Boyfriend thinks everything I wear is sleazy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valetic

Addicted to CF
Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Georgia, USA
✟58,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
So my boyfriend and I. We both believe in no sex before marriage. Me growing up, I was taught there was no problem with light kissing, or wearing bathing suits etc. My boyfriend however, thinks that there should be absolutely zero kissing before marriage (even though he's kissed a girl before... he regrets it) so I was like okay that's great! Less temptation for sex. I'm fine with waiting. But he also has a problem with v-necked tops (even high ones) anything off the shoulder, leg showing above the knee, midriff, bathing suits, ripped jeans or anything. He immediately hates it. I used to wear all of that stuff until we got together. Now I'm afraid to or I fear he will leave me. I love him so much and I want to spend the rest of my life with him, but I'm constantly self conscious about "oh no can he see my collarbones in this top" and I don't even feel pretty anymore... Advice?
If he tries to assert authority on this issue in a controlling or manipulative way, it's mental abuse. I hate to be adding to the scaryness but a lot of marriages change in a snap the second the couple gets married. I would highly recommend pre marriage counseling and making sure you fully know this guy before taking your vows. If you love him it's all the more reason to get him to change now before you get married and he gets too comfortable with you. He should be able to respect you and appreciate the things you do for him. Turtle necks and all that is balony, you can dress modest and even fashionable and pretty without doing everything in your power to make sure no man will ever look at you the wrong way. This isn't the 17 and 1800's. All I am telling you is that I think you should be very careful and take it slow because a lot of people can get the sense of a red flag based on the information we have been given.

Upvote 0

Brokenhill

Praise God, i'm satisifed.
Jul 26, 2015
Arizona
✟19,363.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Kazzy,
He sounds like he has good intentions for your spiritual well being but just doesn't know how to properly express it.
I am encouraged to hear about men like this though, because it's so rare and it truly is a godly characteristic. As believers in 2018 we tend to compare our views on modesty or chastity to what is the current norm in westernized societies, but we really should be thinking about these kinds of things a 1st century Christian perspective...

I want to preface by stating that I don't really know you obviously so I'm not trying to make specific judgments against you...I'm just providing general biblical information.

For starters, when we think about beauty we should think about what makes someone beautiful is there ability to love and serve...who they are as a person...what their character is.

This I what the bible teaches:

1 Pet 3:3-5 "Your adornment must not be merely external—braiding the hair, and wearing gold jewelry, or putting on dresses; 4 but let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God. 5 For in this way in former times the holy women also..."
(notice that Peter starts to reference people like Sarah in the following verses which were around nearly 4,000 years before his audience. So he takes it outside of the local society at that time).

That passage is narrowing in on wives, but if we look at Galatians 5--the "fruits of the spirit" we can see godly characteristics for everyone...goodness, kindness, love, patience, etc...that is what makes someone beautiful.

When we are godly people, that should make us feel good first and foremost...not our outer appearance. I don't believe it's wrong to be a little concerned about our looks but it needs to be way low on the priority list and it ideally should never upset us.
________
You sound like a sweet girlfriend and you are patient and quite understanding of him...God bless you for that. Once again I think he has your best interest in mind. He could also have his spiritual fidelity in mind--as men we are very driven by the visual. We can easily be distracted into potential sexual temptation by women's attire. Now, it is always our responsibility as men to keep our own heart clean and not sin with the "lust of the eyes/lust of the flesh" but it definitely helps when women in the church are understanding of our struggle.
________
Now, as for him...he sounds like he needs to express himself in a more gentle and understanding way and be able to formulate why he believes what he believes and of course back it up with scripture!
________
Obviously I am not a woman and do not know what it's like to be one, but from observing women in American society (inside the church and out) I know it must be very challenging because there is this subconscious/unconscious competition and a need to always feel accepted and normal when it comes to your appearance. Just remember that in the end that stuff doesn't really matter at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gwen-is-new!
Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A few things I want to add.

