USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, it's not "nothing but hatred"- and would not be inconsistent with love, unless you would be of the impression that God would want us to be totally passive in that situation, which would most likely amount to a failure to love our family incidentally.
Jesus forbids violent self-defense. You cannot expect him to save you if you reject his teaching in the Sermon on the Mount. John says if you do not have his doctrine, you do not have God.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟324,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Jesus forbids violent self-defense. You cannot expect him to save you if you reject his teaching in the Sermon on the Mount. John says if you do not have his doctrine, you do not have God.
No, He doesn't say that in the Sermon on the Mount. And I would never condone allowing anyone to enter their house and kill their family.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, He doesn't say that in the Sermon on the Mount. And I would enter condone allowing anyone to enter their house and kill their family.
It happens all the time. But we are not to use violent self-defense. I would prefer dying from upholding Christ's words, and wear a martyr's crown than to kill someone only to rot away in a nursing home.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟324,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It happens all the time. But we are not to use violent self-defense. I would prefer dying from upholding Christ's words, and wear a martyr's crown than to kill someone only to rot away in a nursing home.
Well, maybe that's a good argument for euthanasia then.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟324,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's a great argument for obeying Christ and enjoying what it yields.
The problem is that while it sounds somewhat reasonable, it then logically means allowing any country to invade and conquer any other country. The allies should've just rolled over and allowed Germany to have its way.

Upvote 0

Jake Arsenal

Mar 2, 2021
Celestial City
✟47,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To kill an intruder violates Christ's command to leave vengeance to the Lord. It is nothing but hatred. Feeding him or her is an act of love.
This was exactly the type of false teaching I was looking to overcome with the title "Broken Theology?" Thank you for clarifying it.

David did love his enemies. He loved, dearly loved, Saul.

Goliath was not Davids's enemy. Goliath was God's enemy.

Nowhere will you find that we are to love God's enemy.

This shows the God who never changes. Thanks again, Nathan@work!

• Friendly
Reactions: Nathan@work
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟733,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I have included an image. Can someone explain to me why a man after God's own heart did not love his enemies?

1 Samuel 13:14
But now thy kingdom shall not continue: the Lord hath sought him a man after his own heart, and the Lord hath commanded him to be captain over his people, because thou hast not kept that which the Lord commanded thee.

Acts 13:22 And when he had removed him, he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave their testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will.

John 2:15 And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables;

Why did God permit divorce under the Torah? Jesus tells us it was because of human stubbornness.

But also, ancient Israel was not just a religious community, it was a religio-political community. Do governments have the right to use the sword to defend and exact justice? Biblically speaking, yes. That doesn't make what the State does good necessarily; but there is an understanding that the State serves a necessary function in human society for the purpose of curbing social evil and providing a space for human activity to flourish. As the alternative is lawless anarchy in which every person is a law unto themselves--and that leads to barbarity.

All human beings have something that could be called a government or "the State"; whether we are talking about tribes, tribal federations, city-states, modern democratic governments, empires, or everything in-between. In fact, even non-human social groups, such as chimpanzee troops, have a basic level of organization and social cooperation, and "rules" in place to discipline members who act out--chimps in fact actually wage war against neighboring chimpanzee troops, and these troop wars can last for many years.

We are social animals, it's part of what makes us human. And in this world, fallen as it is, the necessity for some kind of social environment is present. And when you have groups, there needs to be structure, there needs to be rules to maintain the peace.

This is why St. Paul in Romans 12 and 13 speaks of the governing authorities ministering justice with the sword, and that as Christians we are called to lives of quiet humility and peaceably with one another and all others. We obey the laws, we pay our taxes, etc. That does not mean we acquiesce to every demand of the State, or that we abandon justice when the State is unjust. As St. Augustine said, "an unjust law is no law at all", and for this reason Christianity has always had a history of civil disobedience. From the ancient days of Rome where Christians refused to worship Caesar or the gods of the Roman State; all the way to the 20th century where Dr. Martin Luther King and other civil rights leaders engaged in sit-ins and other forms of non-violent protest. And to that end, as Christians we are commanded against violence. It is not our place to use violence, it is not my place to take revenge, it is not my place to use the sword. But that doesn't mean the State may not use the sword if or when it is necessary to do so.

In that context, David's slaying of Goliath should be understood as an act of civil justice to defend Israel; many lives were saved as having the two champions fight rather than all-out bloodshed actually meant less violence.

Even with all that said, I don't want to dismiss Christian concerns about Old Testament violence--I think it is important to wrestle with these things, even when it makes us very uncomfortable. We shouldn't be comfortable with bloodshed and violence, it should make us very uneasy, it should make us uncomfortable. Because bloodshed and violence isn't God's way, as we see in Jesus.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Bruce Leiter

A sinner saved by God's astounding grace and love
Jun 16, 2018
West Michigan
Visit site
✟56,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have included an image. Can someone explain to me why a man after God's own heart did not love his enemies?

But now thy kingdom shall not continue: the Lord hath sought him a man after his own heart, and the Lord hath commanded him to be captain over his people, because thou hast not kept that which the Lord commanded thee.

