Washington
✟687,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
No, you are not wrong, the tool is there on FB for a reason. But I think a more important question is why are you on FB if you dont want people challenging you.

It is the internet, you will get challenged. It is your choice if you want to ignore it or respond to it.

That is a good question. I don't know, to be perfectly honest. Maybe it's because everyone else is doing it.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟687,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I don't block people but I hardly follow anyone these days because so much of what gets posted is gross or mundane. You can be friends but not follow people but they can still see anything you post so that's the tricky bit for me. I basically never comment or post anything because I feel afraid of people rolling their eyes, criticising in the comments, feeling annoyed or offended or whatever. I follow a lot of Christian pages and like or love stuff but don't comment or share much. I have joined a Christian Facebook (not sure if it's official name is Faithbook or Jesus.Social but anyway it looks just like FB except it's green not blue) but I don't know anyone and it doesn't seem very busy, maybe it's new? Social media is such a big part of life now, I find myself using it several times a day (not just the messenger). I'm at home a lot lately (due to illness) and I need social connection online, it's a valid need!
Edit: Oh yeah, this is the Christian FB I'm talking about Christian Social Network | Join Jesus Social Network

That was very informative. Thank you very much

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is a good question. I don't know, to be perfectly honest. Maybe it's because everyone else is doing it.
Well, if you are coordinating with friend through it, or just communicating with friends, then maybe you should stay, or find another way to communicate with them.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟687,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I don't use FB, but I guess this is about blocking in general. I don't think it's either right or wrong, and it's more about what we can take and what/who we want to be dealing with.

There's a reason I personally don't like blocking people, unless it's some weird "harassment" that just won't stop, or if there is no other way to stop the spamming of pictures and details I don't care about in the least. I'm already restricted in my connections with others, I don't go out nearly enough, I don't actually deal with people much as it is. If someone doesn't agree with me or even challenges me, I can practice my tolerance for people being different and even aggressive, and just let it be, instead of letting the situation have power over me. I can have my bad days too, and if I'm dealing with someone then, I do wish that they would just let it go and not let it bother them.

I am extremely reactive by nature and somewhat judgemental too, and I don't want that to be the case. This doesn't mean I should stick my head into whatever it is I don't like, but at least I can learn to be a bit more tolerant, and remind myself that I shouldn't always give in to my knee-jerk reaction, as if I had to fight or flee, or to do something right away. Some things I can just let be, accept them even if my emotions tell me otherwise, and move on without forcing myself to respond to everything. Because if I reacted every time with action when I'm dealing with someone saying something I really don't like, I would find myself eventually from some small hugbox or echo chamber where differences or weaknesses aren't tolerated, and I would find it really hard to deal with different people then. Not saying this is the case for you, but it is for me. Anyway, I don't think it's such a big deal, I just felt like typing this wall of drivel.

Thank you very much for sharing. I guess I just don't have that much tolerance. I don't know

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟687,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Don't concern yourself with it. I too have a list of blocked people on there that is a mile long. I especially do not consider this a religious matter. In case you are wondering, I do not block family, but also do not add family members on there.

Thank you very much

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟687,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I never block people on facebook. I use it about once a week
and most everyone is family or High School friends. I was in a couple
interest groups in High School with choir and stage crew.

Yeah, I use Facebook a lot.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟687,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Let me debate them, ha,ha, ha.

Its ok, we need to turn away from sin filled people. We love them, and help them, and even walk 2 miles with them, but we do not share in there sins.

Thank you very much for your input.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟687,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I block people on Facebook a fair amount because I get fed up with seeing strangers in the People You May Know section or because I get fed up with their political or religious views or because I knew them back in high school and despised them back then too or whatever. There are lots of reasons to block someone.

Bottom line, life is too long to put up with a bunch of annoying characters in what is supposed to be my downtime. If blocking them is the only way to avoid them, I’m happy to do it. I don’t see a moral or ethical dimension to this.

Actually, that's one of the reasons why I block people as well. I don't like seeing friends suggestions from people that I know don't really like me, or people I don't like.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟687,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
not on FB and no plans to join
not on twitter or other social media, either
just on a couple forums

social media sites like FB take up a lot of people's time

if so many online people bother you, why not drop it?

Probably because I have so many memories on Facebook.

But you are probably right.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟687,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
You are most welcome. Jesse.

The various forms of media and all that entails and involves that media can be quite tyrannical in its "expectations" of us.

Yes, it can

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟687,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Well, if you are coordinating with friend through it, or just communicating with friends, then maybe you should stay, or find another way to communicate with them.

That is something to think about. I just have a lot of memories on Facebook. But at the same time, I can download all my photos and information from Facebook if I choose to leave.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟687,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
You should be able to deal with family on facebook.
I have murderers in jail in mine.

Wow

You must be very accepting. Please do not take that as sarcasm. I actually meant what I said.I always have to explain that because sometimes people have taken what I said as sarcasm.

But I think that's pretty neat that you are accepting.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I use Facebook for business purposes. I have one personal connection. We’ve known each other for 13 years and have similar lifestyles. I don’t have anyone blocked.

Social media can be used for good. But oftentimes its an avenue for negativity, jealousy, and unkindness. I don’t have time for that.

Upvote 0

Didymus J

Oct 23, 2019
Independence
✟15,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I do not enter into contracts (EULA) with organizations that outwardly oppose Christian ethics and do everything in their power to abolish religious freedoms and anything that represents Christ. To do so is unwise and spiritually immature. In my view, it also grants permission to the prince of the power of the air to use that site as he and his emissaries choose to influence and infiltrate the mind and the will of the user. In essence, by accepting the terms of the EULA or contract, you give adherence to every anti-Christian philosophy and effort of that organization to eliminate your right to worship God freely and minimize your Christian principles.

Upvote 0