Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Jesaiah said:
Hi folks!
wave.gif

I may have asked this question here before so forgive me if I have.

But I would like to ask what book would your recommend that is a good representation and explaination of the Lutheran view of soteriology besides the Book of Concord?

Blessings

Justin
GASP!!!!!!!! :eek:

There is no beside the BoC

-James :p

Upvote 0

JVAC

Baptized into His name
Nov 28, 2003
Fresno, CA
✟2,369.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Jesaiah said:
Hi folks! :wave:

I may have asked this question here before so forgive me if I have.

But I would like to ask what book would your recommend that is a good representation and explaination of the Lutheran view of soteriology besides the Book of Concord?

Blessings

Justin
"Freedom of a Christian Man" Martin Luther 1520
"Two Kinds of Righteousness" Martin Luther 1519
"Preface to the Epistle of St. Paul to the Romans" Martin Luther 1522
"Bondage of the Will" Martin Luther 1525

To name a few

-James

Upvote 0

theologia crucis

evangelical apostolic orthodox catholic
Oct 31, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟8,548.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Justin,

I'm not sure what the best book to answer your question, but here are some dogmatic works that explain it:

Evangelical Lutheran Dogmatics, Vol. 3

Adolf Hoenecke (1835-1908) is one of America's foremost Lutheran dogmaticians. His examination of doctrine and practice always begins in Scripture. This is an English translation from the author's original language of German. Volume 3 starts on the subject of soteriology--the doctrine of salvation. Included are the doctrine of election, Christology, and the order of salvation: the call, enlightenment, rebirth, conversion, repentance, justification, the mystical union of believers with God, and sanctification. The author also examines the teachings of errorists from ancient times through the 19th century. At a time when thinking concerning justification and sanctification is muddled even among some Lutherans, Hoenecke's precise and thoroughly scriptural writing is a breath of fresh air.

from Northwestern Publishing

Christian Dogmatics

A helpful handbook of doctrinal theology based on Francis Pieper's Christliche Dogmatik. Presents the voluminous material in Pieper's work in a clear, concise, complete, and practical manner for the use of theology students.

Sections include

Nature and concept of theology,
Holy Scripture,
God,
Creation,
Divine providence,
Angels,
Man,
Sin,
Freedom of the will,
God's grace,
Christ,
Soteriology,
Saving faith,
Conversion,
Justification,
Sanctification,
Means of grace,
Law and Gospel,
Baptism,
Lord's Supper,
the Universal church,
the Visible church,
the Public ministry,
Eternal election, and
Eschatology.

I've got the above book and recommend it.

Christian Dogmatics Volume 2

Volume 2 of 4. A translation of Christliche Dogmatik, Volume 2 addresses
the saving grace of God
the doctrine of Christ, including his deity, humanity, attributes, humiliation, exaltation, and offices
the application of salvation, including saving faith, conversion, and justification by faith.

I can send you the brief "Doctrine of Soteriology Section" from Mueller's book if you want. Of course, there are many other doctrines (Christ, conversion, the grace of God to fallen mankind, faith, justification by faith, etc.) that directly relate to it that you'll probably need to read to get the whole picture...

I'm sure there's other books that might more succinctly address your questions, though, I'm just not sure which ones they are!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.