• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

birth mom had Schizophrenia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 24, 2009
✟15,173.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
My birth mom had Schizophrenia. I didnt know that until after she had died. I tried to find information about my background especially if there was any mental illness in my family. I've read some on the subject but dont know too much about it. Is it like a bi polar disorder?
I was afraid after I found out that I would develop this later on in my own life because of some issues with dissociation that I had experienced. I felt like I was in the dark about all of this. I remember my foster mom saying that she took me to some doctors when I was a baby to rule out some things. I wonder if she could tell something was wrong with me as a baby.
i kind of feel like all those kinds of things are co connected the bi polar the dissociation with each other but dont know how yet.

blessestohonorgod

Feb 24, 2009
✟15,173.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
when i learned that my birth mom had this, i felt like someone had punched me in the stomache, i felt very sad and depressed. i didnt know if i would get it later on in life or if she had it all her life. i found out that one of my siblings had this from a child.
i didnt grow up with my birth mom, but her influences have always been in and apart of my life as if she had raised me.
i read that the gene passed down from the mother. Is that true?
Do you think that schizophrenia could be responsible for bi polar issues in a person's life? Just wondering.

blessestohonorgod

Upvote 0

ERice2nd

Oct 7, 2006
Michigan
✟16,346.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
well, some with Bi-Polar have psychotic tendencies like my sister, so I guess there are some similarities in some cases. the symptoms of Bi-Polar and Schizophrenia are very different though. I have also heard of it running in families as well, but I am not sure how accurate the info is.

the best way to find out for sure if you have it or not or if you are in a risk group is to see a psychiatrist. this is what I would recommend.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2009
✟15,173.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
mostly though i dont see any issues that pertain to schizophrenia in my life so i think i am okay for that. i think though it was the lord that held me back from being raised by my birth mom and putting me in foster care. i'm grateful to God for that because of the pain she was going through and God gave me a good home

blessestohonorgod

Upvote 0

lotuseskimo

Apr 12, 2008
U.S.
Visit site
✟17,126.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was predisposed to schizophrenia, and unfortuneatley found out after I had gotten it, I found out my uncle had, Being predisposed do you know what pushed it and cause me to go from predisposed to haveing it? Drugs and alchohol, and indulging in my off thoughts, STAY AWAY FROM DRUGS AND ALCHOHOL. Don't you touch the stuff, some people pay greater prices for these things, and you are lucky to find out if are one of them. Please do pm me more, we can talk about it more, I really hope to convey to the misteaks I made so that you don't make the same awful misteaks I did.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2009
✟15,173.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
thats pretty interesting and good to know. unfortunately i wasnt staying away from alcohol, my birth mom was an alcoholic, and i was following in her foot steps unfortunately but god is gracious so i am not like traveling down that road. my half sister talked to me once about asking the adoption agency if there was any mental illness in our family. she was angry with that agency for not giving us information. i dont know what she was trying to accomplish but she grew up with my birth mom so she was probably affected more by that, although you couldnt tell it by our lives. i dont know how predisposed i am to getting this, i hope i dont at all even when i am older, as i said one of my half sisters has it from a child.

blessestohonorgod

Upvote 0

lotuseskimo

Apr 12, 2008
U.S.
Visit site
✟17,126.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All in all, I definately think you can be predisposed to mental illness, and liveing a healthy lifestyle, never have to go through mental illness, just be aware of how important it is that you don't press the wrong buttons healthwise, and stay in good health, living healthy is the way to go anyway, it's like torture being addicted to something, and the journey out and is life long.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.