Wisconsin, United States of America
✟653,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Part of "guide(ing) them at that stage in their life", to me, includes keeping firearms locked safely away when the parent isn't around to supervise.

That would certainly be the case when the children involved have not proven themselves trustworthy, or are just too young to know any better. If they're 5 or 6 years old, like the kids in the video being discussed earlier, then they're obviously too young. But they can also be up to 17 years old and still be called "children". I know there are definately some mature people in their teenage years that could be trusted with a gun in the house. There are other things that can be called a "weapon" that children starting at 16 are trusted with even by our government. A car is one of them.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That would certainly be the case when the children involved have not proven themselves trustworthy, or are just too young to know any better. If they're 5 or 6 years old, like the kids in the video being discussed earlier, then they're obviously too young. But they can also be up to 17 years old and still be called "children". I know there are definately some mature people in their teenage years that could be trusted with a gun in the house. There are other things that can be called a "weapon" that children starting at 16 are trusted with even by our government. A car is one of them.
As I said earlier, if you wouldn't trust someone to drive a care unsupervised, you probably shouldn't trust them with a firearm unsupervised.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
As I said earlier, if you wouldn't trust someone to drive a care unsupervised, you probably shouldn't trust them with a firearm unsupervised.

That pretty much goes along with my thoughts as well. It comes down to trust, based on what they have proven to the parents. People are individuals--children included.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Than ...... what exactly?

Than today's adults? Than kids of 50 years ago? than adults of 50 years ago?

If you are going to make a comparison tell us what you are comparing it to.
I thought it was pretty obvious that I meant compared to adults.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
That pretty much goes along with my thoughts as well. It comes down to trust, based on what they have proven to the parents. People are individuals--children included.
Children are very stupid individuals. Even those that would considered geniuses and prodigies barely compare to a semi-functional adult. They are still insanely curious to a fault. A fault that can get them or their friends killed.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Children are very stupid individuals. Even those that would considered geniuses and prodigies barely compare to a semi-functional adult. They are still insanely curious to a fault. A fault that can get them or their friends killed.

Sounds like you're lumping everyone up to the age of 17 into one group of very stupid people based on personal experience with a few. But like I said, there are ones who can be trusted with a gun being in the house that isn't behind lock and key. I've met them. They were taught well by their parents.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Children can make very bad decisions, no question. I know I did stupid things when I was young, that I never would have done when I was older.

Now, one thing I wonder; if this gun was not available in the closet for this kid, would this girl have died?

Upvote 0