Acts 13:22 And when he had removed him, he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave their testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will.

John 2:15 And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables;

God called David to be his warrior-king to finally rid the promised land of the Canaanites, who included the Philistines. God is a just Judge, and according to Genesis 15 in his promise to Abraham about the land, he gave the Canaanites four hundred years to repent and turn to him in faith. Of course, that change did not happen. So Israel, including David, was given the task to remove the Canaanites from the promised land, which the Canaanites had forfeited because of their evil and wicked practices. Jesus shows his justice against the greedy moneychangers as well.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

It's not broken theology. David was one type or shadow of Christ, he was not the totality of who Christ is. He was a just a believer who loved God and whose life points to many aspects of Christ personality, character, identity etc. God uses flawed vessels for his glory.

Besides this there is something called Theological development. You don't just get revelation, or advanced understanding of God in one big dose. It develops over time, sometimes over centuries, even thousands of years when you are talking about the Judeo-Christian tradition. Even now while we know lots of stuff some subjects Revelation and End times Eschatology are still very confusing. So the OP in many ways is a bit unfair. Lots of things in David's time weren't worked out. e.g. - Jonah hoping he could run a way from God makes me think that the notion that God is omnipresent and all knowing wasn't completely established in the minds of the Hebrews. The same goes for the nature of the afterlife, and many other things we take for granted today.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Goliath "represents" our spiritual battles? David didn't really kill him? Is it just a story that "represents" a spiritual battle?

Hebrews 1:1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,

The book of Hebrews treats the Old Testament as history, but a metaphor is something that "represents" something else. So is Goliath a metaphor? Is all of the Old Testament a metaphor, or just those parts that we don't understand in light of the Gospel?

Hebrews 11 refers to many who were of the Faith throughout history. The Faith Is the Faith. It is not two faiths, but rather singularly the Faith.
most of the old was in the physical that represented and pointed to more abstract concepts today. For example, circumcision was in the flesh but today it's in the heart and a spiritual value. What does this mean for Goliath an actual soul killed by David? I don't know, that's something only God can answer.

• Useful
Reactions: Jake Arsenal
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟587,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can someone explain to me why a man after God's own heart did not love his enemies?

Goliath was not Davids's enemy. Goliath was God's enemy.

Nowhere will you find that we are to love God's enemy.
David never considered him a personal enemy.

Jesus taught that we should love those who we consider enemies of ourselves - not of God.
This is very clear, but I would like to offer something else >

If someone is God's enemy, the person is my enemy. And Jesus does not say in plain words that we are not to love enemies of God.

And God loves the whole world (John 3:16, 1 Timothy 2:1-4, 1 John 2:2), with all His enemies included, and God is our example (Ephesians 4:32-5:1) . . . for us to also love any and all people . . . like Jesus on the cross suffered and died with hope for any and all evil people > love "hopes all things" (in 1 Corinthians 13:7).

So, loving includes having hope for any wrong person, like how Jesus was loving us, while Jesus was on the cross and we were "enemies" of God >

"For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life." (Romans 5:10)

We love God's enemies all the time, by reaching to them with the Gospel and praying with hope for them. God commands all-loving prayer > 1 Timothy 2:1-4.

But was David loving Goliath? I would say no. I do not think he was caring about Goliath, and first taking time to talk with him about trusting in God, with hope of this.

Yes, that really happened, by the way, plus it is a real event which we use as an image of warring against the flesh and this evil world. With God, we are able. So, it is not one way or the other > either a real event or a metaphor > but it is an event used as a metaphor . . . I would say :)

My opinion is when God's word says He hates evil people, this means His is so displeased with them. Human hate, by the way, is disabling; so I think David was not actively hating Goliath, but David was intent one winning victory of the LORD.

John the Baptist says the wrath of God abides on evil people (John 3:36). So, He is angry at them. But He has loved them, by sending Jesus to save us. After all, God in His wrath is not like humans, but He moves on to His all-loving result . . . like He has done by loving us through Jesus on the cross.

And Jesus on the cross is our example of how to love evil people >

"And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma." (Ephesians 5:2)

So, we can be displeased with and disgusted with wrong people, but we love them by having hope for them, in our prayer and example possibly reaching deeper than the preaching. How we are tender and kind with them is loving them, and our example to feed them to join us. We love, by seeing any sinner as a person qualified to be adopted to become our own brother or sister in Christ; any is qualified for the welfare of God's mercy.

So, what about David killing Goliath? It fit with God's purpose, at the time. Maybe it is meant as an object lesson of how things worked, back then, without Jesus. It could have been loving Goliath, by removing him from this world so he would not get into ever more trouble, cause even more harm, and add even more condemnation to his account for the day of judgment. But God is the One to decide who needs to be removed, and when . . . fitting this in with His overall working of things.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟217,342.00
Faith
Non-Denom
How can you love enemies and kill them? Where do you see this in the New Testament? Any examples of believers doing this besides Peter using the sword at Christ's rebuke?
Yes.

When you are assembled in the name of our Lord Jesus and I am with you in spirit, along with the power of the Lord Jesus, hand this man over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved on the Day of the Lord. 1 Cor 5:5

This wasn't done by they themselves physically doing anything against him but by declaration and decree a door would be open from the spirit by which devil forces would end his life. Still doesn't mean the person would miss out of Heaven as you see it states, so that his spirit may be saved. That shows you they and God can still love such a one.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟217,342.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Perhaps you're missing everything here with context? Jesus DID speak of the right of using a sword as an instrument of self-defence.

“But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.” Luke 22:36.

• Agree
Upvote 0

JEBofChristTheLord

to the Lord
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2005
Topeka, Kansas, USA
Visit site
✟38,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can someone explain to me why a man after God's own heart did not love his enemies?

God is both Lamb and Lion of Judah. When the Son returns, He will return as the Lion, and will not love His enemies. He has commanded us, who must walk in the path of the Lamb for our obedience to Him, to love our enemies, because that is His will for us now. But He does not always love His enemies, according to His Word.

• Useful
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jake Arsenal

Mar 2, 2021
Celestial City
✟47,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am in no way attempting to attack or defame the Lord, nor am I attempting to advocate for violent actions against sinners(For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God). My goal with this discussion is to better understand and to better know the UNCHANGING God of the Bible.

These are real people too. They names and parents. Real people who existed and loved by God yet violently slain for sin. God rewarded His people for slaying them, with a special blessing for Phinehas.

Numbers 25 And Israel abode in [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]tim, and the people began to commit whoredom with the daughters of Moab.

2 And they called the people unto the sacrifices of their gods: and the people did eat, and bowed down to their gods.

3 And Israel joined himself unto Baalpeor: and the anger of the Lord was kindled against Israel.

4 And the Lord said unto Moses, Take all the heads of the people, and hang them up before the Lord against the sun, that
the fierce anger of the Lord may be turned away from Israel.

5 And Moses said unto the judges of Israel, Slay ye every one his men that were joined unto Baalpeor.

6 And, behold, one of the children of Israel came and brought unto his brethren a Midianitish woman in the sight of Moses, and in the sight of all the congregation of the children of Israel, who were weeping before the door of the tabernacle of the congregation.

7 And when Phinehas, the son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron the priest, saw it, he rose up from among the congregation, and took a javelin in his hand;

8 And he went after the man of Israel into the tent, and thrust both of them through, the man of Israel, and the woman through her belly. So the plague was stayed from the children of Israel.

9 And those that died in the plague were twenty and four thousand.

10 And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,

11 Phinehas, the son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron the priest, hath turned my wrath away from the children of Israel, while he was zealous for my sake among them, that I consumed not the children of Israel in my jealousy.

12 Wherefore say, Behold, I give unto him my covenant of peace:

13 And he shall have it, and his seed after him, even the covenant of an everlasting priesthood; because he was zealous for his God, and made an atonement for the children of Israel.

14 Now the name of the Israelite that was slain, even that was slain with the Midianitish woman, was Zimri, the son of Salu, a prince of a chief house among the Simeonites.

15 And the name of the Midianitish woman that was slain was Cozbi, the daughter of Zur; he was head over a people, and of a chief house in Midian.

16 And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,

17 Vex the Midianites, and smite them:

18 For they vex you with their wiles, wherewith they have beguiled you in the matter of Peor, and in the matter of Cozbi, the daughter of a prince of Midian, their sister, which was slain in the day of the plague for Peor's sake.

How does this show the Love of the unchanging God of the Bible? We are not talking about God destroying these people Himself as in the Flood or Sodom and Gomorrah. In this case, He is instructing His people to destroy these wicked people.

Below I have included a similar call to purge by the Apostle Paul which calls on the congregation at Corinth "To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus."

1 Corinthians 5
It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife.

2 And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you.

3 For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed,

4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,

5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

6 Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?

7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:

8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

9 I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:

10 Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world.

11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolator, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.

12 For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?

13 But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟217,342.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Below I have included a similar call to purge by the Apostle Paul which calls on the congregation at Corinth "To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus."

You did notice the mercy in the verse you quoted right....so that their spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord?

Upvote 0

Jake Arsenal

Mar 2, 2021
Celestial City
✟47,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You did notice the mercy in the verse you quoted right....so that their spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord?

Of course. I want to discuss this further with regards to God's character and the intent of Scripture.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,136,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
12 For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?

13 But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

Hey Jake,

So, what do you think verse 13 means for us Christians to do with the "wicked person"?

Upvote 0

Nathan@work

Always ready :)
Feb 19, 2021
Garfield
✟27,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Of course. I want to discuss this further with regards to God's character and the intent of Scripture.

Here is my simplistic interpretation.

God does not, nor will not allow, a human's life on earth to end before their appointed time.

Before that time, everyone has the option of Faith - Salvation.

God is not willing that any should 'perish'(eternal death) but when a person insists on it, God is not going to force them otherwise.

The people you read that God commanded Israel to destroy all insisted on rejecting God.

The key thing to remember is that this life is a 'vapor', it's almost as though it does not exist in the expanse of eternity.

For someone to die here, lose their earthly life, is minuscule in the grand scheme of things.

• Useful
Upvote 0