You mentioned that he lets you wear but you want but it makes you feel uncomfortable as you know he doesnt like it. If he is visibly showing signs that he doesnt like it, it could just be a genuine dislike or it could be that he is deliberately manipulating you.

You mentioned his friends with bikini pictures, well that is double standards. If he is so against bikinis he should not be following them. Does he have the same standards for men or does he think it is ok for them to wear any swimming trunks they like?

The third point is if you do marry him you will likely go on to have kids. You will be bringing your children into a home with a very controlling father with views that I think the replies on here have shown are extreme. If you have a daughter do you want her to have the choice of dress she wants for her prom or have to wear something she doesnt want to because her father wont let her? What if your kids want to date? Children brought up in that kind of environment often rebel as soon as they leave home. How would he react if they suddenly started sleeping around, drinking heavily, etc. None of us want that for our kids but they are still our kids. How would he react?

A lot of being in a relationship is about being flexible so that your partner has some freedom. Both sides should be prepared to make some sacrifices and allow some things you like to go for your partner but equally they let go some things as well. The one that really stands out that I think he should have let go is the prom dress. You had spent a lot of money and loved your dress but he made you change it. I would expect most people to let that go if they loved their partner, but for him to make you change it shows that he is not flexible.

Upvote 0

discipler7

Oct 5, 2017
tog
✟42,302.00
Country
Heard Island And Mcdonald Islands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But he also has a problem with v-necked tops (even high ones) anything off the shoulder, leg showing above the knee, midriff, bathing suits, ripped jeans or anything. He immediately hates it.
Tell him .......

1CORINTHIANS.7: = Principles of Marriage
7 Now concerning the things of which you wrote to me:

It is good for a man not to touch a woman. 2 Nevertheless, because of sexual immorality, let each man have his own wife, and let each woman have her own husband. 3 Let the husband render to his wife the affection due her, and likewise also the wife to her husband. 4 The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. And likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. 5 Do not deprive one another except with consent for a time, that you may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again so that Satan does not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. 6 But I say this as a concession, not as a commandment. 7 For I wish that all men were even as I myself. But each one has his own gift from God, one in this manner and another in that.

8 But I say to the unmarried and to the widows: It is good for them if they remain even as I am; 9 but if they cannot exercise self-control, let them marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

Marry had a little lamb
Little lamb, little lamb
Marry had a little lamb
Its fleece was white as snow
And everywhere that Marry went
Marry went, Marry went
Everywhere that Marry went
The lamb was sure to go ...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

JOHN.1:29 = 29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!

Upvote 0

HatGuy

Some guy in a hat
Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
✟123,338.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you so much! Reading this encouraged me. I'm definitely a fellow bikini lover but he can't know that or he will think of me differently, he would think of me as not being pure. He's told me before that one of his favorite things about me is how I'm not like other girls... I feel like if I talked to him about this his opinion of me would change.

As a side note for everyone reading this, he's not a bad guy... He's sweet, chivalrous, funny, affectionate, and most of all he loves the Lord with all his heart. He has good intentions. I think he's just taken it a bit too far...
This kind of thing becomes a big deal when you're married. If you want to spend the rest of your life with this guy, you can't constantly feel like you can't be yourself. If you can't be yourself with your husband, who can you be yourself with?

He obviously has good intentions and feels like he is honouring the Lord, but obviously feels as if you dishonour the Lord if you have a different opinion about this. Unfortunately, this kind of stuff can't be ignored - it won't magically disappear one day. If you guys don't talk about it you're going to run into major trouble in the future.

How do your pastors feel about this? Is there some sort of rule in your church? Are you going to different churches? If so, that's a problem. If you're serious, you need to start thinking about a church together where you can be under the same teaching and same expectations. Then there will be more clarity between the two of you about what's acceptable and what ain't.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,863.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
How do your pastors feel about this? Is there some sort of rule in your church? Are you going to different churches? If so, that's a problem. If you're serious, you need to start thinking about a church together where you can be under the same teaching and same expectations. Then there will be more clarity between the two of you about what's acceptable and what ain't.

