• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Blasphemy of Holy Spirit Revisited, Having Horrible Doubts

NoahSK

Apr 25, 2019
Sarasota
✟32,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So for those that haven't seen it, here is my post where I go into what I'm going through in more detail (it's a must read before continuing): Have I blasphemed the Holy Spirit?

Anyway, now that we're all on the same page, I'm going to get straight to the point. These thoughts will come and go, but for some reason, they're much stronger now. So much so that I'm left asking questions I would've been too scared to ask before. Now, I'm going to ask some questions that are going to sound horrible and blasphemous, though that is not my intent. My intent is to have my questions answered in a way that will hopefully get rid of some of my doubt, and that will enable me to stop doubting that Jesus is indeed the messiah. I have several, so here we go. First question: when the Pharisees first accused Him of being demon possessed, Jesus said "A kingdom divided against itself cannot stand," along with other quotes to try and tell them why they were wrong and stuff. The thing is, I'm having trouble seeing how "A kingdom divided..." is a good refutation. I'm just thinking about how people today who aren't true believers or who are false prophets performing exorcisms in an attempt to validate themselves in others eyes, or how a villain can set up his own goons and then beat them up in front of people just to make himself look good and trustworthy before others. How is what Jesus said and did any different to these people?

I know it sounds really bad, and sounds like blasphemy, but I don't want it to be. All I want is for my doubts to be answered. I want to believe, but these thoughts aren't helping me. Obviously, I'm worried that im committing the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. I really hope I'm not. I honestly can't take this any more. I hate my life; why can't I just believe?

PS: For some reason, I'm not as worried about committing the unpardonable sin as I have been before. I've heard that if you are afraid you haven't done it, you haven't done it. But what if I'm not afraid I've done it? I kind of just feel eh about everything right now. Like I don't care much. So now I'm trying to make myself worry so that I can say that I'm worried and that I haven't done it. I don't know. Uugghh.

God is good

Oct 4, 2016
Michigan
✟201,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So for those that haven't seen it, here is my post where I go into what I'm going through in more detail (it's a must read before continuing): Have I blasphemed the Holy Spirit?

Anyway, now that we're all on the same page, I'm going to get straight to the point. These thoughts will come and go, but for some reason, they're much stronger now. So much so that I'm left asking questions I would've been too scared to ask before. Now, I'm going to ask some questions that are going to sound horrible and blasphemous, though that is not my intent. My intent is to have my questions answered in a way that will hopefully get rid of some of my doubt, and that will enable me to stop doubting that Jesus is indeed the messiah. I have several, so here we go. First question: when the Pharisees first accused Him of being demon possessed, Jesus said "A kingdom divided against itself cannot stand," along with other quotes to try and tell them why they were wrong and stuff. The thing is, I'm having trouble seeing how "A kingdom divided..." is a good refutation. I'm just thinking about how people today who aren't true believers or who are false prophets performing exorcisms in an attempt to validate themselves in others eyes, or how a villain can set up his own goons and then beat them up in front of people just to make himself look good and trustworthy before others. How is what Jesus said and did any different to these people?

I know it sounds really bad, and sounds like blasphemy, but I don't want it to be. All I want is for my doubts to be answered. I want to believe, but these thoughts aren't helping me. Obviously, I'm worried that im committing the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. I really hope I'm not. I honestly can't take this any more. I hate my life; why can't I just believe?

PS: For some reason, I'm not as worried about committing the unpardonable sin as I have been before. I've heard that if you are afraid you haven't done it, you haven't done it. But what if I'm not afraid I've done it? I kind of just feel eh about everything right now. Like I don't care much. So now I'm trying to make myself worry so that I can say that I'm worried and that I haven't done it. I don't know. Uugghh.
Jesus really loves you Noah and I just want you to know that Jesus is our Saviour because everything that was said about Him in the old testament and what He said about Himself in the new testament came true. God loves you and Jesus is Lord.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The unpardonable sin is "ridiculing" the Holy Spirit.
Do not fear this if you believe God exists.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
These arguments are secondary issues.
Do you believe Jesus died for your sins and that he rose from the dead?
What evidence/arguments have you got for or against the resurrection.
As Paul said, If Christ did not rise there is no Christianity.
checkout these coldcasechristianity videos/articles on the resurection:-
resurrection | Cold Case Christianity

