• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Breath meditation | Anxiety and Psychosis | Helpful

Lord'sWarrior

Jan 14, 2017
Resi
✟24,557.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I have schizoaffective disorder. I don't hallucinate, although I feel crippling anxiety and fearful thoughts and feelings that stop me from leading a normal life.

I've been meditating, counting my in breaths and out breaths from one to ten for some days now, and I feel less anxiety and fear. I asked my priest (catholic (yes, I know I have non-denom) ) if it was ok to do it, and he said no problem, although I think he didn't quite understood what I was talking about.

I know there are many people here that are against these kinds of practices because it doesn't come in the bible nor in the tradition of Christianity. But it seems to be helping me. I also heard stories of people converting from new age, etc, to Christianity and they are also against it. But I'm not trying to adore another god or anything like that. I just find that this practice centers me (some will say it is navel gazing).

Is there anyone who finds it helpful?

Update
Also, I would like to know what to do besides this meditation to be more calm. This meditation can worsen my illness, I've read.

Last edited:

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
It depends on what you are mediating on or more importantly what spiritual leader, Christ or Kundahlini ! We are electrically wired in our nervous systems and there is a degree of electrical current there, we don't have to think about some energy spirit involved in what you do and you certainly do not want to awaken that . But we are allowed to calm ourselves by taking deep breaths and meditating on scripture and the words of God. If you were in a cat scan or mri machine you would find the electrical impulses leveling out. Just don't seek some mystical eastern culture spirit in the process. That's my view on it anyway.

It's like yoga, it's not the exercisers but the intent that matters.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think your priest has given you good advice. My favorite book on meditation was written by a Catholic priest, and the exercise of focusing on one's breath is one of the exercises in the book.

I use exercises like this from time to time, and I find them helpful. Sometimes I use them as a prelude to a form of prayer in which I sit silently in God's presence; the breathing exercises clear the clutter out of my head so that I can focus more fully on God. And sometimes I use breathing exercises for the purpose you've described, helping me to step away from anxieties and fearful thoughts so that I can function.

You've already said you're not offering devotion to any other god, which is the chief caution I'd give to someone who's new to meditation. Talk with your priest some more if you have further misgivings, but everything's good, as far as I can see. I'm glad you've found something that calms your anxieties and gives you peace.

Reactions: Dave G.
Upvote 0

Lord'sWarrior

Jan 14, 2017
Resi
✟24,557.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It depends on what you are mediating on or more importantly what spiritual leader, Christ or Kundahlini ! We are electrically wired in our nervous systems and there is a degree of electrical current there, we don't have to think about some energy spirit involved in what you do and you certainly do not want to awaken that . But we are allowed to calm ourselves by taking deep breaths and meditating on scripture and the words of God. If you were in a cat scan or mri machine you would find the electrical impulses leveling out. Just don't seek some mystical eastern culture spirit in the process. That's my view on it anyway.

It's like yoga, it's not the exercisers but the intent that matters.
Thanks for your input. I'll take that in regard.

I think your priest has given you good advice. My favorite book on meditation was written by a Catholic priest, and the exercise of focusing on one's breath is one of the exercises in the book.

I use exercises like this from time to time, and I find them helpful. Sometimes I use them as a prelude to a form of prayer in which I sit silently in God's presence; the breathing exercises clear the clutter out of my head so that I can focus more fully on God. And sometimes I use breathing exercises for the purpose you've described, helping me to step away from anxieties and fearful thoughts so that I can function.

You've already said you're not offering devotion to any other god, which is the chief caution I'd give to someone who's new to meditation. Talk with your priest some more if you have further misgivings, but everything's good, as far as I can see. I'm glad you've found something that calms your anxieties and gives you peace.
Thank you very much for sharing and your advice.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,937.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I have schizoaffective disorder. I don't hallucinate, although I feel crippling anxiety and fearful thoughts and feelings that stop me from leading a normal life.

I've been meditating, counting my in breaths and out breaths from one to ten for some days now, and I feel less anxiety and fear. I asked my priest (catholic (yes, I know I have non-denom) ) if it was ok to do it, and he said no problem, although I think he didn't quite understood what I was talking about.

I know there are many people here that are against these kinds of practices because it doesn't come in the bible nor in the tradition of Christianity. But it seems to be helping me. I also heard stories of people converting from new age, etc, to Christianity and they are also against it. But I'm not trying to adore another god or anything like that. I just find that this practice centers me (some will say it is navel gazing).

Is there anyone who finds it helpful?

Update
Also, I would like to know what to do besides this meditation to be more calm. This meditation can worsen my illness, I've read.

Some good Catholic authors on the topic include Thomas Keating, Martin Laird, and Thomas Merton. Laird's books give historical grounding for Christian forms of meditation--usually called "contemplation," "hesychasm," or "theoria." Keating and Martin have lots of practical advice about incorporating such practices into your Christian prayer life.

Upvote 0