Let's not over-complicate this. Plenty of married couples don't worship in the same church, and do just fine. Whether they worship together or not, they need to be able to communicate about these things.

(Besides, surely very few churches would actually have rules about hemline, neckline, etc?)

Upvote 0

HatGuy

Some guy in a hat
Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
✟123,338.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let's not over-complicate this. Plenty of married couples don't worship in the same church, and do just fine. Whether they worship together or not, they need to be able to communicate about these things.

(Besides, surely very few churches would actually have rules about hemline, neckline, etc?)
I've never really seen this work well for married couples, and I don't think it's appropriate 'team work' as a couple. I do think it's easier to be under the same teaching to avoid theological arguments. But okay, it's not a debate forum, so I'll leave it at that.

Reactions: Brokenhill
Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟183,262.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There's nothing extreme in knee to neck, and shoulder to shoulder coverage, whatsoever. This used to be the standard in the west prior to WWII and is still the dress code in places where modesty is valued over vanity.

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟183,262.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

A married couple is supposed to be a single unit. To have such differing views on faith is NOT healthy, no matter how much liberals try to spin it to the contrary.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,863.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
A married couple is supposed to be a single unit. To have such differing views on faith is NOT healthy, no matter how much liberals try to spin it to the contrary.

Dude... I'm happily married, it's been twelve years this year. Husband and I have never been members of the same church. He supports my faith walk, I support his, we both support our daughter's. Absolutely zero issues, and nothing to do with being liberal or spinning.

I just hate to see unnecessary requirements or burdens placed on people, especially when (again) this couple aren't even engaged, much less married.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟183,262.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Dude... I'm happily married, it's been twelve years this year. Husband and I have never been members of the same church. He supports my faith walk, I support his, we both support our daughter's. Absolutely zero issues, and nothing to do with being liberal or spinning.

I just hate to see unnecessary requirements or burdens placed on people, especially when (again) this couple aren't even engaged, much less married.

You have a really bizarre idea of what 'one flesh' actually is. If one of your believes one thing, and the other believes something else, on the subject matter of faith, then I beg to disagree on the use of "marriage" to define that relationship.

And if that seems overly personal, don't use yourself as an example in arguments.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,863.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You have a really bizarre idea of what 'one flesh' actually is. If one of your believes one thing, and the other believes something else, on the subject matter of faith, then I beg to disagree on the use of "marriage" to define that relationship.

And if that seems overly personal, don't use yourself as an example in arguments.

We have very little disagreement. Our choice of faith community has more to do with a sense of vocation (mine) and a family connection (his). And it works.

Anyway, the point being... a disagreement about modesty between a couple of teenagers who are dating, isn't necessarily going to be resolved by telling them they have to be in the same church.

• Agree
Reactions: Kerensa
Upvote 0

Lucian Hodoboc

I've already read the Bible
Jul 8, 2017
-
Visit site
✟89,082.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The less temptation you may cause through the way you dress, the better. It's not only about abstaining from sex before marriage. It's also about trying to avoid lustful thoughts, and men are usually more prone to get aroused by looking at parts of the female body that women would not get aroused by if they looked at men (such as the thighs, the shoulders etc.). Also, from the clothes you mentioned, I don't think that ripped jeans and midriff are appropriate for a Christian girl.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So my boyfriend and I. We both believe in no sex before marriage. Me growing up, I was taught there was no problem with light kissing, or wearing bathing suits etc. My boyfriend however, thinks that there should be absolutely zero kissing before marriage (even though he's kissed a girl before... he regrets it) so I was like okay that's great! Less temptation for sex. I'm fine with waiting. But he also has a problem with v-necked tops (even high ones) anything off the shoulder, leg showing above the knee, midriff, bathing suits, ripped jeans or anything. He immediately hates it. I used to wear all of that stuff until we got together. Now I'm afraid to or I fear he will leave me. I love him so much and I want to spend the rest of my life with him, but I'm constantly self conscious about "oh no can he see my collarbones in this top" and I don't even feel pretty anymore... Advice?
How he treats you is more important than his opinions about your fashion style and dress code. You may be more concerned about whether or not he honest, kind, considerate and serving you, not only himself. You may not want to marry a man who will physically harm you. Being in a relationship may require some compromise.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
There's nothing extreme in knee to neck, and shoulder to shoulder coverage, whatsoever. This used to be the standard in the west prior to WWII and is still the dress code in places where modesty is valued over vanity.
Wow
She's 18 n not living in 1920. It's 100 years later.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So I’ve always been an outside-of-the-box dresser. Not anything provocative, just different. When I met my first husband, my uniform was jeans and a polo with sneakers, long dresses with a front slit or a back slit or two side skits, and either a plain V or scoop neck tee shirt with tank top underneath (you know, the plain Jane Walmart shirts), or the racerback tanks with Disney something on it... And sneakers (yes, even with dresses). When I worked at a police department that had a set uniform, I’d wear crazy (generally mismatching) socks.

