Mayor Adams Signs Legislation To Prohibit Height Or Weight Discrimination In Employment, Housing, And Public Accommodations

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

“No one should ever be discriminated against based on their height and weight. We all deserve the same access to employment, housing, and public accommodations, regardless of our appearance,” said Mayor Adams. “It shouldn’t matter how tall you are or how much you weigh when you’re looking for a job, are out on the town, or trying to rent an apartment. This law will help level the playing field for all New Yorkers, create more inclusive workplaces and living environments, and protect against discrimination. the Commission looks forward to working with all stakeholders to cultivate an equitable city for all.

Not so sure about this one...I would say it depends on the form of the "discrimination".

Certain forms of "discriminating" based on physical attributes is pragmatic.

If it's purely optics kind of discriminating they're trying to prevent IE: "I don't like that person because fat people = yucky", and there's a major problem with that, then okay, I get passing a measure preventing that.

However, if it's a case where they may go after an employer (who's hiring a person for a physically demanding job) for hiring a strapping 6'1" 190 pound fit 20 year old over an obese 44 year old, and hit them with a fine for "discrimination", then I may take some objection to that. Even a case where a somewhat new business owner is trying to offer company funded healthcare plans, and having concerns about adding people to the staff who they know will end up needing a lot of resources...I can sympathize with the business owner on that.

Or perhaps a local restaurant owner who's operating out of an old building, if a morbidly obese person complains because their entranceway doesn't accommodate a motorized cart or doesn't have a bathroom stall that's 4 feet wide, are they gonna get in trouble?

I'm staunchly opposed to discriminating against people over circumstances of birth...I'm less sympathetic toward circumstances of choice. And obesity is something that falls almost exclusively in the latter (with very few legitimate exceptions).

I don't know if Eric Adams actually believes what he's saying with this one, or if it's a position he's been "coached" into taking by advisors.

Mr Adams said: 'We all deserve the same access to employment, housing and public accommodation, regardless of our appearance, and it shouldn’t matter how tall you are or how much you weigh.'

Him, being a former police officer...certainly he doesn't believe that. There's no way he believes that a person who's either 4' 11" and 90 pounds, or 375 pounds would be as an effective of a law enforcement office as a person who's a average height and healthy body weight. (and that's just one profession that he happened to be in). When he was on the force, if given the choice of who his backup would be, it's unlikely that he would see a morbidly obese person as equal to a healthy person.

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,807.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Him, being a former police officer...certainly he doesn't believe that. There's no way he believes that a person who's either 4' 11" and 90 pounds, or 375 pounds would be as an effective of a law enforcement office as a person who's a average height and healthy body weight. (and that's just one profession that he happened to be in). When he was on the force, if given the choice of who his backup would be, it's unlikely that he would see a morbidly obese person as equal to a healthy person.
It depends on certain health factor. Most jobs require a physical exam. For instance, a man, former body builder ,is over 6 feet tall and weigh 275 pounds+ could still perform as a peace officer.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It depends on certain health factor. Most jobs require a physical exam. For instance, a man, former body builder ,is over 6 feet tall and weigh 275 pounds+ could still perform as a peace officer.
A lean 275 pound bodybuilder would have a hard time passing a drug test I would think.

And actually, a lot of those guys end up having some heart problems that that could make certain tasks difficult.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,807.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
A lean 275 pound bodybuilder would have a hard time passing a drug test I would think.

And actually, a lot of those guys end up having some heart problems that that could make certain tasks difficult.
Maybe.Yet tall people can naturally weigh a lot is my point. When I was in high school, I dated a guy close to 7 feet tall and a basketball player. Of course he went on to be recruited to a major college's basketball program. He did not go into the NBA but his brother did. They were big guys and healthy enough to pass drug tests. As far as I know, they still live and are in their sixth decade of life.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Maybe.Yet tall people can naturally weigh a lot is my point. When I was in high school, I dated a guy close to 7 feet tall and a basketball player. Of course he went on to be recruited to a major college's basketball program. He did not go into the NBA but his brother did. They were big guys and healthy enough to pass drug tests. As far as I know, they still live and are in their sixth decade of life.

I would say that BMI would still probably lower for a really tall person like that when they're over 200lbs.

With regards to what's being referred to in a lot of the conversations about weight discrimination, it's not the LeBron James types of 260 pound people that are the crux of the conversation.

1685631493820.png

I don't think anyone's really discriminating against him because of the way his physique looks...nor does someone with his kind of build have to go out of their way to insist to everyone else that they're fit and healthy, every one comes to that conclusion naturally.

I think this type of legislation is geared towards pandering toward the "healthy at any size" movements, which largely seek to normalize a very unhealthy way of living.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟458,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

“No one should ever be discriminated against based on their height and weight. We all deserve the same access to employment, housing, and public accommodations, regardless of our appearance,” said Mayor Adams. “It shouldn’t matter how tall you are or how much you weigh when you’re looking for a job, are out on the town, or trying to rent an apartment. This law will help level the playing field for all New Yorkers, create more inclusive workplaces and living environments, and protect against discrimination. the Commission looks forward to working with all stakeholders to cultivate an equitable city for all.

Not so sure about this one...I would say it depends on the form of the "discrimination".

Certain forms of "discriminating" based on physical attributes is pragmatic.

If it's purely optics kind of discriminating they're trying to prevent IE: "I don't like that person because fat people = yucky", and there's a major problem with that, then okay, I get passing a measure preventing that.

However, if it's a case where they may go after an employer (who's hiring a person for a physically demanding job) for hiring a strapping 6'1" 190 pound fit 20 year old over an obese 44 year old, and hit them with a fine for "discrimination", then I may take some objection to that. Even a case where a somewhat new business owner is trying to offer company funded healthcare plans, and having concerns about adding people to the staff who they know will end up needing a lot of resources...I can sympathize with the business owner on that.

Or perhaps a local restaurant owner who's operating out of an old building, if a morbidly obese person complains because their entranceway doesn't accommodate a motorized cart or doesn't have a bathroom stall that's 4 feet wide, are they gonna get in trouble?

I'm staunchly opposed to discriminating against people over circumstances of birth...I'm less sympathetic toward circumstances of choice. And obesity is something that falls almost exclusively in the latter (with very few legitimate exceptions).

I don't know if Eric Adams actually believes what he's saying with this one, or if it's a position he's been "coached" into taking by advisors.

Mr Adams said: 'We all deserve the same access to employment, housing and public accommodation, regardless of our appearance, and it shouldn’t matter how tall you are or how much you weigh.'

Totally agreed. Some jobs require certain sizes. One has to be at least 4'11" to reach overhead compartments in planes, so that rules out super short people. Today, airline attendants have to be "proportional" in weight, whatever that means. I'm sure that an obese person would have difficulty fitting through the lanes in the plane.
If I'm hiring personal security, I want a guy the size of The Rock, not some skinny little 5 footer (unless he has some amazing ninja-like skills and is a sharpshooter).

Larger police officers and bouncers are better than small ones (with some exceptions, such as listed above). Some things just make sense.

Obesity is just ruled out by common sense in some jobs, like firefighter, etc.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,807.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
r n think this type of legislation is geared towards pandering toward the "healthy at any size" movements, which largely seek to normalize a very unhealthy way of living
Well, there should not be health requirements for a person applying for the rental of a house/apartment as would be for a person applying for a job.

Upvote 0