✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Louisville Cuban community rallies in NuLu at La Bodeguita de Mima
Fernando Martinez, a partner of the Olé Restaurant Group, publicly denounced the letter's demands on Facebook, calling them "mafia tactics" used to intimidate business owners. On Thursday, a small group of protesters gathered outside his restaurant, La Bodeguita de Mima, in protest.

Some of the demands requested by Black Lives Matter protesters included that NuLu businesses adequately represent Louisville's Black population by having a minimum of 23% Black staff, purchasing a minimum of 23% inventory from Black retailers or donating 1.5% of net sales to a local Black nonprofit or organization and requiring diversity and inclusion training for all staff members on a bi-annual basis.

Well...I hate to say this is what many of us saw coming, but...

I don't think people have a right to demand this Cuban restaurant business owner give them money and jobs and run his business according to their rules just because they're black and entitled.

I'm sure some of you do though....thoughts?

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

I don't think people have a right to demand this Cuban restaurant business owner give them money and jobs and run his business according to their rules just because they're black and entitled.

Be nice to also hear from one of the "Some owners have embraced the requests, saying they recognize the area's history and want to make their businesses more inclusive."

Just kidding, let's go with your "black and entitled". Definitely a civil way to start a discussion. Well done.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,630.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

I read the attached article and see no where that they demanded anything. They made requests as far as I can tell. Do you have anything that lists out how they were being extorted?

Upvote 0

JustSomeBloke

Unacceptable Fringe Minority
Site Supporter
Sep 10, 2018
My Home
✟177,126.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I read the attached article and see no where that they demanded anything. They made requests as far as I can tell. Do you have anything that lists out how they were being extorted?
This story has also been reported elsewhere.

Martinez was reportedly told that he had to put the list of demands on his door so "your business is not f--ked with."

That sounds like a protection racket, extortion, and mafia tactics to me.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

You're kidding right? It's in the OP

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Just kidding, let's go with your "black and entitled". Definitely a civil way to start a discussion. Well done.

Black and entitled is pretty generous....how about criminal scum? They're threatening local businesses for cash and jobs and support.

They aren't owed any of that.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Black and entitled is pretty generous....how about criminal scum? They're threatening local businesses for cash and jobs and support.

What criminal act have they performed? What is the nature of this threat?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
What criminal act have they performed? What is the nature of this threat?

Using threats and intimidation to extract money from a business is extortion...

Repercussions of non-compliance" are also listed. "Failure to accept and adhere to this contract will result in the following measures: Reduction in Racial Index Score/bias report to the Better Business Bureau; Social Media Blast: Notification, via all social media platforms, of non-compliance; Boycott: Public boycott. coordinated through social media and mail announcements, of your NuLu establishment AND any other business ventures owned by you; Protest: Visible, media-covered demonstration/sit-in outside your establishment; Invasive Reclamation:Visible, media-covered demonstration/sit-in outside your establishment; Invasive Reclamation: Placement of booths/tables outside your establishment where competing Black proprietors will offer items comparable to those offered by you."

Those are their stated intimidation tactics....pay them enough and they'll stop (if you believe that).

BLM activists' 'extortion' attempt of local restaurants backfires as Cuban owners fight back

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Repercussions of non-compliance" are also listed. "Failure to accept and adhere to this contract will result in the following measures: Reduction in Racial Index Score/bias report to the Better Business Bureau; Social Media Blast: Notification, via all social media platforms, of non-compliance; Boycott: Public boycott. coordinated through social media and mail announcements, of your NuLu establishment AND any other business ventures owned by you; Protest: Visible, media-covered demonstration/sit-in outside your establishment; Invasive Reclamation:Visible, media-covered demonstration/sit-in outside your establishment; Invasive Reclamation: Placement of booths/tables outside your establishment where competing Black proprietors will offer items comparable to those offered by you."

Those are their stated intimidation tactics....pay them enough and they'll stop (if you believe that).

BLM activists' 'extortion' attempt of local restaurants backfires as Cuban owners fight back

No 'sleeping with the fishes' or a visit from 'the boys' then?

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Different threats....but same intent. Give money to our organization.

They seem to be pressuring local businesses to actively support businesses run by local black people, not to give money to BLM.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tanj

Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

I was talking about what happened in the real world, not the fantasy version in your head.

So no criminal acts at all then. Thought as much.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I was talking about what happened in the real world, not the fantasy version in your head.

So no criminal acts at all then. Thought as much.

Threats to obtain money from a business is extortion.

https://www.lawserver.com/law/state/kentucky/ky-statutes/kentucky_statutes_514-080

It's really quite clear...

1) A person is guilty of theft by extortion when he intentionally obtains property of another by threatening to
:

e) Bring about or continue a strike, boycott, or other collective unofficial action, if the property is not demanded or received for the benefit of the group in whose interest the actor purports to act; or

There you have it...you can boycott or protest, but you can't ask them to give you stuff. Say it with me now....Black Lives Matter is extorting businesses...they're crooks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They posted the letter online.

When asked why she letter classified the goals included on her list as "demands," Wilson said she believes gentler language would have been ignored.

"We are in a society where we have to demand to exist," she said.

What an odd way of starting a conversation.

I want to be heard so I will use 'demand', but I'm not 'demanding' but wanting a conversation? Then get upset because of the wording you used got the attention you wanted, but not the response you were looking for.

You generally can't have a conversation if you put people on the defense. No doubt some won't react like that, but if you feel no one should? I guess they feel they need to rewrite human nature too.

For conversation to happen you need to acknowledge - and not get your nose bent out of shape - the reaction they received from this business owner, and find a way to move forward. Deal with the response you got in a way that the conversation can continue after settling the misunderstanding.

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Cuban Community Rallies Behind NuLu Restaurant

One of the speakers at Sunday’s rally was Ahamara Brewster, general of the Revolutionary Black Panther Party of Kentucky, who denounced the tactics of the BLM protesters as “terroristic.”

“That was another thing that was upsetting: You’re attacking a Black/brown establishment, but you’re in the name of Black Lives Matter,” Brewster said. “Something’s weird about this.”

Brewster spoke at the NuLu rally in solidarity with the Cuban community, asking attendees to support Louisville’s Black community by donating to Black-led organizations. She met with several members of the local Cuban community last week in a bid to open a dialogue and establish a cross-cultural understanding between the Cuban and Black communities of Louisville.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

The article says several times they were demands. We can’t be sure without actually seeing the letter the owner received. Now I would say that the protesting outside his business does provide evidence leaning more towards a demand rather than a request. If it were a merely a request then BLM members could’ve just filled out an employment application. What separates a request from a demand is repercussions as a result of failing to comply. I think in this case the repercussions are clear.

Upvote 0