My first husband was extremely conservative and hated how I dressed. Jeans and polos were out (too many) and the shirts were too (too form fitting) as were the dresses (too form fitting) and the sneakers (too manly). Any critique with my look was either “you look nice” or a list of complaints which could have been anything from my tacky earrings to my too many rings to my jeans looking sloppy... And I’d always accommodate the complaint because I wanted his approval.

A couple years of this was fine. But by year 5? Let me tell you, it. Was. Exhausting. It was depressing. It was resentment building. It felt like an impossible standard that I couldn’t meet.

After I lost 80ish pounds of weight I put on thanks to an illness and fertility treatments, I went shopping for a whole new wardrobe and found the style I am still at now (either flowy dresses and tops and other BoHo chic style pieces, or Disneybouding-style 50’s style vintage, or basically anything from Express).

Man did my husband hate it, lol. He wasn’t into the hippie look, the kiddie look, or the edgy look. He was flat out embarrassed to be seen with me, even though what I was totally normal. The thing was, after losing the weight, I was more comfortable with who I was and I didn’t require the validation of somebody else to feel good. Of course I didn’t want to embarrass him, but really, I was wearing clothes in a style not typical to our area, but I didn’t look inappropriate.

The problem with my outfits wasn’t me, it was him and his insecurity projected onto me. That’s something he needed to work on with my help, not something for me to solve. The response to that (feeling insecure), was my problem... That was for me to fix. Once I addressed that, things were so much better for me in my skin.

Ultimately, we got divorced (for other reasons) and I remarried to a guy who, very genuinely, thinks I look beautiful in everything. Even when I was in a hospital gown after almost getting my intestines removed, he said with total sincerity “you look tired, but you look so beautiful right now.” When I blew him off, he said “whatever, you went through a lot, I saw how strong you are in a new way, and it looks beautiful. Plus you’re not wearing a bra and I can see your butt through your pants. You look hot.”

You live in a society where you can wear what you want. Let me tell you, finding the person who understands that and is genuinely into that means you’ve lessened your relationship struggle points. Less struggle points is always very good in a relationship you’re looking to be in forever.

Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I have not read every response. I have skimmed through.

Something to keep in mind is that how your relationship operates now, even in the small things, will likely dictate how it will operate in the future, even in the large things. The standard for your relationship dynamics are being set right now. Once the way of operating is solid, it is hard to get out of without damaging the relationship.

Based on what you said, this is the time to develop your self respect and assertiveness in your relationship. This is the time to test out the relationship strength and how flexible he can be when it comes to your personal choices. It doesn't sound like you are being immoral. It does sound like he is having a double standard about other girls' clothing.

Obviously his thoughts and expectations make you feel bad and insecure. You can't relax and enjoy the time you have with him fully because you are concerned about what he thinks about your clothing. His expectations are hurting you emotionally and financially based on the prom dress situation.

If you give in to him about something like this, then you are setting up a relationship where he has the power to manipulate you emotionally. This thing is operating based on his thoughts and feelings, and your's are being denied. It's a very one sided thing.

I believe in not causing your brother to stumble. But I also believe in personal responsibility in guarding your own thoughts and choices. It doesn't sound like you are doing anything over the top, clothing wise, so if you fit in with the general culture, then I don't think how you dress is wrong.

