Budgeting Books

tractrack-online

Sep 10, 2003
Visit site
✟254.00
Faith
Baptist
I'm getting married next June and I'm starting to look at housing, cars, etc. I have a well-paying full time job and I'm trying to figure out exactly what is doable in the way of budgets.

Does anyone have any book recommendations for practical budgeting? I am already devoted to making God first in my finances, I just need some direction about how to put together a personal budget accounting for taxes, repairs, interest, etc.

Thanks!

sarah marie

Apr 25, 2004
✟498.00
Faith
Christian
Dave Ramsey has a couple of good books on budgeting, staying out of debt, and planning for the future. He also has a radio program and a website. His radio program is archived (two weeks) and free to listen to. God began leading me in my finances several years ago before I had heard Dave's show. His counsel is entirely biblical.

http://www.daveramsey.com/

Upvote 0

IslandBreeze

Caribbean Queen
Sep 2, 2002
✟18,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would second Dave Ramsey! He's an incredible man of God, very Scripturally sound!

Also, I'd recommend using a program like Microsoft Money to keep track of check books and balances and things. We found keeping two separate checkbooks and keeping track of ins and outs almost impossible. Microsoft Money was a lifesaver for us financially! :)

Upvote 0

Momzilla

Gettin' that old time religion!
Feb 12, 2004
Greenville, SC
✟16,959.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have found that the best teacher in budgeting is experience. DH and I started budgeting a year ago. Our first budget was based on expenditures for the previous year; we created budget categories that worked for us. In fact, we really have two "budgets". First we figured out our fixed (or roughly fixed) expenses, like mortgage, car payments, investments, utilities, etc. Since those don't change much from month to month, we figured out how much of our monthly income when to those "fixed" costs. Then, we established a "spending" budget for things that are harder to predict--food, restaurants, household items, gifts, etc. We track every dime that we spend in those categories, with a goal of spending no more than x dollars per month, total. This allows us to save a certain amount of money every month (in addition to retirement plans and college funds, which come off the top).

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

SirKenin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2003
from the deepest inner mind to the outer limits
✟9,370.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I have one. My parents used it to save them from near ruin and bring them to financial stability. A success story, if you would.

Taming the Money Monster: Five Steps to Conquering Debt by Ron Blue © 1989,1993 Ron Blue

Focus on the Family Publishing
ISBN# 1-56179-168-7

Upvote 0
I

I'ddie4him

My wife E-Beth and I use 2 different programs for our finances.
The primary one is Quicken Deluxe, and the secondary one is Money Matters from Larry Burkett, The same guy from Focus on the Family.
The only reason I use both is cause I like to keep closer track or our charitable contributions and tithing and stuff like that.
I do recommend Quicken tho, It's a great program that works well with any Bank and updates with the click of a button.

Upvote 0

sarah marie

Apr 25, 2004
✟498.00
Faith
Christian
Dave Ramsey's books and website addresses more than just getting out of debt. He has lots of information for those with no debt: Budgeting advice and forms, tithing, saving for kid's college, investments, health insurance, retirement, real estate, estate planning. The first step for most people is to get out of debt. If you have no debt (except your house), you're wierd! I'm wierd, too....lol Being debt free is a good step towards being a good steward, especially in the current culture, where debt is considered normal.

Desi mentioned Proverbs for good reason. There is a lot of financial information in Proverbs. Dave Ramsey has joked that reading Proverbs is equivilent to getting a degree in finances.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums