP GA
Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
why not use biotechnology to power our cars?
enter ATP synthase.
as far as i know, this molecule produces 0% pollution in any form.
as far as i can tell, this is a catalytic reaction, the hydrogen ions are transferred from one area to another through the molecule, and can work in reverse.
the hydrogen is not used in the process, only to turn the machine.
ADP enters the molecule and is converted to ATP.
the ATP is used as the power source breaking down into ADP and a phosphorous atom.
all 3 of these compounds can be reused, they aren't "used up" like gasoline or coal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATP_synthase
That's old tech:

Bicycle-Ride1_bc23d43576.jpg

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
EV's are great for short distances. I readily concede that EV's cover 95% of our trips. It's not the distance that is the problem, it's the cost. Even the Tesla family car is going to be around $40k.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jaymcgregor/2014/03/31/tesla-to-offer-affordable-cars-by-2015/
Even with electricity at about half the price of oil per km, that's still expensive to me.

Still, I hope that battery prices can drop to my kind of range, as cheaper batteries would be useful across a range of applications. Really cheap electricity storage is the holy grail for *so* many reasons, but I just don't know if we're going to get there.
In the meantime, boron cars would have a slightly different engine but should be around today's car prices. The fuel would be *much* cheaper! So cheap you could buy the initial boron for your car (about $200, or over $400 for 2 lots), and then recycle that for ever by just mailing it to your country's first boron recycler. Even with the cost of mail & de-rusting it would be cheaper than petroleum. It solves the chicken-and-egg problem of early adopter cars in a country without the fuelling system to run them.

As the boron economy eventually grew you would just swap the boron over at your local garage or shops, and eventually sell the spare tub back, or keep it in your garage for a blackout. Hydrogen leaks terribly and can explode. Boron only burns in a super-oxygenated environment. It's *safe*, so you can store it for years. Your car could operate as a backup power station during blackouts, which is not that big a deal here but in Canada could be the difference between life and death in a snowstorm.
It would solve energy security, climate change, air pollution and associated health costs, and deliver clean driving in clean cities with a far safer fuel. I'm a fan.

Now I'll hand you over to Dr James Hansen. Enjoy.

Boron-Powered Cars and Greenwash,

Blees properly ridicules FutureGen, commonly dubbed NeverGen, as a greenwash construction of the coal industry, intended to make it look like they were working on cleaning up their horrendous environmental damage.

Blees suggests that hydrogen-powered cars are a greenwash of the oil and auto industries, while they continue to stick us with gas-guzzlers. That charge may be too strong, but it seems fair to say that they have not been looking at alternative vehicles as hard as they should have been. Also I need to point out a possible personal bias: I have been driving a hydrogen-powered car over the past two weeks [a BMW executive recognized me on an airplane and offered a free trial – for the first time I can look my Mercedes-driving lawyer friends on the level, even though it was just a trial – don’t get excited, the hydrogen cars are not for sale, would be very expensive if they were, and there was only one place, in Jersey City boondocks, where I could fill it up.

Blees thinks that there is a superior alternative to hydrogen. Here is the basis of the idea. If a metal is ground into fine enough dust, nanoparticles, it will burn. We could burn iron-dust in our cars, capture the rust-dust, take the rust home, and cook it to drive the oxygen off, thus recovering our initial iron dust, which we then could use to power our car on its next trip. We supply energy at the time of cooking. Iron is just the energy carrier.

So iron dust is an alternative to hydrogen as an energy carrier to power our post-fossil-fuel cars. Iron dust (unlike hydrogen) has the advantage of being non-explosive, but (among other things) it is heavy and gets heavier as rust. Enter a better idea: boron. It is much more energy dense than iron: it takes a quart of boron to match the energy in a gallon of gasoline. A tank (box) of boron would cost a few hundred dollars, but you only need to buy one tankful, when you buy your car. After that you just take the boron oxide to a store, a Seven-Eleven would be happy to serve, and trade it in for a box of boron (anyone can handle this material). Blees figures that processing boron oxide back to boron would cost only tens of cents. Even if he is too optimistic (or if Exxon/Mobil sees to it that he is put 6-foot under – they are not likely to appreciate competition from Seven-Eleven), it should be much cheaper than gasoline. If the processing from B2O3 back to B is done with carbon-free electricity, it takes care of the carbon emissions problem. Blees, as you might guess, envisages the energy coming from IFR nuclear plants.

O.K., let’s go back a step. It is widely agreed that electric cars can be a solution for a piece of vehicular needs, and plug-in hybrid-electrics are a partial solution for the remaining piece. We should start with those technologies because they are ready to go, and batteries will improve, even though it has been slow going. But we must have something other than gasoline for complementing the electric part. Hydrogen, used in a fuel cell as opposed to being burned in an internal combustion engine, has the great advantage of emitting only water vapor as an exhaust product. Hydrogen could be produced at remote sites where renewable energy, such as wind or solar, is plentiful (or by IFR). But it has technological challenges, as described well in Science a few years ago, and more so in Joe Romm’s book, The Hype About Hydrogen.

Automakers have been working hard on hydrogen for several years. Some of the technological problems must have been solved. All I can say is that the hydrogen-BMW drove great, better than any car I have ever owned, with enough getty-up for even a Texas cowboy (I am not a Texas cowboy). The car also had a gasoline tank, to avoid stranding with no hydrogen, and at push of a button switched seamlessly between hydrogen and gas.

In dismissing hydrogen Blees relies in part on a note by Tromp et al. (Science, 2003) suggesting that hydrogen leakage might threaten the stratospheric ozone layer. But Michael Prather (Science 302, 581, 2003) looked harder and found that it is unlikely to be a problem with realistic hydrogen leakage rates. There are greater challenges for hydrogen, though.

Getting the price of hydrogen vehicles down to a reasonable level is a big challenge and there would need to be a distribution system analogous to gas stations, perhaps replacing them. Boron must have challenges too, but maybe less. Blees says the boron must burn in pure oxygen, which requires miniaturization of an oxygen supply system for the car. I wonder if collecting the boron oxide and converting it back to pure boron is as simple as claimed? Also, the product of hydrogen (in a fuel cell) is water vapor, which we do not have to worry about. That is the big draw of hydrogen: zero pollution. I wonder if we can burn boron without tailpipe pollution?

Bottom line: Blees has stimulating, revolutionary vision. The jury is still out on hydrogen vs boron vs something else. But I am confident that there are better alternatives than fossil fuels. It is time to start working much harder on such alternatives.”
http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/mailings/20080804_TripReport.pdf

Download the free book here that outlines more wonderful things about the boron economy, describes plasma burners that convert ordinary household waste into most of the ingredients required to build the next house and car and boat, and even details nuclear-waste-eating breeder reactors like the GenIV Integral Fast Reactor.
Free book "Prescription for the planet" here
http://www.thesciencecouncil.com/pdfs/P4TP4U.pdf

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟143,058.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That's old tech:

Bicycle-Ride1_bc23d43576.jpg
I have to say, I should have prefaced this with my usual New Urbanism rant.

While replacing oil we should also redesign our cities around classic New Urbanism and Eco-cities principles. First roll out far more trains, trams, and trolley-buses; then start to allow mixed use multi-purpose town zoning around the transport, like apartments above shopping centres above the subway. This reduces the need for cars in the first place. We'll walk, and lose some weight! We would also notice an economic boost as we replaced traffic jams with trams or trains, and instead of wasting time *driving* we answered emails and caught up on news instead.
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/futuretense/peak-car/6831354
Maybe we would even listen to music on the way to work so that we didn't arrive so stressed out from gridlock that we lost the first half hour of work just recovering!
We've already hit peak car. People don't really want to drive when there's so many emails to check and Facebook updates to read on the train, tram, or electric trolley bus!http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2015/apr/30/have-we-really-reached-peak-car

There will be *some* cars. This is where automated robot cars come in. Rather than expensive taxis, with the labour of the poor cabbie to pay, robot-cars will be far cheaper. Big car companies like Ford and Tesla are starting to look at 'transport-as-a-service' schemes. A robot car could arrive just in time to collect you from your station and take you straight home. Or, if we design the city right, you might decide to walk past your favourite book stores and cafe's and parks instead.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That charge may be too strong, but it seems fair to say that they have not been looking at alternative vehicles as hard as they should have been.

You are not throwing as much
money in my front yard last
week as you should have been.
You should be ashamed.
You must not completely
understand the potential benefits.

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟143,058.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You are not throwing as much
money in my front yard last week as you should have been. You should be ashamed. You must not completely understand the potential benefits.
Oil dependence is why we prop up a medieval regime in Saudi Arabia that's not really any better than ISIS, why we went into Iraq on trumped up WMD charges, why many cities in America have brown skies, not blue, and why certain politicians are elected over others. Like coal, oil ruins our skies, our health, our climate, and our democracies.
It's time to kick the habit and clean up.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I don't see the problem.

Chevrolet Spark EV
Electric Vehicle Coupe
82 miles (pure electric)

$26,000

Chevy Volt
Plug-in Hybrid Sedan
38 miles (electric + gasoline)
$35,200

Fiat 500e
Electric Vehicle Sedan
87 miles (pure electric)
$32,600

Ford Focus Electric
Electric Vehicle Sedan
76 miles (pure electric)

$29,200

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Last edited:
Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟143,058.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Capitalist industries makes easy shifts to cheaper
energy and energy production processes. There is
no better system. Our local Solar manufacturers
have closed. Failure is a bad habit.

Helios Solar Works filed for receivership, a process similar to bankruptcy, late last year.http://www.jsonline.com/business/he...n-menomonee-valley-b99265432z1-258563271.html
1. Why does your
typing
drop
so
many lines all the
time?

2. Capitalism v communism: I don't really care as long as the job gets done! CO2 is now trapping 4 Hiroshima bombs worth of extra heat energy every second. We've got to clean that up and wean off the coal and save 3 million lives that coal and oil and gas particulate pollution are killing every year. Decades ago, in the 70's oil crisis, France was burning oil for electricity. They realised that their dependence on oil for electricity was a matter of national security! Without coal, there was only one other option. They went nuclear. Fast. The government basically socialised energy, rolled out nuclear, and within 15 years the job was done. Western nations could do the same! Governments could easily step in and nationalise energy and roll out nuclear power ASAP if they had the willpower to do so.

3. There are a variety of GenIV nuclear reactors called 'breeder' reactors that eat nuclear waste. America already has enough waste to power her for 1000 to 1500 years! Sitting there, in dry cask containers. Just waiting to be fissioned away...

4. While we're burning the breeders and closing more and more coal stations, we can also be switching off the oil and switching on to cheap boron cars that don't have an 83 mile limit!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
3. There are a variety of GenIV nuclear reactors called 'breeder' reactors that eat nuclear waste. America already has enough waste to power her for 1000 to 1500 years! Sitting there, in dry cask containers. Just waiting to be fissioned away...

Go for it.

Upvote 0

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

You seem to be bumping up against the first law of thermodynamics, which says that energy is not created. So nothing in this paragraph solves the problem of future energy shortages. By the laws of thermodynamics, it will take more energy to regenerate the iron or boron than what you would get back when you use it.

That doesn't mean this is a bad idea. If this would work at a high level of efficiency, then you could essentially be replacing batteries with boron. That may be a good idea. But we still need to find where the energy comes from.

And that is the problem. Most any source of energy you can think of involves rapidly depleting valuable resources and adding carbon to the atmosphere. Even things like solar cells and windmills require vast resources to build the equipment, which has a limited lifespan.

But yes, if you could come up with a cold fusion reactor that will efficiently regenerate your boron or other material, and then all I need to do is pump that boron slurry--or whatever-- into my car while draining the residue back into a collection tank, well count me in. But that may be more of a wild dream than a real possiblity. In the meantime we need to deal with limited energy in our future.

Upvote 0