British Columbia
✟70,746.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Lots of books to choose from, but if I had to go with one, I'd pick The Bible and the Holy Fathers for Orthodox (if that counts). Basically all the Gospel and Epistle readings for the liturgical year, with patristic commentary for each passage. There's also an edition that goes through the Psalms with corresponding commentary. Both are really neat and cover a range of different Church Fathers.

https://www.amazon.com/Bible-Holy-Fathers-Orthodox-hardcover/dp/096225360X

https://www.amazon.com/Grace-Psalte...PFCNVSEM15J&psc=1&refRID=GBYQSWZJCPFCNVSEM15J

Upvote 0

Gifts From Above

Oct 23, 2020
Washington
✟8,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Which books your recommend from church fathers?

I guess Philokalia is a good option

Interesting. I’ve never heard of the Philokalia before. I would definitely like to learn more about it.

• Agree
Reactions: Frankl
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Ezana

Ιησούς Χριστός Νικά
Oct 22, 2020
British Columbia
✟70,746.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Lots of books to choose from, but if I had to go with one, I'd pick The Bible and the Holy Fathers for Orthodox (if that counts). Basically all the Gospel and Epistle readings for the liturgical year, with patristic commentary for each passage. There's also an edition that goes through the Psalms with corresponding commentary. Both are really neat and cover a range of different Church Fathers.

https://www.amazon.com/Bible-Holy-Fathers-Orthodox-hardcover/dp/096225360X

https://www.amazon.com/Grace-Psalte...PFCNVSEM15J&psc=1&refRID=GBYQSWZJCPFCNVSEM15J
The Bible and the Holy Fathers is a treasure. It is a great resource.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I have linked the entire Philokalia vol.2. It is not my intention to download all of this casually as other posters have downloaded recommended approaches to the Philokalia.

There is a certain saint’s writing which only covers 25 pages that I think is worth reading for its brevity & depth. St. Thalassios is who I am thinking of. Take note, he was a very ascetic monk & few times he indicates this but he was talking mostly to monastics ( not laity). So when he says, “waste your body with fastings & vigils ...” ( 1st. c. #25) that is obviously not generally for laity. I think St. Thalassios is a great example of brevity & depth in Orthodox expression. His Trinitarian statements towards the end of his work are so succinct ( & must be pondered though). His writings appear on pages 306-332 in the printed Philokalia ( vol.2), numbers might vary on pdf.

Having trouble with a download but here is a general search link:

philokalia volume 2 pdf - Google Search

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Justin-H.S.

May 8, 2020
The Shire
✟115,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A good one by a modern church father: Wounded by Love by St Porphyrios.

I just got it and it’s very good for those of us who have the Calvinist tendency to give ourselves the negative self-talk that we are totally depraved and that we may not be predestined for salvation.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A good one by a modern church father: Wounded by Love by St Porphyrios.

I just got it and it’s very good for those of us who have the Calvinist tendency to give ourselves the negative self-talk that we are totally depraved and that we may not be predestined for salvation.

agreed

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Audrey Sophia

Nov 22, 2020
Wilmore
✟15,899.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hello! I am a long-time member of an OCA parish in KY. I signed in here because I am looking to make connections with Orthodox Christians who have the passion, ability, and time to read church father(s) of their choosing and summarize the main points. in exchange, I'm interested in editing, formatting, and self-publishing the material for an Orthodox publishing press, which would credit you for your authorship and provide you with book royalties. The entire goal of my idea is to make the church fathers accessible to modern readers. I know this is a strange introduction post, but I'm not on social media and am unsure how to find people who may be interested in discussing this idea. Please respond and/or message me if you or anyone you know loves reading the church fathers!! I'd love to talk!
Sincerely, Audrey

Upvote 0