Passing Through
✟458,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Seems like a no brainer. I know a lot of people have a problem with black lives matter. They say it's about the riots. But then they also had a problem about it when it was just black people kneeling, or black people saying "hands up don't shoot", in fact they had a problem when it was just people saying "black lives matter".
There's something about that phrase that makes people mad, which is very unfortunate and shows why such a movement is important.
Nobody has a problem with PEACEFUL protests in appropriate places, like standing in the town square with signs. Don't block the roads (taking hostages who can't go home to get their kids or get to work), damage buildings, blow up cars, set fires, or take over restaurants and scream at diners who are minding their own business and we're good. I'll even honk or wave in support as I drive by, as I have for many other appropriate protests along sidewalks over the decades.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nobody has a problem with PEACEFUL protests in appropriate places, like standing in the town square with signs.(snip)
I don't know...some people had a very hard time with these protests:
upload_2021-2-7_11-55-5.jpeg

and what's more peaceful than taking a knee?
tulc(just a thought)

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟458,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
View attachment 294626
tulc(just a thought)
Well, that was ON the job. Wrong venue; not a wrong activity in itself.

You - or I - can't just take a knee in the middle of our workplaces to protest either, not while we are supposed to be executing our jobs. You have to do that on your OWN time, not the time your employer is paying for you to do your job.

Not the same thing at all.

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, that was ON the job. Wrong venue; not a wrong activity in itself.

You - or I - can't just take a knee in the middle of our workplaces to protest either, not while we are supposed to be executing our jobs. You have to do that on your OWN time, not the time your employer is paying for you to do your job.

Not the same thing at all.
uhmmm...I'm not a big sports fan so correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't his work actually start after the music plays? Not before? So on his own time, before the (literally) whistle blows. That's still the wrong time?
tulc(is just curious)

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟458,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
uhmmm...I'm not a big sports fan so correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't his work actually start after the music plays? Not before? So on his own time, before the (literally) whistle blows. That's still the wrong time?
tulc(is just curious)
Are you "on the job" when you have arrived at your office? Or can you do anything you want - no matter how offensive it may be to those who pay you - because it doesn't yet happen to be 8 a.m. so it isn't officially "office hours"?

Or would that activity best be done offsite...somewhere else on your own time?

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
View attachment 294626
tulc(just a thought)
As a military veteran I found this method of protesting to be distasteful and disrespectful.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟458,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As a military veteran I found this method of protesting to be distasteful and disrespectful.
Agree. It is particularly inappropriate during the national anthem, which has a specific meaning particularly for the military and their sacrifices from which we have all benefited.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you "on the job" when you have arrived at your office? Or can you do anything you want - no matter how offensive it may be to those who pay you - because it doesn't yet happen to be 8 a.m. so it isn't officially "office hours"?

Or would that activity best be done offsite...somewhere else on your own time?
So...that would be: "yes his job doesn't really start till the whistle blows/music stops and is still on his own time." Which would be my point. As for not being offensive, the whole idea of a protest is to draw attention to a situation you want people to pay attention too and I guess you'd have to decide which is more offensive to you: black people getting killed by the police or quietly kneeling in protest of them being killed? So again: what's more peaceful than taking a knee? And doing so in the "bully pulpit" of his being on national television where people will wonder why he's doing it.
tulc(just a thought)

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well as military vet myself I found it encouraging that he had the freedom (and the guts) to do so in spite of the firestorm he was engulfed in from his doing it. Isn't that what the militaries job is in America? Provide people the freedom to do things? Even the things we sometimes find distasteful and disrespectful?
tulc(is going to need more coffee soon)

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟458,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So...that would be: "yes his job doesn't really start till the whistle blows/music stops and is still on his own time." Which would be my point. As for not being offensive, the whole idea of a protest is to draw attention to a situation you want people to pay attention too and I guess you'd have to decide which is more offensive to you: black people getting killed by the police or quietly kneeling in protest of them being killed? So again: what's more peaceful than taking a knee? And doing so in the "bully pulpit" of his being on national television where people will wonder why he's doing it.
tulc(just a thought)
No, no, no. Your appeal to emotion doesn't carry the day; the law does. When you are suited up, you are REPRESENTING your employer. You don't get to do your own thing, unless the NFL - the employer- approves.

In reality, the First Amendment restricts only the government from abridging the freedom of speech; NFL players, as employees of private employers, leave their First Amendment free speech rights at the door.

Protests by NFL players cannot be prohibited by the government, but may be prohibited by their teams. As private employees, the NFL players are subject to the terms of their collective bargaining agreements, their employment contracts, contract law, and NFL rules, all of which could restrict their speech.

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Guys BLM is all about peace. They should be praised and honored, as peacemakers! They're the best!
There may be peacemakers in the BLM movement who have peacefully protested against racial discrimination and police brutality. I have no problem with peacemakers. It’s the people who have hijacked the movement to promote disrespect and destruction that I have a problem with.

Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

Religiot

Mar 15, 2020
Private
✟29,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nothing says "peace" more than rioting, assaulting people, shooting, and burning buildings and cars. (sarcasm).
I hope they win the prize, sincerely: it would show, unequivocally, that the darkness that is covering the world, has entered into all institutions of prominence, completely.

MEN LOVE DARKNESS

"He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God." --John 3:18-21

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟458,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I hope they win the prize, sincerely: it would show, unequivocally, that the darkness that is covering the world, has entered into all institutions of prominence, completely.

MEN LOVE DARKNESS

"He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God." --John 3:18-21
It won't be seen by those who have no eyes to see or ears to hear. It will only be seen by those who already understand it.

• Agree
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

Religiot

Mar 15, 2020
Private
✟29,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It won't be seen by those who have no eyes to see or ears to hear. It will only be seen by those who already understand it.
Yes, that's the idea.

All these spectacles serve to motivate only those who can see what is happening. My desire is for all who can see to be motivated to leave their institutions, including the many churches that support this evil, and to call others out.

Upvote 0

Religiot

Mar 15, 2020
Private
✟29,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There may be peacemakers in the BLM movement who have peacefully protested against racial discrimination and police brutality. I have no problem with peacemakers. It’s the people who have hijacked the movement to promote disrespect and destruction that I have a problem with.
The very premise of the statement, "black lives matter", assumes that they don't.

"For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness. And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain." --1 Corinthians 3:19-20

Racism, is condemned by God, as unrighteous judgment:

"Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment." --John 7:24

Whether under the guise of peace, like BLM, or through the threat of violence, like BLM, those who allow for racism, in any form, like BLM, are going against Christ, period.

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, no, no. Your appeal to emotion doesn't carry the day;
...that wasn't an "appeal to emotion" that was a point I was making. You said they couldn't do that "while they were working" I pointed out their job didn't actually start until the music stopped. Now it's "anytime they're in uniform"? that sounds an awful lot like someone moving a goal post. (to use a sport metaphor)

the law does.
there's a law that says "If you're in a sports uniform you can't take a knee"?

When you are suited up, you are REPRESENTING your employer. You don't get to do your own thing, unless the NFL - the employer- approves.
Unless you're willing to take the consequences for that action. Which he did.

In reality, the First Amendment restricts only the government from abridging the freedom of speech; NFL players, as employees of private employers, leave their First Amendment free speech rights at the door.
...who said anything about the First amendment? This seems to be the first time it's been brought up in this thread.

Protests by NFL players cannot be prohibited by the government,
So there isn't a law that says you can't take a knee during the music? thanks for clearing that up.

but may be prohibited by their teams. As private employees, the NFL players are subject to the terms of their collective bargaining agreements, their employment contracts, contract law, and NFL rules, all of which could restrict their speech.
Now it's about a rule. Which isn't what this discussion we're having is about. The question was:
post #44 said:
342904_5b37df8e56f87f0b240f7411a1c2baeb.jpeg

and what's more peaceful than taking a knee? (snip)
tulc(still just curious)

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟458,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
...that wasn't an "appeal to emotion" that was a point I was making. You said they couldn't do that "while they were working" I pointed out their job didn't actually start until the music stopped. Now it's "anytime they're in uniform"? that sounds an awful lot like someone moving a goal post. (to use a sport metaphor)

there's a law that says "If you're in a sports uniform you can't take a knee"?

Unless you're willing to take the consequences for that action. Which he did.

...who said anything about the First amendment? This seems to be the first time it's been brought up in this thread.

So there isn't a law that says you can't take a knee during the music? thanks for clearing that up.

Now it's about a rule. Which isn't what this discussion we're having is about. The question was:

tulc(still just curious)
Your post was indeed an appeal to emotion. Your first sentence is false and mocks my answer, when I'm correct. Secondly, you use the logical fallacy of false dilemma. You suggest one has to 1)approve black people getting killed OR 2) approve football players quietly kneeling.

No, there's a third option. On the JOB, you don't get to protest (if Employer says no). You do that on your own time, not on the "bully pulpit" provided by your high visibility job while on the job. Football players can protest elsewhere other than during the national anthem that honors the nation and the military. Inappropriate venue to divert attention, exactly as I said (though NFL is free to make its own rules, with which others will disagree.)

Here it your post: YOU: "So...that would be: "yes his job doesn't really start till the whistle blows/music stops and is still on his own time." Which would be my point. As for not being offensive, the whole idea of a protest is to draw attention to a situation you want people to pay attention too and I guess you'd have to decide which is more offensive to you: black people getting killed by the police or quietly kneeling in protest of them being killed? So again: what's more peaceful than taking a knee? And doing so in the "bully pulpit" of his being on national television where people will wonder why he's doing it. "

Upvote 0