If he is that good of Christian, if his standards on morality are that high, then he should have no trouble handling the sight of some collarbone.

I think you should have a talk with him and let him know that you are going to be dressing as you see fit, you love him, but you cannot and should not change who you are as a person to make him happy. Test your ability to set personal boundaries for yourself and his ability to respect that. Get this major mile stone out of the way now before you are too deep in this relationship.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
@Kazzy0614 just dress the way you like. Good luck W your chat W him. Try not to get too emo
So I’ve always been an outside-of-the-box dresser. Not anything provocative, just different. When I met my first husband, my uniform was jeans and a polo with sneakers, long dresses with a front slit or a back slit or two side skits, and either a plain V or scoop neck tee shirt with tank top underneath (you know, the plain Jane Walmart shirts), or the racerback tanks with Disney something on it... And sneakers (yes, even with dresses). When I worked at a police department that had a set uniform, I’d wear crazy (generally mismatching) socks.

My first husband was extremely conservative and hated how I dressed. Jeans and polos were out (too many) and the shirts were too (too form fitting) as were the dresses (too form fitting) and the sneakers (too manly). Any critique with my look was either “you look nice” or a list of complaints which could have been anything from my tacky earrings to my too many rings to my jeans looking sloppy... And I’d always accommodate the complaint because I wanted his approval.

A couple years of this was fine. But by year 5? Let me tell you, it. Was. Exhausting. It was depressing. It was resentment building. It felt like an impossible standard that I couldn’t meet.

After I lost 80ish pounds of weight I put on thanks to an illness and fertility treatments, I went shopping for a whole new wardrobe and found the style I am still at now (either flowy dresses and tops and other BoHo chic style pieces, or Disneybouding-style 50’s style vintage, or basically anything from Express).

Man did my husband hate it, lol. He wasn’t into the hippie look, the kiddie look, or the edgy look. He was flat out embarrassed to be seen with me, even though what I was totally normal. The thing was, after losing the weight, I was more comfortable with who I was and I didn’t require the validation of somebody else to feel good. Of course I didn’t want to embarrass him, but really, I was wearing clothes in a style not typical to our area, but I didn’t look inappropriate.

The problem with my outfits wasn’t me, it was him and his insecurity projected onto me. That’s something he needed to work on with my help, not something for me to solve. The response to that (feeling insecure), was my problem... That was for me to fix. Once I addressed that, things were so much better for me in my skin.

Ultimately, we got divorced (for other reasons) and I remarried to a guy who, very genuinely, thinks I look beautiful in everything. Even when I was in a hospital gown after almost getting my intestines removed, he said with total sincerity “you look tired, but you look so beautiful right now.” When I blew him off, he said “whatever, you went through a lot, I saw how strong you are in a new way, and it looks beautiful. Plus you’re not wearing a bra and I can see your butt through your pants. You look hot.”

You live in a society where you can wear what you want. Let me tell you, finding the person who understands that and is genuinely into that means you’ve lessened your relationship struggle points. Less struggle points is always very good in a relationship you’re looking to be in forever.
ugh I love your post so much

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
My wife dated a guy like this for a little while before we met. Both of them at the time in their early 20s. He thought a woman's place was being a homemaker and popping out babies. He literally said "I'd want to come home to dinner on the table every night." As "traditionally romantic" (I say this loosely) as this sounds, I am of the firm biblical belief that while a husband and wife each have their roles, they're free to define those roles for themselves, taking into account the other's own personal convictions and finding compromise. My wife knew this is something that would be a wedge between them, and ended the relationship.

I'm sure that there are women out there that hold onto more traditional views, but I for one support my wife when she had a job, support her in deciding for herself what to wear and how to behave. I simply support her for who she is. I found myself attracted to her simply because of who she is. We don't go into a marriage hoping to change a person, we go into it because we love them.

I commend you both for your striving of abstinence, but I do echo other's views here and say they're rather extreme.

• Winner
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.