Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I would like to say I'd participate, because it sounds like it could be good. :)

But it would depend on the reading, and scheduling. I have books I'm supposed to be reading, and books I need to read and review, so I might not be able to keep up.

• Agree
Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I normally read only nonfiction too.

Next in my lineup (some must read pretty quickly)

Courage to Pray
Our Thoughts Determine Our Lives (reread)
Garden of the Holy Spirit

I never did finish Laurus - fiction about a fool for Christ in Russia that seems to intersect with more recent?

And I'd been recommended to read Joshua (also fiction and I think Catholic)

But I can rarely make time for fiction. Except for rereading a few CS Lewis I haven't finished any fiction in probably over 10 years.

I'll probably reread The Great Divorce and/or Screwtape Letters soon.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

graphite412

Eastern Orthodox Neophyte
Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
✟30,318.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps a public domain book would be best? Something in the CCEL patristic volumes. I haven't read almost all of those volumes. I would also recommend a bi-monthy get together. Once a month is too easy to forget about and too long of a time to remember important details of the text.

Early Church Fathers - Christian Classics Ethereal Library

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps a public domain book would be best? Something in the CCEL patristic volumes. I haven't read almost all of those volumes. I would also recommend a bi-monthy get together. Once a month is too easy to forget about and too long of a time to remember important details of the text.

Early Church Fathers - Christian Classics Ethereal Library

That's not a bad idea. Public domain, I mean. Well, Patristics is a good idea too.

I also have access to a pretty broad PDF library and can share anything in there. I really have needed to compile a list. It's mostly stuff that is available free online somewhere anyway, and not anything recent.

Bi-monthly is also not bad for me. Are we all in the continental US or do we have other time zones?

Upvote 0

Kajiki

Site Supporter
Nov 11, 2017
Maryland
✟47,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I’d hate to butt in as I’m not yet converting to Orthodoxy. I’m currently actually listening to the Ellwood City Monastery live online. I’ve even listened to the Ancient Faith Radio a few times. I’m curious, if time allows, could I join in perhaps? I’d keep quiet and just be an onlooker if that would be preferred. I’ve grown so passionate for learning especially Patristics.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

graphite412

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
✟30,318.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’m curious, if time allows, could I join in perhaps? I
I'm sure that that would be fine with everyone.

Are we all in the continental US or do we have other time zones?
I'm on central time in the US, but I also work overnights but have weekends off, so my schedule is flexible.

Reactions: Kajiki
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

graphite412

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
✟30,318.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm graphite412 on skype as well. How many people can be a part of group chat on skype now days? That might limit the group number. What book should be choose? I would say that we should stick with canonized saints or desert wisdom type literature such as St. John Cassian's Conferences, and skip Origen and Tertullian for now. I would also say we should skip St. Augustine as well.

Upvote 0

lawndartboy

Jan 5, 2011
✟9,416.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You can have a lot of people on group chat, i think over 20. Do you guys want to try Against Heresies - Irenaeus? We could start with book 1? I know the only problem with the book is that there are many references to things which pertain to his time period which i don't have a background knowledge on.

Upvote 0

graphite412

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
✟30,318.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you guys want to try Against Heresies - Irenaeus? We could start with book 1?
Sounds great to me. I'll get started on reading.

You can have a lot of people on group chat, i think over 20
Does this include audio chat or just text chat? Audio chat would be way better than typing everything out by hand. So far it only looks as if we have six people interested anyway. How about a day and time? Saturdays normally work fine for me as long as it is does not conflict with vespers.

Upvote 0

graphite412

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
✟30,318.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
a lot of the names are Greek, and I would recommend using google translate on a phone or tablet to help with the translation since it can be drawn by finger swiping. I've been taking notes as well. In total I think the first book is about sixty or seventy pages.

Upvote 0