United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Trans: "JUST ONE BOSS"
Haven't fired the first shell yet; waiting on the rest of my sling parts, a VFG for the front end, and a safe place to use it.
This is the first gun like this I've ever owned. Any range advice?
DSC01423.JPG

67_Reasons

66 pages + the Lord Jesus
Jan 12, 2021
Skipperville, AL, USA
✟88,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I would be wearing a shoulder pad, congrats on the new firearm.
Thank you. I've found that this gun has -75% of the recoil my long barrel has; Finally got my VFG today and the strap this week as well.
Took the red dot off of an old BB gun that wasn't being used anymore and fitted it onto the picatinny rail on top and lasered it to the point, and even took a range test yesterday morning before the heatwave took over again and the storms. Not sure about my mag's cycling quality yet, need to see why my first shell isn't loading automatically, otherwise it works as it should...
DSC01430.JPG

Reactions: Divide
Upvote 0

Wings like Eagles

Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2013
Arizona
✟215,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Every shotgun I have or had, I polished the chamber just seems like they all need it.

Had a Remington 870 Marine Magnum, could not get that thing reliable until a really good polishing in the chamber.

Keep me posted on how you like it, never had a bullpup before, but that Tokarev might be a consideration.

Upvote 0

67_Reasons

Jan 12, 2021
Skipperville, AL, USA
✟88,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Just a side note; not every shell will cycle the right way and sometimes lodge outside of the chamber making the shell inoperable. I tried tugging the magazine and the shell fell in the chamber the right way, so this will be a substantial consideration as well...

Will want to consider polishing my chamber soon. Otherwise, it's working great, I just think I may have to look into an NRA range to use it at seeing I am a member as well...

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Haven't fired the first shell yet; waiting on the rest of my sling parts, a VFG for the front end, and a safe place to use it.
View attachment 334267

I think the lead molds for Foster type slugs are about 50-75 bucks. I bought it and loaded them up with a fair amount of Unique and they shot soo much better than any factory slug I ever shot. I was keeping them on a 9" paper plate at 100 yards. Offhand with a 18.5" barrel and bead sight. (no lie!)

I even ordered the speacial crimping tool ($20) to crimp them circularly so the slug shows at the top. Works great!

Upvote 0

67_Reasons

Jan 12, 2021
Skipperville, AL, USA
✟88,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
First big hiccup on the flashlight/harness loop base. The screw on the 45-degree offset has broken and I need to replace the angle unit to get back into function. The only thing I needed was a wider stop and apparently the one I had was torn by high recoil and jostling. It was supposed to be for nighttime outside stuff like taking the trash down my hill and coyotes/pigs. not much useful to me without the flashlight...
8.jpg

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
First big hiccup on the flashlight/harness loop base. The screw on the 45-degree offset has broken and I need to replace the angle unit to get back into function. The only thing I needed was a wider stop and apparently the one I had was torn by high recoil and jostling. It was supposed to be for nighttime outside stuff like taking the trash down my hill and coyotes/pigs. not much useful to me without the flashlight...
View attachment 334445

Shotguns are great for defense inside a house, but if I have to step outside, give me a rifle and a red dot! Any rifle!

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
View attachment 334267

I do. Buy a decent 12 ga reloading press like the MEC ans load your own shells for it. It's crazy easy to do and all 12 ga ammo that I ever reloaded far exceeded any factory 12ga ammo that I've had and shot. Especially the slugs. I bought the 12ga Lyman Foster slug mould for it and cast some up for it. I even bought the circle crimper for it to crimp in the slugs with an open tip like the remington sluggers. And with Alliant's Unique gunpowder behind them they put the remington Sluggers to shame, and increased my accuracy a full 50 yards more.

The 12ga presses arent as much some of the others. You do wind up spending just as much on ammo as you do buying factory ammo because you buy componants in bulk. But! You get to shoot more and it's way better ammo!

Back when I bought my first reloading press I had the same problem as you guys who do not reload, ammo prices. And I was making $2.35 an hour minimum wage at the time, and I knew it would only get worse with inflation. SO I bought a press and a book 40 some years later now, it doesn't matter much what they do with factory ammo and prices to me. I have some guns that have never had a factory round shot through them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Great thought, I have never loaded for shotgun but.

I have progressive press Dillon 650. For rifle if you are going to put a hole in a hole at distance, you have to reload for that kind of accuracy. With handguns accuracy and function are a big factor when shooting completion as is price. Reloads are far, far superior to even the best match ammo you can buy off the shelf. Also, is a great hobby I enjoy it very much.

Wow you're all set. I have a 550B myself. When I got an M1A I got a setup for loading it too on the 550 and I accidently stumbled upon a championship load. 180gr match bullet with 42gr or maybe it was 42.5 gr of 4064. That was an awesome load for any rifle we tried it in but I started not liking to load the 308s on the 550 and went back to loading them single stage. More control over each step made them a wee bit nearer to perfect than on a progressive press. But it works just fine for 5.56 and 45s!

Have you ever wondered what is it about match ammo that make it match ammo? I have concluded that it's about 80% the bullets themselves. The thing about match bulets is the weight of them. A very precise consistent weight. Break open a box of match bullets and see for yourself! They are so consistent in weight that you can zero your scale with them lol. I'll us match bullets as weight checkers.

But the thing is, I cast most of my own bullets. So I wondered where that would leave me. I was looking at a new batch of cast bullets and thought that would be nice. I already make sure the melting pot is at the same temperature for casting. Dumping bullet sprues back into the pot willy nilly is the biggest mistake that new casters make. Still, it was a pretty big job to go through my cast and weigh each one then segregating them into groups of exact weights and when finished I took the big pile and mixed all the others together again like I have for years.

And a funny thing happened, there was a significant improvement in these cast loads. I have a big family and so I was the ammo man, lol. But I loaded the "match" 45 slugs for my own personal ammo to shoot and made normal ammo for everyone else. Lol. Every time we went to the range we'd all toss $10 in the can and winner take all. I smoked them all, regularly. Learned all my sons and BIL's a good lesson, lol. But yeah, bullet weight means an awful lot of difference. Other things that can help is the more brass prep you do, the more match it is. Trim them all (not for 45's Geez!) and deburring the inside of the flash hole helps give consistent flash patterns for consistent ignition.

The only difference between 5.56 brass and 223 Reminton is that mil spec brass has a thivker web inside the case so since the outside size remains the same, the thicker web makes them heavier than 223 commercial brass. So seperating the 223 from the 5.56 mil spec brass helps too, as well as then trimming and weighing them for precise weight and that does a lot for rifle cartridges because if the outside size is the same and the inside of the brass is thicker then when you weigh them and segregate them the combustion chamber is the same size which helps a lot to consistent pressures. Yessiree, I can easily make ammo 10X better than factory ammo.

Now if only I could reload 22 rimfires lol.

Upvote 0