Kurama

Believe in Humanity
Mar 25, 2013
✟17,730.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
"So, historically, Buddhism has been no more a religion of peace than Christianity."

Such words were echoed by the BBC in light of the ongoing conflict between Buddhists and Rohingya Muslims in Burma. The acts of radical Buddhist monks attacking Muslims has led to the BBC criticizing the whole Buddhist faith for being violent, being "no more peaceful than Christianity" [or Islam? No...].

While we should all condemn the violence perpetrated by the monks, this favorable treatment the media gives to Islam is self-evident. While the BBC is quick to denounce Muslim terrorists for being extremists who pervert the Islamic faith, they openly attack the Buddhist and Christian faiths for the acts of a few ill-intentioned individuals.

After all are we not forgetting that Buddhists have frequently been murdered along the Thai-Malaysian border by Muslims? One should question whether why in border areas between a non-Muslim country and a Muslim country, there always tends to be conflict:

India-Pakistan
Thailand-Malaysia
Kenya-Somalia
South Sudan-Sudan
Israel-Neighbours
China-Xinjiang (autonomous)
Russia-Chechnya/Dagestan (autonomous)

Buddhism was wiped out in India, its birthplace, by Muslim fighters. The refugees found shelter in mountainous places such as Tibet and Nepal, as well as remote ones like Burma. Thus the conflict in Burma is understandable, especially given how successful Islam has been in eliminating other religions.

If the media has to go low enough to criticize a religion like Buddhism in substitution for Islam, I don't know what the world is coming to.

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
A few other lines from the article you linked:

"the principle of non-violence is arguably more central to Buddhism than any other major religion."

"Aggressive thoughts are inimical to all Buddhist teachings."

The author goes on to list a range of historical examples of where Buddism has been the basis for conflict. If you want to counter the claim that Buddism has been no more a religion of peace than Christianity, you will need to address these examples.

The particular line about Buddism being as connected to violence as other religions may or may not stand up, but I did not interpret anything in that article as suggesting that events in Myanmar reflect on Buddism as a whole, any more than events in western Iraq represent mainstream Islam

How many people in Europe or America do you think are even aware that Buddists have been persecuting Muslims in Myanmar? I would hazard it's very few. The popular view of Buddism in the west remains very positive, much more so than that of Islam, so don't be too paranoid. :)

Upvote 0

Maynard Keenan

Aug 21, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟20,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Any religion is what you make it to be.

You can be peaceful. Or make war. It's really up to you, rather than an idea.

An idea can't make you do anything; you, however, can.

This true. But religion insulates a person's ideas - be they good or bad - from critical evaluation.

Upvote 0
G

grayeagle48

It really is. that is why they teach the violent practice of karate, kung fu, ju jitsu, and all the rest.

I never have understood why parents who refuse to allow their children to have toy guns, army figures and the like, because it teaches violence, but have no problem sending them to karate class.

Christ taught no such violence.
He did however believe in self defense.
http://www.ourchurch.com/member/a/ahs/index.php?p=1_24_What-the-Bible-says-About-Gun-Control

Last edited:
Upvote 0
B

Blessedj01

grayeagle48 said:
It really is. that is why they teach the violent practice of karate, kung fu, ju jitsu, and all the rest. I never have understood why parents who refuse to allow their children to have toy guns, army figures and the like, because it teaches violence, but have no problem sending them to karate class. Christ taught no such violence. He did however believe in self defense. http://www.ourchurch.com/member/a/ahs/index.php?p=1_24_What-the-Bible-says-About-Gun-Control

Martial arts aren't necessarily violent or Buddhist

As to the o.p, they are probably a apologising for Islam, but I have long held Buddhism to be nihilist, sexist and selfish as opposed to it's supposed reputation.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟824,256.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"So, historically, Buddhism has been no more a religion of peace than Christianity."

Such words were echoed by the BBC in light of the ongoing conflict between Buddhists and Rohingya Muslims in Burma. The acts of radical Buddhist monks attacking Muslims has led to the BBC criticizing the whole Buddhist faith for being violent, being "no more peaceful than Christianity" [or Islam? No...].

While we should all condemn the violence perpetrated by the monks, this favorable treatment the media gives to Islam is self-evident. While the BBC is quick to denounce Muslim terrorists for being extremists who pervert the Islamic faith, they openly attack the Buddhist and Christian faiths for the acts of a few ill-intentioned individuals.

After all are we not forgetting that Buddhists have frequently been murdered along the Thai-Malaysian border by Muslims? One should question whether why in border areas between a non-Muslim country and a Muslim country, there always tends to be conflict:

India-Pakistan
Thailand-Malaysia
Kenya-Somalia
South Sudan-Sudan
Israel-Neighbours
China-Xinjiang (autonomous)
Russia-Chechnya/Dagestan (autonomous)

Buddhism was wiped out in India, its birthplace, by Muslim fighters. The refugees found shelter in mountainous places such as Tibet and Nepal, as well as remote ones like Burma. Thus the conflict in Burma is understandable, especially given how successful Islam has been in eliminating other religions.

If the media has to go low enough to criticize a religion like Buddhism in substitution for Islam, I don't know what the world is coming to.

The media is biased towards Islam - definitely true! The recent reporting on Gaza and lack of reporting on the Christian situation in Iraq illustrates this very well.

Also true is that Islam has mainly expanded by violence and by a high birth rate. Indeed that is its entire history. Only countries conquered by military conquest have been freed from its grasp e.g. India, Israel, Spain and the Balkans. So there is always an element of violence in times of transition. As the Ottomans lost control Greeks and Armenian Christians were massacred in large numbers only 100 years ago for instance. ISIS have gained control in large parts of Iraq by violence.

But since both religions in Burma offer no hope for salvation I do not really care who wins. I hope people see through both sets of lies and come to Christ as a result of the tragic events over there.

Upvote 0

wn123455

Sep 14, 2013
✟16,444.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The media is biased towards Islam - definitely true! The recent reporting on Gaza and lack of reporting on the Christian situation in Iraq illustrates this very well.

Also true is that Islam has mainly expanded by violence and by a high birth rate. Indeed that is its entire history. Only countries conquered by military conquest have been freed from its grasp e.g. India, Israel, Spain and the Balkans. So there is always an element of violence in times of transition. As the Ottomans lost control Greeks and Armenian Christians were massacred in large numbers only 100 years ago for instance. ISIS have gained control in large parts of Iraq by violence.

But since both religions in Burma offer no hope for salvation I do not really care who wins. I hope people see through both sets of lies and come to Christ as a result of the tragic events over there.

islamists influence some of the media.

http://www.christianforums.com/t7767980-32/#post65441337

islamists are massacring Buddhists in Myanmar.

Muslims Massacre Buddhists In Myanmar > New English Review

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums