California
✟24,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am wondering about what the most scriptural frequency for breaking bread is. For example, Acts 2 verse 42 seems to reveal the breaking of bread was prioritized among doctrine and prayers.

For those familiar with congregations that break bread weekly (or more often), what is the scriptural basis provided for this?

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟583,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, in Acts we have how they broke bread with one another. But it does not say they drank of the cup, like Paul talks about in 1 Corinthians 11. So, I see that Acts might be referring to simply eating with one another.

There are preachers who say that breaking bread in remembrance of Jesus can minister healing to a person. And so ones are encouraged to have communion daily at home.

Others, though, very strongly insist that communion does not minister grace; and ones might even have communion only every few months . . . so that it does not become commonplace or some sort of an idol. Such ones can be, in my opinion, overreacting against Roman Catholicism which clearly indicates that taking their Eucharist is a means of grace.

My opinion is we should not avoid something only because it has a similar practice done by another group. Jesus says to have the Lord's Supper in remembrance of Him, and Paul says we proclaim the death of Jesus, each time we have communion. I would say this should not become commonplace, no matter how often we do it. Paul did not put any scheduling restrictions on this.

And whatever we do with God is in His grace, and we all minister this grace to one another > 1 Peter 4:9-10. And I would say whatever we do in God's grace can not become commonplace, if God has us doing it.

And the remembrance of Jesus includes how He has so loved us; and we love one another like this, as we grow in Jesus. And part of showing His death is how we love like Jesus on the cross was loving >

"And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma." (Ephesians 5:2)

How we are loving one another during the Lord's Supper can feed into how we relate with any and all people, all the time - - - not a commonplace or graceless way to have the Lord's Supper.

• Winner
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God says: "...as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, ye do show the the Lord's death 'til He come". Many saints in Bible-only assemblies (at least), have the Lord's supper; e.g. "breaking of bread" every Lord's day. God also says that 'he that eateth and drinketh unworthy (not being saved as John 3:16) '...eateth and drinketh damnation to himself'. Religion often leads souls away to dishonor God, so one needs to be with a Bible-only fellowship. I found this truth very clear explained at the site: biblecounsel.net. Let us be always seeking what God says, and not what some preachers preach in their pulpits.

Upvote 0