Upvote 0

NoahSK

Apr 25, 2019
Sarasota
✟32,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
These arguments are secondary issues.
Do you believe Jesus died for your sins and that he rose from the dead?
What evidence/arguments have you got for or against the resurrection.
As Paul said, If Christ did not rise there is no Christianity.
checkout these coldcasechristianity videos/articles on the resurection:-
resurrection | Cold Case Christianity
That's the other thing. I really don't want to ask this, and I feel horrible asking it, but I want my doubts answered. Maybe after this question you'll see why I'm scared about committing the unpardonable sin. Here goes: It is generally understood that Jesus' resurrection (along with His other miracles) was the proof of His divinity. However, I've also heard that false believers or false prophets are also able to perform "miracles" to some extent, thereby able to deceive themselves and others with relative ease. In fact, I've heard that the antichrist is supposed to raise from the dead as well (correct me if I'm wrong). So, with this knowledge, how can performing miracles be proof for anything, if the enemy and his servants are able to also do them as well (I've also heard that God can and has enabled false prophets to perform miracles in order to deceive the masses or something. Again, correct me if I'm wrong). This has been feeding all these doubts and thoughts I'm having. How can we tell the difference between the two? I'm sorry again if this sounds bad, I just want these doubts cleared up. I need to ask my questions to get them answered. Honestly, asking all these questions hurts me. I want to believe, but these doubts are really making it hard. I don't know why this is a problem all of a sudden. I honestly wish I had never read that stupid quote. Please help me, I don't want to fall away completely because of these thoughts (if I haven't already; honestly, these blasphemous thoughts and doubts are really scaring me and I feel like my faith is being destroyed. I've been told it's the OCD making me doubt or whatever, but it feels like it's more than that, but I can't help or control it. I honestly really hate this. If anyone can help, please do. I hate this. I really don't want it to be the unpardonable sin...

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's the other thing. I really don't want to ask this, and I feel horrible asking it, but I want my doubts answered. Maybe after this question you'll see why I'm scared about committing the unpardonable sin. Here goes: It is generally understood that Jesus' resurrection (along with His other miracles) was the proof of His divinity. However, I've also heard that false believers or false prophets are also able to perform "miracles" to some extent, thereby able to deceive themselves and others with relative ease. In fact, I've heard that the antichrist is supposed to raise from the dead as well (correct me if I'm wrong). So, with this knowledge, how can performing miracles be proof for anything, if the enemy and his servants are able to also do them as well (I've also heard that God can and has enabled false prophets to perform miracles in order to deceive the masses or something. Again, correct me if I'm wrong). This has been feeding all these doubts and thoughts I'm having. How can we tell the difference between the two? I'm sorry again if this sounds bad, I just want these doubts cleared up. I need to ask my questions to get them answered. Honestly, asking all these questions hurts me. I want to believe, but these doubts are really making it hard. I don't know why this is a problem all of a sudden. I honestly wish I had never read that stupid quote. Please help me, I don't want to fall away completely because of these thoughts (if I haven't already; honestly, these blasphemous thoughts and doubts are really scaring me and I feel like my faith is being destroyed. I've been told it's the OCD making me doubt or whatever, but it feels like it's more than that, but I can't help or control it. I honestly really hate this. If anyone can help, please do. I hate this. I really don't want it to be the unpardonable sin...

I don't think your understanding Scripture.

Trust in Christ for your salvation, as Jesus told us in John 6:38-39:
  • "For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me.And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day."
That's a promise, Jesus will lose none of those God gave Him.

And who are those people?
  • "All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away."
That's it! If you have come to Jesus you will never be driven away..

It sounds so simple, to believe in Jesus our Messiah as our Lord and Savior is it, but it's sometimes more difficult because first we have to continually trust in Him and His work, not in our own. And for human beings it can be difficult sometimes as we are used to doing things in order to receive things. Our lives are transactional and gifts are awkward and difficult to accept.

Plus, the Bible talks about doing things, but we must realize those things the Bible talks about is done out of love for Jesus, but that's not what gets us salvation - Jesus's sacrifice does that. The work of salvation is His alone.

For salvation, all you have to do is believe. To stay on the right path, just pray and spend some time in study. Stay within mainstream Christianity to be safe. If you commit a sin, ask God to forgive you - He promises He will and we can definitely trust in His promises.

Your not going to be lost... trust Christ to keep you safe. HE says that He is the Shepard who will leave the flock to go find you if you fall behind or wander... so trust Him to do exactly that...

This is your part, Believe in Him.

Upvote 0

NoahSK

Apr 25, 2019
Sarasota
✟32,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think your understanding Scripture.

Trust in Christ for your salvation, as Jesus told us in John 6:38-39:
  • "For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me.And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day."
That's a promise, Jesus will lose none of those God gave Him.

And who are those people?
  • "All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away."
That's it! If you have come to Jesus you will never be driven away..

It sounds so simple, to believe in Jesus our Messiah as our Lord and Savior is it, but it's sometimes more difficult because first we have to continually trust in Him and His work, not in our own. And for human beings it can be difficult sometimes as we are used to doing things in order to receive things. Our lives are transactional and gifts are awkward and difficult to accept.

Plus, the Bible talks about doing things, but we must realize those things the Bible talks about is done out of love for Jesus, but that's not what gets us salvation - Jesus's sacrifice does that. The work of salvation is His alone.

For salvation, all you have to do is believe. To stay on the right path, just pray and spend some time in study. Stay within mainstream Christianity to be safe. If you commit a sin, ask God to forgive you - He promises He will and we can definitely trust in His promises.

Your not going to be lost... trust Christ to keep you safe. HE says that He is the Shepard who will leave the flock to go find you if you fall behind or wander... so trust Him to do exactly that...

This is your part, Believe in Him.
Yeah, but if I'm having these doubts or whatever, how can I be a believer? It doesn't make sense how I could be saved but have these really horrible doubts...

