Black man shoots 6 year old white girl and both parents--Media bias in reporting based on race

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟653,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
They included pictures. Do you really have to have the race spelled out other than in a picture?
The headlines they write spell it out whether there's a picture or not. They do that to draw attention specifically to the skin color of those involved because that's what they want the narrative to be about. Same as if a headline reads, "Billionaire businessman donates X amount to political campaign". In that case, they'd be making the wealth of the donor the central theme. If it said, "White businessman donates X amount to black candidate's campaign", what do you think the point would be in headlining the article that way? It's pretty obvious.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not the reporter at any of those news organizations writing the headlines.
No one said you were the reporter, so non sequitur. You are however one of the ones complaining that race was NOT mentioned so it would seem that race is your concern.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No one said you were the reporter, so non sequitur. You are however one of the ones complaining that race was NOT mentioned so it would seem that race is your concern.
Not mentioned? Did you actually read my OP?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It is all about race., almost obsessive.
Now you're not even discussing anything. Go back and read the OP and then we can discuss what I actually said.

Upvote 0

HantsUK

Oct 27, 2009
Hampshire, England
✟215,935.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Reading the OP I had assumed that the girl had been killed. Or at least, critically injured. Not just a minor injury (although the emotional effects will likely be terrifying). I'm surprised that this was even newsworthy in America.

Isn't the real issue gun ownership and shooting?

Kansas City Man Charged for Shooting Black Teen Who Went to the Wrong House to Pick Up Siblings Of course, has to mention the guy who was shot is black.

Manhunt underway after neighbor shoots North Carolina father, 6-year-old No mention of the race of the shooter, or the family he shot.

The double-standard is clearly visible within the MSM when it comes to emphasizing when a black person is shot by a white person, but ignoring it when a black person is the shooter.

But in the first case, the story reports a racial an alleged racial motive, so mentioning colour in the headline is relevant. In the second, there is no suggestion of a racial element.

To me, the headlines seem to accurately summarise the important aspects of these tragic news stories.

But an alternative way to view this is that headlines include anything that is exceptional or unexpected. Which would lead to the opposite conclusion to what the OP is claiming.

I wondered how the BBC reports race/colour. A quick albeit limited search shows that a person's colour is not usually mentioned. Then I wondered how the Daily Mail reports things (as they tend to be more sensational):
The only mention of colour is "Ralph Yarl, a black 16-year-old ..".

• Winner
Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
But in the first case, the story reports a racial an alleged racial motive, so mentioning colour in the headline is relevant. In the second, there is no suggestion of a racial element.

To me, the headlines seem to accurately summarise the important aspects of these tragic news stories.
The section of your post that I'm quoting here is basically what I'm referring to. When a white person shoots a black one, the narrative of the news story is written in a way that assumes a racial motive. When the black guy is the one doing the shooting of an entire white family, the assumption is that it's not racially motivated--even though there hasn't even been a trial in either case. We simply have the word of the "journalist" who wrote the story, and then the conclusions drawn from it by a public that all-too-often takes news stories at face value.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Now you're not even discussing anything.
No, I am discussing something whether it is what you want or not.

Go back and read the OP and then we can discuss what I actually said.
You're discussing race and how it is reported or not reported. Your outrage seems to be on the not reported.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No, I am discussing something whether it is what you want or not.

That makes no sense, and you'd see that if you would now go back and read your own post that I replied to.

You're discussing race and how it is reported or not reported. Your outrage seems to be on the not reported.

Reported when the shooter is white, but never when the shooter is black. Got it now?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That makes no sense, and you'd see that if you would now go back and read your own post that I replied to.
It makes perfect sense.

Reported when the shooter is white, but never when the shooter is black. Got it now?
Right, you’re outraged when race is not mentioned.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It makes perfect sense.

Like I said, go back and read it again.

Right, you’re outraged when race is not mentioned.

From the OP, which you continue refusing to read or understand:

"It would seem that race is only a factor when white people shoot black people."
"And yet the MSM still questions why we have such a racial divide in this country, yet they fail to recognize their roll in it. Using the narrative that assumes race is only a factor when a white person does wrong against one who is black, but never the other way around is doing nothing to unite us as a country. Perhaps unity isn't what they want."

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Like I said, go back and read it again.

From the OP, which you continue refusing to read or understand:

"It would seem that race is only a factor when white people shoot black people."
"And yet the MSM still questions why we have such a racial divide in this country, yet they fail to recognize their roll in it. Using the narrative that assumes race is only a factor when a white person does wrong against one who is black, but never the other way around is doing nothing to unite us as a country. Perhaps unity isn't what they want."
Yeah, you really seem obsessed with race.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Nice try at making it all about me.
Perhaps you could try a different tact?
Take the OP quote, remove all the references to race and your opposition/concern (whatever it is) to the way it's being reported by the media.
Perhaps then that other thing you mean to be talking about would be clearer?

This one:

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps you could try a different tact?
Take the OP quote, remove all the references to race and your opposition/concern (whatever it is) to the way it's being reported by the media.
Perhaps then that other thing you mean to be talking about would be clearer?

This one:

Sure, remove all references to race in the OP (and title) of a thread about MSM bias in their reporting based on race of the people in their reports. :rolleyes:
I guess that would make sense to pretty much anyone who would rather discuss anything but the topic of the thread.

Upvote 0