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah, but if I'm having these doubts or whatever, how can I be a believer? It doesn't make sense how I could be saved but have these really horrible doubts...

Your doubts are coming from a mental illness. Your OCD right? That's an illness and is what is causing you to have doubts that someone who isn't ill may not have..

God knows this, He knows you and all your faults - and He loves you, and died for your sins even though. He's not going to fault you for things out of your control.

Doubts happen to the best of us, so whenever you have a doubt, Just pray to God and say "I believe, now help my unbelief!"

That's in the Bible, and when the man said this Jesus gave the man what He asked for...

Jesus knows you have doubts that you can't control... just say a small phrase like I mentioned above, and throw the bad thought out of your mind.

Concentrate on other things instead.. don't concentrate so much on your faith. Jesus knows your faults..so find a hobby and try and think of other better things.

• Optimistic
Reactions: NoahSK
Upvote 0

NoahSK

Apr 25, 2019
Sarasota
✟32,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Your doubts are coming from a mental illness. Your OCD right? That's an illness and is what is causing you to have doubts that someone who isn't ill may not have..

God knows this, He knows you and all your faults - and He loves you, and died for your sins even though. He's not going to fault you for things out of your control.

Doubts happen to the best of us, so whenever you have a doubt, Just pray to God and say "I believe, now help my unbelief!"

That's in the Bible, and when the man said this Jesus gave the man what He asked for...

Jesus knows you have doubts that you can't control... just say a small phrase like I mentioned above, and throw the bad thought out of your mind.

Concentrate on other things instead.. don't concentrate so much on your faith. Jesus knows your faults..so find a hobby and try and think of other better things.
Yeah, but I don't know if the doubts are because of my OCD. I mean, I could see myself having those doubts even without OCD I think...

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah, but I don't know if the doubts are because of my OCD. I mean, I could see myself having those doubts even without OCD I think...

God knows we are human and faulty, God knows us better than we know ourselves.

It really sounds like you have a mental illness issue surrounding religion.. if this the case you REALLY have to limit your exposure to scripture, and stick with some structured teachings that aren't overly stressful on your disease.

Do you have family that can help you with this structure?

Does you Pastor or Preist know about your disease and how it affects your religion/faith?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NoahSK

Apr 25, 2019
Sarasota
✟32,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God knows we are human and faulty, God knows us better than we know ourselves.

It really sounds like you have a mental illness issue surrounding religion.. if this the case you REALLY have to limit your exposure to scripture, and stick with some structured teachings that aren't overly stressful on your disease.

Do you have family that can help you with this structure?

Does you Pastor or Preist know about your disease and how it affects your religion/faith?
I mean, yeah, but I don't know how much they can help. Also, limiting exposure to Scripture seems a little counter intuitive or something. Also, I feel like avoiding reading the Bible is a bad thing, OCD or not. Another thing is that I struggle with inappropriate contentography, and I've been told that not spending enough time in God's Word has been a main cause of my increasing struggle against it.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I mean, yeah, but I don't know how much they can help. Also, limiting exposure to Scripture seems a little counter intuitive or something. Also, I feel like avoiding reading the Bible is a bad thing, OCD or not. Another thing is that I struggle with inappropriate contentography, and I've been told that not spending enough time in God's Word has been a main cause of my increasing struggle against it.

Here.. you may try reading this book:

Can Christianity Cure Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder? | Baker Publishing Group

Amazon has it as well and it's well reviewed, so it might be good..

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That's the other thing. I really don't want to ask this, and I feel horrible asking it, but I want my doubts answered. Maybe after this question you'll see why I'm scared about committing the unpardonable sin. Here goes: It is generally understood that Jesus' resurrection (along with His other miracles) was the proof of His divinity. However, I've also heard that false believers or false prophets are also able to perform "miracles" to some extent,
I've heard that the antichrist is supposed
(I've also heard that God can and has enabled false prophets to perform miracles in order to deceive the masses or something.
(if I haven't already; honestly, these blasphemous thoughts and doubts are really scaring me and
I feel like my faith is being destroyed.
I've been told it's the OCD making me doubt or whatever, but it feels like it's more than that, but I can't help or control it

No it is not generally understood that Jesus's resurection. Either he did rise from the dead or he didn't.
It is either true or false.
If you believe in the evidence accept that it is true.
If you do not believe in the evidence accept that it is false and find some other religeon.

You keep saying you have heard, this or this or this.
What relevance do they have to Christianity.
Do you think a TV magician makes Christianity false, why beliewve that an enemy of Christianity ability to do something you cannot explain, invalidates Christianity.

Get the basics right and stick to that.
Accept that you, like me, are a sinner saved by Gods amazing love and also accept that, that love is great enough to cover all your and my screw ups through out our lives.

Put your trust in Jesus like a drowning man puts his trust in a life belt. He clings on with all his strength.

Talk to your minister about your fears and to your doctor to see if your ocd can be managed or calmed down.

• Useful
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You're going off the premise that doubt = not saved. That's not true. Your mind is STILL trying to come up with every angle that it can to convince you that you're not saved. Your job is to refuse to get tangled up in these questions. What are some ways that you can start doing that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums